KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why atheism?

Why atheism?
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Before the concept of “The One True God”, he had to prove to the people that he existed by doing miracles and talking to people directly, before that people believed in all sorts of Gods and spirits.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:47 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ThePittman
Religion and the belief in God go hand and hand, trying to separate them is not possible. It is the religion that says what God is and the rules to follow, it’s like the chicken and the egg and which came first.

The denial of the possibility of God can also go both ways, who to say that someone that believes can’t have the possibility that God doesn’t exist and what they have believed all their life is false. Most Atheists that I know would believe if shown some type of real proof that he exists and I’ve never seen anything of such. It would be hard pressed to show this evidence because of the twisted nature of some believers and twisting logic and facts to suit their purpose so it would have to be more irrefutable proof.
I disagree. I think that belief in the existence of God is the impetus for religion, religion is not necessary for the belief in God.

As to the nature of proof, I realize such is impossible. All the same, the evidence believed to contradict the existence of a God is also the evidence many hold as to the evidence supporting the existence of a God.

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:51 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Originally posted by Alliance
Thats right. Remeber, burden of proof is on those people of religion. There is no natural reason why god should exist or even thought to exist. God is an unnatural concept. The default positon should be atheism, but because of the pervasiveness of religion in socities...people view the situation the other way.

Disbelief seems to be the default position. No one is born having a belief. Beliefs are acquired through culture and education.

And why does the theist disbelieve in all other gods except for the one or few in their belief system?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:51 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Because they are taught so. Alternative beliefs, fomr my experiences...come later in life through outside influences.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:53 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Thats right. Remeber, burden of proof is on those people of religion. There is no natural reason why god should exist or even thought to exist. God is an unnatural concept. The default positon should be atheism, but because of the pervasiveness of religion in socities...people view the situation the other way.
I think the default position should be neutral, not theist or atheist. Disbelief and belief are polar opposites that should not be a default.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:56 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

Originally posted by Regret
The majority of them deny the possibility, but yes I see what you mean, none of them would make an absolute statement to God's nonexistence. They cite typical responses that diminish the probability of such an entity. They are well educated people, and their rationale

I would agree that there is a possibility that God does not exist. Perhaps all stances are agnostic with varying degrees. And pure atheism and pure theism are merely points along this agnostic continuum. Perhaps without evidence to either stance, true theism and atheism are impossible.

True athiesm and theism are rationally impossible positions to maintain... But there are people that will follow them irrationally.

I disagree, however, that they are points on an agnostic continuum. A part of agnosticism is a belief that the entire discussion is one that is irrelevant to life, since God doesn't seem to actually do much. I suppose athiests could hold this position, but theists would be hard-pressed to do so.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 08:58 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I think the default position should be neutral, not theist or atheist. Disbelief and belief are polar opposites that should not be a default.

No. This is what I'm referring to. YOu don't wake up in the morning expecting the natural laws to be redefined, or for the sky to be made of candy canes.

Why do you afford that priveledge to a god?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:06 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Trickster
True athiesm and theism are rationally impossible positions to maintain... But there are people that will follow them irrationally.

I disagree, however, that they are points on an agnostic continuum. A part of agnosticism is a belief that the entire discussion is one that is irrelevant to life, since God doesn't seem to actually do much. I suppose athiests could hold this position, but theists would be hard-pressed to do so.
My definition, and what I consider to be the accurate definition, is: one who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. I am not speaking of groups that hold beliefs outside this. I also believe you are referring to ignosticism, not to agnosticism.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:07 PM
Regret
One Among Many

No. This is what I'm referring to. YOu don't wake up in the morning expecting the natural laws to be redefined, or for the sky to be made of candy canes.

Why do you afford that priveledge to a god?
You are not born with any understanding as to the natural laws, they are learned. Belief or disbelief in God at this point does not contradict prior knowledge. It is only indoctrination that makes belief more or less possible.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:09 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I am not misinterpreting. I am speaking to the absolute denial, and I know many absolute atheists. In my experience, atheists I have met tend towards the absolute, or true, atheist position. I would classify you as borderline atheist, as your view is agnostic with a more rational stance on the subject causing your position to be much closer to atheism than to theism, imo.

It might have been easier if you specified you were talking to Strong rather than Weak atheists.

And Strong atheists- assuming they are intelligent- base their ideas on their interpretation of facts and evidence, not assumption.

And no, his position is not agnostic. It is atheist. You must be clear on the strong/weak atheist distinction, and how a weak atheist is very much NOT an agnostic.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:10 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

No. Its is impossible for everyone to know. Please answer my question before I have any further discussion on this matter.

Can you personally deny the probability that a god does not exist?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:10 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It might have been easier if you specified you were talking to Strong rather than Weak atheists.

And Strong atheists- assuming they are intelligent- base their ideas on their interpretation of facts and evidence, not assumption.

And no, his position is not agnositc. it is atheist. You must be clear on the strong/weak atheist distinction, and how a weak atheist is very much NOT an agnostic.
Probably I should have, although, in comments by non-Christians in reference to Christians, such distinctions are not often afforded. If one expects similar care in reference the same consideration should be given. I will attempt to reference and specify more accurately in the future, but it may be difficult as this distinction is a new concept for me.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:14 PM
Regret
One Among Many

No. Its is impossible for everyone to know. Please answer my question before I have any further discussion on this matter.
Can you personally deny the probability that a god does not exist?
I would agree that there is a possibility that God does not exist. Perhaps all stances are agnostic with varying degrees. And pure atheism and pure theism are merely points along this agnostic continuum. Perhaps without evidence to either stance, true theism and atheism are impossible.

Sorry, does this not answer your question?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:18 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, well, I shall clarify, as I did recently in a thread around the same area.

An agnostic looks at the evidence and says that he/she is not sure, on balance, if there is a God or not.

An atheist looks at the evidence and says- there is no God.

But the storng and weak atheist has a different reasoning.

A weak atheist (it sounds perjorative, but it is not meant to be; it is just as avalid a position as strong) reasons that there is no evidence for God, and that if he did exist it would be reasonable for there to be some, and that regardless, in the rational world we live in that we base our lives upon, it is not reasonable to think something exists when there is no evidence for it. Therefore, he does not think there is a God any more than he thinks there is a tooth fairy.

A strong atheist looks at the evidence and says that the evidence actively proves that there either a. is no God or b. CANNOT be a God. The reasoning for this is many and varied.

Strong atheism can also be a philosophical position- i.e. "I can't actually prove there isn't, but I am absolutely certain there is no God based on my own understanding of the Universe", which is probably where Shaky is coming from.

So, to sum up-

A weak atheist does not think there is a God

A strong atheist thinks there is no God.

Important distinction. Push most atheists and I think you will find they are weak rather than strong; no shame to them either.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:20 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Noble Strong
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:20 PM
Noble Strong is currently offline Click here to Send Noble Strong a Private Message Find more posts by Noble Strong Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Sorry, does this not answer your question? [/QUOTE]

Sorry, I missed that embarrasment.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:26 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

An agnostic looks at the evidence and says that he/she is not sure, on balance, if there is a God or not.

A weak atheist (it sounds perjorative, but it is not meant to be; it is just as avalid a position as strong) reasons that there is no evidence for God, and that if he did exist it would be reasonable for there to be some, and that regardless, in the rational world we live in that we base our lives upon, it is not reasonable to think something exists when there is no evidence for it. Therefore, he does not think there is a God any more than he thinks there is a tooth fairy.

A strong atheist looks at the evidence and says that the evidence actively proves that there either a. is no God or b. CANNOT be a God. The reasoning for this is many and varied.

Strong atheism can also be a philosophical position- i.e. "I can't actually prove there isn't, but I am absolutely certain there is no God based on my own understanding of the Universe", which is probably where Shaky is coming from.

So, to sum up-

Important distinction. Push most atheists and I think you will find they are weak rather than strong; no shame to them either.

And I'm going to reject that Ush. Sorry, but there can't be such a thing as a weak atheist. Either you are or you aren't. Unless the word Atheist has taken a complete direction in the 21th century then I don't accep it. The very word Atheist comes from the greek word atheos which translated means "'without gods". So if a person is down to earth who lives rejecting gods by all means he/she is an Atheist. These weak atheist you speaking of are either clueless people who aren't sure what to accept or just plain confused. Because you either believe or don't believe.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:30 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, I am going to have to reject your rejection, WD, on the grounds it is inept.

I really don't see what you are saying there. Weak and Strong are just two different justifications for atheism, and to say a weak atheist is clueless just because he holds the position that it is not reasonable to think something exists if there is no evidence for it... is pretty silly, to be honest. It is a very credible view. Most people don't believe something until it is proven.

Weak and strong alike are both atheists, and both fit the definition of the word. They both 'are'. VERY confused by your post, to be honest. And both views DO exist, so to reject them is rather arrogant.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Oct 3rd, 2006 at 09:34 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:32 PM
Regret
One Among Many

So, to sum up-

Thanks for the definitions, I can understand these stances, although I think the use of the terms "theist" and "atheist" are too extreme for proper usage without such qualifiers.

As to Christianity, Mormons are Christians in our own beliefs, and if one is using the actual definition of the term. Given this, the use of the term Christian as frequently used is often in error when referring to some Christian concepts. I have taken to using the term "mainstream" to preface comments regarding the majority of Christianity's beliefs. Mormon beliefs are often so alien to mainstream Christianity that we are not viewed as Christian by mainstream Christians. Regardless of this, we believe in the Bible and live our interpretation of its teachings, and so are often lumped in with mainstream Christianity when comments are made concerning beliefs.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:33 PM
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry, does this not answer your question? [/B][/QUOTE] Sorry but you are wrong.
Theism = belief in god
Atheism = disbelief in god

Just because something can't be proven scientifically, doesn't mean it can't be believable.

The problem I have about atheism is that not many theists understand why people are atheist. Most of them are people who haven't been taught religion, or raised to support one.

Having that said, atheism is not the belief that there is no god, it is the abscence of belief of god. Atheists aren't people who decide they're not going to believe in god. Although some have made that decision, most of those "atheists" still think about if there is a god. True atheists never do that, by definition.

you fundamentalists have to remember that Atheism is not a religion, atheist parents don't go to their children, "Do not believe in god." No. They don't mention god. Most atheists haven't even heard the theory of Creationism. I know because most of my school is atheist. (Well, all the children are.) All children start off atheist because they have no knowledge of the theory of god. Religion is something that's forced upon minors to keep people inline and follow a bunch of rules that were made to stop problems in the middle east (and the continent of india) over 2,000 years ago. Yeah. So if you think Atheism is blind, think about what religion most religions are. The words "out of date" come to mind.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2006 09:34 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote