KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why atheism?

Why atheism?
Started by: Regret

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ThePittman
You were not talking about multiple bacteria combine to complete more complex tasks but talking about a single cell organism, to break it down all that we are and all life on this planet is single cell organisms’ combining that is a different situation entirely.

Well I was talking about bacteria common sense dictates that does not exclude bacteria in a group. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The fact of the matter is even if bacteria does not show intelligence individually they still show intelligence in a group. Bacteria can be considered to be intelligent.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:53 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Alfheim
Fair enough, but as far as I know scientists also belive in other dimenisons.

Other dimensions/spacetimes do figure prominently in many current theories (eg, unification).

Since aliens SHOULD exist the likely conclusion is that by a stroke a chance they do not exist in this universe. Another possibility is that they are here already and we are in a matrix situation.

Or Men in Black (remember the ending to the first one? eek! )

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Mindship

Or Men in Black (remember the ending to the first one? eek! )

Yeah I know that was crazy!

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:54 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Well I was talking about bacteria common sense dictates that does not exclude bacteria in a group. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The fact of the matter is even if bacteria does not show intelligence individually they still show intelligence in a group. Bacteria can be considered to be intelligent.
No it doesn’t, when you talk a about a human you don’t mean the human race or any other group of animals. Even is a group they show a form or intelligence but not intelligence, just because something can show a behavior of something doesn’t necessarily mean that they posses this.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 03:59 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

No it doesn’t, when you talk a about a human you don’t mean the human race or any other group of animals.

Well I should have elaborated, anyway I do mean bacteria as a group.

Even is a group they show a form or intelligence but not intelligence, just because something can show a behavior of something doesn’t necessarily mean that they posses this.

Well I dont know about that. If bacteria had no intelligence they should not even be able to have intelligence in a group.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 04:06 PM
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

I can’t remember my Biology class that well (been like 16 years) but if I remember right when they do work together they become something else like a super organism which is greater as a whole and not treated as the same.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 04:31 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by Atlantis001
But what kind of evidence were these ? Was this evidence not empirical you say ?
quote:
Empirical

ADJECTIVE:
  1. a. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
    b. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.
  2. Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.
Given this definition, my evidence is relying on or derived from personal observation. If when defining experiment, you include any premeditated act that had assumed a specific type of result, then it could be said that it was an experiment. Using the term practical, yes, my actions were based on, and guided by, previous experience. So, given the definition of empirical the evidence is empirical. Is the evidence such that it is beyond doubt? For me, yes, is it beyond the ability of another, that was not present at the time of the event, to doubt, no. Is the experience replicable? Yes and no, the experience is not adequately controlled as many variables involved (particularly the God aspect) are beyond the scope of any control.

Have I responded adequately to your question?

Robbin' from the rich to give to themselves

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 05:09 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

No it doesn’t, when you talk a about a human you don’t mean the human race or any other group of animals. Even is a group they show a form or intelligence but not intelligence, just because something can show a behavior of something doesn’t necessarily mean that they posses this.
You would need to define intelligence to rule out intelligence in minute organism. Salmonella bacteria compare concentrations of desirable "food" sources at their "head" and "tail". These bacteria will then "follow" a trail of food once found. This, imo, could be defined as intelligence, albeit minuscule in degree compared to any more complex organism.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 05:29 PM
Regret is currently offline Click here to Send Regret a Private Message Find more posts by Regret Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Originally posted by Regret
You would need to define intelligence to rule out intelligence in minute organism. Salmonella bacteria compare concentrations of desirable "food" sources at their "head" and "tail". These bacteria will then "follow" a trail of food once found. This, imo, could be defined as intelligence, albeit minuscule in degree compared to any more complex organism.
That is more instinct and reaction then intelligence.

intelligence
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 05:40 PM
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Why atheism?

Because I felt like it.

When Jesus comes down from heaven and says "Yo, I'm real." and then goes back to heaven, then I will believe with no doubts at all.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 05:52 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

If children were never told about gods and such I do not believe they would be atheists. They would experience things and know that there is something bigger....Possibly they would become Agnostic.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 06:15 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by debbiejo
If children were never told about gods and such I do not believe they would be atheists. They would experience things and know that there is something bigger....Possibly they would become Agnostic.
What? laughing You can't be serious.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 08:12 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Why does there have to be something bigger?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 08:16 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Storm

I think it is a comforting thing.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 08:24 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

I agree

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 08:51 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Regret
One Among Many

That is more instinct and reaction then intelligence.

intelligence
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit.
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.

And, how is such measured?

I apologize to you, but even extremely well versed psychologists have difficulty defining what intelligence is, let alone measuring and quantifying the subject. Your definition is broad and avoids the fact that everything you do is based on the response/consequence relationship of all your actions since your initial response and/or external effect in your mother's womb. It could all be merely instinct and reaction, your perspective is the only thing that states it is otherwise.

Definition 1 - How is such measured? Would you apply the same type of test to the: Blind, Deaf, Maimed, etc.? No, the test is tailored to the subject, so much so that those in black minorities, especially those in ghetto type neighborhoods, are measured and scored differently than other individuals. Thus, an intelligence test of the bacteria must be tailored to the bacteria's capability to respond and "hear".

Definition 2 - Manifestation of high mental capacity. Measurement of this is also tailored to the subject.

Definition 3 - Understanding is observed through some behavior, if I make a trail of "food" and the bacteria follows it, it understands where I want it to go.

Definition 4 - knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted. If I place the trail of "food", and the bacteria follows it, it has shown knowledge received.

Definition 5 is in reference to groups such as CIA.

Bacteria are showing intelligence given the only means by which such a concept can be measured, observation of behavior.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 09:23 PM
Regret
One Among Many

Originally posted by lord xyz
What? laughing You can't be serious.
Given the concept that all religion and concepts are completely man-made, Man is not inherently atheist. An inherently atheist entity would not inherently create religion and accompanying concepts. So, it must be assumed that man is not inherently atheist. This is not logically stating that man is inherently theist, only that man cannot be inherently atheist.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 09:27 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Yes but you know it and I know it aliens should exist. It is not improbable that we may meet aliens in the future. There are alot of things in science that they say we will never discover but we do.

I realize most of these have been answered.

Like what? Intersteller communication is exceedingly unprobable for us...there is a reason sci-fi gets around that by breaking the laws of physics and using strange devices.

As far as I know scientists belive in other dimensions. It could simply be in this universe we are the most advanced beings.

Well, since you apparently know so much about dimension, you'd knwo that a dimension does not equal a universe.

Bacteria are alive. An extremely intelligent lifeform could think the same about us.

Not likely. Bacteria have no brains. They cannot think. Humans can act against instinct. Thats obvious to anyone that studies us for awhile.

So that doesnt look anything like a Solar System?

That model of the atom died in 1927 (see Heisenberg). Get over it. Real atoms look nothing like solar systems, aside form the fact that there is a lot of mass at the center.

This is bullshit. Intelligence needs to be expressed at the base level. Its like saying two cogs demonstrate intelligence because they can work together. Clearly wrong. No biologist considers bacteria to be intelligent.

This leads us too...

No, this is nto intellignece, this is a programmed biological response. The cell cannot decide not to chacse the food. It HAS to chase it. If the cell could change its mind of its OWN free will and say "I will starve myself to death," then it would exibit intelligence.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I think it is a comforting thing.

Yes, and heavan forbid you weren't comfortable.

I apologize to you, but even extremely well versed psychologists have difficulty defining what intelligence is, let alone measuring and quantifying the subject. Your definition is broad and avoids the fact that everything you do is based on the response/consequence relationship of all your actions since your initial response and/or external effect in your mother's womb. It could all be merely instinct and reaction, your perspective is the only thing that states it is otherwise.

No offence, psychologists may have a tough time defining intelligence, but when it comes down to the biochemistry of the cell, its damn easy. The defenition becomes mroe complex when you move into more complex structures.

I think my defintion of the ability to over-ride instinct is a good defention for this biological problem.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 09:54 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Definition 1 - How is such measured? Would you apply the same type of test to the: Blind, Deaf, Maimed, etc.? No, the test is tailored to the subject, so much so that those in black minorities, especially those in ghetto type neighborhoods, are measured and scored differently than other individuals. Thus, an intelligence test of the bacteria must be tailored to the bacteria's capability to respond and "hear".

Definition 2 - Manifestation of high mental capacity. Measurement of this is also tailored to the subject.

Definition 3 - Understanding is observed through some behavior, if I make a trail of "food" and the bacteria follows it, it understands where I want it to go.

Definition 4 - knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted. If I place the trail of "food", and the bacteria follows it, it has shown knowledge received.

Definition 5 is in reference to groups such as CIA.

Bacteria are showing intelligence given the only means by which such a concept can be measured, observation of behavior.
Intelligence can be measured in many things based on behavior and responses to stimuli. If bacteria learned then no amount of drugs or medicine would fight them because they would learn to avoid such chemicals, they will evolve or become immune to such things but they do not learn or have the capacity too.

However the test for intellect is not based on the type of person or what or who they are but can they. The measure of intelligence is a different matter and is not testing if they have intelligence but how much and this is where other environmental factors will come into play.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 10:04 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Only because with the new sciences that have discovered that things are out side of our reality and not yet known............and why not something much bigger than us?.............That would be just Agnostic..............

Old Post Oct 5th, 2006 10:50 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote