KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » DE Sidious Vs Marka Ragnos

DE Sidious Vs Marka Ragnos
Started by: DE Luke

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by GM Nebaris
Force storm isn't even Sidious greatest ability. Teleportation is.

The "teleportation" is the Force Storm. Sidious can either destroy the target or transport it.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Generic Hero
The quote had nothing to do with KJA. It was all Wallace's personal opinion.

I read the e-mail.

It was also LFI approved, and Kevin J. Anderson's name is on the cover of the book. I'm sure that if he disagreed with it, it would've been changed.

Secondly, according to Lightsnake (though he may be incorrect), his email from KJA said that "if Kun or Palpatine ever had a fight, we'd find out who the greatest Sith Lord was."

Meaning that, from his opinion, Kun or Palpatine is the most powerful.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:37 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blax XXX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I consider them seperate attacks.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:38 AM
Click here to Send Blax XXX a Private Message Find more posts by Blax XXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

That's not word for word, but that's the gist of it

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 12:40 AM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

Force storm isn't even Sidious greatest ability. Teleportation is.
Uh, what? Teleportation? I think it's time I read DE, do they have it at swcomics.com?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 02:30 AM
Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blax XXX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think so

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Blax XXX a Private Message Find more posts by Blax XXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

I have a question about DE. When palpatine is about to transfer himself to a new body and Luke tries to kill all the Clones, it says "Realizing the Enperor can only transfer his consciousness to a living body, Luke lunges for the nearest Clone Vat." so if killing all the Clones could stop him from transferring his consciousness to a living body why couldn't Palpatine transfer it to someone like Leia or someone far away, does he have to transfer it to someone in the same room? And did Luke plan to make Palpatine transfer his consciousness into Luke's body sp Luke could destroy them both or what?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 09:35 PM
Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good question.

I don't know why, as he was willing to possess the body of Anakin Solo when he was born.

My personal theory is that, perhaps, Luke's own will and strength in the Force could have been a danger to Palpatine. Perhaps it wouldn't be a completely guarenteed possession, if you follow me.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 09:43 PM
Lightsnake

Possibly because it was easier to grab onto one of the bodies there...and proceed to teach Luke a lesson

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:06 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Here's why I think he didn't try to enter a different body.

1) Luke would have repelled him. He was strong in the Force and probably could have resisted the takeover.

2) Palpatine wanted a powerful body. His clones were powerful because they were copies of himself. Luke was powerful, but a Jedi like Luke could resist. And Leia wasn't all that powerful in comparison to Luke at the time. Imperial officers aren't Force-sensitive, and the Dark Jedi in Palpatine's control were too weak. Palpatine inhabited the body of Jeng Droga once, one of the Emperor's Hands, only so he could be transported to a clone. The process drove Jeng insane.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2006 11:12 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Plus, Rex, you forgot that Leia was female. stick out tongue

Though, in all actuality, I highly doubt that Emperor Palpatine would opt to possess the body of a female Force-user, no matter how powerful she may be.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 12:00 AM
Nai
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally posted by Escape81
It was also LFI approved, and Kevin J. Anderson's name is on the cover of the book. I'm sure that if he disagreed with it, it would've been changed.

Of course...because anybody would ask Anderson about his opinion, right ? In fact Anderson himself contradicts the statement that Sidious was the most powerful because he himself thinks it's not possible to determine who's the more powerful out of two people until they have fought each other.

quote:

Secondly, according to Lightsnake (though he may be incorrect), his email from KJA said that "if Kun or Palpatine ever had a fight, we'd find out who the greatest Sith Lord was."

Meaning that, from his opinion, Kun or Palpatine is the most powerful.

And again...This is simply nonsense. Anderson himself said that it's impossible to determine who's more powerful until you have a direct confrontation between two characters. Did we see "Ragnos vs Kun" anywhere ? No ? So Anderson has no basis to put Kun above other people than the ones Kun did actually fought and defeated - according to his own rules.
Not to mention that this was Anderson's answer on the question if Sidious or Kun would be more powerful (given the circumstances under which said question was asked) and it's pretty stupid to conclude anything else out of it.

Aside of this I pretty much love the way people keep "debating" things here. Let's just try to downplay the other character as much as we can and ignore the finer comments given in the original sources. 100 % "I win" guarantee in every debate. For example we can take the Dark Side Sourcebook that labels Sidious force storm "the possibly greatest use of the Dark Side" forget the "possibly" ignore the fact that we've seen possibly greater usage of the Dark Side in sources released after the Dark Side sourcebook (e.g. Nihilus draining a planet empty) et voilą: Sidious must be the most powerful Sith ever. Or we simply take the NEC comment that "Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord ever" ignore the ambigious nature of the word "powerful" and then state that this comment wouldn't have been given if Anderson hasn't agreed with it - when we see Anderson obviously not agreeing with it. And again we've created another nice "fact". Way to go...

Ragnos ruled the Ancient Sith Empire in it's "Golden Age" (so the absolute high point of Sith magic and Sith alchemy) basically undefeated and with an "iron fist" (which hints to some conflicts at least). We know that almost any Dark Side power we've seen in use so far comes from that ancient time period including force storms (see TOTJ companion), various life-drain and force-drain techniques including large scale instakills (see KotoR 2), force lightning, force choke and so on. We have this nice statement that Sidious knows all that stuff (of course he never uses it because of some mystical reason) so let's assume this is the truth. Do you think it's quite possible that the Dark Lord of the Sith ruling the Sith Empire in it's golden age would have knowledge about all this stuff too or even more knowledge since he lives at the high point of the Sith "culture" ? I think so. Can it be that the guy with access to all this knowledge and several centuries to study + entire groups of people who had access to the same stuff and wanted his position might possess more refined knowledge about said stuff than the guy who just studied it for a century with almost no need to ever use it ? Hmm...

And at this point were reaching the funny "Ragnos is overrated" paradoxon. We have two people here that were the "top products" of their respective "Sith culture". We know that both had very similar knowledge (Sith magic, Sith alchemy, Jedi powers). So how can we "overrate" one of the characters and try to downplay the other in the same moment. Answer: It doesn't work because we can't declare the very same knowledge "not useful" for person A and then say it's "priceless" when person B has it.

It's even getting more hilarious when we introduce Anderson's statement here. Anderson himself is not sure who will win a battle between Kun and Sidious. Kun ? Anderson himself limited Kun's dark side knowledge to:

a) a very high amount of knowledge coming from Sadow
b) some bits of knowledge coming from other source but still with the "ancient Sith" as the main source

And now we can deceide ourselves if:

a)
Anderson is so in love with his own creation that he estimates Kun can master every bit of Sith knowledge not only better than the originators of said knowledge - no - he should be able to do this more than 100 times faster than the ancient Sith. This would not only require an impossible amount of intelligence (for fast learning) - he must have had an almost impossible amount of potential too as we have seen that even Anakin, the guy with the most potential ever wasn't able to overpower his own master Obi-Wan force wise.

b)
Anderson didn't even think about the ancient Sith when giving this comment to Lightsnake because the original question was if Kun would be able to beat Sidious - or who of them is the most powerful. And in this case the "Anderson thinks Kun is more powerful than Ragnos point" is quite mood. Oh no...wait...this statement is already pointless because if Kun is more powerful than Ragnos and more powerful than Sidious there is no way to conclude who would be stronger between Sidious and Ragnos here.

So while we don't have any concrete base to compare Sidious and Ragnos except that there knowledge was very possibly quite similar (in which case they would "neutralize" each other) there are some hints that Ragnos would be more likely to win a physical confrontation.

a) Thanks to all that nice retcons in the ancient time period we now have some nice proof that lightsabers were known to the ancient Sith but they prefered their Sith swords. Why ? As it seems, the swords were more powerful weapon otherwise they wouldn't have been used.

b) Ragnos is more impressive physically than Sidious.

And really people...what would it give to Sidious that he can use force storms. I'm pretty sure he won't archieve victory by crushing Ragnos and himself with said ability or teleport both of them into oblivion. And Ragnos might be able to pull the same stuff off. So what ? Stalemate through death of both participants ? Or can it be that some people that accuse others of "overrating" Ragnos constantly are now "underrating" him ?

"Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?"

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 01:19 PM
Click here to Send Nai a Private Message Find more posts by Nai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lightsnake

Right, sith swords were more powerful? Nope, according to the actual material, the sith preferred the visceral feel of the sith swords rather than the sterile saber. And that sabers faded from use with the times.

Secondly? The man who CREATED Ragnos said himself it's between Kun and Sidious when I asked him DIRECTLY, he said he didn't have a way of measuring the strongest Sith, but if Kun and Sidious ever fought, we'd find out who the strongest was. You're not dancing around this, my question was clear and concise: Who is the strongest Sith, Sidious or the ones you created. Of all the ones he used for STRONGEST EVER, he didn't use Naga or Ragnos, he used Exar Kun as the strongest of the old times and said if he fought Sidious, we'd find out who was stronger.

The 'Golden Age?' of the ACTUAL EMPIRE, not the Sith themselves and two generations of Sith after were said to have surpassed the SE's 'grandeur and majesty?'...when the New Sith were creating newer and stronger techniques and creations of alchemy with the Dark Side? When they were learning to call spirits back from Chaos? When they were mastering what the Ancients had to offer and getting their own new stuff? Knowledge is GAINED over time, too. And Darth Rivan, Belia Darzu, the Dark Underlord AND Volfe Karkko were students ofthe Sith and Dark Side for centuries, are they stronger than Sidious? HYou always fall back on 'but he had centuries!' So what? Time isn't a subtitute for power and ability. Hey, how about the guy who was described as a God in the dark Side, a Titan in the Dark Side, the master of every aspect of the Force, Sith and Jedi alike...

And Sidious was stated to have used the forcd storm to a greater extent than ever before, 'greatest usage of the dark side' in history, anyone? Anderson put Kun and Sidious together, but you know what you constantly ignore? He considers them the two strongest Sith and put Kun directly above the Ancients.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 01:44 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh yes. Power is so ambiguous in that context. Get the hell over yourself, Nai. I find it truly, truly amazing how - in only Sidious's case - "power" has ambiguity to it.

Marka Ragnos was called "the most powerful of the most powerful". Well, I submit to you that, like Sidious's, that use of the word "power" is also ambiguous. Perhaps they meant physical power. Perhaps they meant political power.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:13 PM
Lightsnake

Yeah, come to think of it...show me a single force user who managed to tear the fabric of reality itself...without technology.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:18 PM
Blax XXX
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have to agree with Nai, Ragnos is pretty underrated here. He was incredibly powerful and Sidious wasn't too much more powerful.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:34 PM
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Yeah, based on... what?

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:38 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

I believe that the correct and actual statement is: "Yoda could not defeat the most powerful Sith Lord in history". The question that Ush posed to Illustrious when he argued the exact same thing is why would the meaning of power - in this case - be "political", when it absolutely doesn't fit in context with the sentence?

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:46 PM
Blax XXX
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well he was in the same league as people such as Sadow, who could destroy a star...

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:46 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well he was in the same league as people such as Sadow, who could destroy a star...

...with his ship.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2006 03:47 PM