KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?

Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?
This poll is closed.
Yes 12 75.00%
No 4 25.00%
Total: 16 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Do people really think Superman can hold a Black Hole in his hands?
Started by: golem370

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MattDay

ooo someone's a touchy person...

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 07:29 AM
MattDay is currently offline Click here to Send MattDay a Private Message Find more posts by MattDay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sirius77

quote: (post)
Originally posted by golem370
A black Hole as far as gravity has the pull of hundreds of suns that is the BS about it.. Superman is not close to that power. Superman would have to fly faster then light to escape it's pull and even then it's not for sured he could do it then...

Black Hole's bend the fabric of space...

Black Hole- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermassive_black_hole

Well if you have a complaint, then tell the writers of the comic, but I actually read that comic, so don't try to tell me that I didn't see something that I did.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2006 10:22 AM
Sirius77 is currently offline Click here to Send Sirius77 a Private Message Find more posts by Sirius77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Up In Flames
"Man of Granite"

fanboys keep sayin the same old sh-t over and over again...

excuse my fist... it thinks you belong with the dirt on the floor...

Old Post Sep 7th, 2006 02:16 AM
Up In Flames is currently offline Click here to Send Up In Flames a Private Message Find more posts by Up In Flames Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dnno1

Originally posted by golem370
A black Hole as far as gravity has the pull of hundreds of suns that is the BS about it.. Superman is not close to that power. Superman would have to fly faster then light to escape it's pull and even then it's not for sured he could do it then...

Black Hole's bend the fabric of space...

Black Hole

There are two factors that govern a black hole: its size and mass. A black hole is defined as an object that is so massive that no light can escape its event horizon (i.e. its surface). That would mean that if your escape velocity is greater than the speed of light you could leave the surface of a black hole. It also means that you could use the equation for escape velocity to determine the mass that an object of a certain size would have to be for it to have the properties of a black hole. In the feat where Superman held a black hole in his hands (see JLA #77) the black hole in question was the size of a speck of dust (about .5 microns). based on that size the object would have to be far under under half the weight of the moon for it to be a black hole. As it turns out if you do the math the object would weight more than half a billion metric tons (the moon is about 70 quintillion metric tons).

Old Post Nov 25th, 2012 10:28 PM
dnno1 is currently offline Click here to Send dnno1 a Private Message Find more posts by dnno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Villelater
Maestro Hulk fan

DC has less Realism than Marvel...its because DC is trying more to entertain than make sense...thats why i try not to pay attention to space feats

Old Post Nov 25th, 2012 11:25 PM
Villelater is currently offline Click here to Send Villelater a Private Message Find more posts by Villelater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dnno1

I have to correct myself on the calculation. A black hole the size of a spec of dust (about 1 micron in diameter) would have to have a mass of 5/16 quintillion metric tons to be so. That's about 233 times smaller than the moon.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2012 10:32 PM
dnno1 is currently offline Click here to Send dnno1 a Private Message Find more posts by dnno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by dnno1
I have to correct myself on the calculation. A black hole the size of a spec of dust (about 1 micron in diameter) would have to have a mass of 5/16 quintillion metric tons to be so. That's about 233 times smaller than the moon.

That is almost correct, but if IIRC the black hole Superman held in his hand was millions of years old.

Now according to theory, you can create a black hole the size of plank, but this black hole is not dangerous because it lacks mass and it will evaporate almost instantly. So in order for you to crate a black hole capable of destroying the earth, you will need to compress the whole mass of mount everest into a micro black hole, so that way you will have enough mass, so the black hole can live long enough to destroy earth in a pendular motion little by little.

And quote:

"Sucked into microscopic black hole

You will need: a microscopic black hole. Note that black holes are not eternal, they evaporate due to Hawking radiation. For your average black hole this takes an unimaginable amount of time, but for really small ones it could happen almost instantaneously, as evaporation time is dependent on mass. Therefore you microscopic black hole must have greater than a certain threshold mass, roughly equal to the mass of Mount Everest. Creating a microscopic black hole is tricky, since one needs a reasonable amount of neutronium, but may possibly be achievable by jamming large numbers of atomic nuclei together until they stick. This is left as an exercise to the reader.

Method: simply place your black hole on the surface of the Earth and wait. Black holes are of such high density that they pass through ordinary matter like a stone through the air. The black hole will plummet through the ground, eating its way to the center of the Earth and all the way through to the other side: then, it'll oscillate back, over and over like a matter-absorbing pendulum. Eventually it will come to rest at the core, having absorbed enough matter to slow it down. Then you just need to wait, while it sits and consumes matter until the whole Earth is gone.

Highly, highly unlikely. But not impossible.

Earth's final resting place: a singularity of almost zero size, which will then proceed to happily orbit the Sun as normal.

Source: "The Dark Side Of The Sun," by Terry Pratchett. It is true that the microscopic black hole idea is an age-old science fiction mainstay which predates Pratchett by a long time, he was my original source for the idea, so that's what I'm putting."

Here is the article

http://www.livescience.com/17875-de...h-doomsday.html

The black hole in the comic was the size of a spec of dust, and it had been around millions of years IIRC, another interesting thing it was that this black hole it was not a planet buster, but a solar system buster.

What does it means?

it means that this black hole had enough compressed mass to survive millions of years and that it had enough compressed mass to destroy a solar system.

So yes, he did lift a black hole with enough mass to bust a solar system, after all He is Superman big grin

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 07:16 PM
Rao Kal El is online now! Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Zack Snyder has said that he wants to put Superman on a level where he can be messed with.

That doesn not include giving him is comic book strength. This was a stronger depiction of Superman too.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Jan 15th, 2013 01:32 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TinXery

supermans power is amplifeid by the radiation of the sun, which is basically a big fusion plant (the more fusion power the core of the sun have, the more amplified supermans power gets) but fusions need atoms to work, and black holes doesn't need that. soo logically or what i would believe is as long the core of the sun remains an controlled bomb (it doesn't turn in to a black hole) then superman can handle the suns radiation, but of it does... then yeaa.. say bye bye to superman when hes behind the event horizon..

but nobody really knows whats behind the event horizon so he may survive after all

conclusion: it will remain a mystery i believe

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 11:47 PM
TinXery is currently offline Click here to Send TinXery a Private Message Find more posts by TinXery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote