KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » elrond vs the balrog

elrond vs the balrog
Started by: st@rlight

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
st@rlight
twilight

Shocked elrond vs the balrog

I don't imagine who could win this battle. confused . Is it elrond (the keeper of the most powerful ring of the 3 given to the elves) and the balrog (a powerful maia) ???

Old Post Nov 4th, 2006 07:54 PM
st@rlight is currently offline Click here to Send st@rlight a Private Message Find more posts by st@rlight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Hrrrm I'm gonna go with the Maia. The Elven Rings didn't really have offensive powers and seeing as Elrond could only really be as powerful in combat as say a very powerful Elf lord (say Glorfindel who was near Maia like power levels) then even if Elrond was to defeat the Balrog chances are he would be slain too. There isn't actually a case I know of when a Balrog has been killed without the other person dying as well.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 12:06 AM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

I vote ringwraiths, because they pretty much pwn everyone erm

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 03:03 AM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except for Aragorn. He took out all nine of them with a burning stick erm

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 06:15 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rampant ox

Lol. laughing

Oh, Saruman would win btw. Lowly ringwraiths are no macth for everyones favourite corrupted wizard wink

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 06:21 AM
Rampant ox is currently offline Click here to Send Rampant ox a Private Message Find more posts by Rampant ox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Council#13
The Omega Male

Didn't Saruman hid when the Nazgul came to Isengard?

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one." -Dr. Seuss

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 08:44 AM
Council#13 is currently offline Click here to Send Council#13 a Private Message Find more posts by Council#13 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Either way I doubt Saurman would be able to stand up against the Ringwraiths seeing as he fell so far he woulnd't be as powerful as he was uncorrupted. At least thats how I've read it. And Blax Aragorn only did that in the film in the book its worth noting that all nine were not present Gandalf had drawn I think 4 or 5 of them off and the remainder were the ones that encountered Aragorn and the Hobbits.

Aragorn coulnd't stand up to them. We are informed that all the men of the Dunedain watching the Shire could not bar the entry of the Nazgul and that wouldn't have changed if Aragorn had been present. The only two mentioned in the book who could ride openly against the Nine are Gandalf and Glorfindel.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2006 06:58 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

thought I might get back to the original matter. I think the balrog stands a better chance. there are elves who have killed balrogs in the book, but all of them have died. and I think the balrog stands a better chance of surviving.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2006 06:28 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blax X
Except for Aragorn. He took out all nine of them with a burning stick erm

Pfft, not really. They were all fine and dandy a few scenes later to chase Arwen.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2006 08:41 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Originally posted by thefallen544
Either way I doubt Saurman would be able to stand up against the Ringwraiths seeing as he fell so far he woulnd't be as powerful as he was uncorrupted. At least thats how I've read it. And Blax Aragorn only did that in the film in the book its worth noting that all nine were not present Gandalf had drawn I think 4 or 5 of them off and the remainder were the ones that encountered Aragorn and the Hobbits.

Aragorn coulnd't stand up to them. We are informed that all the men of the Dunedain watching the Shire could not bar the entry of the Nazgul and that wouldn't have changed if Aragorn had been present. The only two mentioned in the book who could ride openly against the Nine are Gandalf and Glorfindel.

It's also worth noting that in the movie only 5 are there. (Just rewatched the Fellowship)

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 03:13 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Ah, so indeed 4 had been drawn away. Thanks for the heads up there smile

Old Post Nov 7th, 2006 04:26 PM
thtadthtshldntb

Elrond even with Vilya (which is the Ring of Air, the 2nd most powerful ring of the elves, Gandalf has the most powerful one, Narya the Ring of Fire) Elrond has no chance against a Balrog. Only an Elf-Lord could defeat a Balrog and quite few died trying.

IIRC, in the novel, at Weathertop, the nascent fellowship (Aragorn and the Hobbits) were confronted by 5 Nazgul and not the Witch King. Aragorn drove them off, btw in the novel he had the shards of Narsil with him.

Only Glorfindel, Galadriel and the Maia such as the Wise could confront a Balrog and hope to win or drive off all 9 Nazgul like that.

J.R.R. Tolkien, "Of Beren and Luthien" from the Silmarilion

Old Post Nov 8th, 2006 02:14 PM
thtadthtshldntb is currently offline Click here to Send thtadthtshldntb a Private Message Find more posts by thtadthtshldntb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace Skywalker

Originally posted by Council#13
Didn't Saruman hid when the Nazgul came to Isengard?

But wasnt that more shock and surprise than fear though?

Old Post Nov 8th, 2006 06:23 PM
Mace Skywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Mace Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Mace Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Vilya was the most powerful of the Elven rings, not Narya. And I quote from Rotk "The Grey Havens" 'Elrond wore a mantle of grey and had a star upon his forehead, and a silver hard was in his hand, and upon his finger was a ring of gold with a great blue stone, Vilya, mightiest of the Three" Narya was known as "Narya the Great" but Vilya was the most powerful of the three Elven Rings.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2006 07:04 PM
bogen

balrog would melt his face litrally.

Gandalf on the other hand was a god like wizard and he realisticly couldn't die, i don't think illuvitar would allow it.

Facebook
Cheers starlock, your a champ. wink

Old Post Nov 11th, 2006 03:55 AM
bogen is currently offline Click here to Send bogen a Private Message Find more posts by bogen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dresta

Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb
Elrond even with Vilya (which is the Ring of Air, the 2nd most powerful ring of the elves, Gandalf has the most powerful one, Narya the Ring of Fire) Elrond has no chance against a Balrog. Only an Elf-Lord could defeat a Balrog and quite few died trying.

IIRC, in the novel, at Weathertop, the nascent fellowship (Aragorn and the Hobbits) were confronted by 5 Nazgul and not the Witch King. Aragorn drove them off, btw in the novel he had the shards of Narsil with him.

Only Glorfindel, Galadriel and the Maia such as the Wise could confront a Balrog and hope to win or drive off all 9 Nazgul like that.

isn't Elrond an Elf lord? Anyway i thnik the balrog would win.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2006 09:51 AM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Elrond is an Elf Lord. But I don't think his combat ability was to the same par as say Glorfindel who was at near Maia like levels of power. As such in a stright out fight I don't personally think Elrond could win. His skills lie more in healing, farsigh and council.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2006 06:40 PM
Dresta

He did have one of the rings of power though, which Glorfindel did not.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2006 06:56 PM
Dresta is currently offline Click here to Send Dresta a Private Message Find more posts by Dresta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace Skywalker

Originally posted by thtadthtshldntb

Did Gandalf ever use that ring? I really dotn remember? And where did he get it? That i dont remember either. Id just like to know abut f he ever had.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2006 08:25 PM
Mace Skywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Mace Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Mace Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

The rings of Power were not offensive, they were passive defensive rings. They inspired others, slowed the aging of the world and the realm and/or aided in the healing powers of those that held them. They did not allow the user to WTFOwn a Balrog. The Rings are powerful but it is a different kind of Power.

Gandalf got his ring Narya the Great from Cirdan the Shipwright, when Gandalf and his order arrived at the Grey Havens from the West. Cirdan percieved in him to be the greatest in spirit and the wisest and as such entrusted the Red Ring to him.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2006 09:13 PM