KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » How exactly does Kryptonite kill Superman?

How exactly does Kryptonite kill Superman?
Started by: allofyousuckkk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheKahn
The Dude abides

quote: (post)
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
ok, then that is confusing to everyone who doesn't follow it really closely. The movie didn't explain that at all. Why didn't he use his willpower in the first superman when the kryptonite necklace was on him?

Also, the sun's rays would have been blocked out for most of the trip because the island was miles long and he was in the center underneath.

From what I could tell in the movie, the reason Superman was able to lift the island was because he dived underneath it and lifted a good chunk of the sea floor along with it (and thus was shielded from the kryptonite to some degree). As he was carrying it in the air the bottom layer of sea floor was falling away and as a result he was exposed to the kryptonite in the crystal island. At least that's the only way I could think of it and it still make sense. erm

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Last edited by TheKahn on Jul 4th, 2006 at 04:05 PM

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 03:57 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jargon343

Originally posted by BlackC@
It drains him of his powers because when Kryptons' red sun exploded, it covered the debris of Krypton in the red suns' radiation. Remember, under the light of a red sun Krytonians are mortal. If we got near a rock that was covered in radiation from our sun, we would get pretty sick too.

If you were hanging out with a rock that was emitting powerful radiation, it wouldn't matter where it got that radiation from. Whether it be our sun or another star or a nuclear explosion. All that would matter would be how badly it was contaminated.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2006 08:33 PM
Jargon343 is currently offline Click here to Send Jargon343 a Private Message Find more posts by Jargon343 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

That, my friend, is called a plot hole.

Old Post Jul 5th, 2006 09:00 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slowhand
Superguitarist

It is my contention that the Kryptonite necklace that Luthor gave Superman to wear was pure (right from the source) product. The chuck of rock that Luthor created in the Atlantic Ocean was not solid Kryptonite and possibly, a less potent variant. That would explain how he was able to launnch that big rock into space when he had a Kryptonite shiv in his kidney..

I hope that if there is another Superman film (please, please, please!), the screen writer will not rely on Kryptonite to fell Superman. There are other ways of putting the smackdown on him.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 07:37 PM
Slowhand is currently offline Click here to Send Slowhand a Private Message Find more posts by Slowhand Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

it was so not his will. Willpower has a limit

And my limit has been reached.

My will is for all on this board to kneel before Zaius!

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 09:08 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
And my limit has been reached.

My will is for all on this board to kneel before Zaius!

Go home, Orangutan. stick out tongue

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 09:20 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr. Zaius
Damn Dirty Ape

Tongue

Originally posted by roughrider
Go home, Orangutan. stick out tongue

You first, eh?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 09:24 PM
Dr. Zaius is currently offline Click here to Send Dr. Zaius a Private Message Find more posts by Dr. Zaius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Isn't Clint Eastwood waiting to drive you, in his pickup truck? stick out tongue

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 09:29 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kryptonite does not kill S proof

The 1948 first series-chapter "Man of Steel" he fell and lost pulse but as the rock was covered again he revived. Superman can die "apparently" to us and revive...he is different. Kryptonite is the opposite of yellow sun=sun is Superman kryptonite is Superman.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 01:39 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

The sun and minerals combined as a balance, but we don't know Krypton's full story. In time the minerals grew in bigger proportions caused by moisture as the sun approached, creating the breakdown.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 02:04 AM
redcaped is currently offline Click here to Send redcaped a Private Message Find more posts by redcaped Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Praylu
Exit Prophet Enter Praylu

ok, then that is confusing to everyone who doesn't follow it really closely. The movie didn't explain that at all. Why didn't he use his willpower in the first superman when the kryptonite necklace was on him?

Also, the sun's rays would have been blocked out for most of the trip because the island was miles long and he was in the center underneath.

Well for one the kryptonite necklace was many times the amount of kryptonite Superman still had lodged inside of him after Lois removed most of it. Second, the kryptonite on the necklace was from Addis Ababa where a portion of the debris landed directly from the source thus making it much more potent and pure.

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

SPIDER-MAN 3 DIRECTOR'S CUT PETITION HERE

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 05:01 AM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

1978<2006 that belongs to an old movie and nothing from it counts in my list. No spamming.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 07:52 AM
Praylu

Originally posted by redcaped
1978<2006 that belongs to an old movie and nothing from it counts in my list. No spamming.

What do you mean nothing from it counts? Superman Returns is a sequel to those first 2 films, so it directly connects together regardless. Spamming? Please...I've been here for years, there's no need.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 06:10 PM
Praylu is currently offline Click here to Send Praylu a Private Message Find more posts by Praylu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
redcaped
Restricted

Account Restricted

There is absolutely no evidence at all that this movie is where 1 and 2 left off. Yes, I heard it but that's just giving you an inside...a clue but not the actual statement. You've got to be clear with the audience all the time because sometimes they don't follow.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 06:21 PM
Praylu

Originally posted by redcaped
There is absolutely no evidence at all that this movie is where 1 and 2 left off. Yes, I heard it but that's just giving you an inside...a clue but not the actual statement.

It's fact my friend, Returns is a sequel to Superman 2 whether it properly continues the story from then or not does not change this.

Additionally, in case you didn't notice the pics I posted are entirely relevant considering Bryan Singer included the origin of the kryptonite stold from the museum by Lex Luthor being that of Addis Ababa....again. There is a an all too obvious crystal clear shot of the label underneath the broken glass case in Returns when the camera zooms in and the text takes up about half the screen.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2006 06:41 PM
Dan-El
The Emerald Archer

Radiation poisoning

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 05:15 AM
Dan-El is currently offline Click here to Send Dan-El a Private Message Find more posts by Dan-El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

But it's said that if Superman would dive into the sun his atoms would become over-charged and he would die.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2006 02:30 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sheldogg

hey

Who really cares this forum has prob been dead for a while but...did anyone else notice the length of the shot while Luthor's island floats off into zero gravity? Yeah...a director like Singer doesn't hold a shot like that for no reason. At some future juncture this giant krytponite meteor is going to cause trouble for the man of steel...it's a meteor now, ja? Got a powerful load of those mass-forming crystals on it too. Anyone else thinking this meteor is going to collide with a large stable mass (a planet in the milky way in all likelihood, given the Dickensian storyboard nature of ppl writing stuff like this) and create a new version of pre-apocalyptic version of the planet Krypton itself?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 09:41 AM
sheldogg is currently offline Click here to Send sheldogg a Private Message Find more posts by sheldogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Re: hey

Originally posted by sheldogg
Who really cares this forum has prob been dead for a while but...did anyone else notice the length of the shot while Luthor's island floats off into zero gravity? Yeah...a director like Singer doesn't hold a shot like that for no reason. At some future juncture this giant krytponite meteor is going to cause trouble for the man of steel...it's a meteor now, ja? Got a powerful load of those mass-forming crystals on it too. Anyone else thinking this meteor is going to collide with a large stable mass (a planet in the milky way in all likelihood, given the Dickensian storyboard nature of ppl writing stuff like this) and create a new version of pre-apocalyptic version of the planet Krypton itself?

I'm not. It seems more likely it would form a giant ball of jagged kryptonite crystals.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 10:58 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SuperkatmanX

honestly i have only but one way to resolve this.. CAUSE HIS FREAAKIN SUPERMAN!!!

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 05:36 PM
SuperkatmanX is currently offline Click here to Send SuperkatmanX a Private Message Find more posts by SuperkatmanX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote