KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?

Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?
Started by: ~Flamboyant~

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (19): « First ... « 16 17 [18] 19 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Thanks Jen. wink

Ah, sound is just your interpretation of reality. For a deaf person, I suppose sound doesn't exist.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 11:52 AM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Yet, deaf people still have sounds inside there heads....just as blind people have images inside their heads.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 04:42 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yet, deaf people still have sounds inside there heads....just as blind people have images inside their heads.

How do you know that deaf and blind people have images and sounds in their heads? People who are blind and deaf from birth that is.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 06:51 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

I love that statement.

How would a deaf person have sounds inside their heads? All I have unless I'm directly hearing a sound are memories of sounds. A deaf person (from birth) would have no memory of sound, and thus would have no concept of sound.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 08:51 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Have you listened to them to see that everything you say to them is just void of al?

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 11:16 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Have you listened to them to see that everything you say to them is just void of al?

What the f**k?

Do you just shout at deaf people until they react?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 07:02 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Hmm... I think this is where the whole relative opposite comes in.
Aristotle explained this, in a similar example, and I concured.

Aristotle explained this in a matter of a tree. He said that the tree can be strong or weak. So the opposite of tree would still be the tree, but a weak or strong one.

Which, I suppose ties in with the idea of the philosophy that the opposites are the same phenomenon/occurances, but within a different degree.

I guess a similar tactic is to be applied to a grape, or perhaps a piano.
Opposites are interdependent. One cannot be without the other.

Weak cannot be without strong...etc.

I am also very big on Seven Hermetic Laws.

But isn't such a belief rather unnecessary? Wouldn't you just randomly pic an opposite which is of no use to any sort of categorizing. And also how weak does a tree have to be to be the opposite of a supposedly "strong" tree?

If you use such a definition of the word "opposite" you can basically just throw the word in the trash anyways, cause in the end you can define everything as the opposite of everything else, and no one is helped. What about really useful opposites though? Action and reaction? Basically true physical opposites? Don't you take away from them if you say the opposite of a TV is a book?

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 08:10 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Opposite depends on the way you are analyzing the situation. There are no absolute opposites.

Zero can be opposite to infinite if you are analyzing quantities of things. For example zero is when you have none, and infinite is the total opposite. If you didn´t like the word "infinite" then use the word "many" if you want. There is no difference.

I can be the opposite of you if you are analyzing "the degree of which someone is me" for example. I am me, and everyone else are not me. Its very simple.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 04:10 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Opposite depends on the way you are analyzing the situation. There are no absolute opposites.

Zero can be opposite to infinite if you are analyzing quantities of things. For example zero is when you have none, and infinite is the total opposite. If you didn´t like the word "infinite" then use the word "many" if you want. There is no difference.

I can be the opposite of you if you are analyzing "the degree of which someone is me" for example. I am me, and everyone else are not me. Its very simple.

'Infinite' and 'Many' mean different things,

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 04:21 PM
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Originally posted by §P0oONY
'Infinite' and 'Many' mean different things,

Yes, but it changes nothing.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 05:08 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Yes, but it changes nothing.

Au contraire mon petite chou.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 05:10 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

There are physical descriptions as in a dictionary, made by man to understand, and then there is the more open possibilities not made in mans image.............

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 08:15 PM
PP69

I think the majority of the people in here are missing the point. Of course not all words have opposites. Or things people have invented. But the basics have opposites. Good/evil, life/death, love/hate, male/female, light/dark. Everything that is life has an opposite or it would cease to exist. But basicly every word that means something has an opposite. Happy/sad, hungry/full, fat/skinny - things that involve life =)

Last edited by PP69 on Jun 18th, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Old Post Jun 18th, 2007 10:21 PM
PP69 is currently offline Click here to Send PP69 a Private Message Find more posts by PP69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

EVERYTHING MUST HAVE AN OPPOSITE For science to work....

Everything has an equal to opposite reaction.......

I think you mean that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I dont believe that the topic of the thread was questioning whether or not if actions have ooposite reactions

Old Post Jun 24th, 2007 12:49 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Yeah, okay. But everything still has an opposite. embarrasment

Old Post Jun 30th, 2007 01:56 AM
Charmed_Phoebe
Disappearing

Don't worry debbie I agree with you! Everything does have an opposite. I am debbie's opposite believe it or not I'm the crazy one!

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 06:15 AM
Charmed_Phoebe is currently offline Click here to Send Charmed_Phoebe a Private Message Find more posts by Charmed_Phoebe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

blink

You?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2007 11:48 AM
Adam_PoE

Re: Does EVERYTHING have an opposite?

Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
Well, is there an opposite for everything?

For the purposes of this question, to what degree must the "opposite" exist?

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 12:37 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Charmed_Phoebe
Disappearing

blink

You?

HAHAHAHAHA.

yep! hehe eek! eek!

Old Post Jul 25th, 2007 05:28 AM
Charmed_Phoebe is currently offline Click here to Send Charmed_Phoebe a Private Message Find more posts by Charmed_Phoebe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Monochrome

How about 'one is the opposite of the other if it cancels it'. Something like matter and antimatter which has exactly opposite properties, disappear when combined.... Well, Math too.... -5+5=0

So anything that can result into 0 when combined is the opposite of each other?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2019 04:30 PM
Monochrome is currently offline Click here to Send Monochrome a Private Message Find more posts by Monochrome Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote