KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » New KMC Search Engine

New KMC Search Engine
Started by: Raz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Raz
Meister

Admin

Warning New KMC Search Engine

I am in the process of transitioning over a brand spanking new lightning fast search engine for KMC.

Due to this transitioning process new posts won't enter the search engine until we go fully live. This should be by the weekend.

As of right now, "find all posts" is the only search using this new search engine. By the weekend, we shall get rid of the Google search and make vB search the default again. And hopefully "search by thread" should be here aswell.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 01:18 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Cool raver

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 01:41 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Awesome smile the google search is pretty much all but useless, because on the off-chance you actually DO find what you're looking for, it simply gives you the thread it found it in. Not much help there when it's a large thread and you're looking for a certain post.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 02:02 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Good choice.

I guess i can just go straight to google for my Text-only format of KMC stick out tongue

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 05:37 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

Oh wow Good idea if i must say so myself laughing out loud

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 08:56 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

The main search has been migrated over now, so should work OK.

Still some things to do:

* Index was updated yesterday so won't show newer results - will be fixed by the weekend

* Search by forum is not yet available - will be fixed by the weekend

* Search results as titles isn't available - will be fixed soon once i knock some kinks out.

Please test it out and make any suggestions / comments here smile

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 09:23 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raz

Still some things to do:

* Index was updated yesterday so won't show newer results - will be fixed by the weekend

* Search results as titles isn't available - will be fixed soon once i knock some kinks out.

"Due to current server load, search has been automatically disabled. Please try again later.
Please consider using Google search for the time being."

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 09:28 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Raz

Still some things to do:

Okay, no more server strain...

Tested out the new search and I'm on a computer which is slower than my home machine. Even with that factored in the search results pop up in a matter of milliseconds. Great fix Raz.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2006 11:10 PM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

Nice idea.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 09:20 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Update

New search is up and running and blindingly fast. There are some new advanced operators you can use in your search:

• userid: search by user - so userid:1 will only return results by me. You can get the userid of a user by looking at the URL from the profile of the person you want to search by. Or by entering the username in the advanced section of the search.

• forumid: search by forum - so forumid:61 will only return results from the OTF. You can get the forumid by looking at the URL of the forum.

• threadid: search by thread - so threadid:10813 will only return results from the "Random Comments" thread (our largest on KMC). You can get the threadid again by looking at the URL of the thread.

• title: search by title - title:google will return all threads with the word google in them.

Only thing left is "results as thread" option, which will be done by the end of this week.

Enjoy!

Old Post Jul 10th, 2006 06:25 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Will the update of the "Find all posts" remain running with delay?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 09:22 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Will the week for "results as threads" be over soon?

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 09:26 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Originally posted by Storm
Will the update of the "Find all posts" remain running with delay?
A max 3 hour delay is in place, because the index is updated every 3 hours. There is a alternative for mods - check my notes thread in the lounge.
Originally posted by Bardock42
Will the week for "results as threads" be over soon?
I've had a look at adding this, but due to the way the posts are indexed, I'll have to come up with an advanced solution to showing true "results as threads".

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 08:29 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Hmm, I missed it due to my holiday.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Aug 1st, 2006 08:32 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 05:23 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by Scoobless

What the f**k?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 05:51 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Impediment
What the f**k?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Sep 19th, 2006 08:57 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Could someone provide me an example of how I would search a specific thread for a specific string?

I saw the bit about being able to search by threadID. That's great! Is there a way to search that particular threadID for two words?

For example: top or hat.

top and hat.

The first should return results for "either or" but does not require both.

The second would require the "post" result to contain both words.

I tried that and it didn't work.

Basically, what are all of the search operators, if applicable?

I started here but could not find what I was looking for:

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowTo

It would be nice to have a list of all the search operators, their functions, and a single example for each operator.

One thing I did find useful was the comma. It appears that the comma is used to specify multiple string searches similar to "piping" the results of an awk command through a second awk command in linux.

Edit - I found exactly what I was looking for.

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0...erm%20Modifiers

Double edit - I just tried some of the searches using the proper syntax and it appears not to be implemented or specifically disabled. "AND" "&&" "||" "OR" and such are not usable options. It says improve characters are present. I am a sad bear. sad

Last edited by dadudemon on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 04:20 PM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 04:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote