KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Why Stormtroopers Suck at Aiming...

Why Stormtroopers Suck at Aiming...
Started by: Captain REX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

the cruiser?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2002 01:12 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

****, I have seen the cruisers I just haven't seen their shields, usualy they flicker when they get hit, but never seen it, only cruisers I've seen are the few 2 I think there are in the battle of endor

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 24th, 2002 01:20 PM
Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ship shields in Star Wars have NEVER been seen to flicker when hit.

And the 'more guns so more hits' logic is bad; the Falcon would be much harder to hit from a fixed platform like a Star Destroyer. The TIEs scored far more hits, but presumably with lower calibre guns. It all evens out.

The Millenium Falcon seemed to be abl to take hits, for sure. Fighters do not; the shields seem to provide only slight protection. But all the computer games have the shields being very strong, hence this unfair perception of TIEs as being crap. I still blame ROTJ.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 25th, 2002 at 10:56 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2002 06:43 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

but WHY???

Old Post Aug 25th, 2002 02:34 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Ush, thank you for the speech. big grin

Well, the video games are supposed to be fun and exciting, not frustrating because your shields are the wimpiest things in the world. That's why Kyle has a shield in Jedi Outcast, although in the Star Wars stuff I've read about personal shielding, it says that it has ill effects, such as scorched skin.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2002 03:17 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You know, I think they should be brave enough to dump the shield in Jedi Knight games. You should do it like a Jedi does and use a sabre for all your protection.

And Rex, there was still plenty of fun to be had in the game TIE Fighter (BRILLIANT game!) flying highly manoeuvrable ships, even though they fell apart in seconds. It was only annoying that your targets did NOT fall apart in seconds! It can be done.

But the whole strong shield fallacy started with the prequel to that game, X-Wing. WHich made the X-Wing miles better than the TIE Fighter just so the players could get high scores, like 30 in one mission (still a classic game, though- even though you couldn;t miss the exhaust port even if you were blind).

Which in turn, I think, goes back to the EU perception that TIEs were crap because they don't have shields, and people were thinking of shields too much in Star Trek terms instead of actually watching the films and seeing how much good those shields did.

Note that no Star Wars fighter combat game has ever had guns that track their target instead of just firing forwards, even though from ANH onwards the guns have always directed themselves (I always assumed those lovely little target displays from ANH were these guns locking on).

People just don't WATCH the things they are making games out of...

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 25th, 2002 11:00 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

hey! the only weapon I use is the lightsabre! well... if I don't have it, it's a gun of course

Old Post Aug 25th, 2002 11:02 AM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

and what if you don't have either one of them?

Old Post Aug 27th, 2002 03:05 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

you always have at least a blaster
but really, only sabres for me, much easier!

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 11:22 AM
Julie
The Student

yes, but not at range.....Someone could shoot you in the back and you wouldn't know what even hit you.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 02:36 PM
yerssot

you're a knight! you have an evil-sensor wink
and you can block those shots and redirect them to the agressor

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 02:38 PM
Julie
The Student

roll eyes (sarcastic) You'd just better hope so or your fried

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 02:39 PM
yerssot

you always have your shield in case you're slow

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 02:40 PM
Julie
The Student

you always have some kind of answer don't you? A lightsaber is a lovely weapon, but don't overrate anything's usefulness

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 02:51 PM
yerssot

of course I have, I'm programmed for that

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:12 PM
Julie
The Student

is it your primary function....or just a fluke program wink

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:17 PM
yerssot

primary function, Raz programmed me to boost the postcount here

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:22 PM
Julie
The Student

Well he did quite a commendable job at that roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:23 PM
yerssot

well, yes, he was quite pleased, till I went "out of control" according to him

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:23 PM
Fire

well a lightsabre imo is the most awesome weapon ever invented

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Aug 28th, 2002 03:25 PM
Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote