KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » fingolfin the "godlike fighter"

fingolfin the "godlike fighter"
Started by: vanice

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Swirly Girl
Antediluvian

It's not like Elvish weapons give you a oMg + 1oo d4m4G3! bonus. They just enable to to resist the Balrog's weapon in combat, instead of having it just split apart.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 11:01 AM
Swirly Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Swirly Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Swirly Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Most weapons does give a damage boost since their magical, nothing to that degree that you said, but it does give a boost. And even though it might not be that much, it still resists their swords (as you said), so they were required to fight Balrogs.

Necessity is the mother of inventions.
(Don't be a pig, get an Icejaw sig.)

Old Post Nov 6th, 2006 06:49 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace Skywalker

But how was Morgoth Destroyed? I do not remember.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2006 10:53 PM
Mace Skywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Mace Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Mace Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

He wasn't, he was captured by Eonwe and the Maiar host. Then he was chained by Aule and is to this day...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 12:19 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Of course one day when the World grows old and the Powers Grow Weary Morgoth will escape his binding and such will bring around the Dagor Dagorath or the Last Battle. It said there that Morgoth will finally be slain upon the Black Blade of Turin Turambar.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 01:11 AM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nellinator
Crazy Canuck

quote: (post)
Originally posted by thefallen544
Of course one day when the World grows old and the Powers Grow Weary Morgoth will escape his binding and such will bring around the Dagor Dagorath or the Last Battle. It said there that Morgoth will finally be slain upon the Black Blade of Turin Turambar.

Ah, I remember the Last Battle now, but where does it say that Morgoth will be slain on the Black Blade of Turin? I don't seem to recall that.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2006 01:10 AM
Nellinator is currently offline Click here to Send Nellinator a Private Message Find more posts by Nellinator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

I think it does mention it somewhere I'm sure of that, it does say that of mortal man upon that day nothing is said save for Turin who is named among the gods. I shall find the passage for you, it just may take a short while.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2006 02:55 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Was the prophecy on Turin mentioned in the Silmarillion? If it is I need to read that again.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 05:26 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hurintar

I think that answer to your question is not an easy one, when you ask people why they think fingolfin is the best swordsman in midle earth is like asking is superman stronger then hulk or is spiderman stronger then batman, there will always be people with diferent ideas.

the fact is that fingolfin fought morgoth and wounded him seven times.
he was borne in valinor and beacouse of that he was stronger in spirit and fizical strenght.
now some of you will not agre with me but I think elfs born in valinor and fought in midle earth thrue hundred of years would get big experience that no human can.
personally I think fingolfin is better fighter then aragon but more then that I would not like to go.

Old Post Jan 4th, 2007 10:44 PM
Hurintar is currently offline Click here to Send Hurintar a Private Message Find more posts by Hurintar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Originally posted by Hurintar
I think that answer to your question is not an easy one, when you ask people why they think fingolfin is the best swordsman in midle earth is like asking is superman stronger then hulk or is spiderman stronger then batman, there will always be people with diferent ideas.

he was borne in valinor and beacouse of that he was stronger in spirit and fizical strenght.
now some of you will not agre with me but I think elfs born in valinor and fought in midle earth thrue hundred of years would get big experience that no human can.
personally I think fingolfin is better fighter then aragon but more then that I would not like to go.

Well the thing is, that it's not really like the "cookbook issue" even though I get your point. Because Tolkien wrote about both fingolfin and all the other people in arda, so it's the same author who obviously had one grand idea. Not four different authors, all of them saying "he's the mightiest guy in the world" or "she's the best".
Comparing heroes from different worlds is hell for sure, but comparing fingolfin with Aragorn (I only took him as an example, it might as well have been Meathos or some other guy) shoudln't be that much of a problem.

I'm not sure about that "valinor elves thing". I sort of don't see why they should mightier then other elves. not physically anyway. The experience fingolfin gained must have been enormous for sure, but there is nothing that says he's more experienced then any other elf at the time. In fact he should be even less experienced in battle, since the weapons were invented during his lifetime. A guy who grew up with the sword should be better handling it then a guy who didn't.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2007 03:43 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

lol sorry meant comic book issue, nor cookbook issue. haha. oh well... :P

sorry for double posting..

Old Post Jan 10th, 2007 09:37 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Typical you Vanice, dumb as hell. (Jkstick out tongue)

Anyway, yeah, I agree, the feats that stand for Fingolfin that most people use to "prove" he is the best is actually not enough to prove he is the best swordsman. Sure, wounding Melkor bad stands tall, if you put it on paper, however, if you clearly describe the whole fight it is not that impressive. He ran around and struck his legs, anyone can swing a sword, doesn't prove jack shit about him being a good swordsman.....

Old Post Jan 11th, 2007 09:55 PM
kamikz is currently offline Click here to Send kamikz a Private Message Find more posts by kamikz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

Hey you! STFU Kamikz.

yeah ur right

Old Post Jan 12th, 2007 07:20 PM
kamikz
A.I.M Mercenary

Käft med dig Vanice! stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 16th, 2007 10:55 PM
nenarye
Iluvatar

Originally posted by Swirly Girl
It's not like Elvish weapons give you a oMg + 1oo d4m4G3! bonus. They just enable to to resist the Balrog's weapon in combat, instead of having it just split apart.

Where does it say this in the movies, books, Silmarillion, Historys of Middle Earth, or the Unfinished Tales?

I suppose you could assume that {and yeah, it's a resonable assumption}, but do you have any proof?

http://z14.************.com/Ultimate_Star_Wars/index.php?act=idx

Old Post Jan 16th, 2007 11:10 PM
nenarye is currently offline Click here to Send nenarye a Private Message Find more posts by nenarye Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tulakhordpwns
?

well Morgoth is the best fighter other than Tulkas, so wounding him 7 times is impressive

Old Post Aug 17th, 2007 01:14 AM
tulakhordpwns is currently offline Click here to Send tulakhordpwns a Private Message Find more posts by tulakhordpwns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lannfear

Fingolfin was the greatest warrior of the elves.....Ingwe was the greatest of the elves

cheers

Old Post May 18th, 2008 02:18 PM
lannfear is currently offline Click here to Send lannfear a Private Message Find more posts by lannfear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pottma01

Originally posted by vanice
Yeah, it was he who made the silmarills. but this is about fingolfin, and it seems like no one can find a reason for why he's so overated.

Isnt that simple in the end? Its Tolkien who tells us in the Sillmarilion that Fingolfin was the strongest Noldor who ever lived. I say strongest, so in sheer strength. Dont have the book here with me to quote the exact words but to me Feanor was the smartest, good with words and in possession of a fiery soul, yes but obviously not the strongest. Where Fingolfin was able to hurt a god, Feanor is defeated by one of the gods creations.

I think that is why he is so 'overrated'. Simply because Tolkien has told us.

Old Post Jun 10th, 2008 01:05 PM
pottma01 is currently offline Click here to Send pottma01 a Private Message Find more posts by pottma01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Fingolfin had to be pretty good even to wound a weakened Morgoth seven times. But Fingolfin I don't see Fingolfin being the best swordsman on Middle-Earth. I actually see Aragon being better then him for Aragon was taught by the Elves.

Aragorn being better than Fingolfin that's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
Fingolfin was considered the strongest, the most valiant and the best fighter among the sons of Finwe and that already puts him above Aragorn.
These dudes have seen the light of the trees so they have freaking spiritual power. They can face Balrogs while Aragorn can't land a hit.
Glorfindel showed himself to be much more powerful than Aragorn in the LOTR and Glorfindel wouldn't have any chance against Fingolfin.
Ecthelion killed the Lord of the Balrogs.
Nobody in the third age can compete with the Noldor of the first age period.
Aragorn even among men would be a regular warrior of the first age, for example compare him with Turin or Hurin, Beren...

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2014 02:35 AM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
themadsurfer

Originally posted by Hurintar

Fingolfin was for sure on pair with Hurin or Turin and these guys would stomp Aragorn like he was an orc.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2014 02:40 AM
themadsurfer is currently offline Click here to Send themadsurfer a Private Message Find more posts by themadsurfer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote