KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Starcraft vs, Warhammer 40,000

Starcraft vs, Warhammer 40,000
Started by: doan_m

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
doan_m

quote:

Another thing - Total Annihilation, another not-thought-through "argument" of doan_m. Thirst thing, that eliminates Total Annihilation guys from this competition, is the fact, that they don't have any starfleet at all.

There are actually fleets in Total Annihilation. We just hardly see them in the game itself(if ever)
This means, they are helpless against any WH40k race, that could just bomb it from orbit. Even Terran fleet, that you see as so fragile and weak, could just bring in some Behemoth class battlecruisers, and launch Apocalypse class nukes from orbit, destroying everything.

quote:
Next - single Pewee projectile has a power of 1 kiloton nuke? Yeah, sure. I don't know, where did you get that from, and I frankly don't care (even if it is an official fluff from Cavedog's webpage), but it's another bullshit, worthy all those "technical miracles" (miracles - literally) from WH40k.

Here is something extremely interesting to keep in mind. Total Annihilation Fanfic is canon. : P . Ridiculous I know, and it leaves it open to all kind of glaring contradictions but most of the time when they keep producing crap like a galaxy destroying bomb, 1 kiloton pewees are extremely conservative in contrast :P

quote:
I see, that you are, I beg you pardon, one of those guys, who can only mindlessly repeat, what they've heard, but cannot analyze it by themselves. That "1 kiloton nuke" is probably added only so it would sound cool, but is, in fact, one big bad joke. Pewee projectiles don't seem to have such power at all - and not because of the fact, that it is weakest ARM unit. Such projectile, when launched and exploded, has certain power of blow, that must be 'released' somewhere, in form of a strike wave. There is no other option. Projectile, that has a power of 1 kiloton nuke would cause a massive blow. And a whole bunch of them - bloody massive blow, decimating everything around. Does Pewee's weapon make such effect? No. Not at all. Nothing. Zero. Null.

So that "1 kiloton nuke" is one big lie, another bullshit today. Neither during the game, nor in the cinematics, Pewee does show anything, that would prove, it is a true. Like I said - that was said only to sound cool, nothing more.
Again. In game calcs are meaningless. And while I cannot produce for you the figure that did show a pewee capable of 1 kt firepower, at the very least I can demonstrate that they are highly capable of kiloton to gigaton level firepower in ground based battles in the canon:
http://web.archive.org/web/19991110...iefing_3-9.html

Relevant Quote is as follows:
quote: (post)

Thrown into a frenzy of rage at the scream of thousands of billions of patternings perishing in a single blow, Coldfire's troops pressed their final charge, overwhelming the last of Gnug's battered and surprised troops, driving them into the ground with gigatons worth of explosive power.

Keep in mind that this stuff was from the cavedogs official website before they fell under into nothingness. The relevant discussion that I derived this from was here:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/show...;threadid=29846
And again, keep in mind just how fanfic is canon.

quote:

Total Annihilation ground forces are pretty cool, but, in fact, primitive, making this whole vision of future warfare a bit out of the map. Such advanced civilization uses primitive a-bomb, although we today already know reactions producing more energy, than nuclear ones (the sun!).

Knowledge of something that is capable of producing massive energy does not equate to the idea that we can replicate it. Take for example, the collision of two galaxies that happened a a while ago. Just because we are aware of that does not mean that we can replicate such power. Now, considering that TA ingame build times(fascinating as it is) are in fact considered canon(same with fielding armies on the bloody spot) I’d say they are extremely advanced.
quote:

Complete lack of starfleet (mentioned earlier), although battles are taking place on many planets (there are some kinda gateways, but this is not an explanation).

Again, they do have starfleets but they usually don’t get seen in the game.
quote:
Aeroplanes can fly only up to 144 meters per second (fastest one), while the sound speed is 340 meters per seconds - they are slower than temporary aeroplanes (those from the old good planet Earth of today, are a few times faster than sound is).

The TA intro begs to differ. I will also bring up the fact that the narrator in that intro enforces the point that TA is far from primitive considering the “billions of world” figure that the guy brings up. A crapload more then either 40k or starcraft can ever hope to measure up to.
quote:

Another thing, is that rapid development of aircraft and rocket weaponry caused the disappearance of battleships (naval) and big cannons. Those anachronisms still function in TA.

Considering that TA is not held by the same logistical restraints as modern earth, the means to create a naval aspect that is capable of holding grounds in the water would be a natural choice against a given enemy.

quote:

I'm also arrogant enough to suspect, that races of the universe made up by me (for my amateur SF writing) could engage WH40k universe races, at least a part of them. A bit.

And I’ve got a sci-verse in my own head capable of manipulating physics in a localized area merely to screw around with other people while engaging fleets in frozen time with planet busting firepower as standard lances. Your point?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 04:42 AM
doan_m is currently offline Click here to Send doan_m a Private Message Find more posts by doan_m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Der_SpeeDer

Geeez, I didn't expect a reply.

Originally posted by doan_m
Considering what happened to Fenix, I’d say its strictly technological.

Nah. Those devices on the Zealot's arms focus his psionic energy into a blade. Probably there was a malfunction, when Fenix died, and it stopped focusing.
It's strange BTW, that Fenix still uses those devices. He is 397 years old, more even than Tassadar, and he should be on a higher Khala level.

It is certainly unlikely it will penetrate a Marines armor considering that IIRC, its ceramite. 6 times stronger than steel if my memory is correct.

And it is penetrated by a primitive Ork axe. Sure. Blooody sure.
If such crude weaponry can kill Adeptus Astartes, then it can be done by technologically advanced hypersonic rifle.

Again, this is making the assumption that firebats possess the same type of firepower that the Imperium has. Last I checked, 40k uses a material called Promethium to fuel their flamers(and vehicles). Something that is not present in Starcraft.

Firebats in StarCraft use plasma fuel. Try to compare.

Yeah its listed as those things, but the power outputs of most of those weapons are very capable of outputting more energy than most modern day nukes are capable of.

And they are doing it without any signs, that it is true, such as strike wave. Miracles, people, miracles!

Anyways here is some proof that the power of the ships(even beyond lances) are capable of going beyond nuclear firepower:

I've seen it. But I didn't see, with what were they firing. Laser? I'm not sure. It didn't look like a laser at all.
I believe, that they can fire projectiles of firepower beyond a nuke, but I thought that we were talking about the weakest ones.

The Imperial Navy, lower end estimates put it at the very least, 200,000 ships(dedicated).

And they can send only a small parts of those ships at a time, because the Imperium is too huge. How many ships are there per planet? Because such UED could dispatch a shitload of them, as it seems from Episode V ending video. Like I said, that fleet over Char was only one third (bah, a part of that one third, because not all forces were there) of an expeditionary force. And that expeditionary force was a small part of whole UED fleet.

And of course, how can you be sure that Yamato cannons would actually destroy the ship? Especially considering its adamantium hulls and its lance batteries to boot.

Adamantium is an alloy, that is most likely placed in not distant future. How it can sustain a hit from a weapon, that pulverizes (literally) entire ships, that are also made of fictional and bloody durable alloy (neosteel)?
In case of lances, if battle barge destroys ten battlecruisers with them, and ten surviving battlecruisers fire their Yamato Cannons, this whole firepower is useless anyway.

Considering the sheer power of three cruisers, this is unsurprising. [/B]

It is surprising, that they can dispatch only single cruiser per one hulk, and thus have to send Terminators to board on it (not enough firepower). Unability to gather and send ships quickly? When one of Dominion posts on Dylar IV was attacked, they've sent an entire armada instantly, in matter of hours. And Imperium can send only one ship, and because of that we can play as Terminators in Space Hulk, table top or computer games.

And what makes said person superior in the first place?

Evolution.

The one in 40k, the power from which psykers derive there power from is a little(huge) extra-dimensional place called the warp.

Thought that Imperial psykers are something different than Chaos mages.

Perhaps some of you might know this, but there was a time when 1 point in the BFG board game was supposed to translate to 610 gigatons worth of firepower.

Numbers, numbers, numbers... they all often appear to be a poor joke. Like that one I'm reminding, until we all die of boredom - about power armour, that is "virtually" invulnerable, and yet its owner can be killed by primitive axe, or crude ranged weapons, used by Orks, that do not seem to be much more powerful than machine guns used in WWII.

Guys from Blizzard do not use numbers at all. And I think they're right. I didn't use numbers, too, when I created the "lore" of my uni (that one I boasted about at the end of my last post), or at least did it very rarely.

Fair enough. But mind you at the time time, there was a lot of ambiguity in the following statements that didn’t give a very good calcable timeframe as to how long it took in the novels.

What novels? Do you mean "Liberty's Crusade"? There was nothing about how long did it take, just how it looked like.
Another thing - as I saw in the ending video of Fire Warrior (that screen, which you've shown), to destroy the planet, Imperial ship just needs to shoot into one place, until she penetrates planet to the core, and then the planet explodes itself. If Protoss would have to do only this, they would also need only one ship per planet, and destroy it in a few minutes anyway.

Since when?

Since always.
That's simple - if Terran WOULDN'T be able to survive it, then how would it be, that they are able to fight Protoss at all - and win (even if they suffer bigger casualties)? For example the Sons of Korhal, when they decided to stand in Protoss' way on Tarsonis. Why didn't Protoss just fry them?

Based on what? I seriously doubt it “nullifies” the numbers of the IG either since those bastards also have the firepower to back up their numbers.

Bring in Ghosts, and they have no firepower at all. Bring in Medics, and they can't use that firepower, because the artillery is blind. Bring in Queens, and the infantry is massacred, because armour units just were too slow to maneuver quick enough, or just there are no armour units (Spawn Broodlings...). Bring in Defilers, and they have no tanks, because they've melted. Bring in Arbiters, and the tank crews can only watch, how the infantry is massacred without their aid. Et cetera, et cetera.

If anything the nids are far more deadlier than the Zerg can ever hope to be. They have after all, successfully wiped out several galaxies before even arriving to the one in 40k.

What galaxies are you talking about? About such galaxies, where there were no races powerful enough to hold off the Tyranid? Destroying civilizations of e.g. contemporary technological level is not a great achievement for the Tyranid, as it is not a great achievement for the Zerg that they've incorporated Slothien into the Swarm.

Starship Troopers(in some areas)

What areas?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 07:21 PM
Der_SpeeDer is currently offline Click here to Send Der_SpeeDer a Private Message Find more posts by Der_SpeeDer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Der_SpeeDer

Ridiculous I know, and it leaves it open to all kind of glaring contradictions but most of the time when they keep producing crap like a galaxy destroying bomb, 1 kiloton pewees are extremely conservative in contrast :P

That's right.
But lesser crap is still a crap.

Again. In game calcs are meaningless.

Hold. Wait, wait, wait, hang on a second. First you base a considerable part of your arguments on calcs, tell me, how much energy can Imperial ships' shields repel, before they're gone, and how much more is plasteel (is that the name of that alloy?) durable than steel, and now you say, that they are meaningless? Make up your mind.

Keep in mind that this stuff was from the cavedogs official website before they fell under into nothingness.

Remember, what I said? I said, that I don't care it, EVEN if it is an info from Cavedogs official website. We want a bit serious discussion, we don't use unserious phantasies as arguments.

Knowledge of something that is capable of producing massive energy does not equate to the idea that we can replicate it.

Yes, but is equates, that we may find a way in not distant future.

Take for example, the collision of two galaxies that happened a a while ago.

Incorrect analogy. We know more about reactions taking place on Sun anyway...

Again, they do have starfleets but they usually don’t get seen in the game.

No? Where then?

I will also bring up the fact that the narrator in that intro enforces the point that TA is far from primitive considering the “billions of world” figure that the guy brings up.

OK, then let's put it up another way - they are so bloody conservative, that they seem primitive, and are thus kinda unreal, when we remember, that all takes place in distant future.

Considering that TA is not held by the same logistical restraints as modern earth, the means to create a naval aspect that is capable of holding grounds in the water would be a natural choice against a given enemy.

What are you talking about right now? Warfare, that we see in TA, is not much different that ours - they do have aeroplanes, and they do have battleships and other large vessels with grand cannons, as well as grand cannons on the land (Big Bertha). In our history such weaponry (great ships with great cannons) proved highly ineffective and huge ships were helpless against aeroplanes. The day of sinking the "Yamato" (7th April 1945) is a bright example of that fact. And guys in TA still do have ships, that are bloody expensive to build, and can be bloody easily sunk by a bunch (not too big one) of properly armed aeroplanes, without achieveing any satisfying war effects?

And I’ve got a sci-verse in my own head

And I've got it not in my head only.

Your point?

Sorry, just were getting cocky. I simply like my creation, with its lore and cultures of individual races (yet there is still much to "project" in this case). And I dream of a Dawn of War mod, where one of them (my favourite one) would be one of playable sides.
And I like to discuss with people about this whole sci-verse, because it helps me to find out, e.g. which ideas are good, and which are poor.

Last edited by Der_SpeeDer on Nov 2nd, 2009 at 07:57 PM

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 07:46 PM
Der_SpeeDer is currently offline Click here to Send Der_SpeeDer a Private Message Find more posts by Der_SpeeDer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doan_m

quote:
Nah. Those devices on the Zealot's arms focus his psionic energy into a blade. Probably there was a malfunction, when Fenix died, and it stopped focusing.
It's strange BTW, that Fenix still uses those devices. He is 397 years old, more even than Tassadar, and he should be on a higher Khala level.

Which is the reason why it’s mainly on the technological side.

quote:
And it is penetrated by a primitive Ork axe. Sure. Blooody sure.
If such crude weaponry can kill Adeptus Astartes, then it can be done by technologically advanced hypersonic rifle.

Funny thing about Orks. Their collective psychic abilities make them believe almost anything they want to believe. If they believe that painting a bunch of asteroids red will make a ship go into FTL. Then it freaking will. If they believe that scrapping together a bunch of junk makes a decent battle tank, then it will form a battle tank. If enough of em believes that there axes can penetrate Space Marine armor. Then yeah. It totally will(if it did in the first place) Its for this reason that the Imperium has to be thankful that the Orks are generally a bunch of dumbasses.
And if you are referencing the Dawn of War 1 intro with the Ork axe. Take a closer look. The Ork axe in question cleaved through the gaps in the marines armor. Not the armor itself.

quote:
Firebats in StarCraft use plasma fuel. Try to compare.

What makes Starcrafts Plasma so special? Promethium at the very least is capable of burning underwater.
quote:
And they are doing it without any signs, that it is true, such as strike wave. Miracles, people, miracles!

OoookkKKkkk….
quote:

I've seen it. But I didn't see, with what were they firing. Laser? I'm not sure. It didn't look like a laser at all.
I believe, that they can fire projectiles of firepower beyond a nuke, but I thought that we were talking about the weakest ones.

Projectile based weapon. And I’ll point you to the Eisenhorn novel Hereticus which mentions Imperium ships can “reduce continents to ash with their ordnance”. Xenos as well what with the mention of “continent sized fireballs”

quote:
And they can send only a small parts of those ships at a time, because the Imperium is too huge.

No. It only chooses to send small ships at a time not just because one ship of BDZ type capabilities can house a sufficient number of regiments, but also because it still has to engage with all the enemies that are seiging there asses. The massive swarms of Nids, Giant mobs of Orks, The nasty evils of Chaos etc etc. If it felt it had to, it can prioritize ships to go on a crusade and divert them on an offensive in some special area. Besides, its firepower makes for a huge ass force multiplier.

quote:
How many ships are there per planet?

Varies depending on the segmentum that we are talking about. Some of them has 600 ships serving throughout. Sometimes it’s just 50 ships.
quote:

Because such UED could dispatch a shitload of them, as it seems from Episode V ending video.

Well of course they can. In contrast to 40k their war is extremely localized to a few star systems. Something that the Imperium could only dream about.
quote:
Like I said, that fleet over Char was only one third (bah, a part of that one third, because not all forces were there) of an expeditionary force. And that expeditionary force was a small part of whole UED fleet.

See above.
quote:
Adamantium is an alloy, that is most likely placed in not distant future. How it can sustain a hit from a weapon, that pulverizes (literally) entire ships, that are also made of fictional and bloody durable alloy (neosteel)?

What makes neosteel as favorably comparable as Adamantium? Most 40k equivalent weapon have a hard time penetrating adamantium and in some cases(scale up to Titan level), don’t at all. With neosteel on the other hand, you see plenty of instances of it being hard hit what with Hydralisk spines being able to penetrate 2cm of it.

quote:
In case of lances, if battle barge destroys ten battlecruisers with them, and ten surviving battlecruisers fire their Yamato Cannons, this whole firepower is useless anyway.

Have Yamato Cannons ever demonstrated continent destroying firepower? That’s the kind of firepower that 40k ships can take. And they would destroy a lot more then 10 battlecruisers considering that most 40k ships engage at hundreds of thousands of kilometers with other ships and possess a crapload of lances to begin with.

quote:
It is surprising, that they can dispatch only single cruiser per one hulk, and thus have to send Terminators to board on it (not enough firepower).

Anything beyond that would be considered a race of resources, considering that one is quite sufficient enough, considering the quality of 40k ships. And while that hulk can be considered a potential threat, its still relatively low priority in contrast to what is normally expected of 40k.

quote:
Unability to gather and send ships quickly? When one of Dominion posts on Dylar IV was attacked, they've sent an entire armada instantly, in matter of hours.

Which is to say nothing about how far the relevant response fleet was from the colony itself.

quote:
And Imperium can send only one ship, and because of that we can play as Terminators in Space Hulk, table top or computer games.

They only choose to send one ship. And in the case of Space Hulk, they’d rather send the Marines to pull off that kind of boarding action rather than the Navy, who have got other things to do.

quote:
Evolution.

Which is all relative. The Protoss haven’t evolved from any strain of human. Nor have they shown indication that there evolution is in any way similar to the growing number of psykers that grow throughout the galaxy.

quote:
Thought that Imperial psykers are something different than Chaos mages.

They derive their power from the same source. AKA The Warp. Hell, the God Emperor of Man himself derives much of his power from The Warp.
quote:

Numbers, numbers, numbers... they all often appear to be a poor joke. Like that one I'm reminding, until we all die of boredom –

And yet those numbers can’t be ignored. Doing so would mean that you just personally reject a piece of the fluff.
quote:

about power armour, that is "virtually" invulnerable,

Its nigh hard to penetrate, but certainly not invulnerable.
quote:
and yet its owner can be killed by primitive axe, or crude ranged weapons, used by Orks, that do not seem to be much more powerful than machine guns used in WWII.

I’ve addressed the part of axes a few points up. And most guns used by Orks are from the Imperium by default which most of them are superior to WWII weapons. Most of the problem is that they can’t freaking aim for shit.

quote:
Guys from Blizzard do not use numbers at all. And I think they're right. I didn't use numbers, too, when I created the "lore" of my uni (that one I boasted about at the end of my last post), or at least did it very rarely.

So where did the instance of a Hydralisk spine penetrating 2cm of Neosteel come from? And its not so much direct numbers that I (or more knowledgeable people than me) am looking for from fluff in general(all though direct numbers are accepted). Rather, instances in Science fiction that can be calculated. Hell, Mike Wong (The Engineer) on Stardestroyer.net does it all the time. People do it all the time in much science fiction. Star Wars, 40k, Hyperion, and even Halo.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2009 05:24 PM
doan_m is currently offline Click here to Send doan_m a Private Message Find more posts by doan_m Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doan_m

quote:
What novels? Do you mean "Liberty's Crusade"? There was nothing about how long did it take, just how it looked like.

Exactly why there was an ambiguous time frame.

quote:
Another thing - as I saw in the ending video of Fire Warrior (that screen, which you've shown), to destroy the planet, Imperial ship just needs to shoot into one place, until she penetrates planet to the core, and then the planet explodes itself.

With Standard bombardment from the looks of it.
quote:

If Protoss would have to do only this, they would also need only one ship per planet, and destroy it in a few minutes anyway.

In the same time frame that, the single Battle Barge pulled off in the FW vid? Because that makes the difference between the amount of firepower that either of those ships could output.

quote:
Since always.
That's simple - if Terran WOULDN'T be able to survive it, then how would it be, that they are able to fight Protoss at all - and win (even if they suffer bigger casualties)? For example the Sons of Korhal, when they decided to stand in Protoss' way on Tarsonis. Why didn't Protoss just fry them?

Because the Protoss don’t normally dish out teraton level firepower. They only appear to do it at rare instances with specialized Carriers, but not certainly for fleet level engagements.

quote:
Bring in Ghosts, and they have no firepower at all.

A ghost doesn’t automatically mean all cannons and weapons are silenced. It does not mean that for some reason a ghost nullifies the fact that a meltagun outputs gigajoules worth of firepower upon the enemy and it doesn’t mean that the enemy cacn send artillery barrages back upon the enemy.
quote:

Bring in Medics, and they can't use that firepower, because the artillery is blind.
I seriously doubt medics are even in a counter battery role to begin with.
quote:
Bring in Queens, and the infantry is massacred, because armour units just were too slow to maneuver quick enough, or just there are no armour units (Spawn Broodlings...).

To say nothing of rate of fire, number of Queens normally fielded in an swarm, how it deals with anti-air assets(or just air assets) or for that matter, even the operational range of the Queen itself before getting horribly gibbed.

quote:
Bring in Defilers, and they have no tanks, because they've melted.
Same as above. And Plague is not a no-limits fallacy. It does have a threshold as to how far it even melts materials in the first place.

quote:
Bring in Arbiters, and the tank crews can only watch, how the infantry is massacred without their aid. Et cetera, et cetera.
This is of course making the assumption that the air is not guarded against such attacks in the first place.
Seriously now, most of these things are almost easily solved by firing back at whatever the hell pops up. And localized tactics of special instances (even if they do work) of these kinds assume that the enemy does little to fire back. Or for that matter, even think of the enemy they are fighting. Assuming that we are just talking about the Imperial Guard, it would go as follows: Zerg Swarm rushing you? High density lasgun fire and support weapons in tandem with vicious artillery barrages (same artillery that fires at 125km ranges). Considering that most Guard regiments come with Artillery guns this will be the norm. Mutalisk swarms coming? Reasonable level density of Manticore and Hydra flak guns are quite very sufficient for dealing with those assets. Hell considering that the guard normally deals with the likes of Orks and Tyranids, it does have the sufficient planning and doctrines to engage in combat with The Zerg. Hell now, they deal with far worse then the Zerg fields. For instance, Bio titans like the hydraphant and the hierophant, Norn Queens, Harridans and Dominatrixes(yeah weird name I know). Which is also to say nothing of the multi kilometer sized bioships that barrage planets with a massive spam of spores.

quote:
What galaxies are you talking about? About such galaxies, where there were no races powerful enough to hold off the Tyranid?

Far off galaxies of unknown size. And obviously if there was a race out there capable of holding off the Tyranids then they wouldn’t have migrated to the 40k galaxy. About 7-8 of them described as “barren husk”. Hell most of the Tyranid force.
quote:
Destroying civilizations of e.g. contemporary technological level is not a great achievement for the Tyranid, as it is not a great achievement for the Zerg that they've incorporated Slothien into the Swarm.
Destroying 7-8 galaxies worth of civilizations(or at least the planets) certainly is.

quote:
What areas?

Infantry. Flying Power armor units with each individual carrying a large amount of nukes to spam the ground with. There’s also the weapon that ““breaks a planet in half like an egg”

quote:

That's right.
But lesser crap is still a crap.

Relative to TA, Less means 1 KT level pewee firepower.
quote:

Hold. Wait, wait, wait, hang on a second. First you base a considerable part of your arguments on calcs, tell me, how much energy can Imperial ships' shields repel, before they're gone, and how much more is plasteel (is that the name of that alloy?) durable than steel, and now you say, that they are meaningless? Make up your mind.

Think about what I said. I said “In-game” calcs. That means calcs derived directly from gameplay itself. Using cinematics, books, movies, comics even, is all fine. Which is precisely what I’ve done for the most part.

quote:
Remember, what I said? I said, that I don't care it, EVEN if it is an info from Cavedogs official website.

Not caring about it does not allow you to omit the fact that it still is considered canon and therefore a part of the TA universe. Doesn’t work like that at all. Were that allowed, then I can just omit Star Trek Warp Speeds on the basis that I personally don’t like it, despite the fact that said speeds are constantly demonstrated throughout most of the television series.

quote:
We want a bit serious discussion, we don't use unserious phantasies as arguments.

“Unserious fantasies”? What does that even mean? Are you implying that canon in fiction should just be omitted on the basis that its “unserious”? Shall I omit a good chunk of Doctor Who shows as canon just because a fair number of them have very unserious moments? Shall I also dismiss the Discworld series as non-canon mainly because of its comedy? You don’t dismiss things just because they are “unserious”. You take it to face value if you’re pulling off the analysis.

quote:
Yes, but is equates, that we may find a way in not distant future.

Which leaves too ambiguous a time frame what with “may” and “distant future”
The whole point was about the capacity to reproduce said capabilities. You were inferring after all that somehow knowledge of the reactions on the sun would somehow allow superiority over TA on the basis that we just know about without taking into account the possibility that TA is also extremely well knowledged about such things.

quote:
Incorrect analogy. We know more about reactions taking place on Sun anyway...
Hardly. The main point was to show that awareness does not mean the capacity to replicate it with any reasonable level of immediacy relative to human development.
quote:
No? Where then?

Somewhere in written fan fic. Mentioned ships with masses of hundreds of kilometers in size.
quote:

OK, then let's put it up another way - they are so bloody conservative, that they seem primitive, and are thus kinda unreal, when we remember, that all takes place in distant future.

“Millions of worlds” decimated in a war and multi gigaton figures for ground power is conservative and primitive to you?

quote:
What are you talking about right now?

That when you are capable of literally producing your military assets on the same battlefield you use said assets as opposed to requisitioning it from somewhere else, in the fashion that TA is capable of you are not particularly restrained by the same limitations that is to be expected from most other doctrines of warfare. You will have the capacity to cover more ground than ever before and have the sufficient power to replenish the numbers. Holding ground becomes something that is far easier, hence why the naval aspect comes in.
quote:
Warfare, that we see in TA, is not much different that ours - they do have aeroplanes, and they do have battleships and other large vessels with grand cannons, as well as grand cannons on the land (Big Bertha).
Being able to replicate units on the battlefield is not that much different than ours? Not having to worry about supply lines and logistical flows (since it’s all in the base) is no that different than ours?

quote:
In our history such weaponry (great ships with great cannons) proved highly ineffective and huge ships were helpless against aeroplanes. The day of sinking the "Yamato" (7th April 1945) is a bright example of that fact. And guys in TA still do have ships, that are bloody expensive to build, and can be bloody easily sunk by a bunch (not too big one) of properly armed aeroplanes, without achieveing any satisfying war effects?

Battlefield roles. Air units in general are about rapid response and attack. Naval assets are platforms that patrol grounds and provide forward bases. In TA while Naval assets are not significant it still proves useful if you want to hold a certain area. After all, Area denial is still particularly useful. And just because they possess naval assets does not equate to primitive. Star Wars also has sea faring units as well yet that doesn’t somehow make them primitive.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2009 05:25 PM
Der_SpeeDer

Which is the reason why it’s mainly on the technological side.

Yeah. Then tell a human to use it. If it is MAINLY on technological side, the question of who the user is, should have little meaning.

Funny thing about Orks. Their collective psychic abilities make them believe almost anything they want to believe.

Now, that sounds like a fairy tale, not Sci-Fi.

Take a closer look. The Ork axe in question cleaved through the gaps in the marines armor. Not the armor itself.

Not in each case.

What makes Starcrafts Plasma so special?

Why "StarCrafts" plasma? What is it with you that you have to stick it everywhere?
Plasma reaches high temperatures, thousands or even milions of degrees. No matter, where it appears, its devastating as a weapon.

Promethium at the very least is capable of burning underwater.

Should that show the firepower of weapons using it? Well, M79 incinerating bomb, that B-29 Super Fortresses were throwing on Japan cities, could also burn underwater. Not because it was soooo powerful. Because it had oxidizer - it was impossible to extinguish its fire with water or sand.

Xenos as well what with the mention of “continent sized fireballs”

That's cool, but what are those fireballs? Plasma? Fusion projectiles?

Besides, its firepower makes for a huge ass force multiplier.

And don't allow it just to take out a hulk? Without guns? Without functioning shields? They'd only had to destroy its engines and that should be enough. Yet they send Terminators and tell them to re-direct the course of the hulk and dispatch it back to the warp.

In contrast to 40k their war is extremely localized to a few star systems. Something that the Imperium could only dream about.

Entire sector is few planet systems to you? Not mentioning the distance between this sector and Earth.

What makes neosteel as favorably comparable as Adamantium?

And what does NOT make it like that? Especially that everybody can imagine Adamantium's durability in different way? E.g. in my Sci-verse (sorry for mentioning it again, if you find it too arrogant) adamantium is already out-of-date, replaced by better and more durable alloys.

With neosteel on the other hand, you see plenty of instances of it being hard hit what with Hydralisk spines being able to penetrate 2cm of it.

See above. What makes you so sure, that Hydralisk's spines wouldn't be able to penetrate through Adamantium, if it actually appeared in SC universe?

Have Yamato Cannons ever demonstrated continent destroying firepower?

OK, then they'd have to shoot from many Yamato Guns at once. Not too good.

And while that hulk can be considered a potential threat, its still relatively low priority in contrast to what is normally expected of 40k.

It is as serious threat, as any other. If they don't stop that hulk, they'd lose the planet for sure. Of course, they can call for exterminatus later, but they can do it anywhere else, when they lose battle on the ground.

Which is to say nothing about how far the relevant response fleet was from the colony itself.

If that armada was led by Duke, it was surely dispatched from somewhere near the heart of the Dominion.

And in the case of Space Hulk, they’d rather send the Marines to pull off that kind of boarding action rather than the Navy, who have got other things to do.

OK, now let's get this straight - they can dispatch a few ships, instead of one, only to destroy a hulk, suffer no casualties, and then send ships back to another tasks. Despite this, they waste bloody valuable troops (Terminators - there are only one hundred of them per chapter), that are only few and are horribly hard to replace, for... well, for what? Because "fleet has more important things to do"? Every time, when Terminators board hulk, even twenty or thirty of them may die. Let's just say, that there are several such hulks to dispatch at one time, and the whole Terminator troops are decimated quickly.
I think, that idea of one, tiny milion of such soldiers, even if they are super-soldiers (where, here's that "immense industrial power and manpower" of the Imperium - one milion of such guys is all, what they can dish out), for so giant Imperium, is one of greater nonsenses in WH40k. If there are battles being fought every day, those Space Marines would be decimated for sure, without an ability to replace fallen Adeptus Astartes quickly.

And yet those numbers can’t be ignored. Doing so would mean that you just personally reject a piece of the fluff.

Because I don't accept everything, what people tell me. Especially when I'm trying to discuss on a certain topic. I love Kroot, but that idea is bloody nonsense. Kroot are primitive race, that live on a primitive civilization level, they even don't build modern cities (I heard something about huts made of animals' hides) and yet somehow they can create such miracles, that even we today don't know.

And most guns used by Orks are from the Imperium by default which most of them are superior to WWII weapons.

In what way? Take that intro from DoW. And Ork, who killed the SM sergeant in the end, was firing from a machine gun, that was certainly not made by guys from Imperium. And looks, saying euphemistically, old-fashioned.

So where did the instance of a Hydralisk spine penetrating 2cm of Neosteel come from?

From fan fiction.

In the same time frame that, the single Battle Barge pulled off in the FW vid?

Yes. See "First Contact" fan movie.

A ghost doesn’t automatically mean all cannons and weapons are silenced.

But if Baneblade and few Basilisks are down, it is a considerable lost for the IG on the battlefield.

This is of course making the assumption that the air is not guarded against such attacks in the first place.

They'd have to be really quick then, if they are already attacked by entire Protoss force. Don't forget, too, that Arbiters can suffer condsiderable amount of damage. And that Protoss may always use Corsairs with their Disruption Web to make sure that he will suffer no damage at all.

Zerg Swarm rushing you? High density lasgun fire and support weapons in tandem with vicious artillery barrages

Don't forget the fact, that Zerg - as Tyranid - attack in huge swarms. Terrans also have perfect weaponry for massacring them, and yet Zerg may simply overwhelm them with sheer numbers, no matter what equipment they use. Imperial Guard isn't in better situation. Worse yet - Guardsmen have ridiculous body armor, compared to that of Terran Marines, and they would be massacred much quicker, than them, should the Zerg reach their lines.

If someone placed Psi Emmiter on Imperium planet, they would be simply flooded. So fast, that they will barely manage to send a distress call.

and Dominatrixes(yeah weird name I know).

Visit my topic on General Fiction Area, there you will find weird names :P.

Not caring about it does not allow you to omit the fact that it still is considered canon and therefore a part of the TA universe.

The fact, that it's considered canon, does not change the fact, that this is bullshit, added only to sound cool, not to make sense.

Shall I also dismiss the Discworld series as non-canon mainly because of its comedy?

Now, what's that comparision? Discworld series is, as you said, comedy. Is Total Annihilation a comedy? No. Do we talk about comedies right now? No. Is this whole discussion a parody or kidding? No.

“Millions of worlds” decimated in a war and multi gigaton figures for ground power is conservative and primitive to you?

If they use classes of battlefield units, that are out-of-date even now, in XXI century, and can't build aeroplanes, that would be at least a bit as fast, as ours? Yes. A bit.

Not having to worry about supply lines and logistical flows (since it’s all in the base)

I don't know, what supply lines and logistical flows have in common with anachronism of using units, that are anachronic even today.

And just because they possess naval assets does not equate to primitive.

And who did say here about naval assets as a whole? Certainly not me.

Last edited by Der_SpeeDer on Nov 4th, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Old Post Nov 4th, 2009 12:04 AM
doan_m

quote:

Yeah. Then tell a human to use it. If it is MAINLY on technological side, the question of who the user is, should have little meaning.

It does. Had it something to do with psionics than Fenix would have diced that hydralisk to bits.

quote:

Now, that sounds like a fairy tale, not Sci-Fi.

Subjective opinion is subjective.

quote:

Not in each case.

All instances in question show that the Orks had cleaved in the gaps of armor.

quote:

Why "StarCrafts" plasma? What is it with you that you have to stick it everywhere?
Plasma reaches high temperatures, thousands or even milions of degrees.

But that’s not to say its Starcraft’s equivalent of plasma(unless you can actually show an instance where a firebats flames have actually reached those kind of temperatures). These days, plasma is nothing but a mere buzzword that makes things sound nice, fancy and advance, but the real life applications of it are extremely impractical as hell.

quote:
No matter, where it appears, it’s devastating as a weapon.

So is 40k “Plasma”.

Plasma in most fiction doesn’t even come close to functioning the way that it would work in the real world. The means of confining any plasma into something that could be weaponized, would be extremely difficult. I.e, if you try to contain about 0.01 grams worth of plasma in a 1cc volume, the pressure to contain it would have to be something at 700 gPa. Thousands of time stronger than the yield strength of high grade steel. Plasma is a lot less dense than air so odds are that when it does fire out of its casing, it will float up. Hell, even when it does fire out of its containment field the particles are going to be flying in all kinds of random directions and will be dissipated extremely quickly in the air.
Which is why when quantifying plasma, the only real means of quantification is to show what it is capable of in-universe since often time, “plasma” in science fiction tends to adopts its own properties that are quite very contrary to what is expected in real life.

quote:

Should that show the firepower of weapons using it?

Considering that promethium occurs naturally in 40k, than yeah. It’s also apparently capable of burning in space. It does have extremely high temperature but I understand if that’s not sufficient enough, so I’ll just point you to page 64 of Gaunts Ghost: First and Only where three men are incinerated (burnt to ashes) in nearly an instance. Promethium is also used as a fuel that helps achieve escape velocity from a planet’s surface in 40k. And the minimum amount of energy to do that with chemically based reactions takes about 60 megajoules per kilogram to escape a planet(our planet at least) gravity well.
In another instance, I.e. Caiphas Cain: Caves of Ice, a promethium refinery containing a few billions tons worth of that stuff of was detonated with a series of charges that caused a massive explosion that surpassed 2 gigatons worth of power (when considering that the shockwave reached a bit above the upper atmosphere.

quote:

That's cool, but what are those fireballs? Plasma? Fusion projectiles?

You mean what caused the fireballs to be as big as continents? Standard torpedoes.

quote:

And don't allow it just to take out a hulk? Without guns? Without functioning shields? They'd only had to destroy its engines and that should be enough. Yet they send Terminators and tell them to re-direct the course of the hulk and dispatch it back to the warp.

What I mean by a huge ass force multiplier is that its firepower disparity between 40k and Starcraft allows 40k to decimate a significant portion of the SC forces.

And with Space Hulk it’s a different scenario. For one thing, you have the presence of genestealers in the ship. When there is a bunch of genestealers, theres also the Patriarch who while also being a powerful psyker, can also transmit act as a psychic beacon which draws the attention of other space faring tyranids to it. So naturally, personally going in there and finding the damn thing and killing it in person would certainly have to be an option that has to be taken, mainly because they really need to make sure that the very summoner of tyranid invasions have to be destroyed.

quote:

Entire sector is few planet systems to you?
Relative to 40k IT IS merely a few star systems in contrast to the galactic wide perpetual state of warfare.

quote:

And what does NOT make it like that?

That neosteel has a significantly lower threshold of tolerance for firepower than the 40k equivalent of Adamantium for one thing. Now while I cannot recall the name of the book itself, there was a Kevin John Anderson novel that possessed an event where a number of Hydralisk were shooting down a Battlecruiser. Something that wouldn’t have happened had they been trying to do it in 40k since adamantium is used on the hulls of 40k ship and is meant to withstand extreme levels of firepower.

quote:
See above. What makes you so sure, that Hydralisk's spines wouldn't be able to penetrate through Adamantium, if it actually appeared in SC universe?

Because the 40k equivalent of Adamantium has endured far worse then a Hydralisk spine? Unless of course you can show me that the Spine in question is capable of firepower similar to gigajoules worth of firepower, which is the same kind of firepower that Land Raiders endure with its Adamantium armor plates.

quote:

OK, then they'd have to shoot from many Yamato Guns at once. Not too good.

And just how many would have to be fielded in a fight to bring down one ship before they realize that the potential kills to losses ratios of such a fight would be horribly devastating and they decide to withdraw?

quote:

It is as serious threat, as any other. If they don't stop that hulk, they'd lose the planet for sure. Of course, they can call for exterminatus later, but they can do it anywhere else, when they lose battle on the ground.

Hence why I bring up, normally expected of 40k. A loss of a planet can be a big deal, but its definitely not something that is considered to be a significant loss in the grand scale. Depending on what level of civilization is expected from whatever potential victim planet it can have a fair number of ramifications but it won’t be enough to warrant sending something sizable when they have greater threats to deal with. unless it’s something like Terra, Armeggedon or maybe Medusa V.

quote:

If that armada was led by Duke, it was surely dispatched from somewhere near the heart of the Dominion.

And how far is Korhal IV?

quote:

OK, now let's get this straight - they can dispatch a few ships, instead of one, only to destroy a hulk, suffer no casualties, and then send ships back to another tasks.

quote:
Despite this, they waste bloody valuable troops (Terminators - there are only one hundred of them per chapter),

1000 per chapter. Not 100. And there are a crapload of chapters out there. Estimates are as potentially high as 1000 chapters out there in the 40k universe. The ones we do hear the most from are usually the more popular ones.

quote:
that are only few and are horribly hard to replace, for... well, for what? Because "fleet has more important things to do"?

When damn near every alien is at war with humanity, what else would you expect from the bulk of the fleet?

quote:
Every time, when Terminators board hulk, even twenty or thirty of them may die. Let's just say, that there are several such hulks to dispatch at one time, and the whole Terminator troops are decimated quickly.

Care to provide where you get those numbers?

quote:
I think, that idea of one, tiny milion of such soldiers, even if they are super-soldiers (where, here's that "immense industrial power and manpower" of the Imperium - one milion of such guys is all, what they can dish out),
They are special supersoldiers after all and they are certainly not the main defensive line of the Imperium. These particularly supersoldiers are reserved for particularly nasty situations that could potentially be beyond the league of the normal Imperium military force.

quote:
for so giant Imperium, is one of greater nonsenses in WH40k.

Only if you exclude the Navy and the Guard.

quote:
If there are battles being fought every day, those Space Marines would be decimated for sure, without an ability to replace fallen Adeptus Astartes quickly.

See above.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 12:44 AM
doan_m

quote:
Because I don't accept everything, what people tell me.

On the basis of far more subjective things this would be fine. However in the face of objective facts, this is not a particularly acceptable thing to do.

quote:
Especially when I'm trying to discuss on a certain topic. I love Kroot, but that idea is bloody nonsense. Kroot are primitive race, that live on a primitive civilization level, they even don't build modern cities (I heard something about huts made of animals' hides) and yet somehow they can create such miracles, that even we today don't know.

They are perfectly capable of building their own ships otherwise known as “warspheres” and sufficient to be a spacefaring race. Primitive relative to 40k, sure. But sufficient enough that they have their own warp drives.

quote:

In what way? Take that intro from DoW. And Ork, who killed the SM sergeant in the end, was firing from a machine gun, that was certainly not made by guys from Imperium. And looks, saying euphemistically, old-fashioned.

What makes you so sure? Considering the absurd level of diversity that is expected from the Imperium, it would be unsurprising if that gun was one of the guns that were only used too a localized level, but looted by the Orks.

quote:

From fan fiction.

It’s not. It’s even officially up on the Blizzard website in their unit description of the Hydralisk on the SC2 website.

quote:

Yes. See "First Contact" fan movie.

Key operative word here being Fanfic of course. Pretty extremely low level of canon and certainly not released from blizzard itself. And if your wondering why I choose to freely cite TA fanfic as canon: it’s because they actually have an official policy that allows for fanfic to be considered officially part of the TA lore.

quote:

But if Baneblade and few Basilisks are down, it is a considerable lost for the IG on the battlefield.

Even IF it does bring its nuclear warheads to bear upon the enemy, this still does not equate to the guns being sufficiently silenced.

quote:

They'd have to be really quick then, if they are already attacked by entire Protoss force. Don't forget, too, that Arbiters can suffer condsiderable amount of damage.

A spamload of multi gigajoule warheads ready to pummel there asses while also with the support of Imperial Navy air assets, that will be ready to contest the sky and dominance? And remember, said air assets like the thunderbolt come armed with lascannons capable of outputting great levels of energy to bear upon the enemy. There are also the Starhawk bombers, which are 200 ton monstrosities capable of launching its payload from 480 km ranges(Execution Hour If you are wondering where I got those numbers)

quote:

And that Protoss may always use Corsairs with their Disruption Web to make sure that he will suffer no damage at all.

And just how large is the distribution of a disruption web anyways that somehow it would prevent fighters from just flying around the blasted thing? Or for that matter, how close would it have to be to engage the web in the first place?

quote:

Don't forget the fact that Zerg - as Tyranid - attack in huge swarms. Terrans also have perfect weaponry for massacring them, and yet Zerg may simply overwhelm them with sheer numbers, no matter what equipment they use.

“No matter what equipment they use”. Riiigghtt….. The equipment that is used will make all the difference in the world when it comes to thinning down swarms, be it Zerg or Tyranids. This is why in the past; Tyranid swarms have actually been successfully repelled by the guard (Caiphas Cain Omnibus, first chapter). And sheer numbers is certainly not a no-limits fallacy as is being implied here. They do have a (large) upper limit that would allow them to be thinned out or pushed out of their own borders as the Terrans have managed (temporarily) in Brood War when it made the push to Char.

quote:

Imperial Guard isn't in better situation. Worse yet - Guardsmen have ridiculous body armor, compared to that of Terran Marines, and they would be massacred much quicker, than them, should the Zerg reach their lines.
I can grant that there armor might be inferior. However they do have the excellent firepower to bear upon an enemy like the Zerg, which would soon quickly find itself withering in the face of sustained lasgun fire. And before the power of the lasgun should even be underestimated. I’ll just bring up its capabilities.
-In Eye of Terror there is an instance of a laspistol stricking a fish in the water and making the water steam and the fish explode. Fragments of flesh, skin and bone ensues to drift to the seabed.
-In Inquisition War they erupt bones, flesh and vital organs.
-IIRC, 4th edition had mentioned something about lasguns penetrating straight through concrete.

quote:

If someone placed Psi Emmiter on Imperium planet, they would be simply flooded. So fast, that they will barely manage to send a distress call.

I would seriously doubt that it would be that fast at all. Considering that the weapons of the Imperium would allow for greater resistance to be put up. Or depending on the planet that would be invaded, outright repelled. Now how about if I put a Patriarch on a Terran planet? Now that would trigger a really nasty Tyranid swarm.

quote:
The fact, that it's considered canon, does not change the fact, that this is bullshit, added only to sound cool, not to make sense.

That is your subjective viewpoint, that it is “bullshit” as you say it is, despite the fact that its outright stated in the fluff. How you feel about what TA fluff is, will not change the fact that it is fluff and that therefore, I am still free to use it. Regardless of what your opinion of it is.

quote:

Now, what's that comparision? Discworld series is, as you said, comedy. Is Total Annihilation a comedy? No. Do we talk about comedies right now? No. Is this whole discussion a parody or kidding? No.

Based off of the grounds of the notion of “unserious fantasies” is non-canon, Discworld fits quite fine in the “unserious” category and by your logic would be omitted since it doesn’t take itself terribly seriously. >_>. Again this falls under the category of subjective viewpoints and perception and what your whole criteria for “unserious” is. Which just for clarifications state, has no bearing on the credibility of the status of canonicity.

quote:

If they use classes of battlefield units, that are out-of-date even now, in XXI century, and can't build aeroplanes, that would be at least a bit as fast, as ours? Yes. A bit.

They maintain some level of a modern military doctrine. So what? Starcraft and 40K maintains similar doctrines like that as well. A similar doctrine does not necessarily reflect upon the primacy of a certain science fiction universe. It reflects upon practical applications of technology sure but definitely not upon how advanced a sci-fi universe is. Besides, there still not primitive because that gigatons worth of firepower for ground units is still there.

quote:

I don't know, what supply lines and logistical flows have in common with anachronism of using units, that are anachronic even today.

Hint: TA official canon policy is that in game build times are considered canon.

quote:

And who did say here about naval assets as a whole? Certainly not me.

You did, when you inferred that TA possessing naval assets makes them somehow primitive.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 12:46 AM
Der_SpeeDer

It does.

... not. Humans have no psionic power, so those devices would be useless if they tried to use them. Protoss do, so they may do that.

Had it something to do with psionics than Fenix would have diced that hydralisk to bits.

It has a lot to do with psionics. Those devices only help them to wield what is inside them, they create nothing by themselves. Fenix didn't dice that Hydralisk to bits, because he wasn't on high Khala level, and was unable to use his psionics without those amplifiers.

All instances in question show that the Orks had cleaved in the gaps of armor.

If an Ork stroke with his axe directly from above, at Marine's arm, axe should've bounced off his... damn, I don't know the word. That huge piece of metal protecting his shoulders.

I.e, if you try to contain about 0.01 grams worth of plasma in a 1cc volume, the pressure to contain it would have to be something at 700 gPa.

Hold, hold, hold. Why fiction plasma gun must be loaded with pure plasma (that of milion degrees or so) already? This may be only a fuel, that is transformed into plasma due to reaction that takes place inside the rifle.
Not to mention the fact, that in WH40k Space Marine's plasma rifles are loaded with pure plasma. How is that possible and how is it that those rifles do not melt? Well, in Doom 3 you put pure plasma inside plasma gun too...

It’s also apparently capable of burning in space.

Just like that instance with burning underwater - it is a question of putting an oxidizer into the substance, not of its destructive power. If we thought that way, we would say, that M79 bombs from WWII (those I mentioned earlier), are as powerful as flamethrower loaded with Promethium is.

First and Only where three men are incinerated (burnt to ashes) in nearly an instance.

That DOES show its power.

So naturally, personally going in there and finding the damn thing and killing it in person would certainly have to be an option that has to be taken, mainly because they really need to make sure that the very summoner of tyranid invasions have to be destroyed.

Well, should he survive the firepower of Imperial Navy ship?

Relative to 40k IT IS merely a few star systems in contrast to the galactic wide perpetual state of warfare.

The problem is that for UED whole Korpulu sector is but one of many fish to fry, as for WH40k races it is merely a few star systems.

And just how many would have to be fielded in a fight to bring down one ship before they realize that the potential kills to losses ratios of such a fight would be horribly devastating and they decide to withdraw?

I stand corrected.

And how far is Korhal IV?

Probably closer than from one Imperium planet to another.

1000 per chapter. Not 100. And there are a crapload of chapters out there.

One hundred. One thousand is an entire chapter, including Terminators and "normal" Tactical Marines, Assault Marines, Scouts, etc. And there are one thousand of those chapters. One thousand chapters, each of one thousand Marines - a milion.

When damn near every alien is at war with humanity, what else would you expect from the bulk of the fleet?

And what's the big deal for the bulk of the fleet to send five ships, instead of one.

Care to provide where you get those numbers?

Playing "Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels" smile. (damn, does anybody know, how to prevent this game from crashing under WinXP?)
There were around thirty Terminators involved into action. Part of them surely died. The other problem is, that they not always win, and then whole squad goes down.

They are special supersoldiers after all and they are certainly not the main defensive line of the Imperium.

They take part in many conflicts anyway. Nasty situations are quite common in WH40k, what's more. And what's further more, if they are sent to handle nasty situations, there is even greater risk, that they will die.

Such Blood Ravens. GW didn't see it as a bad idea to sent them into few conflicts at one time (Dawn of War campaigns).

Only if you exclude the Navy and the Guard.

OK, but there's still something not right about it. Terrans, that are not so technologically advanced, are advanced enough e.g. to equip each soldier with power armour, not a small part of them. And to mind condition them, so they would obey any command.

Primitive relative to 40k, sure.

Damn, they are (in many ways) primitive relative to our sad reality.

But sufficient enough that they have their own warp drives.

And how do they use them, BTW, as they are not psychically gifted?

What makes you so sure? Considering the absurd level of diversity that is expected from the Imperium, it would be unsurprising if that gun was one of the guns that were only used too a localized level, but looted by the Orks.

OK, so what about its level of technological advancement? What makes it more powerful that machine guns from WWII or reality?

It’s not. It’s even officially up on the Blizzard website in their unit description of the Hydralisk on the SC2 website.

I thought we were talking about SC1, so make up your mind.

Even IF it does bring its nuclear warheads to bear upon the enemy, this still does not equate to the guns being sufficiently silenced.

I were rather thinking about Lockdown for all this time, but, as you say it, right, Ghost may decimate IG by throwing a nuke on their heads.

Tyranid swarms have actually been successfully repelled by the guard (Caiphas Cain Omnibus, first chapter). And sheer numbers is certainly not a no-limits fallacy as is being implied here.

I said that they MAY do it, not that it is inevitable. But when there are so many Zerg, as on Antiga Prime, this might end bad for the IG anyway. Then they covered the entire planet like carpet, and filled the air with their flyers.

And before the power of the lasgun should even be underestimated. I’ll just bring up its capabilities.

I've heard about its capabilities. But when I play Dawn of War, I still see, how Guardsmen fire at Kroot with those lasguns, and can hardly kill them. Kroot - that do not wear any armor, and they are even naked, what's more. They should be massacred.

Now how about if I put a Patriarch on a Terran planet? Now that would trigger a really nasty Tyranid swarm.

I do not deny it, and what result of it would be. I'm just saying, that both Terrans and IG are in deep sh*t, whether Zerg attack them, or Tyranid do.

How you feel about what TA fluff is, will not change the fact that it is fluff and that therefore, I am still free to use it. Regardless of what your opinion of it is.

Then look at it in this way. You keep talking about Imperial weaponry firepower, and plating/shields of their ships, using units like teratons or gigajoules - something that is not told about in SC-verse. Let's suppose, that some kinda fan writes a novel, where he puts an info, that Yamato Cannon delivers firepower of X teratons - and that would be considered by Blizzard as canon. What would you say then?

Besides, there still not primitive because that gigatons worth of firepower for ground units is still there.

Yea, but certain areas of this whole warfare seem anachronic anyway.

You did, when you inferred that TA possessing naval assets makes them somehow primitive.

I was talking about battleships, not naval force as a whole.

Last edited by Der_SpeeDer on Nov 5th, 2009 at 06:57 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 06:48 PM
Liberator
Mums Gardener

Warhammer 40k FTW

And in the case of the Imperium v the Terrans,

if we exclude the variances in technology for a moment, the Imperium has WAY more manpower at their disposal than the broken Terran.

- Emma Goldman

Last edited by Liberator on Nov 5th, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 10:25 PM
Liberator is currently offline Click here to Send Liberator a Private Message Find more posts by Liberator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doan_m

quote:
not. Humans have no psionic power, so those devices would be useless if they tried to use them. Protoss do, so they may do that.
Humans using Protoss technology is irrelevant to the argument.
quote:
It has a lot to do with psionics. Those devices only help them to wield what is inside them, they create nothing by themselves. Fenix didn't dice that Hydralisk to bits, because he wasn't on high Khala level, and was unable to use his psionics without those amplifiers.
You are missing the point. It is highly on the technological side because its THAT particular kind of technology that facilitates in the weaponization of Protoss psionic energy into a coherent blade. Its an enhancer that can be akin to power armor(modern world) in the sense of enhancing user abilities. The fact that that Zealots normally require to have those forearms/amplifiers in the first place is a testamant to that fact. Fenix himself normally uses said crystals in combat to focus his energy. Had it been psionics, then they would certainly not be required to mount those wrist units on there person.

quote:
If an Ork stroke with his axe directly from above, at Marine's arm, axe should've bounced off his... damn, I don't know the word. That huge piece of metal protecting his shoulders.
Pauldrons is the word you are looking for. And gaps in armor,mean sections of the armor that well... are not. Like joint areas to facilitate movement. Its natural and its to be expected for any armor in general because otherwise the wearer wouldn't be able to move.

quote:
Hold, hold, hold. Why fiction plasma gun must be loaded with pure plasma (that of milion degrees or so) already?
You are of course making the assumption that the properties of fictional plasma are similar to that of real life plasma. Something I pointed out against.
quote:
This may be only a fuel, that is transformed into plasma due to reaction that takes place inside the rifle.
You don't get more straightforward then the categorization "plasma fuel"
quote:
Not to mention the fact, that in WH40k Space Marine's plasma rifles are loaded with pure plasma.
And much like Starcraft Plasma, do not possess the same traits as real life "millions of degrees" plasma that we know about.
quote:
How is that possible and how is it that those rifles do not melt? Well, in Doom 3 you put pure plasma inside plasma gun too...
Same goes for Doom 3. NOT the same traits as real life plasma. As I have mentioned before, its merely a buzzword in fiction and the only way to judge it is on what kind of properties it possesses exclusively in its own respective universe. Unless of course, someone out there actually has a realistic portrayal of plasma in science fiction.
quote:
Just like that instance with burning underwater - it is a question of putting an oxidizer into the substance, not of its destructive power.
Promethium generally doesn't have have any evidence inside the material. It could however be a natural oxidizer on its own.
quote:
Well, should he survive the firepower of Imperial Navy ship?
Technically no. However considering that the kind of ship that these Patriarchs can be found in along with its genestealer kin, a boarding action would be more ideal in neutralizing the threat. After all, even when a ship does get blown up there will still be sizable chunks of the ship left for the patriarch to stay in and survive in, even in the vacuum of space itself.
quote:
The problem is that for UED whole Korpulu sector is but one of many fish to fry, as for WH40k races it is merely a few star systems.
It goes something like this. The Koprulu sector is a huge focus of attention not just because its the Terrans mainstay sector, but also because of the relative size of the Terrans and the UED in general. Which is apparently an empire of 23 billion+. Significantly smaller than the 40k equivalent of humanity. And for 40k its NOT a few star systems. They've got nearly millions of worlds out there. Some of them Hive World containing hundreds of billions of people.

quote:
Probably closer than from one Imperium planet to another.
And there in lies the problem. If the relevant Terran colonies are so close together that they can actually respond within sufficient time then it is of little wonder really why they can field a fair number in a reasonable number of time. Because the relevant territories that are actually covered are quite closely knitted together. Space craft in 40k however are capable of travelling thousands of lightyears in a matter of days(Rogue Traders: Slave of Darkness). Now while warp travel in general can be inconsistent, it isn't wildly so that thousands of lightyears within days can't be considered a norm.
quote:
One hundred. One thousand is an entire chapter, including Terminators and "normal" Tactical Marines, Assault Marines, Scouts, etc. And there are one thousand of those chapters. One thousand chapters, each of one thousand Marines - a milion.
Thats right.
quote:
And what's the big deal for the bulk of the fleet to send five ships, instead of one.
5 ships is also a fairly small number. While resources are limited, the ships still do travel in groups.

quote:
There were around thirty Terminators involved into action. Part of them surely died. The other problem is, that they not always win, and then whole squad goes down.
In all liklihood it was a really special case. And nothing here indicates that it was 20-30 wiped out. In general, 20-30 marines wiped out in a single engagement would be considered a massive catastrophe by marine standards. Space hulks are also different depending on size and resistance. So I don't think this can be used as a meaningful average.

quote:
They take part in many conflicts anyway. Nasty situations are quite common in WH40k, what's more. And what's further more, if they are sent to handle nasty situations, there is even greater risk, that they will die.
Nasty situations are common in 40k yes. But the REALLY nasty situations are saved for marines. And while warfare generally does run the risk of the marines getting killed, losses are generally very few with kill ratios highly in the marines favor.

quote:
Such Blood Ravens. GW didn't see it as a bad idea to sent them into few conflicts at one time (Dawn of War campaigns).
There is a definite hint in DoW that a good number of them are sent, however we can't use those ingames squads as an idea as to just how many. We can however accept that they were sent into such a large priority situation.

quote:
OK, but there's still something not right about it. Terrans, that are not so technologically advanced, are advanced enough e.g. to equip each soldier with power armour, not a small part of them. And to mind condition them, so they would obey any command.
This comes down to preference as to how resources are used. With 40k, they need to produce something that is relatively cheap, and fast to produce for most of the lower common denominator of guard units. Even then though such cheap units are still sufficiently advanced enough. This should naturally be expected as most industrial forge worlds need to produce something fast enough to meet the constant demands that perpetual warfare with a galaxy full of enemies would create.

quote:
Damn, they are (in many ways) primitive relative to our sad reality.
Hardly. They are just very unusual to say the least.

quote:
And how do they use them, BTW, as they are not psychically gifted?
They don't have to be. Most Tau, or Kroot drives are very different to the Imperium. With the Imperium, they drive straight into the Warp and screw around. With the Tau and the Kroot on the otherhand they choose to merely skim the surface(safer but slower) to get to places.

quote:
OK, so what about its level of technological advancement? What makes it more powerful that machine guns from WWII or reality?
In the hands of Orks its generally hard to tell. A gestalt psychic field that lets you believe whatever you want to believe will do that. It is however sufficient enough to be considered a heavy weapon by 40k standards, if we are to exclusively go by whats seen in the DoW intro.

quote:
I thought we were talking about SC1, so make up your mind.
No we are talking about the SC Universe in general. Had i been talking about SC1 then I wouldn't even dare cite novels.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 11:23 PM
doan_m

quote:
I were rather thinking about Lockdown for all this time, but, as you say it, right, Ghost may decimate IG by throwing a nuke on their heads.
And lockdown has been shown to be permanent? And again, this requires getting within operational range to actually deploy said weapon before getting blasted to hell under oh so much las and tank fire. And if they wanted to, they could just lob a torpedo onto the position of the staging ground of whatever SC force there is from orbit. (If they would even need to escalate to such drastic measures, but for the record, they have actually done stuff like this). Dropping a nuke, on a given force, while it would technically help the terran forces is not a definite counter to the 40k ground forces, considering that they can’t constantly use it and it is limited in deployment. Unlike artillery barrages.
quote:
I said that they MAY do it, not that it is inevitable. But when there are so many Zerg, as on Antiga Prime, this might end bad for the IG anyway. Then they covered the entire planet like carpet, and filled the air with their flyers.
Considering that Tyranids are a far, far worse enemy than the Zerg could ever hope to be, I would seriously doubt that the Zerg would even hit that level. The Nids are after all, a force that constantly contest the guard and are a far more dangerous enemy. Especially considering that invasion forces are generally massive in number per planet in contrast to Zerg, reproduce faster and have generally insane units. I.e. Biotitans capable of killing every known guard within a several kilometer radius before they can even send off an uninterrupted signal for help. Bio-ships capable of adapting to the point where in a matter of three days, it managed to make itself nigh impenetrable to lance weaponry.

quote:
I've heard about its capabilities. But when I play Dawn of War, I still see, how Guardsmen fire at Kroot with those lasguns, and can hardly kill them.

Remember what I said about using in-game stuff unless explicitly stated otherwise? And how its generally unacceptable (not just me mind you) to use it because it’s not particularly reflective of the universe itself? It especially applies for DoW. Otherwise, I would be able to use Starcraft gameplay as a means of defining their capabilities. And that would not turn out well at all.

quote:
Kroot - that do not wear any armor, and they are even naked, what's more.

Yeah, there hides are yay strong apparently.

quote:
They should be massacred.

And yet they generally aren’t. And they are generally talented at stealth to the point where they can even sneak up on Eldar.

quote:
I do not deny it, and what result of it would be. I'm just saying, that both Terrans and IG are in deep sh*t, whether Zerg attack them, or Tyranid do.

For the IG I’d hardly doubt it would be “deep sh*t” as you say it would be. Especially since they have experience with a far worse enemy.

quote:
Then look at it in this way. You keep talking about Imperial weaponry firepower, and plating/shields of their ships, using units like teratons or gigajoules - something that is not told about in SC-verse.

Not directly. And 40k rarely ever cites these numbers as well. What does happen though is a person from out of the blue will actually analyze and calculate any instance of firepower or capabilities and actually pin numbers on them within a well reasoned constraint. Such can also apply to Starcraft as well.

quote:
Let's suppose, that some kinda fan writes a novel, where he puts an info, that Yamato Cannon delivers firepower of X teratons - and that would be considered by Blizzard as canon. What would you say then?

If Blizzard actually made it canon, then I would accept it as such since the organization itself had actually defined such an event as an official part of the lore. It can’t get more clear than that. And had it been canon I would have accepted it and taken it to face value as well. I generally don’t have any problem with what is and what isn’t written as canon so long as there is reasonable proof to show that its actually written as such.

quote:
I was talking about battleships, not naval force as a whole.

Here is the difference. Battleships for us, are freakishly expensive. It’s a large part that thanks to their expense in finances and resources that makes a battleship hellishly obsolete in these modern worlds in the face of cheaper alternatives (and could be taken down by such). Such a constraint hardly ever exist for TA who thanks to its methods of asset deployment are capable of fielding such weapons for the cheap on nothing but mass and energy.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 11:23 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Just wanted to point out a couple of fluff things.

First, the Imperium in 40K is VERY slow to react. The reason they don't board Hulks with countless troops is simply because they take too long to get there- the navy is extremely slow. The Marines (with their own ships) are the rapid reaction force.

Secondly, it was always endemic to the plot of Space Hulk that there was something of value aboard the Hulk. Else they would indeed just blast it to pieces.

Thirdly... Space Hulks are exceptionally rare.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 08:49 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Der_SpeeDer

It is highly on the technological side because its THAT particular kind of technology that facilitates in the weaponization of Protoss psionic energy into a coherent blade. Its an enhancer that can be akin to power armor(modern world) in the sense of enhancing user abilities.

I'd say, that it does not enhance user's abilities, but enables him to use something that is already inside him. Like a tool.

The fact that that Zealots normally require to have those forearms/amplifiers in the first place is a testamant to that fact.

It is only a testament to the fact that they are not enough trained/experienced to use their psionic powers without those forearms.

You don't get more straightforward then the categorization "plasma fuel"

I could call it "Something That Is Not Plasma At All, But Is About To Become It", but it's not that cool.

Unless of course, someone out there actually has a realistic portrayal of plasma in science fiction.

Well, I have an idea, that I mentioned earlier - that plasma guns are merely loaded with a sort of 'fuel', that transformed into plasma due to reaction taking place inside the gun. And becomes plasma, while leaving the barrel.

And for 40k its NOT a few star systems.

Christ...
I meant, for UED, the Koprulu sector is but a few systems, AS WELL AS FOR the races of WH40k.

Thats right. 5 ships is also a fairly small number.

So come up with an amount of ships with enough firepower, to destroy but a hulk.

There is a definite hint in DoW that a good number of them are sent, however we can't use those ingames squads as an idea as to just how many.

Oh, but we may use the plot.
During the original campaign, it was only one company.
During Dark Crusade, it were three companies - the first, the third, and the fourth. That means, they had around 300 Marines in action on Kronus. Should they lose that war, and suffer the loss of whole strike force (or at least most of it), it is a considerable blow for the Blood Ravens chapter.

This comes down to preference as to how resources are used. With 40k, they need to produce something that is relatively cheap, and fast to produce for most of the lower common denominator of guard units.

OK, but Imperium still consists of hundreds of systems, and should have immense industrial power. Even if there are bilions of troops to equip, there are many worlds from where they can get resources and money for it, more than Terran Dominion has. If we try to check, how many soldiers are there per planet, the numbers could be quite similar (maybe a bit more on the Imperium's side, as they have such freaking worlds as those of Cadian system). Which still shows, that somehow Terrans of SC can equip each soldier (even the lowest scum) with technologically advanced power armor, and Imperium cannot. Saving cash for Marines, perhaps?

Hardly. They are just very unusual to say the least.

Well, what would prevent us from decimating them with air strikes, e.g.? Or even better - nuclear bombardment? What would be left of their infantry, if contemporary tanks or mobile cannons would fire at it?
They do not use vehicles, they do not use sophisticated weaponry, and are kinda wild generally.

No we are talking about the SC Universe in general. Had i been talking about SC1 then I wouldn't even dare cite novels.

Well, then you should check new toys of SC races, such as Void Ray of the Protoss. Or Terran Thor.

And lockdown has been shown to be permanent?

It was shown to be long enough.

And again, this requires getting within operational range to actually deploy said weapon before getting blasted to hell under oh so much las and tank fire.

And since when Ghosts attack frontally? They are silent assassins and invisible killers, they can sneak up to the enemies and deliver the blow, before they realize, what's going on.

Considering that Tyranids are a far, far worse enemy than the Zerg could ever hope to be, I would seriously doubt that the Zerg would even hit that level.

Well, it took only a few hours for the Zerg to take over the whole planet and slaughter all of its inhabitants, when they attacked Antiga Prime after the activation of Psi Emmiter. For Tyranid it took almost fifty days, e.g., when they conquered Dalki Prime. What did PDF do all this time?

Bio-ships capable of adapting to the point where in a matter of three days, it managed to make itself nigh impenetrable to lance weaponry.

Heard about it. What's the point of making up such miracles? How then did the Imperium defeat them at all?
Besides, all Zerg unit enhancements are based on evolution, which means, that they also have an ability to adapt. Making them not invulnerable, but much more resistant to the enemy weaponry.

For the IG I’d hardly doubt it would be “deep sh*t” as you say it would be. Especially since they have experience with a far worse enemy.

If they can be beaten even when they have time to react, I hardly imagine, how would they prepare an organized defense when milions of Zerg arrive at one time, due to the use of Psi Emmiter.

I generally don’t have any problem with what is and what isn’t written as canon so long as there is reasonable proof to show that its actually written as such.

Here lies the problem.
An idea of Yamato Cannons delivering teratons of firepower (and thus, enough firepower to overload the shields of Imperial ships) seems to be a lie, because such cannon should be able to destroy the planets. And yet it doesn't (or maybe, perhaps - Behemoth class battlecruiser, trying to destroy a planet with Yamato Cannon, was never portrayed anyway!).
That's why I don't believe in that fluff about Pewee's firepower as well - those charges are tiny, cause tiny destruction, and certainly do not look like they were delivering an explosion equal to explosion of one tone of trotile per projectile. Especially when they fire a long bursts of such projectiles - man, bombs from WWII, some of which had a firepower of five kilotons, caused local earthquakes, when they exploded! And Pewee can fire even fifty of those projectiles, that are said to have firepower of one kiloton per each, and do nothing.

Here is the difference. Battleships for us, are freakishly expensive.

Very small difference anyway. Even if they have huge amount of recources, those recources must be used to create a huge army of units, that are needed on the battlefield, not those, that are useless or can be slaughtered easily. Who will be in the worse situation, one army with 1000 battleships, or the second one, with 1000 ships of other classes? If all those battleships are sunk by air strikes (and it's not hard, because battleships are helpless against them), it would appear, that the first army only wasted all those recources.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2009 09:49 PM
doan_m

quote:

I'd say, that it does not enhance user's abilities, but enables him to use something that is already inside him. Like a tool.

And tools, means that something can be obtained with enhanced user efficiency and performance through a particular piece of technology that helps them obtain an ends to a means with something that makes the process easier. The fact that they need to actually utilize said tool in the first place is already evidence to the fact that for most of the zealots, they need those forearm units.

quote:

It is only a testament to the fact that they are not enough trained/experienced to use their psionic powers without those forearms.

See above

quote:

I could call it "Something That Is Not Plasma At All, But Is About To Become It", but it's not that cool.

Except than it wouldn't be called Plasma fuel anymore. Plasma Fuel implicates that the means of the energy supply is the plasma itself.

quote:

Well, I have an idea, that I mentioned earlier - that plasma guns are merely loaded with a sort of 'fuel', that transformed into plasma due to reaction taking place inside the gun. And becomes plasma, while leaving the barrel.

Except I have yet to see anything that would give reasonable evidence to such a theory in the first place. Unless of course, Plasma in Starcraft is nearly identical to just really hot fire.

quote:

Christ...
I meant, for UED, the Koprulu sector is but a few systems, AS WELL AS FOR the races of WH40k.

It still does not mean that they would be on the same scale(or nearly identical) to 40k.

quote:

So come up with an amount of ships with enough firepower, to destroy but a hulk.
1 technically. Depends on the hulk itself as "space Hulk" is extremely ambiguous as it could mean the difference between a 1km monstrosity to a 7km monstrosity. However with Tyranids you'd much rather be sure that you kill the damn thing in person.

quote:

Oh, but we may use the plot.
During the original campaign, it was only one company.
During Dark Crusade, it were three companies - the first, the third, and the fourth. That means, they had around 300 Marines in action on Kronus. Should they lose that war, and suffer the loss of whole strike force (or at least most of it), it is a considerable blow for the Blood Ravens chapter.

Considering what exactly did happen on Kronus(its not every day that 6 other factions contest who shall claim the planet) and the secrets that it held(Blood Ravens do after all seek knowledge of the past of their own chapter) its hardly surprising.

quote:

OK, but Imperium still consists of hundreds of systems, and should have immense industrial power.

hundreds of thousands of systems. And they do have a massive industrial system. Enough to actually dedicate entire worlds to producing military goods.

quote:

Even if there are bilions of troops to equip, there are many worlds from where they can get resources and money for it, more than Terran Dominion has.

And while they certainly do, one should keep in mind that the technological state of all of 40k is not entirely symmetrical. Oh yes and the guard number is in all likelihood a lot bigger than billions.

quote:
If we try to check, how many soldiers are there per planet, the numbers could be quite similar (maybe a bit more on the Imperium's side, as they have such freaking worlds as those of Cadian system).

You are of course not mentioning the local Planetary Defense Force(separate from the guard) that also has to be supplied with military assets as well.

quote:
Which still shows, that somehow Terrans of SC can equip each soldier (even the lowest scum) with technologically advanced power armor, and Imperium cannot.

When one considers the constant influx of troops and the number of casualties that can occur within a single day of galactic wide fighting, its natural to go for the goods that are faster to produce in that kind of hellish universe. The guard may not get power armor, but 40k is sufficiently advanced enough that something like a Lasgun(The AK-47 of 40k) can be produced for extremely cheap.

quote:
Saving cash for Marines, perhaps?

While the Guard may not get sufficient infantry assets, they do however have the privilege of receiving better armored fighting vehicles than what the Marines have. They are after all, entitled to requisition the superheavies if they have to.

quote:

Well, what would prevent us from decimating them with air strikes, e.g.? Or even better - nuclear bombardment?
Why in the hell would we bombard them with nukes

This is of course, again making the assumption that the enemy doesn't fire back, doesn't move to contest your ground, doesn't have air assets to contest the skies, or for that matter doesn't have tactical and strategic means of fighting back. And considering that the Tau that usually does back up the Kroot, they will have those assets. I also seriously doubt that any of this would work on warspheres.

quote:
What would be left of their infantry, if contemporary tanks or mobile cannons would fire at it?

Assuming of course that the Tau they fight with are not present at all.

quote:
They do not use vehicles, they do not use sophisticated weaponry, and are kinda wild generally.

In 40k yeah they sure are. But apparently they've got steeds that can shrug off plasma rounds just fine. >_>

quote:

Well, then you should check new toys of SC races, such as Void Ray of the Protoss. Or Terran Thor.

I am already fully aware of them. It hardly changes my point. Especially on the point of superior firepower and numbers in favor of 40k.

quote:

It was shown to be long enough.

In what?

quote:
And since when Ghosts attack frontally? They are silent assassins and invisible killers, they can sneak up to the enemies and deliver the blow, before they realize, what's going on.

With psykers within the regiments of the Imperial Guard?

quote:

Well, it took only a few hours for the Zerg to take over the whole planet and slaughter all of its inhabitants, when they attacked Antiga Prime after the activation of Psi Emmiter.

The Tyranids behave differently than the Zerg do. What the Tyranids do, is consume every single living thing in its path along with every natural thing that facilitates living. It drinks the oceans, the atmosphere, the grass etc etc. They basically consume every single thing down to the last cell until the world itself is just nothing but a barren atmospherless rock. In other words: The Tyranids have refueled at the gas station.

quote:
For Tyranid it took almost fifty days, e.g., when they conquered Dalki Prime. What did PDF do all this time?

Getting there asses kicked naturally. Just remember, not all of those 50 days were not actually open fighting. The way the Tyranids function, they generally prefer to infiltrate whatever planet they are on first and create genestealer cults to butter up the planet, even if its a relatively small backwater agriculture world like Dalki Prime. IIRC, it was only one single drop pod that actually had went into the planet and from that one seed, had spread until the 1.5 million hive ships had arrived to consume the entire planet.

Had the nids gone in with a standard assault without the goal of refueling and just to slaughter the local populace, then of course it would have taken a signficantly shorter amount of time.

quote:
Heard about it. What's the point of making up such miracles? How then did the Imperium defeat them at all?

The Imperium hasn't defeated them at all. Generally speaking.
quote:

Besides, all Zerg unit enhancements are based on evolution, which means, that they also have an ability to adapt. Making them not invulnerable, but much more resistant to the enemy weaponry.

To the point that it rivals Tyranid evolution?

quote:
If they can be beaten even when they have time to react, I hardly imagine, how would they prepare an organized defense when milions of Zerg arrive at one time, due to the use of Psi Emmiter.

And the Zerg are on par with the Tyranids? Really now, one of the things that really make the Tyranids so deadly is not just the fact that there attack forces are significantly larger then the millions that the Zerg would field planet side, but also because they can block off communications and sever warp travel into and out of the planetary system.

quote:
Here lies the problem.
An idea of Yamato Cannons delivering teratons of firepower (and thus, enough firepower to overload the shields of Imperial ships)

Imperial ships have nearly instantly rechargable shields that allow them to reach full power again in nearly no time flat.

quote:

seems to be a lie, because such cannon should be able to destroy the planets.

Based on what evidence?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 04:38 PM
doan_m

quote:
And yet it doesn't (or maybe, perhaps - Behemoth class battlecruiser, trying to destroy a planet with Yamato Cannon, was never portrayed anyway!).

And if it was actually portrayed as such then it would be acceptable. While written fluff where they just simply state it can be acceptable, known feats are better which is really the point i'm going at with that. Like in 40k, where there are actually demonstrated feats of teraton to even petaton level firepower in various novels.

quote:

That's why I don't believe in that fluff about Pewee's firepower as well - those charges are tiny, cause tiny destruction, and certainly do not look like they were delivering an explosion equal to explosion of one tone of trotile per projectile.

quote:

Especially when they fire a long bursts of such projectiles - man, bombs from WWII, some of which had a firepower of five kilotons, caused local earthquakes, when they exploded! And Pewee can fire even fifty of those projectiles, that are said to have firepower of one kiloton per each, and do nothing.

Depends on what you are using as the basis of measurement. With the cavedog official sources, 1 kiloton is hardly surprising.

quote:
Very small difference anyway. Even if they have huge amount of recources, those recources must be used to create a huge army of units, that are needed on the battlefield, not those, that are useless or can be slaughtered easily.

Unlike most warfare, TA resources are theoretically not limited, meaning that they can simultaneously fill the demand for a sufficiently land based force AND a naval force at the same time.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 04:38 PM
Der_SpeeDer

Except than it wouldn't be called Plasma fuel anymore. Plasma Fuel implicates that the means of the energy supply is the plasma itself.

Hardly. Naming a ship "battlecruiser" or "auxiliary cruiser" does not mean, that they are truly cruisers.

Unless of course, Plasma in Starcraft is nearly identical to just really hot fire.

Not really. Plasma is also used in cannons of AAV-5 Arclite Siege Tanks, and their successors, Crucio Siege Tanks.

And while they certainly do, one should keep in mind that the technological state of all of 40k is not entirely symmetrical.

Well, I may agree here. The greatest problem for Terran/Zerg/Protoss is fighting Imperial Navy, because land forces are not that powerful.

You are of course not mentioning the local Planetary Defense Force(separate from the guard)

Thought it is a division of Imperial Guard.

While the Guard may not get sufficient infantry assets, they do however have the privilege of receiving better armored fighting vehicles than what the Marines have. They are after all, entitled to requisition the superheavies if they have to.

Yeah, but not all of those vehicles are so devastating. Sentinels and Hellhouds have considerable firepower, but are futile and don't have really good armour (at least they are destroyed very easily in DoW, even if you don't have much heavy weaponry). Only Leman Russ is truly resistant and can suffer massive damage. Well, there are Baneblades, too, but how many are there of them per regiment? Basilisks are typical mobile cannons, so it is hardly surprising, that their main feature is firepower, not armour.

Why in the hell would we bombard them with nukes

And why wouldn't we? Air strikes would be enough?

And considering that the Tau that usually does back up the Kroot

I'm talking only about the Kroot, not Kroot-Tau alliance.

[QUOTE=12334266]Originally posted by doan_m
Assuming of course that the Tau they fight with are not present at all.

See above.

In 40k yeah they sure are.

Guys, that consume the flesh of their fallen enemies, and dwell in houses made of animal hides, are kinda wild not only in WH40k.

In what?

In that you can use lockdown on an armoured vehicle, and destroy it with a weapon designed for killing infantry, before it regains ability to move.

With psykers within the regiments of the Imperial Guard?

Who won't see the Ghosts due to their psychic inhibitors?

The Tyranids behave differently than the Zerg do. What the Tyranids do, is consume every single living thing in its path along with every natural thing that facilitates living.

The Zerg normally do it, too. They use the local living organisms as a genetic material or meat for the larvae.

The Imperium hasn't defeated them at all. Generally speaking.

But the Tyranid do not always win, do they? So how is it, that one time they adapt so quickly, that even lances can't harm them, and another time they get their asses kicked? Are those miracles with adaptation to the level mentioned above single cases?

To the point that it rivals Tyranid evolution?

Maybe.
Don't forget the fact, that the Zerg quickly incorporate the genes of other lifeforms into their fold. Should they engage the Tyranid, it is highly possible, that they would soon also have new breeds of units, with such inpenetrable armour.

Really now, one of the things that really make the Tyranids so deadly is not just the fact that there attack forces are significantly larger then the millions that the Zerg would field planet side

I'm not so sure about that milions. I just don't know any official info of their numbers, but if there were so many of them on Antiga Prime, that they easily covered the whole surface of the planet, and filled the air... well take a look at our planet - current population of it is over 6 bilions, and we certainly wouldn't be able to cover the whole Earth with our bodies, just as the Zerg did with Antiga Prime. Even including wild animals.
So if 6 bilions isn't enough at all... we may assume, that there were not millions, not billions, but trillions of those Zerg on Antiga.
And yet another thing - the loss of whole that swarm (because it was incinerated by the Protoss due to their destruction of the planet) meant NOTHING to the Zerg.

but also because they can block off communications and sever warp travel into and out of the planetary system.

So how did people on Dalki Prime send a distress call at all?

Imperial ships have nearly instantly rechargable shields that allow them to reach full power again in nearly no time flat.

So how do the weapons of WH40k penetrate through them, and destroy the armour?

Based on what evidence?

Firstly, based on your own words. When you first said, that shields of Imperial ships may suffer teratons of firepower, and that this kind of firepower is able to destroy continents.
Secondly, based on an assumption. The first nukes, those made due to Manhattan Project (e.g. Little Boy or Fatman), had a firepower of 17-20 megatons. The first thermonuclear bomb, made later, was ten times more powerful, which gives 200 megatons of firepower. Nukes 'used' (fortunately, they are not used literally) are even more powerful, as this branch of science still develops, and we know more effective reactions than we knew in the first half of twentieth century. But even a 200-megaton a-bomb, able to take out entire, even the biggest town easily, is still a toy compared to an a-bomb, delivering teratons of firepower. Because those 200 megatons, are still only a 0,0000002 of one teraton. So an atom bomb, with a firepower of X teratons, should destroy a whole continent easily.

Like in 40k, where there are actually demonstrated feats of teraton to even petaton level firepower in various novels.

It seems, that they like those numbers. And did they even say, on what reaction is it based? Simply more effective a-bomb, or something new, fictional?

Depends on what you are using as the basis of measurement.

The size of the explosion, and effect, that is makes on the environment. Explosion is tiny, and the effect on the environment is... well, there is no such effect at all.

Unlike most warfare, TA resources are theoretically not limited, meaning that they can simultaneously fill the demand for a sufficiently land based force AND a naval force at the same time.

But they can produce X amount of units at one time. And if one side wastes that time for producing useless units, and those useless units go down, the other side is far ahead and gains advantage instantly.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2009 05:57 PM
doan_m

Originally posted by Der_SpeeDer
[B]Hardly. Naming a ship "battlecruiser" or "auxiliary cruiser" does not mean, that they are truly cruisers.

With something like "fuel" on the other hand there is not much room for any other means of ambiguity like that of which could be expected from warships. Besides theres no evidence to suggest that they would actually eject plasma instead of having merely just contained it since all evidence suggest its just fuel.

quote:
Not really. Plasma is also used in cannons of AAV-5 Arclite Siege Tanks, and their successors, Crucio Siege Tanks.

So Siege tanks really shoot hot fire out of its cannons?

You see, its questions like that, that makes the notion that some mysterious fuel converts into plasma absurd.

quote:
Well, I may agree here. The greatest problem for Terran/Zerg/Protoss is fighting Imperial Navy, because land forces are not that powerful.

I did point out several instances of 40k ground based firepower being superior did I not?

quote:
Thought it is a division of Imperial Guard.

Its not. PDFs are strictly localized to immediate planetary defense and are not directly run by the Imperium. They do however still rely on them for support for weapons and supplies.

quote:
Yeah, but not all of those vehicles are so devastating.
Relative to 40k. So thats not surprising.

Sentinels and Hellhouds have considerable firepower, but are futile and don't have really good armor [/QUOTE] They are lower common denominator of armor so as I usually say "thats hardly surprising"

quote:
(at least they are destroyed very easily in DoW, even if you don't have much heavy weaponry).

What did I say about game mechanics again?

quote:
Only Leman Russ is truly resistant and can suffer massive damage.

Resistant enough that it could take easily take on the kind of firepower thats described as a 155mm rapid fire railgun without any hitches.
quote:
Well, there are Baneblades, too, but how many are there of them per regiment?

It depends on the fight. If a Baneblade is needed on a planet then the planet has surely gone to hell(sometimes literally).

quote:
And why wouldn't we? Air strikes would be enough?

By the time you are using Nukes, you are essentially conceding technologically superiority since your best answer would be some of the heaviest firepower conceivable to man. We don't do it with inferiors and we only threaten to use it against those of technological parity.

quote:

I'm talking only about the Kroot, not Kroot-Tau alliance.

Most not in the Tau-Kroot alliance are mercenaries out for hire. So I can hardly see why there would be any intent in the first place to actually go out of our way to try to kill them.

quote:
Guys, that consume the flesh of their fallen enemies, and dwell in houses made of animal hides, are kinda wild not only in WH40k.
They live in spaceships you know. There called warspheres.

quote:
In that you can use lockdown on an armoured vehicle, and destroy it with a weapon designed for killing infantry, before it regains ability to move.

I'm asking for hard numbers. What in seconds or minutes have the effects of lockdown been shown to be? And how can you be sure that it would penetrate the armor in the first place? Most bolter rounds(the same kind that have the equivalent firepower of RPG rounds) have been shown to bounce off the armor of most 40k vehicles as if it was nothing but the rain.

quote:

Who won't see the Ghosts due to their psychic inhibitors?

I can't see how a device designed to limit the ghost abilities is even relevant.

quote:
The Zerg normally do it, too. They use the local living organisms as a genetic material or meat for the larvae.

At the same rate and process that the Tyranids do? For that matter, the same amount of mass per planet or perhaps the equivalent of? Not all means of consumption are built equal you know.

quote:

But the Tyranids do not always win, do they? So how is it, that one time they adapt so quickly, that even lances can't harm them, and another time they get their asses kicked?

Because Hive Fleets are separate from each other. The only ones who would evolve with such immediacy are the ones who would actually be immediately present in the situation to be forced to adapt such means.

quote:
Are those miracles with adaptation to the level mentioned above single cases?

quote:
Maybe.
Don't forget the fact, that the Zerg quickly incorporate the genes of other lifeforms into their fold. Should they engage the Tyranid, it is highly possible, that they would soon also have new breeds of units, with such inpenetrable armour.
This is of course making the assumption that it would be able to annihilate said multi-kilometer bioship in the first place. Which travels in massive swarms of thousands of ships.

quote:

I'm not so sure about that milions. I just don't know any official info of their numbers, but if there were so many of them on Antiga Prime, that they easily covered the whole surface of the planet, and filled the air...

Covered the whole surface of the planet is open to interpretation. One of them not being that it was literally blanketed with Zerg. It could very well simply mean that it had a sufficient presence to drive out the inhabitants from their relevant homes to the point where the coverage was sufficient enough that there was little refuge. A far cry from literally covering the whole planet. Now if you have direct quotes for clarifications sake then all the better.

quote:
So if 6 bilions isn't enough at all... we may assume, that there were not millions, not billions, but trillions of those Zerg on Antiga.

Again, this is making the presumption that it had to have literally blanketed the entire planet as opposed to just having a sizable presence that drove out the inhabitants. I also seriously doubt that the Zerg would even densely group themselves like that if they even did blanket an entire planet.

quote:
And yet another thing - the loss of whole that swarm (because it was incinerated by the Protoss due to their destruction of the planet) meant NOTHING to the Zerg.

I seriously doubt that. When the Tiamat Brood was considered to be the strongest around, the strength size was considered to be around 6,500,000. A loss of trillions, assuming those kinds of numbers would exist in single broods would be potentially devestating considering those numbers.

quote:

So how did people on Dalki Prime send a distress call at all?

Because the Shadow of the Warp was thrown up after the distress call was sent?

quote:

So how do the weapons of WH40k penetrate through them, and destroy the armour?

With an even greater crapload of concentrated firepower than Starcraft would concieve of ever using at once.

quote:

Firstly, based on your own words. When you first said, that shields of Imperial ships may suffer teratons of firepower, and that this kind of firepower is able to destroy continents.

Destruction of continents is not the same as the destruction of a planet. Its greater magnitudes of less firepower.

quote:
Secondly, based on an assumption. The first nukes, those made due to Manhattan Project (e.g. Little Boy or Fatman), had a firepower of 17-20 megatons.

17-20 megatons?!?!?!?!?! Megatons?!?!? Who told you that?!?!? THe Little Boy and the Fatman ranged significantly smaller at 15-20 kilotons.

quote:

The first thermonuclear bomb, made later, was ten times more powerful, which gives 200 megatons of firepower.

Who tells you this stuff?!?!?! I don't even think we have anything in the worlds nuclear arsenal that would be at 200 megatons of firepower let alone 50.
quote:

But even a 200-megaton a-bomb, able to take out entire, even the biggest town easily, is still a toy compared to an a-bomb, delivering teratons of firepower. Because those 200 megatons, are still only a 0,0000002 of one teraton. So an atom bomb, with a firepower of X teratons, should destroy a whole continent easily.

But how does this address my question that Teraton level firepower would be sufficient to destroy a planet? Glass it sure,but not destroy it. And seriously? Who told you that we even stockpile 200 megaton warheads to begin with?!?!

quote:
It seems, that they like those numbers. And did they even say, on what reaction is it based? Simply more effective a-bomb, or something new, fictional?
They don't outright use those numbers. However the events that do take place in the novels coupled along with sufficient analysis from those better then me have revealed that such magnitude of firepower is well within the norms of Imperium battleships.

quote:

The size of the explosion, and effect, that is makes on the environment. Explosion is tiny, and the effect on the environment is... well, there is no such effect at all.
Are you still using game mechanics?

quote:

But they can produce X amount of units at one time. And if one side wastes that time for producing useless units, and those useless units go down, the other side is far ahead and gains advantage instantly.

Which is merely a limitation of the commanders cognitive abilities. Nothing more.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2009 01:08 AM
Der_SpeeDer

So Siege tanks really shoot hot fire out of its cannons?

No.

I did point out several instances of 40k ground based firepower being superior did I not?

How? If you have no single info about what is the level of firepower delivered by Siege Tanks, so how would you compare tanks of WH40k to them? The tanks owned by Space Marines are told to sustain the gigajoules of energy - so, why Siege Tanks shouldn't deliver firepower of that level? Because Blizzard said nothing about it.

What did I say about game mechanics again?

Game mechanics are still based on the world's lore in certain stage, aren't they?

Most not in the Tau-Kroot alliance are mercenaries out for hire. So I can hardly see why there would be any intent in the first place to actually go out of our way to try to kill them.

Remember, what I said?
I was talking about Kroot primitiveness, not about the other races. And to show this primitiveness, I tried to imagine, how would their invasion on the Earth look like. So why are you now involving other races?

They live in spaceships you know. There called warspheres.

Not all of them.

I'm asking for hard numbers. What in seconds or minutes have the effects of lockdown been shown to be?

There were no numbers, and that's the point. How you can be sure, that the effect isn't long enough?
Just like that instance with the firepower that Predators or Leman Russes can take.

And how can you be sure that it would penetrate the armor in the first place?

It's not the question of armour.

I can't see how a device designed to limit the ghost abilities is even relevant.

They are not designed to limit the Ghost abilities. They are used to "lock" the access to the Ghost's mind. Kerrigan said that in Liberty's Crusade.

This is of course making the assumption that it would be able to annihilate said multi-kilometer bioship in the first place. Which travels in massive swarms of thousands of ships.

Tyranid bio-weaponry is also a trait based on genes, that can be incorporated by the Zerg too, you know.

Covered the whole surface of the planet is open to interpretation. One of them not being that it was literally blanketed with Zerg.

In Liberty's Crusade it was. Antiga Prime was seen on the screen on Hyperion's deck, when Mengsk watched, how it was overrun by the Zerg, represented by small red triangles. When the invasion was over, whole planet was red. Completely. And there were no human units - everything was slaughtered.

I seriously doubt that.

And I don't. Because they lost those billions of the Zerg, and were still easily able to unleash next billions (or even trillions, as Mengsk used more than one Psi Emmiter) on Tarsonis. And their advancement in Koprulu sector didn't slow down at all, despite massive losses.

When the Tiamat Brood was considered to be the strongest around, the strength size was considered to be around 6,500,000

Now, where did you get that info? There are more soldiers on our old planet Earth, in sad reality of today, than that.

Because the Shadow of the Warp was thrown up after the distress call was sent?

And it took one hundred days for the Imperial Navy to arrive? Well, they're having great time there. Even those Terrans could come and bomb the whole planet with nukes.

17-20 megatons?!?!?!?!?! Megatons?!?!?

My mistake. Yeah, those were kilotons. I converted those numbers incorrectly.

Who told you that?!?!?

Wołoszański. In some way.
He "told" me, that when they made that test nuke explosion ("Trinity"), it came out, that the power of blow reached the level of 17 - 20 thousand tons of trotile. Which shocked everybody, as general Leslie Groves thought it would be only 100-500 tons of trotile, and when Oppenheimer stated that it would be a few thousand tons, they disbelieved him.

But how does this address my question that Teraton level firepower would be sufficient to destroy a planet?

Single shot - of course not. But if you fire a number of shots, they may turn planet into dust. It is also still based on what kind of weapon it is. Yamato Cannon is basically a particle beam, so it could have more penetration ability, than traditional warhead.

Are you still using game mechanics?

And intro?
So what should I use in case of TA? Fanfic?
The idea of 1 kiloton projectiles, that are being shot in tens of hundreds, and show absolutely no signs, that they are really that powerful, is bullshit - especially as it came out, that I was wrong all the time about those kilotons (and thus, those bombs of WWII, that caused local earthquakes when they exploded, had a firepower of 0,005 kilotons). They can consider it canon, because its their world and fiction after all, and I may accept it, but if they told me to believe it, it would offend my intelligence.

Which is merely a limitation of the commanders cognitive abilities. Nothing more.

Yeah, sure. You're wasting time, producing next battleships, and suddenly you realize, that enemies are already shooting at your commander, because all previously built ships are down, and there is nothing to protect him (commander) from enemy fire. What then?

Last edited by Der_SpeeDer on Nov 15th, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Old Post Nov 15th, 2009 12:34 PM
doan_m

Originally posted by Der_SpeeDer
No.

Again. its questions like that, that makes the notion that some mysterious fuel converts into plasma absurd.

quote:

How? If you have no single info about what is the level of firepower delivered by Siege Tanks, so how would you compare tanks of WH40k to them? The tanks owned by Space Marines are told to sustain the gigajoules of energy - so, why Siege Tanks shouldn't deliver firepower of that level? Because Blizzard said nothing about it.

Yeah. Because apparently a lack of evidence is sufficient to cast reasonable doubt that 40k would have superior firepower. Absence of proof is not proof of absence. And I would hardly use a siege tank as a measure of basis of the possibility of superior firepower when i've cited several different aspects of 40k with such a thing.

quote:

Game mechanics are still based on the world's lore in certain stage, aren't they?
They are representation's of the game subject to the next and upcoming patch. And taking Game mechanics to face value is for all sakes and purposes: awful. Because had we actually did take such things to face value, Then a sufficient level of marine gunfire can bring down a battlecruiser, A siege tanks engagment ranges are so well within the line of site that you could hear your target shouting at you, and carriers don't hover more then several meters off of the ground despite the fact that none of these are actually really the case in the actual canon itself.

quote:

Remember, what I said?
I was talking about Kroot primitiveness, not about the other races. And to show this primitiveness, I tried to imagine, how would their invasion on the Earth look like. So why are you now involving other races?

A silly thing to do no doubt, because of what the Kroot are. Which are mercenaries. You don't try to imagine what an Inquisitoral retinue(being the small band of 5 people+1 inquisitor) invasion of earth would look like because that wouldn't be there intent.

quote:

Not all of them.

It will be the most relevant and attackable thing since its pretty much forward of its colonies.

quote:
There were no numbers, and that's the point. How you can be sure, that the effect isn't long enough?
Again, absence of proof is not proof of absence.

quote:
Just like that instance with the firepower that Predators or Leman Russes can take.

Except that one is quantifiable because it gives a good basis of reasoning that allows people to attach numbers based on reasonable evidence to it.

quote:

It's not the question of armour.

It was when you made the claim that using Infantry killing weapons would be used to destroy locked down armor.

quote:
They are not designed to limit the Ghost abilities. They are used to "lock" the access to the Ghost's mind. Kerrigan said that in Liberty's Crusade.

Relevant quote in question:

[QUOTE="Liberty's Crusade"]“It’s the other way around,” said Kerrigan, a taste of bitterness in her voice. “The inhibitors also keep
your nasty little thoughts out ofmy mind. It’s tough when you know everyone around you is untrustworthy
at some level.” She looked hard at Mike, her green eyes flashing. [/QUOTE]
No evidence here indicates that this inhibitor would protect her from psychic detection. What it does strongly imply however is that Ghost tend to intake a crapload of surface thoughts from people to the point that they are required to have said inhibitor because otherwise she wouldn't function as well.

quote:

Tyranid bio-weaponry is also a trait based on genes, that can be incorporated by the Zerg too, you know.
And how does that make them capable of bringing down hive ships in the first place?

quote:

In Liberty's Crusade it was. Antiga Prime was seen on the screen on Hyperion's deck, when Mengsk watched, how it was overrun by the Zerg, represented by small red triangles. When the invasion was over, whole planet was red. Completely. And there were no human units - everything was slaughtered.
I'm going to pull quotes from the novel again:

[QUOTE="Liberty's Crusade"]
All the screens but the main one had been turned off, and the last screen showed a real-time display of
Antiga Prime, hovering at the center. Small yellow triangles represented Confederate forces, red triangles
the ever-multiplying Zerg. A few blue-white pips that Mike had never seen before were on the surface.
There were also a few circles planetside: rebel forces that had been unfortunate not to have escaped in
time. As Mike watched, they were subsumed in a wave of red triangles.[/QUOTE]
So here is likely the relevant event of Antiga Prime in question with the red triangles representing the Zerg. It doesn't establish as to how many zerg represents a single triangle beyond someone mentioning that a single triangle in some cases represent hundreds of mutalisk flyers.

And also:

[QUOTE="Liberty's Crusade"]On the main screen, Antiga was nearly covered with red
triangles, and a perimeter of blue triangles was in orbit around it. There were no yellow triangles left.[/QUOTE] So Antiga was apparently nearly covered with red as opposed to outright blanketed. Again no evidence as to how closely knitted the triangles were to each other or for that matter, the size of the triangles themselves.

Now do you see why its so up to interpretation? There is no relative size of the triangles itself to speak of that could actually allow any reasonable interpretation beyond, sufficient size to overwhelm the few opposing forces that were on the ground at the time.

quote:

And I don't. Because they lost those billions of the Zerg, and were still easily able to unleash next billions (or even trillions, as Mengsk used more than one Psi Emmiter) on Tarsonis. And their advancement in Koprulu sector didn't slow down at all, despite massive losses.
This is of course making the presumption that there were indeed billions to even trillions of zerg on Antiga Prime in the first place.

quote:

Now, where did you get that info? There are more soldiers on our old planet Earth, in sad reality of today, than that.

For the sake of all fairness that was a single brood.

quote:

And it took one hundred days for the Imperial Navy to arrive? Well, they're having great time there. Even those Terrans could come and bomb the whole planet with nukes.
Remember what I said about the Tyranids screwing around with Warp Travel around the relevant area? Thats what the shadow of the warp does. It fraks around with the capacity for anyone to travel out or into the planet thereby cutting it off from reinforcements. Anyone who usually does try to get in usually find the warp that they travel in to be so violent that the travel time is signficantly delayed or outright halted in some instances.

quote:

Wołoszański. In some way.
He "told" me, that when they made that test nuke explosion ("Trinity"), it came out, that the power of blow reached the level of 17 - 20 thousand tons of trotile.

Yeah but did he tell you that the level of firepower was in the megaton range for the Trinity nuke?

quote:
Single shot - of course not. But if you fire a number of shots, they may turn planet into dust.

Direct energy transfers don't work like that. If it did indeed turn the planet to dust, then the amount of energy required to be deposited into the planet would be magnitudes above teratons and would certainly be in the realm of at least yottatons.
quote:

It is also still based on what kind of weapon it is. Yamato Cannon is basically a particle beam, so it could have more penetration ability, than traditional warhead.

If it was capable of that then the amount of energy would be well above teratons like mentioned above.

quote:
And intro?
So what should I use in case of TA? Fanfic?

Considering that, that is the stated canon(again as ridiculous as it is) then yeah.

quote:

The idea of 1 kiloton projectiles, that are being shot in tens of hundreds, and show absolutely no signs, that they are really that powerful, is bullshit - especially as it came out, that I was wrong all the time about those kilotons (and thus, those bombs of WWII, that caused local earthquakes when they exploded, had a firepower of 0,005 kilotons). They can consider it canon, because its their world and fiction after all, and I may accept it, but if they told me to believe it, it would offend my intelligence.

When you have crap like mountain sized trees in fanfic, and it being burned off by peewee firepower then it gets really interesting.

quote:

Yeah, sure. You're wasting time, producing next battleships, and suddenly you realize, that enemies are already shooting at your commander, because all previously built ships are down, and there is nothing to protect him (commander) from enemy fire. What then?

This would be making the presumption that they would not replenish there numbers quickly enough and that the battleships in question would come unsupported with other assets to back it up. And of course that it would rely on battleships to that extent that annihilating it would for some reason, lead to its demise despite the fact that they also build ground assets inland as well.

Old Post Nov 15th, 2009 03:30 PM