KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski
Started by: ~Flamboyant~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

Adults call it 'self-deprecating humor'. Oh, see what I did there, son.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:47 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
Dude, I am on your side, I told people to respect it.
Really? that looked like SARCASM agreement, I'm sorry I must have misunderstood you. Please please pleeeaaaase forgive my use of the derrogatory term shithead in describing you.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 07:12 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by One Free Man
I couldn't finish it. it was sent from the pit of hell.
No, that would be Inglorious Basterds.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 07:52 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
No, that would be Inglorious Basterds.
I actually thought that was pretty funny in parts.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:00 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by One Free Man
I actually thought that was pretty funny in parts.
No. It was the worst movie ever made, worse than Bloodrayne 2.

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:04 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

This film has always been just OK. It's referenced to infinity and that alone is enough for me to dislike it. Obviously if a movie is referenced so heavily in a good way it's evidence that it is good, though once it drills your patience with the same gag being spouted from everyone's mouth, it become that movie you really don't like.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:07 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
No. It was the worst movie ever made, worse than Bloodrayne 2.
nothing was really LOL funny, I just thought the concept of jews going back to **** up some germans was pretty good.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 08:15 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Scythe
This film has always been just OK. It's referenced to infinity and that alone is enough for me to dislike it. Obviously if a movie is referenced so heavily in a good way it's evidence that it is good, though once it drills your patience with the same gag being spouted from everyone's mouth, it become that movie you really don't like.

The first normal post, in a while.

I think my problem was going in expecting it to be hilarious...cause ...like....EVERYONE said it was. no expression

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 09:08 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by dadudemon
The first normal post, in a while.

I think my problem was going in expecting it to be hilarious...cause ...like....EVERYONE said it was. no expression

Perhaps your problem was that you expected it to be hilarious in the same way you found Epic Movie hilarious. It's obviously a different kind of humour, it is however hilarious to many. And I do think there are some laugh out loud moments in it, although that isn't what the movie is about so much.

But really, it is fair enough that some people won't find a movie as funny or enjoyable as others.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 03:15 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UYVLIOEO
Restricted

Account Restricted

This has got to be the most overrated film of all time. I have no idea what so many people see in it

Old Post Jan 12th, 2010 04:59 PM
UYVLIOEO is currently offline Click here to Send UYVLIOEO a Private Message Find more posts by UYVLIOEO Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

Originally posted by UYVLIOEO
This has got to be the most overrated film of all time. I have no idea what so many people see in it

Nah that title goes to The Dark Knight.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 01:33 AM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Seriously, if you don't like the Big Lebowski, which is an outright hilarious laugh out loud movie, then you certainly don't appreciate really really really good humor. Go **** yourselves. big grin

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 01:41 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by UYVLIOEO

Well, you're a ****en c*nt!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 01:41 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Perhaps your problem was that you expected it to be hilarious in the same way you found Epic Movie hilarious.

No. Epic Movie was not hilarious. There were funny parts, but it wasn't that funny. It was funnier than The Big Lebowski, but not by much.

It's obviously a different kind of humour, it is however hilarious to many. And I do think there are some laugh out loud moments in it, although that isn't what the movie is about so much.

It's hilarious to few, actually. It got poor reviews. It did poorly in the movie theater, but, for some reason, got a cult following with lots of internet troglodytes.

But really, it is fair enough that some people won't find a movie as funny or enjoyable as others.

Indeed. But, it is odd that so many people whose opinions I agree with on almost every film, ended up being wrong about one film. Maybe the enjoyment of the film comes more from it being an internet meme? Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I think the same thing happened with one of my top 5 films, Equilibrium: it's got a cult following on the internet, despite doing poorly.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 02:00 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Indeed. But, it is odd that so many people whose opinions I agree with on almost every film, ended up being wrong about one film. Maybe the enjoyment of the film comes more from it being an internet meme? Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. I think the same thing happened with one of my top 5 films, Equilibrium: it's got a cult following on the internet, despite doing poorly.

Ended up being wrong? Dadudemon, just because so many people's opinions are different than yours regarding The Big Lebowski doesn't mean they are wrong. It just means their opinion differs from yours.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 04:37 AM
Bardock42

No. Epic Movie was not hilarious. There were funny parts, but it wasn't that funny. It was funnier than The Big Lebowski, but not by much.

It's hilarious to few, actually. It got poor reviews. It did poorly in the movie theater, but, for some reason, got a cult following with lots of internet troglodytes.

Well, like I said, different people like different movies. I don't subscribe to the opinion that the people that do like it are really just kidding themselves or like it due to other factors (perhaps some do), I personally hadn't heard of it on the internet a friend of mine talked about it and a year or so later I found it in a DVD shop. I have watched it a few times now and I am pretty sure that I actually think it is a very, very funny movie, really it makes sense, you and me have some different humor that we partake in ourselves so it is just reasonable that we would enjoy some different comedies. It does however seem like you at times look for theories unrelated to taste why some people have a different taste in movies than you, in particularly I am thinking of the earlier accusations of "blanky syndrome" you threw at people liking the Original Trilogy over the Prequels. I am not saying that there can't be factors besides actual taste involved (on both sides), the way you word it though is bound to offend people who liked the movie.

Last edited by Bardock42 on Jan 16th, 2010 at 05:07 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 04:59 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
st417
Restricted

Account Restricted

not funny at all, bad movie

http://stormmovies.net.tc/
-----------------------------------

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 02:09 AM
st417 is currently offline Click here to Send st417 a Private Message Find more posts by st417 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Originally posted by st417
not funny at all, bad movie

Whatever, Sorgo.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 02:21 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dude what the **** are you talking about?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 02:21 AM
dadudemon

Well, like I said, different people like different movies. I don't subscribe to the opinion that the people that do like it are really just kidding themselves or like it due to other factors (perhaps some do), I personally hadn't heard of it on the internet a friend of mine talked about it and a year or so later I found it in a DVD shop. I have watched it a few times now and I am pretty sure that I actually think it is a very, very funny movie, really it makes sense, you and me have some different humor that we partake in ourselves so it is just reasonable that we would enjoy some different comedies. It does however seem like you at times look for theories unrelated to taste why some people have a different taste in movies than you, in particularly I am thinking of the earlier accusations of "blanky syndrome" you threw at people liking the Original Trilogy over the Prequels. I am not saying that there can't be factors besides actual taste involved (on both sides), the way you word it though is bound to offend people who liked the movie.

I don't disagree with most of that, but the movie is quite literally a cult classic. It didn't get it's fan-loving "success" until well after it's course had run. That's why it was called the first cult movie of the internet era.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...val-461663.html

It spread like a fire...like an internet meme, across the internets, earlier this decade. If you chose to be offended by what factually took place, that's fine...but don't blame it on me.

Did you think I pulled that out of my a$$ or something?

And, I really don't care about offending people with my opinions. The PT was better than the OT, for the most part, in almost every single way. I've listed those ways, and you even agreed with most of them. Sure, you can call the "blankie syndrome" a random assignment to an illogical phenomena, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm probably right about that, with quite a few people.

And yes, our senses of humor vary greatly. We are almost like opposites, when it comes to humor.

Last edited by dadudemon on Jan 17th, 2010 at 02:41 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2010 02:39 AM