KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?

Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?
This poll is closed.
Yes 12 75.00%
No 4 25.00%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?
Started by: golem370

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Badabing
Karen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I'm going to make a comic where black holes are canceled out by throwing panties at it then.

For some reason, that makes total sense to me. big grin Happy Dance

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 30th, 2006 04:06 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Originally posted by olympian
And he can do that. Its a comic. Writers arent NASA scientists that struggle to write a story that keeps the basis of real life physics. They write what they want to be shown as impressive.

so if the writers at marvel decided to let spiderman hold a black hole, would you pass that as believable?
i mean, it is only comic physics right?

excuse my fist... it thinks you belong with the dirt on the floor...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 02:07 AM
Up In Flames is currently offline Click here to Send Up In Flames a Private Message Find more posts by Up In Flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

The whole truth as to whether supes can hold a black hole is dependent upon the physical characteristics of a black hole compared to superman's kryptonian abilities.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 02:09 AM
Up In Flames is currently offline Click here to Send Up In Flames a Private Message Find more posts by Up In Flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Re: Re: Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?

Originally posted by Validus
No friend. That would be Hulk overcoming matter and anti-matter.

lol

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 02:27 AM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

so, up in flames, you're saying that a black hole has no mass but all matter that gives it mass ceases to exist? how, pray tell, does that work? theres no need to get nasty over it, by the way.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2006 11:07 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Originally posted by emporerpants
so, up in flames, you're saying that a black hole has no mass but all matter that gives it mass ceases to exist? how, pray tell, does that work? theres no need to get nasty over it, by the way.

like i said, a black hole is formed when a super giant sun collapses under its own gravity. it devours itself in the process and continues to suck in objects that come within its grasp. a black hole is more like a force of universally vast magnitude that acts as a cosmic vortex with a big appetite for intersteller objects.

it is by conclusive theory that a black hole has infinite density (astoundingly massive, no volume) with a gravitational pull equivalent to its nature- impossible to be determined. what can only be calculated about its gravitational pull is its lowest limit, which is found based upon the application of physics formulae to the extent of which a black hole can gravitate photon particles toward it.

that being said, i further add that the nature of a black hole is based upon the study of dark matter, as theorised by einstein. dark matter is believed to be the gravitational force that holds everything in the universe together, and takes up 90% of the total mass in the universe.

anyway, back to topic... you cannot hold a vortex, so you cannot hold a black hole. it is irrational even though its based on comics.

and as for me being nasty, i apologise. forgive me for losing my temper over this small matter. smile

just stop asking the same questions over again, eh?

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 02:00 AM
emporerpants

alright, thanks up in flames smile i only wanted a bit of clarification on it is all. sorry i repeated myself on the question. excellent explanation by the way. smile

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 04:01 AM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

superman did hold a black hole in his hands... its a comic book

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 12:28 PM
MattDay is currently offline Click here to Send MattDay a Private Message Find more posts by MattDay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

Originally posted by Up In Flames
so if the writers at marvel decided to let spiderman hold a black hole, would you pass that as believable?
i mean, it is only comic physics right?

Yes and no.

We have seen characters shut down dimensional openings with strength alone. Its how it is. But those are characters that they write with levels strong enough to do that.

Spiderman isent one of them. Now, if they boost him up with a power level to do that and actually make it so...sure. Why not?

Last edited by olympian on Aug 8th, 2006 at 01:16 PM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 01:10 PM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Originally posted by emporerpants
alright, thanks up in flames smile i only wanted a bit of clarification on it is all. sorry i repeated myself on the question. excellent explanation by the way. smile

its all good, bro. thumb up

i watched the matrix the night before so was really in the mood for some theatrical speech.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 02:05 AM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Yes and no.

We have seen characters shut down dimensional openings with strength alone. Its how it is. But those are characters that they write with levels strong enough to do that.

Spiderman isent one of them. Now, if they boost him up with a power level to do that and actually make it so...sure. Why not?

physical strength has nothing to do with holding a vortex of any sort.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 02:07 AM
Mesirus
Infomation Trafficer

i say no, supermans good and all but a black hole?! not even light can escape those things, supoerman would get swallowed whole, then killed, no light in there mate

Auron: Heh, no wonder no one wants to die.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 02:35 AM
Mesirus is currently offline Click here to Send Mesirus a Private Message Find more posts by Mesirus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MattDay

he held a black hole in his hands, seen the pic, read the pic, it's in the pic

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:12 AM
MattDay is currently offline Click here to Send MattDay a Private Message Find more posts by MattDay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
olympian

physical strength has nothing to do with holding a vortex of any sort.

Energy cant be grabbed either and Hulk did it.

I wonder what that means.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:19 AM
olympian is currently offline Click here to Send olympian a Private Message Find more posts by olympian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

Energy cant be grabbed either and Hulk did it.

I wonder what that means.

we're talking superman here, not hulk

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 02:23 AM
MattDay

well they are talking about strength here and hulk and superman have an abundance of the stuff

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 07:36 AM
olympian

we're talking superman here, not hulk

We are talking about how strength works in comics. Both have high levels of it and can and have done things that are called "impossible".

At least be consistant.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 02:33 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

We are talking about how strength works in comics. Both have high levels of it and can and have done things that are called "impossible".

At least be consistant.

black holes, vortexes, time warps are all energy-based and are intangible, therefore no matter how strong a character is, there is no way he could grab an object that is not comprised of solid material. wink

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 02:01 AM
olympian

And yet time storms, dimensional portals and energy have been grabbed/punched/negated with strength.

Why? Because this isent real life settings/physics. Its comics, where everything depending the story and character levels, can happen. The writers use whatEVER works for theyr own story.

I find this notion extremely simple, but ok. To each its own.

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 06:04 PM
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

And yet time storms, dimensional portals and energy have been grabbed/punched/negated with strength.

Why? Because this isent real life settings/physics. Its comics, where everything depending the story and character levels, can happen. The writers use whatEVER works for theyr own story.

I find this notion extremely simple, but ok. To each its own.

you're going off-track. this thread is not about whether there's any comic evidence as to whether superman can hold a black hole - there already is. what the thread is asking is whether YOU believe that such a notion is rational. no expression

Old Post Aug 14th, 2006 02:08 AM