KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?

Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Legitimate 3 23.08%
Cult 10 76.92%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jehovah's Witnesses - Legitimate Religion or Extremist Cult?
Started by: Mithlond

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Well, you are not showing them love. wink

YOU ATTACK EVERYONE!

You are very vocal but your comments are unfounded. How have I not shown Jehovah's Witnesses love? If you are going to be accusatory (and this is your modus operandi) then substantiate your claim that I have attacked this person.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:05 PM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

His comments are completely founded.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:08 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
You are very vocal but your comments are unfounded. How have I not shown Jehovah's Witnesses love? If you are going to be accusatory (and this is your modus operandi) then substantiate your claim that I have attacked this person.

So, you are not aware of the hate you post? I forgive you then.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:22 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Alliance
Don't most religions have cults? or at least cultish aspects to them?

I'd even go as far to say they are all cults.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:24 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I'd even go as far to say they are all cults.

Or all religions, doesn't make much difference in that case. But I agree.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:25 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, you are not aware of the hate you post? I forgive you then.

You still have not defined or substantiated your accusatory claims that you direct at me regularly. If I post a Bible excerpt you call it lies. Then you say that I am spreading lies. I post someone's personal near-death experience and you falsely accuse me of "attacking" that person. I have done nothing of the sort. Why do you do and say these things about me falsely?

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:26 PM
JesusIsAlive is currently offline Click here to Send JesusIsAlive a Private Message Find more posts by JesusIsAlive Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RocasAtoll

Could you post the quote for when Shak supposedly called you out for attacking a person who had a near-death experience?

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:28 PM
RocasAtoll is currently offline Click here to Send RocasAtoll a Private Message Find more posts by RocasAtoll Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

You still have not defined or substantiated your accusatory claims that you direct at me regularly. If I post a Bible excerpt you call it lies. Then you say that I am spreading lies. I post someone's personal near-death experience and you falsely accuse me of "attacking" that person. I have done nothing of the sort. Why do you do and say these things about me falsely?

You're posts speak for themselves.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:30 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

So, now you are attacking other Christians.

Here is Shak's false, unfounded accusation just like all of his other ones are. Shak. you have yet to substantiate your charge that I am attacking Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:31 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Here is Shak's false, unfounded accusation just like all of his other ones are. Shak. you have yet to substantiate your charge that I am attacking Jehovah's Witnesses.

quote:
Ex-Jehovah Witness Learns the Witnesses lie about our Spirit Bodies

I know you did not write the article, but did you read it.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:35 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

This is rediculous....all your posts are unfounded, biased, and nonsensical accusations. NO ONE is going to defend you.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:37 PM
BananaKing
Your soul.

Originally posted by Mithlond
CULT

a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4a. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
b. followers of such a regimen
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

I guess I'm thinking along no4 here, except you could think of 'curing a disease' as 'saving people from damnation' with elements of 1 as in it is seen as extremist and/or false.

Hmmm, sounds alot like atheism to me!

Atheism
1. Worship yourself, nobody really matters unless you was brought up otherwise.
2. A nonscientific method(evolution) or regimen claimed by its originator(Darwin) to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
3. Obsessive(People who get into it seem to get stuck with it)
4. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic interest. (The disliking of religion)
5. usually considered false.

Yep

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:39 PM
BananaKing is currently offline Click here to Send BananaKing a Private Message Find more posts by BananaKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Atheism created by Darwin?

Atheism = worshipping yourself?

Posting obvious nonsense like that is not worthy of any consideration, OGW. More to the point, stick to the topic.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:41 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by O Green World
Hmmm, sounds alot like atheism to me!

Atheism
1. Worship yourself, nobody really matters unless you was brought up otherwise.
2. A nonscientific method(evolution) or regimen claimed by its originator(Darwin) to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
3. Obsessive(People who get into it seem to get stuck with it)
4. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic interest. (The disliking of religion)
5. usually considered false.

Yep

None of these posts are representative of atheism at all.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:42 PM
JesusIsAlive
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know you did not write the article, but did you read it.

Of course I read it...? Now, why did you accuse me of attacking Jehovah's Witness? Shak, the only reason that I am insistent that you explain to me why you have accused me falsely is because I percieve and believer (firmly) that you do this often. But everytime I believe that it is unwarranted. So, I guess I am still waiting for you to justify your insinuation. I will not let you get out of this one this issue needs to be settled and resolved once and for all. I know what an attack is. What I did (and all I did was post someone's personal testimony of a near-death experience) does not constitute and attack. I want to know why you view it as an attack on Jehovah's Witnesses. Why are you running from your own mess? You caused the controversy and now that you are being held accountable you have nothing to say?

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:42 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

JIA, you posted a large article purporting to demonstrate that JWs are perpetuating a lie. By any reasonable definition, that was an anti-JW artcile you posted, and so therefore you did post an attack on Witnesses.

Asking for justification for a stsatement you did that, when the fact that yoiu did is plain for all to see, is a waste of everyone's time. You will have to accept that what you did is reasonably construed as attack.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 15th, 2006 08:45 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RZA
Shaolin Monk

In response to the topic, I would say that yes they are a bit more cultish than the rest, although I agree with popular opinion here that it is a matter of semantics anyway being that all religions are somewhat of a cult, but the major difference with JW being that they're a bit more extremist in their beliefs and in someways forcibly so. Not to mention the fact that it was started by a rich millionaire.

Their ideology is basically if you are not part of their religion and you do not believe what they say you're branded as an outsider and you're forbidden to associate with outsiders. Basically the message is if you do not accept their word as gospel truth you will die on judgement day when the Armageddon comes. Almost like a cleansing if you will. There is no such thing as a heaven or hell when it comes to human beings. It's only salvation and damnation. If you survive you will live in a God made paradise right here on Earth and if you die you just cease to exist period, no belief in souls or spirits but they do believe in angels and demons and satan himself except instead of reigning in Hell he walks among us right here on Earth. No belief in purgatory..etc.

I had a friend who was a JW, they're rules were extremely strict. He was not allowed to make friends or have girlfriends outside his religion. He was not allowed to fornicate or even engage in any behavior that would eventually lead to fornication. He was not allowed to celebrate holidays or even his very own birthday. He was a great guy, real funny too, had a great sense of humor but in the end under pressure from his religious brothers and his family, he ended up choosing his religion over me. I understood, to each his own I suppose. I still kinda miss em to this day. I truly hope he's happy and wish him nothing but the best. Btw, the thing that made him so funny is that among the things I mentioned you were also not allowed to curse, this guy could crack you up without saying a single curse word, that's how funny he was.

As far as the article goes, either this whole story is bogus or that woman doesn't remember her teachings well. JWs believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. They believe in God 'Jehova' and Jesus Christ his son. They do not believe in the so called 'Trinity' ideology of them all being the same person or of Jesus as a God himself, so this part of the article is definitely incorrect and completely untrue.

‘Sorry but I just can’t trust anything that bleeds for about a week and doesn’t die’ My poetry and stuff

Last edited by RZA on Sep 16th, 2006 at 06:53 AM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2006 06:49 AM
RZA is currently offline Click here to Send RZA a Private Message Find more posts by RZA Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Some Jehovah's Witnesses showed up at my door this morning. I was still in bed, so they got me in my boxers and a Steelers jersey I managed to throw on before answering.

Part of me wants to take them in and debate the sh*t out of them sometime when they show up. If nothing else, KMC has helped me with the ability to defend myself on a moment's notice against all sorts of ideas and claims, religious or otherwise. But another part of me knows that I'd end up frustrated and/or annoyed with the whole thing.

Cultish? Sure, probably. But as most have been saying, religions usually inherently possess cultish tendencies. Hell, I was in an active church youth group back in the day, and we jokingly referred to ourselves as a cult. Chances are there was some truth to it.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 16th, 2009 at 04:28 PM

Old Post Sep 16th, 2009 04:21 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

They actually seem a lot more reasonable than most christian sects, from what I understand of their beliefs.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2009 09:28 PM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by King Kandy
They actually seem a lot more reasonable than most christian sects, from what I understand of their beliefs.

...which reminds me: Can somebody Cliff's Note them for me? I'm a former Catholic and am familiar with a few other Christian denominations, but not this one. There's just too many brands of crazy to familiarize myself with them all.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2009 09:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote