KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why atheism?

Why atheism?
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mark Question
Lurker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by debbiejo
I don't know if I agree with that, because young children see magic all around them.

To an extent we are, but we are not bound to be Atheist. I was refering more towards "tabula rasa" that every child starts with a "clean slate," and chooses their own preferances through experience. Some good'ol Aristotle, John Locke theories...

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 08:32 PM
Mark Question is currently offline Click here to Send Mark Question a Private Message Find more posts by Mark Question Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know if I agree with that, because young children see magic all around them.
huh

Interseting, you say young children see magic, but children don't know god. Maybe magic is more true than god!

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 09:58 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Children are basically clay and can be molded to believe what ever you tell them until they get information to question the source.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 10:01 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

I don't think it is magic... it is the learning process where one encounters a mass of data and input with out any sort of understanding on what it means. Wondrous, but not magical.

Much like a "primitive" society might see magic in the guns and armor of explorers - it is merely a way of viewing things until the necessary knowledge is acquired to understand.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2006 11:51 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Children think they see magic all around them. As Imperial Samura alluded to, "magical thinking" is a phase of cognitive development we all go through as young children, and human beings went through, as a species, early in our evolutionary history.

This is not to say that some genuine psychic/astral experiences may not be happening (though conclusive proof of that has yet to be noted). But magical thinking (which includes wishing / wish fulfillment) is basically an unclear/partial differentiation of the inner world from the outer.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 11:20 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Alliance
There is no natural reason why god should exist or even thought to exist. God is an unnatural concept.

I dont know, if you belive in Aliens how is belief in God illogical? Do bacteria believe in humans? Have you noticed how solar systems seem to be similar to the structure of molecules? I mean if we humans have control over creatures like bacteria logic dictates that there are beings looking down on us.

Last edited by Deadline on Oct 5th, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 11:28 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

Originally posted by Regret
It is evidence for me, firsthand experience is evidence. Now, if I were to present it without tangible evidence, or without the capability to replicate the event, would a rational individual hold it as compelling evidence? Probably not. I do not delude myself into believing that my experiences would necessarily stand as evidence to another.

But what kind of evidence were these ? Was this evidence not empirical you say ?

Last edited by Atlantis001 on Oct 5th, 2006 at 11:43 AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 11:38 AM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Alfheim
I dont know, if you belive in Aliens how is belief in God illogical? Do bacteria believe in humans? Have you noticed how solar systems seem to be similar to the structure of molecules? I mean if we humans have control over creatures like bacteria logic dictates that there are beings looking down on us.

Extremely faulty logic.

The only evidence of other life in the universe is us.

Bacteria don't have a mental capacity...they don't believe in anything.

I wasn't aware that we had detected the molelcular composition of planets in other solar systems messed Dont be foolish. Physics/Chemistry dictate that they should be the same, I would say that they are, but don't make it sound like its been tested.

How do humans control bacteria?

And that does NOT mean by any stretch of the imagination that there are beings looking down on us.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 01:50 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Extremely faulty logic.

The only evidence of other life in the universe is us.

Yes but you know it and I know it aliens should exist. It is not improbable that we may meet aliens in the future. There are alot of things in science that they say we will never discover but we do.

As far as I know scientists belive in other dimensions. It could simply be in this universe we are the most advanced beings.

Bacteria don't have a mental capacity...they don't believe in anything.

Bacteria are alive. An extremely intelligent lifeform could think the same about us.

I wasn't aware that we had detected the molelcular composition of planets in other solar systems messed Dont be foolish. Physics/Chemistry dictate that they should be the same, I would say that they are, but don't make it sound like its been tested.

http://www.terrific-scientific.co.u...tomic_ionic.gif

So that doesnt look anything like a Solar System?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 02:21 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Bacteria are alive. An extremely intelligent lifeform could think the same about us.

Alive yes, intelligent no!

So that doesnt look anything like a Solar System?
Just because something looks like something else doesn’t make it so, my farts are gasses does that mean they are plasma clouds?

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 02:31 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by ThePittman
Alive yes, intelligent no!

That depends on how you look at it. So its improbable for there to be beings that think we are like bacteria.

Just because something looks like something else doesn’t make it so, my farts are gasses does that mean they are plasma clouds?

Yeah but its still gas it doesnt have to be a plasme cloud.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 02:36 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

This schematic resembles, specifically, a Bohr model of the atom, designed for understanding quantum behavior involving electron shells. It is not meant to be a literal depiction of atomic structure.

These days, when physicists do try to visualize what an atom might actually look like, it's more along the lines of a fuzzy, spherical cloud with a teeny, tiny dense dot at its center (the fuzzy cloud representing electron probabilities).

Your thinking--essentially involving scale--is not entirely off the mark. There may well be beings so advanced that Humanity, by comparison, is far beneath their notice (this is one of the answers given for the Fermi Paradox: if aliens are out there, where are they?). But in no way (at least as far as anyone knows) are atoms like miniature solar systems. If nothing else, different physical laws dominate (ie, quantum mechanics vs relativity).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 02:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Mindship

This schematic resembles, specifically, a Bohr model of the atom, designed for understanding quantum behavior involving electron shells. It is not meant to be a literal depiction of atomic structure.

These days, when physicists do try to visualize what an atom might actually look like, it's more along the lines of a fuzzy, spherical cloud with a teeny, tiny dense dot at its center (the fuzzy cloud representing electron probabilities).

Your thinking--essentially involving scale--is not entirely off the mark. There may well be beings so advanced that Humanity, by comparison, is far beneath their notice (this is one of the answers given for the Fermi Paradox: if aliens are out there, where are they?). But in no way (at least as far as anyone knows) are atoms like miniature solar systems. If nothing else, different physical laws dominate (ie, quantum mechanics vs relativity).

Fair enough, but as far as I know scientists also belive in other dimenisons. Since aliens SHOULD exist the likely conclusion is that by a stroke a chance they do not exist in this universe. Another possibility is that they are here already and we are in a matrix situation.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 02:57 PM
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

That depends on how you look at it. So its improbable for there to be beings that think we are like bacteria.
No it's not. They lack any higer brain functions or for that matter a brain.

Intelligence
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:06 PM
Deadline

No it's not. They lack any higer brain functions or for that matter a brain.

Intelligence
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

I understand what you are saying but to an extent its still subjective. As I have said to you before it is possible for there to be intelligent beings who think that we are like bacteria.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:18 PM
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

I understand what you are saying but to an extent its still subjective. As I have said to you before it is possible for there to be intelligent beings who think that we are like bacteria.
May that we have the mental capacity of lower life forms yes, but it doesn’t mean that we can not think, create and learn which bacteria can not. They could look at us like dogs or cats but both of these life forms can think and process information and no single cell organism can do this.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:29 PM
Deadline

May that we have the mental capacity of lower life forms yes, but it doesn’t mean that we can not think, create and learn which bacteria can not.

Well im sorry but highier lifeforms may think the same thing about us. We may think that we are intelligent because we advance in technology, but as far as a highier lifeform is concerned its nothing.

Futhermore:

A Single microbe does not have any intelligence but a colony of microbes may use various communication systems to take joint decisions which show a crude form of intelligence.

Last edited by Deadline on Oct 5th, 2006 at 03:39 PM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:34 PM
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think the difference you're getting at it that bacteria can't conceptualize a more advanced species, but human beings can.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:40 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I think the difference you're getting at it that bacteria can't conceptualize a more advanced species, but human beings can.

No not really. The fact of the matter is bacteria is a primitive form of life. It seems that human beings do have some degree of control over bacteria and if human beings exist it is not illogical for beings that are so advanced they perceive humans as bacteria.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:45 PM
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Well im sorry but highier lifeforms may think the same thing about us. We may think that we are intelligent because we advance in technology, but as far as a highier lifeform is concerned its nothing.

Futhermore:

A Single microbe does not have any intelligence but a colony of microbes may use various communication systems to take joint decisions which show a crude form of intelligence.
You were not talking about multiple bacteria combine to complete more complex tasks but talking about a single cell organism, to break it down all that we are and all life on this planet is single cell organisms’ combining that is a different situation entirely.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:49 PM