KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » How much are you willing to spend on a computer

How much are you willing to spend on a computer
Started by: rotiart

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
forumcrew

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kaled
i don't know if anyone can help me out here, need a new monitor, but i'm not looking to spend too much, budget is about £200, anyone know a good monitor to get?

for not wanting to spend too much thats a pretty nice budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001085

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001087

depending if you want widescreen or not, and well under budget.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 09:24 AM
forumcrew is currently offline Click here to Send forumcrew a Private Message Find more posts by forumcrew Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DiffidentAngel
Little old me

Originally posted by forumcrew
for not wanting to spend too much thats a pretty nice budget.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001085

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16824001087

depending if you want widescreen or not, and well under budget.

lol, well 200 is the maximum, even then i'd probably not.

thanks mate, big help smile

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 03:33 PM
DiffidentAngel is currently offline Click here to Send DiffidentAngel a Private Message Find more posts by DiffidentAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
usagi_yojimbo
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: How much are you willing to spend on a computer

Originally posted by rotiart
Honestly, If you were gonna save up to spend on a computer how much would you spend?

I was reading an article today that said $0-1000 are low tier computers.. $1001-2000 are mid tier computers... and $2001+ are high end computers...

So how much would you really spend on a computer?

Right now I'm looking at buy a 4600+ amd athlon dual core with 2 gigs of ram, 320 gigs of memory a liquid cooling system all for about obviously a sony dual layer dvd burner (no monitor or windows as i own them already)

Now i'm not putting in a physics card, nor am i putting in a high end videocard, because i don't play games like halo, counterstrike, doom 3, quake 4, etc... I like to use my computer as a media center to watch videos and play games that don't require highend graphics cards...

to that end i'm putting in a nvidia geforce 7300 gt 512 16x pci express x 16 video card

all this for 1052 dollars...

I guess if i had to buy a monitor and operating system... i'd have to fork out another 4-500 bucks and end up in the mid tier range... what about you guys? i see these computers online for like 400 bucks.. and others for 4000, and think man 400 bucks isn't gonna do much... but 4000..-18000 wtf are those guys thinking!!! (go to apple.com and build the most expensive thing you can for the macpro you'll see what i mean...

??Gadzooks man - are you planning on running a small media business from your home??

What in the world do I need 2 gigs of Ram and 320 gigs of memory for??? I can only think of two logical uses for having such enhancements. The first would require one to be a hardcore gamer, the second would be if one were attempting to do a lot of downloads(using a file sharing service).

The cooling system is really unnecessary to me as well, as there is no real notable proof that such systems that have them -- last that much longer than those that don't have them on standard PC's(and they can also be dangerous, as they can also cause various portions of the motherboard to rust and erode).

All that being stated - I could not see myself spending more than 600 - 800 on a PC.

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Last edited by usagi_yojimbo on Nov 12th, 2006 at 03:52 PM

Old Post Nov 12th, 2006 03:49 PM
usagi_yojimbo is currently offline Click here to Send usagi_yojimbo a Private Message Find more posts by usagi_yojimbo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote