KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » R.I.P. Sid Barret

R.I.P. Sid Barret
Started by: -Tired Hiker-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by rickyduck
then what is one of the greatest musicians ever? You obviously do hold the fact that hes a mental wreck against him, and they are not overrated, they're just skilled.. 50 cents overrated.. he wasnt with them for DSOTM because he was in a mental institute...

I told you I don't hold it against him, so you can either accept that or you can shut up about it, first of all. Don't be so ignorant as to overlook a reasonable response.

Furthermore, Hendrix is one of the greatest musicians ever, Prince is one of the greatest musicians ever, Syd Barrett formed a band and wrote some songs that people liked. So did many.

Oh, and yes Pink Floyd are overrated.

Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Pink Floyd wouldn't have been without Syd. Roger Waters would be creating buildings if it wasn't for him. And we wouldn't have a lot of bands these days without the Floyd. Many bands were influenced by Pink Floyd, and of course we have to give props to Syd and Roger for making one of the greatest and influential bands ever.

A) We don't have to give props to anyone we don't wish to give props to.

B) That's bullshit rationale, that whole "We wouldn't have today's bands if we didn't have Floyd/Zeppelin/The Beatles" etc. I'm not denying that they were influential, but if you do your research you'll see that many people form bands and then discover influences. Not the other way around.

I dont care what you people have to say. He was a great musician and he will be missed. After Waters left Pink Floyd, when it was just Gilmour on the front, it was not the same. In fact, (IMO) The Division Bell is their worst CD. And I've always been a fan of The Piper (Pink Floyd's First). I know he hasn't done much, but a death is a death. If it was a relative that you had no idea existed died, you'd go to the funeral. So thats how i feel about Syd Barret's death. I cant say he will be missed, because he was insane so no one really knew what was going on. But if you can stand there and tell me that he had nothing to do with the way music is these days, then you can just go to hell.

I don't care that you don't care, it's not up to you. If you like his music, if you LOVE his music, that's fine, but putting him in the catagory of greatest musician is to put him with the likes of Hendrix. If you believe he is that good, then YOU can go to hell, because you know absolutely nothing. Second, he hasn't done much, exactly. So appreciate what he has done, wrote a couple of famous songs that a lot of people love. Big deal, so did Trent Reznor, he's not one of the greatest musicians ever.

Why are you now attempting to tell me what I would and wouldn't do if a relative died? There are a great many funerals I've avoided because I don't consider the people family. I put things in perspective, and so should you.

He has a lot less to do with music than you are proposing, that's a fact. You really love Pink Floyd, that's pretty and everything, but there's no massively prominent musicians today that can be pointed out to sound like, have the writing likenesses of, or holding the influence of Syd Barrett. Liking someone doesn't mean you're influenced by them.

If he didn't die, you'd not be saying all this. I've never seen you mention Barrett before, so in my eyes you're no different than the Cobain-bandwagonners.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 09:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scottie
poiuytrewq

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom,
blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night, and exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome with random precision,
rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

~ This person is my favourite person on KMC ~

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:06 PM
Scottie is currently offline Click here to Send Scottie a Private Message Find more posts by Scottie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

How DARE you say that Pink Floyd is overrated. That makes no sense whatsoever! Explain how they are overrated. I want 3 reasons

thanks LifeInSepia, sig is AWESOME

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:21 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I told you I don't hold it against him, so you can either accept that or you can shut up about it, first of all. Don't be so ignorant as to overlook a reasonable response.

Furthermore, Hendrix is one of the greatest musicians ever, Prince is one of the greatest musicians ever, Syd Barrett formed a band and wrote some songs that people liked. So did many.

Oh, and yes Pink Floyd are overrated.

A) We don't have to give props to anyone we don't wish to give props to.

B) That's bullshit rationale, that whole "We wouldn't have today's bands if we didn't have Floyd/Zeppelin/The Beatles" etc. I'm not denying that they were influential, but if you do your research you'll see that many people form bands and then discover influences. Not the other way around.

I don't care that you don't care, it's not up to you. If you like his music, if you LOVE his music, that's fine, but putting him in the catagory of greatest musician is to put him with the likes of Hendrix. If you believe he is that good, then YOU can go to hell, because you know absolutely nothing. Second, he hasn't done much, exactly. So appreciate what he has done, wrote a couple of famous songs that a lot of people love. Big deal, so did Trent Reznor, he's not one of the greatest musicians ever.

Why are you now attempting to tell me what I would and wouldn't do if a relative died? There are a great many funerals I've avoided because I don't consider the people family. I put things in perspective, and so should you.

He has a lot less to do with music than you are proposing, that's a fact. You really love Pink Floyd, that's pretty and everything, but there's no massively prominent musicians today that can be pointed out to sound like, have the writing likenesses of, or holding the influence of Syd Barrett. Liking someone doesn't mean you're influenced by them.

If he didn't die, you'd not be saying all this. I've never seen you mention Barrett before, so in my eyes you're no different than the Cobain-bandwagonners.

-AC
laughing All right. No need to get all worked up.

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:25 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well for one, it's individual members are overrated. Nick Mason and David Gilmour always get way too much credit, and then there's this thread.

Second, they are constantly hailed as one of the greatest bands ever, and they are just not. There aren't even in the top 10 best British bands ever, in my opinion (I know, how can I possibly say that?! Deal with it), but best ever? So laughable it could be a comedian's material.

Third, despite obviously being educated men, they're not as educated and intelligent as everyone thinks they are. The lyrics are remarkably basic when compared with how people are rating them, so is the music.

All things considered, I laugh at how upset you're getting.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:26 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing All right. No need to get all worked up.

Typical response from someone who didn't think before he posted. Second, I didn't, but then again, I'm not the one who told me to go to hell because I denied Pink Floyd the massively undeserved credit you're giving them.

Maybe you shouldn't get so worked up next time, junior.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:27 PM
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Typical response from someone who didn't think before he posted. Second, I didn't, but then again, I'm not the one who told me to go to hell because I denied Pink Floyd the massively undeserved credit you're giving them.

Maybe you shouldn't get so worked up next time, junior.

-AC
Allright laughing

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:28 PM
Ax3l is currently offline Click here to Send Ax3l a Private Message Find more posts by Ax3l Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

I guess its the fact that you come into a thread obviuosly about the death of a respected (by us, at least) musicain, and all you want to do is tell us he wasn't all that great. Thanks, but no thanks.

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:33 PM
pinkfloydkor

Then who the hell do you think are some of the greatest bands ever? WTF!?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:33 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
I'm going to side with AC on this one, there are MANY.....COUNTLESS number of bands that are better than pink floyd.

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:34 PM
pinkfloydkor

Im not saying that Pink Floyd is the greatest band, sorry if it seemed like that, but there is no doubt that they are a great band and are not overrated. Mabey you dont like the music, but that doesnt mean they are not good. Anyway, lets end this argument. AC, if you dont like Syd, why are even posting in this thread? The title is RIP Syd Barrett

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:40 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It doesn't matter what bands I like, what matters is that they're not one of the greatest bands ever, since that's what we're discussing.

Im not saying that Pink Floyd is the greatest band, sorry if it seemed like that, but there is no doubt that they are a great band and are not overrated. Mabey you dont like the music, but that doesnt mean they are not good.

I don't think they're anything special at all. I think they're a name that people think they have to drop in order to have credibility nowadays, that's it.

They're not overrated because I don't like the music, they are overrated because they are continually labelled as one of the greatest bands ever, one of the smartest and most influential bands ever, they're not. There are many bands I don't like that I don't think are overrated, overrating is specific and it applies to Pink Floyd.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:48 PM
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

Floyd is Overrated,
But I disagree, Most overrated and named-dropped British band ever?
Beatles have that catagory all wrapped up...

But yea, lets not overstate his influence here guys...
Now my first reaction when I heard this was, He was in Floyd?? Really?
And I imagine thats most people's responses as well.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:52 PM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ax3l
Dream Finder

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Floyd is Overrated,

Unless you're actually a fan of Pink Floyd, or have listened to their whole music career and not from DSOTM or The Wall. Those are just small points compared to their whole career.

But yeah, Beatles are way overrated. When people say that that is an influential band, thats when i get worked up into a tizzy like AC.

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:56 PM
pinkfloydkor

Unless you're actually a fan of Pink Floyd, or have listened to their whole music career and not from DSOTM or The Wall. Those are just small points compared to their whole career.

Thank you, those are complete opinions, and so are mine for that matter, but I can admit it

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 10:57 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Floyd is Overrated,

At least with The Beatles they had some massive appeal and even if you disagree you can see why people get carried away. What did Pink Floyd do besides laser-beam (literally) people into thinking they were some epic musical epiphany?

It doesn't matter, overrating isn't about opinion, it's about fact. There is specific criteria. I can prove that U2 are overrated, overrated doesn't mean shit...it means overrated. It has nothing to do with if you like them or not, you liking them doesn't mean they're not overrated, me disliking them doesn't mean they are. What does? The fact that they are overrated, and that's not an opinion.

Constantly referred to as one of the best bands ever in every sense? Yes, overrating.

But yeah, Beatles are way overrated. When people say that that is an influential band, thats when i get worked up into a tizzy like AC.

You're the only one who believes I was worked up into a tizzy just because I replied, whilst also using the trademark smiley decoy. It's honestly not my fault you can't back it.

More so, The Beatles are influential, just nowhere near as much as people would say.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 11:15 PM
Ax3l
Dream Finder

At least with The Beatles they had some massive appeal and even if you disagree you can see why people get carried away. What did Pink Floyd do besides laser-beam (literally) people into thinking they were some epic musical epiphany?

It doesn't matter, overrating isn't about opinion, it's about fact. There is specific criteria. I can prove that U2 are overrated, overrated doesn't mean shit...it means overrated. It has nothing to do with if you like them or not, you liking them doesn't mean they're not overrated, me disliking them doesn't mean they are. What does? The fact that they are overrated, and that's not an opinion.

Constantly referred to as one of the best bands ever in every sense? Yes, overrating.

You're the only one who believes I was worked up into a tizzy just because I replied, whilst also using the trademark smiley decoy. It's honestly not my fault you can't back it.

More so, The Beatles are influential, just nowhere near as much as people would say.

-AC
I was only joking with you.

I Knew i should have ended that with a "stick out tongue"

And yes, U2 pisses me off. Just to go off into a tangent for no specific reason.

Wait, where did i talk about them being "overrated" confused

One little spark...

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 11:19 PM
natigirl

Yeah I heard the news yesterday morning. It's really sad, considering he was a big influence for being part of Pink Floyd for less than 5 years. I like the participation he put into "Wish You Were Here." I think I'll have to lsiten to his part more carefully to hear what he did. He'll be sorely missed by so many people.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13183334

Old Post Jul 12th, 2006 11:28 PM
natigirl is currently offline Click here to Send natigirl a Private Message Find more posts by natigirl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tabby999
Music Idiot apparently

ok people, much like when Dimebag died, keep the arguments about whether you liked the band in another thread, this is respecting the memory of Syd Barret not bitching about whether Pink Floyd are the best band blah blah blah. Bit of respect please.

I am aware that "your" should be "you're," and while I know I should change it as not to offend the grammar fans around the boards, school always said not to bow to peer pressure so it stays as it is

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 12:03 AM
tabby999 is currently offline Click here to Send tabby999 a Private Message Find more posts by tabby999 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morgoths_Wrath

who cares if they're overrated or not if you like the music? embarrasment

Old Post Jul 13th, 2006 01:14 AM
Morgoths_Wrath is currently offline Click here to Send Morgoths_Wrath a Private Message Find more posts by Morgoths_Wrath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote