KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Book Club For Really Smart People Club.

Book?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Eyes. 3 16.67%
Eye. 0 0%
I. 11 61.11%
Floor. 4 22.22%
Total: 18 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Book Club For Really Smart People Club.
Started by: Ya Krunk'd Floo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's pretty sad. But not wholly without hope.

Old Post May 16th, 2008 08:16 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Just finished that 'American Gods'. It was pretty good, although I wasn't overly impressed, and I was never able to fully buy into the whole premise.

Just starting Good Omens...

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post May 23rd, 2008 01:56 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Just finished Good Omens. Again, it was a bit of a let-down. The stupid Pratchett 'weird' tangent stuff pissed me off. I think I laughed once, but I can't remember why. I think I'm going to give Gaiman a break for a while - Stardust was great, and Neverwhere was good, but American Gods and Good Omens? Pleugh.

Any recommendations from smart people who like good books?

Old Post Jun 11th, 2008 02:19 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
backdoorman
'cause I'm loose

Kinda different from what has been suggested in the past few pages but 'The Wicked Pavilion' by Dawn Powell. Light, funny and just really great.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2008 09:50 AM
backdoorman is currently offline Click here to Send backdoorman a Private Message Find more posts by backdoorman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkinpark200

Along Came A Spider by James Patterson-lots of blood and murder its mystery
1st to die by James Patterson-best book i have ever read and favorite series and who dosent like a book dealong with homicides nd maniacs
Meg:A Novel Of Deep Terror-Come on who dosent like a story about a
40-80 feet shark that weighs 20 tons-50 tons (Gets bigger as series go on.)its a lot better than Jaws.It could swallow Jaws whole without chewing.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2008 11:50 PM
Linkinpark200 is currently offline Click here to Send Linkinpark200 a Private Message Find more posts by Linkinpark200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Linkinpark200
Along Came A Spider by James Patterson-lots of blood and murder its mystery
1st to die by James Patterson-best book i have ever read and favorite series and who dosent like a book dealong with homicides nd maniacs
40-80 feet shark that weighs 20 tons-50 tons (Gets bigger as series go on.)its a lot better than Jaws.It could swallow Jaws whole without chewing.

You didn't read the directions on the side of this thread, did you?

In more important news, I'm currently reading The Game: Penetrating The Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss. It's great fun, interesting, educational, and true! Also, I hear Mystery has now got his own show on VH1...

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 04:21 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Linkinpark200

A book about a big shark. What kind of exploits does that crazy critter get up to, then?

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 04:37 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Speaking of sharks, The Raw Shark Texts was quite fun.

It's about stuff and that, look it up.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 07:21 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I almost purchased that a few months ago, but I was put-off because I thought it was going to be depressing and cold. Is it depressing and cold, VVD?

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2008 01:17 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Speaking of sharks, The Raw Shark Texts was quite fun.

It's about stuff and that, look it up.

I've heard really mixed reviews about it, people either seem to love it, or hate it. I'll give it a go once I've finished what I'm currently reading.

A lot of the books I've read recently, particularly new releases, have been so horribly sombre that it feels like a chore to read them. Any suggestions for books that are feel good and funny?

Last edited by chillmeistergen on Jul 24th, 2008 at 01:25 AM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2008 01:17 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I almost purchased that a few months ago, but I was put-off because I thought it was going to be depressing and cold. Is it depressing and cold, VVD?

Nah, the opposite.

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I've heard really mixed reviews about it, people either seem to love it, or hate it. I'll give it a go once I've finished what I'm currently reading.

A lot of the books I've read recently, particularly new releases, have been so horribly sombre that it feels like a chore to read them. Any suggestions for books that are feel good and funny?

I guess you could find it annoying. Dunno about hateworthy.

No idea about the other stuff. I don't read many like that.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 12:21 AM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by chillmeistergen

I'm with you on the ol' sombre note; now and then I'll read something like that - Borges' Labyrinths springs to mind - but generally I like something that makes me smile as well as contemplate. Here's some excellent books/authors that you should try:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Foer) - It hooks you from the first line, and although it is tragic, it is also charming and warm.

Dave Mitchell - Start with Ghostwritten, and go from there. He's probably my favorite current author. Each novel he has written has surpassed the previous, but they're all amazing.

Dave Eggers - I loved AHWOSG, but You Shall Know Our Velocity is my favorite. What is the What is also good.

Christopher Moore and Tom Robbins are good for a bit of stupid fun.

Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K. Jerome) - a fun read for a chuckle.

Caught Inside (Daniel Duane) - if you want a GREAT surf book that is about more than just surfing, then this is it. I'm sure you'd love it.

The Game (Strauss) - ridiculously fun and interesting. It's a book about a journalist learning how to become a pick-up artist.

For a bit of summer escapism, I've just started reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss. It's a fantasy novel, and I'm really getting into it.

Anyone else got any summer reading recommendations?

Nah, the opposite.

Your response to me is incongruous with your subsequent remark to chillmeistergen. I like you.

Last edited by Ya Krunk'd Floo on Jul 27th, 2008 at 04:45 AM

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 04:32 AM
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm with you on the ol' sombre note; now and then I'll read something like that - Borges' Labyrinths springs to mind - but generally I like something that makes me smile as well as contemplate. Here's some excellent books/authors that you should try:

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Foer) - It hooks you from the first line, and although it is tragic, it is also charming and warm.

Dave Mitchell - Start with Ghostwritten, and go from there. He's probably my favorite current author. Each novel he has written has surpassed the previous, but they're all amazing.

Dave Eggers - I loved AHWOSG, but You Shall Know Our Velocity is my favorite. What is the What is also good.

Christopher Moore and Tom Robbins are good for a bit of stupid fun.

Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K. Jerome) - a fun read for a chuckle.

Caught Inside (Daniel Duane) - if you want a GREAT surf book that is about more than just surfing, then this is it. I'm sure you'd love it.

The Game (Strauss) - ridiculously fun and interesting. It's a book about a journalist learning how to become a pick-up artist.

For a bit of summer escapism, I've just started reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss. It's a fantasy novel, and I'm really getting into it.

Nice one, thanks very much for giving me such an extensive list, it's always annoying when you ask for recommendations and get one.

I think I'll start by buying Ghostwritten, having read a brief synopsis online - it sounds like a really innovative novel.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2008 01:09 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I just finished reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was excellent.

Read the Amazon blurb if you wanna know what it's about. Do one!

Old Post Aug 20th, 2008 09:03 AM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Read: Ender's Game- NOW if you haven't already, and again if you've done it before.

Catch 22, Fahrenheit 451, Player Piano, or anything by Vonnegut are all good places to go too.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2008 02:20 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Just finished No Country for Old Men (Cormac McCarthy). I have to say it was more disturbing than the movie imo. It was also beautifully written, my favorite segments may have been the italicised thoughts of Sheriff Bell (which had their own chapters). Overall, it was a great read, if not somewhat depressing.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2008 06:28 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I just finished reading 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was excellent.

Read the Amazon blurb if you wanna know what it's about. Do one!

What is it?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2008 04:33 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
quote:
Nah, the opposite.

Your response to me is incongruous with your subsequent remark to chillmeistergen. I like you.

non sequitur FTW!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2008 11:22 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by Bardock42
What is it?

It's a book.

What is it?

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
non sequitur FTW!

Oh, how dashing!

Curb. So, so-so. Into a bit of the ol' Murakami at the mo. And yous?

Old Post Feb 20th, 2009 07:53 AM
Phat J

im stuck in the middle of great expectations at the moment, all my favourite parts from the films have already happened and now its all sad and depressing from here on in. dont think ill be able to finish it.

also trying to read the watchmen but cant really get around having to look at drawings while im reading. its sad i know but i find myself skipping the pictures altogether and just reading the dialogue without realizing it.

also reading the road by cormac mccarthy, pretty bleak but just interesting enough not to depress me while im reading it.

i think ill give that ghostwritten book you guys were talking about a shot next, it sounds interesting.

Last edited by Phat J on Feb 21st, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Old Post Feb 21st, 2009 10:20 PM
Phat J is currently offline Click here to Send Phat J a Private Message Find more posts by Phat J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote