KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?
Started by: braz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

ok, this is an issue ive been dealing with for quite some time now and i cant quite come to a conclusion about the exacts of the durability of the Nomex kevlar bi-weave survival suit in Batman Begins. ok. we know it can stop a knife or any portruding objects. but bullets? ok, you have shotguns, pistols and rifles. shotguns, pistols= close-mid range. rifles=long range. and now, a kevlar vest. a kevlar vest can stop any str8 shot shotgun or pistol round at close to mid-range, but not a rifle. a rifle round would go str8 through kevlar via higher velocity. and in Batman Begins the movie, they said the suit is bulletproof against anything but a straight shot. so anything shot str8 at the suit will penetrate it and go str8 through it? but even a shotgun or a pistol?? which is all the thugs in Batman Begins were carrying. see, thats saying the Nomex survival suit which was $300,000 is not as effective as a simple kevlar vest. What the f**k? a kevlar bi-weave suit also, so my assumption would be it would have the same effect as a kevlar vest just better because it covers u from head-to-toe, instead of just the chest. but they said a str8 shot would go through it?? personally, i think it would stop a shotgun or pistol at str8 shot just like a kevlar vest, but not a rifle str8 shot, but maybe a rifle at an angle, because it said it can deflect all indirect-angled projectiles.

thoughts, opinions??

Old Post Aug 4th, 2006 02:34 AM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NPC

Re: Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by braz
ok, this is an issue ive been dealing with for quite some time now and i cant quite come to a conclusion about the exacts of the durability of the Nomex kevlar bi-weave survival suit in Batman Begins. ok. we know it can stop a knife or any portruding objects. but bullets? ok, you have shotguns, pistols and rifles. shotguns, pistols= close-mid range. rifles=long range. and now, a kevlar vest. a kevlar vest can stop any str8 shot shotgun or pistol round at close to mid-range, but not a rifle. a rifle round would go str8 through kevlar via higher velocity. and in Batman Begins the movie, they said the suit is bulletproof against anything but a straight shot. so anything shot str8 at the suit will penetrate it and go str8 through it? but even a shotgun or a pistol?? which is all the thugs in Batman Begins were carrying. see, thats saying the Nomex survival suit which was $300,000 is not as effective as a simple kevlar vest. What the f**k? a kevlar bi-weave suit also, so my assumption would be it would have the same effect as a kevlar vest just better because it covers u from head-to-toe, instead of just the chest. but they said a str8 shot would go through it?? personally, i think it would stop a shotgun or pistol at str8 shot just like a kevlar vest, but not a rifle str8 shot, but maybe a rifle at an angle, because it said it can deflect all indirect-angled projectiles.

thoughts, opinions??

Actually I was watching(think it was discovery channel) a show about bullet proof vests. An they showed typical Kev vest point blank stopping shot gun an small hand guns up to 45. Then they did riffle test an it went thru. But they then showed a new development with a super thin ceramic plate insert to the Kev vest an it stopped the riffle(50 caliber?) round cold from 500meters? i think

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 06:00 AM
NPC is currently offline Click here to Send NPC a Private Message Find more posts by NPC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

^hmm well do u think kevlar is like a material a whole entire suit could be made of like the Nomex survival suit (aka Batsuit)? and be able to move around freely without it restricting ur movements? cuz if so, then the batsuit should be able to stop bullets at any angle, even a str8 shot. because a simple kevlar vest can do that. and not to mention this is a kevlar BI-WEAVE Nomex survival suit. so i think it could but idunno, maybe im sounding too much like a fanboy. big grin

Old Post Aug 5th, 2006 04:02 PM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

My dad knows alot about guns and firearms and has explained this to me before. A kevlar vest ussualy comes in 3 different qualities.

1.Should and is capable of stopping a 22.Caliber Rifle or Handgun.
2.Should and is capable of stopping a 9mm round.
3.Should and is capabble of stopping a 45.Caliber or a 7.62 round.

There is also a fourth vest for stopping armour-piercing rounds which are usually 30.Caliber armour-piercing round bullets.

Batmans Nomex Survival suit should stop anything but an armour-piercing round at point-blank range(straitshot).

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 02:59 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

ooooo^ see thats what i thought. that a straight shot and point blank range shot are like the same, but then som1 told me that a str8 shot is just like a regular shot at any distance just at a 90 degree angle. which pretty much made the batsuit pointless erm
but if they are the same, then yes, Batman has much more power than i thought he could in these vs forums...thx DM...!!! wink

Old Post Aug 6th, 2006 03:50 AM
Kovacs86

Re: Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

thoughts, opinions??
I think that you should shut up smile

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 08:54 AM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Re: Re: Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

Originally posted by Doc Potato
I think that you should shut up smile

y r u so mean to me?!?!

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 03:09 PM
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

this is what ive come to conclude. its bulletproof to a certain extent. its able to deflect all indirect projectiles(bullets shot at an angle, not a straight shot, like when Batmans rappeling down a building, swinging on jumplines or w/e) except for those at point blank range. but the chest area, where Lucius taps and says is a kevlar bi-weave, is completely bulletproof IMO, except for rifles, cuz kevlar cant stop that. and its been known in the comics for the chest area to be bulletproof around the bat insigna, so yea thats what i think. so Bats still has to avoid gunfire, which i think he should cuz no1 just stands around while someones fillin u fullah bullets, but hes protected in some ways.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 03:02 AM
Darth Martin

this is what ive come to conclude. its bulletproof to a certain extent. its able to deflect all indirect projectiles(bullets shot at an angle, not a straight shot, like when Batmans rappeling down a building, swinging on jumplines or w/e) except for those at point blank range. but the chest area, where Lucius taps and says is a kevlar bi-weave, is completely bulletproof IMO, except for rifles, cuz kevlar cant stop that. and its been known in the comics for the chest area to be bulletproof around the bat insigna, so yea thats what i think. so Bats still has to avoid gunfire, which i think he should cuz no1 just stands around while someones fillin u fullah bullets, but hes protected in some ways.
Kevlar can stop Rifles.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 10:32 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

^yea, its like class 3 though isnt it? idunno if that bi-weave is that strong. u think?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2006 12:50 PM
RevoWution™©®
pr0F3ss0r_F4rnsw0rth

Re: Re: Re: Nomex survival suit- bulletproof?

y r u so mean to me?!?!

lol cuz he's on a permanent ban warning lol. He's itching to be banned lol. Ignore him lol.

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: All your Rick Roll are belong to me!!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2006 02:51 AM
RevoWution™©® is currently offline Click here to Send RevoWution™©® a Private Message Find more posts by RevoWution™©® Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

scratch what i said. i just read on wiki that the whole thing is covered in armor and features a kevlar biweave. and its able to stop slashing weapons and deflect bullets at an angle. but a straight shot? idunno. i know it wouldnt deflect it, but the kevlar biweave would most likely be resistant to it and stop it from penetrating Bruce's skin right? confused

Old Post Oct 19th, 2006 05:08 PM
Holer

The whole point of Batman not being too bulletproof is that this way he is not Robocop. He cant sustain firepower, so he has to do all the fear, flying, close combat stuff. A bullet proof superhero wouldnt be fun. He would just walk to an enemy and kick his ass. The boy in blue and red does. Thats why he is not that fun.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2006 10:41 PM
Holer is currently offline Click here to Send Holer a Private Message Find more posts by Holer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

ive actually come to terms with it not being fully bulletproof, cuz i mean, if it was, it would make him too powerful and not as fallible. i mean, of course hes gunna have to dodge gunfire, which he acutally did on Batman Begins the game and on an alternate scene on the second disc of the deluxe edition made into a little comic where Falcone shoots at him, cuz hes only human. and i think anything but a straight shots good enough, because most of the time hes up on his grapnel wires anyways which makes it an indirect shot. so if he happens to get shot while hes on level ground, which he never did in Batman Begins, thats just too bad, he has a medical kit with him, and im sure is an expert at treating gun wounds.

Last edited by braz on Dec 26th, 2006 at 11:27 PM

Old Post Dec 26th, 2006 11:23 PM
pumas79

quote:
ok, this is an issue ive been dealing with for quite some time now and i cant quite come to a conclusion about the exacts of the durability of the Nomex kevlar bi-weave survival suit in Batman Begins. ok. we know it can stop a knife or any portruding objects. but bullets? ok, you have shotguns, pistols and rifles. shotguns, pistols= close-mid range. rifles=long range. and now, a kevlar vest. a kevlar vest can stop any str8 shot shotgun or pistol round at close to mid-range, but not a rifle. a rifle round would go str8 through kevlar via higher velocity. and in Batman Begins the movie, they said the suit is bulletproof against anything but a straight shot. so anything shot str8 at the suit will penetrate it and go str8 through it? but even a shotgun or a pistol?? which is all the thugs in Batman Begins were carrying. see, thats saying the Nomex survival suit which was $300,000 is not as effective as a simple kevlar vest. a kevlar bi-weave suit also, so my assumption would be it would have the same effect as a kevlar vest just better because it covers u from head-to-toe, instead of just the chest. but they said a str8 shot would go through it?? personally, i think it would stop a shotgun or pistol at str8 shot just like a kevlar vest, but not a rifle str8 shot, but maybe a rifle at an angle, because it said it can deflect all indirect-angled projectiles.

thoughts, opinions??

**** f**ks sake its a film, deal with it, while your at it why dont you try to figure out how everything in every single film could happen because it doesnt coralate with our world, jesus, get a life dude, sit back and just enjoy the fims!

Old Post Jan 12th, 2007 09:52 PM
pumas79 is currently offline Click here to Send pumas79 a Private Message Find more posts by pumas79 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Originally posted by pumas79
**** f**ks sake its a film, deal with it, while your at it why dont you try to figure out how everything in every single film could happen because it doesnt coralate with our world, jesus, get a life dude, sit back and just enjoy the fims!

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 04:39 AM
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Originally posted by pumas79

wtf?!?!? whatd u say to me little boy. ill beat u up you little punk..!! mad mad mad mad

ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!

roll eyes (sarcastic)

laughing

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 07:24 PM
ohiojones

This is my first time posting on this sight so I hope I'm not being disrespectful, but all of you seem to be assuming that a "straight shot" is a common occurrence. Counting only whole degrees, there are a hundred and seventy nine angles that a bullet can strike this suit and NOT penetrate, and ONE that will. No, his suit is not 100% bulletproof, that would make him a boring hero as some other people have said. But he's protected against just as much gunfire as any cop wearing a kevlar vest. If a three hundred THOUSAND dollar suit can't stop a .22 at close range, Lucious Fox should have been fired years ago.

Old Post May 15th, 2008 10:29 AM
ohiojones is currently offline Click here to Send ohiojones a Private Message Find more posts by ohiojones Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by ohiojones
This is my first time posting on this sight so I hope I'm not being disrespectful, but all of you seem to be assuming that a "straight shot" is a common occurrence. Counting only whole degrees, there are a hundred and seventy nine angles that a bullet can strike this suit and NOT penetrate, and ONE that will. No, his suit is not 100% bulletproof, that would make him a boring hero as some other people have said. But he's protected against just as much gunfire as any cop wearing a kevlar vest. If a three hundred THOUSAND dollar suit can't stop a .22 at close range, Lucious Fox should have been fired years ago.
Haha, I like that post. Though, just for good measurement, there's actually an endless amount of angles you could get shot at.

I agree though, it makes it interesting that he isn't an endlessly protected superhero.

Old Post May 16th, 2008 02:20 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BindTieKill

The problem is not that Fox's statement about the batsuit appears to contradict what we know about modern body armor, the problem is simply this:

You are taking his words too literally.

He's not making a sworn statement. He is not dictating the information into a scientific journal, or technical manual.

He is making a somewhat casual statement to Bruce: "Anything but a straight shot."

He may have very well meant, "anything but a straight shot from a rifle. And of course, it can stop all pistol calibers or shotgun rounds, even point blank."

Think about it this way. Did you ever give an incomplete answer because you were in an informal situation? Or do you give comprehensive, exhaustive information every single time?

And everyone is right! Bulletproof Batman is boring!

Old Post Sep 16th, 2008 10:57 PM
BindTieKill is currently offline Click here to Send BindTieKill a Private Message Find more posts by BindTieKill Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote