KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Top Ten Sci-Fi Films!!!!

Top Ten Sci-Fi Films!!!!
Started by: Scarecrow756

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 3 4 [5]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by aciam
My list:
Back To The Future 1 & 2
Star Wars
Alien
Aliens
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Prestige
Terminator series
Transformers
Serenity
Predator

Prestige??? Chris Nolan's Prestige? That's sci-fi now?

Good list apart from Serenity... felt that was a major disappointment.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2008 12:44 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by queeq
Prestige??? Chris Nolan's Prestige? That's sci-fi now?

what else would it be?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2008 03:13 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Anyone who hasn't got Blade Runner at the top of their list is an idiot. Fackto.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2008 04:40 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Happy Dance

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
what else would it be?

Well, fictional history... custome fiction... whatever. Certainly not sci-fi.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2008 06:38 PM
queeq is currently offline Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MightyCelestial

10. Terminator 2 - One of those rare exceptions when a sequel is better than the original.
James Cameron, you are a god.
However, I've got a question: What is it that inspired the future sentient computer-technology that takes over the Earth, to put out a line of mean-looking humanoid hunter-killer robots, only to program the entire series with an English language that is weighed down with a heavy-@ss Austrian accent?

9. Matrix: Reloaded - After this movie came out, could you feel it? Could you feel the idea & use of special effects in the entire sci-fi genre take a major step forward? I know I did.

8. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Great story, fun energy & for my money, the best of the ST series. Also, the interaction between the the crew members in this film is the most integrated. You can really get a sense of family that this group of people ( whom we've come to know after so many years) have grown into.

7. 2001: A Space Odyssey - The very 1st. incredibly realistic portrayal of a sci-fi story. Great visuals back when this stuff was incredible difficult to create ( without the help of computers). Also, a suspense thriller plotline that is masterfully & almost quietly delivered.
Plus, if you're not on drugs whilst viewing this film, by the time you get to the ending, you will you feel as though you are.

6. Equilibrium - Holee f#ck! Are you kiddin' me? The action sequences in this damn thing......whoa, dude.
Quite stunning & stylish to look at also.

5. Abyss (Director's Cut) - Close Encounters Of The Under-Water Kind. Personally, I think this is James Cameron's masterpiece, after Titanic. It's actually two stories in one. The alien storyline crossed over with the tension that builds with the crew & the SEAL team. And both plots are very well executed. This movie suffered from the edited version that Cameron was pressured into releasing, which is sad, because the uncut version is what truly reveals just how great this movie really is. IMO, at least.

4. E.T., The Extra-Terrestrial - There's nothing that I can add that to this film that hasn't already been said. Lemme just say, after several years of this movie collecting dust on my video collection, I watched it with my 6 yr. old niece a couple of months ago, & I'll be honest with you: I don't know which one of us left sitting there with more childlike awe & wonder on our faces.

3. The Empire Strikes Back - For the movie itself, again, what can I say that hasn't blah blah blah.
Instead, I'll just relay my opinion on the experience of this film.
This was back when movies would stay in theatres, not for weeks at a time, but for months.
I think that, on the majority, audiences today have been so desensitized from so-so blockbusters being released every other week-end, that they will never get 2 experience the feeling a big movie-event like Star Wars. The year of Empire was one of my fave summers ever as a kid. It was really cool knowing that I could hop on the city bus at any point during the season & go watch TESB. And every time that I did, the other audience members were just as excited 2 be seeing this film at the end of the summer as they were at the beginning. Every year that one of the 3 original films was released, you could not only feel the power of the "Force" within the air, but also, you could feel it in the air all season long.

2. Aliens - This movie has everything that I look forward to in a sci-fi adventure. Suspenseful action, solid story, distinct characters (with great chemistry) , great visuals, kick-@ss aliens, a turning plot-twist ( we all thought for sure, that Bishop couldn't be trusted), & of course, a catch-phrase that made the entire theatre roar (" Get away from her, you b#tch!").

Mannnn....I wish I had acid for blood.

1. Close Encounters Of The 3rd. Kind - For me, the most realistic handling of a story of aliens ( inspiring films like Contact & Signs which tried admirably to emulate), that it made it almost believable for me that extra-terrestrials do exist. Also, it was done with such a sense of awe-inspiring hope & elegant beauty, that it almost made me wish that they did indeed exist( & maybe aliens do, but that's an entirely different website, altogether).

Mannnn....I wish a UFO would come down & fly me away into the limitless potential of space.
Sans anal-probes, of course.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2008 12:03 PM
MightyCelestial is currently offline Click here to Send MightyCelestial a Private Message Find more posts by MightyCelestial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lannfear

Top ten ...not in any order.....Star wars, Terminator,Alien,the day the Earth stood still, ForbiddenPlanet,Close encounters ,Pitch Black,the Omega man,Blade Runner, and mad max
cheers

Old Post Jun 14th, 2008 11:36 PM
lannfear is currently offline Click here to Send lannfear a Private Message Find more posts by lannfear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Solo
Alien was good; Aliens was bad.

wrong

Old Post Jun 18th, 2008 07:55 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

1.Children of men (surprised this hasn't got more love)
2.Star Wars (duh)
3.The Empire strikes back (arguably better than the first, but i don't think so.)
4.Close Encounters of the Third Kind (redeemed by its astounding third act)
5.2001: A Space Odyssey( in the words of neo: "whoa")
6.WALL E (kind of "2001" for tots)
7.The Return of the Jedi (a worthy conclusion)
8.Terminator 2 (might be the best action movie this side of Die Hard)
9. Minority report (great film-making doesn't totally translate into a great film, but it's too technically prolific to ignore.
10. E.t. the extraterrestrial (classic spielberg)

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 09:37 PM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

No love for TRON?

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 31st, 2008 12:13 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Thing
Starship Troopers
Event Horizon
Predator
Aliens
Terminator 2
The Running Man
Total Recall
Tremors
Robocop

Old Post Jul 31st, 2008 07:49 AM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Fifth Element is ok too.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2008 07:51 AM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreamreaver
Master of the Realms

Hmm my top 10 just straight-up sci-fi movies would be

1. SW: Empire Strikes Back
2. Blade Runner
3. The Matrix
4. Aliens
5. SW: A New Hope
6. The Thing (John Carpenter's version)
7. Pitch Black
8. SW: Return of the Jedi
9. Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
10. Alien

Old Post Aug 1st, 2008 03:29 AM
Dreamreaver is currently offline Click here to Send Dreamreaver a Private Message Find more posts by Dreamreaver Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

for me...excluding starwars

1:Aliens
2: Sunshine
3:The matrix
4:Casshern
5:Event horizon
6:The day the earth stood still
7:Pitch black
8:Alien
9:Battle beyond the stars (cause it's pure cheese)
10:Quiet earth

honourable mentions

the andromeda strain
i am legend
inner space

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 06:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I adore Pitch Black, and Casshern, love the films.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 09:48 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah pitch black is superb but gets a bad rep because of the chronicles of riddick...shame really...Riddick is a great character and even the animated version is good

i love the style of Casshern...it's unashamedly an anti war film and gets a little bit existential at the end (which reminds me...eXistenZ was an awesome film) but i love it....oh...and the main bad guy looks like Dante from devil may cry laughing out loud

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 10:08 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I can't seem to get a hold of Casshern anywhere. I guess I could order it online wink

Been wanting to see it for some time though.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 11:06 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is not out in American then? I've got two editions, a gorgeous region 3, and then it was released in a steelbook edition here in the UK on two discs, so had to get it. The menu section is quite rubbish though for the steelbook.

My eyes watered at the end montage of the film first time I saw it. Don't mind the anti war stance or the existentialism at all.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 03:46 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer11
Stalker

Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope
Star Wars Episode VI - Return Of The Jedi
Alien
Aliens
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
2001: A Space Odyssey
Total Recall
E.T: The Extra- Terrestrial

Thanks to Scythe for the sig and avatar.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2008 03:15 PM
Wanderer11 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer11 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote