KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » The Book Club For Really Smart People Club.

Book?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Eyes. 3 17.65%
Eye. 0 0%
I. 11 64.71%
Floor. 3 17.65%
Total: 17 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Book Club For Really Smart People Club.
Started by: Ya Krunk'd Floo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
manorastroman

i would like to remove from my chest the weight of the following statement: tom robbins is the single most masturbatory waste of time, tree, ink, and coffeeshop banter.

ever.

onto more positive things, i just finished eugene ionesco's "the bald soprano" and paul auster's "city of glass". the former is a hilarious bit of playwriting from one of beckett's contemporaries, truly the most absurd thing i've ever read, but also consistantly funny. the latter is a bizarre detective story that reads like vachss+cervantes or somesuch. flawed, but very interesting and expertly paced.

oh, and nobody REALLY likes james joyce, unless it's the dubliners, and even that's suspect. anyone who says otherwise his either attempting to violate you or get money from you.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 02:14 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Weird, that's what a friend of mine says as well...

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 03:15 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

I agree in part with the ol' Tom Robbins thing, but I did love 'The Jitterbug Perfume'.

As for ol' Joyce, you're wrong, dear boy. You're wrong. It's true, I can't swallow a whole Joyce in one go, but selective morsels are delicious. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't read enough books to appreciate why he's good, or has testicles for ear-lobes. Fact.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 03:16 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

pierce my earlobes and call me sexually liberated...though to be fair, i did enjoy some of the stories in dubliners.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bardock42
Weird, that's what a friend of mine says as well...

which piece?

Last edited by manorastroman on Dec 10th, 2006 at 03:27 PM

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 03:24 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

The one about Joyce.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2006 03:32 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Originally posted by manorastroman
pierce my earlobes and call me sexually liberated...though to be fair, i did enjoy some of the stories in dubliners.

Dubliners is definitely his most accessable novel, but his other ones are incredible if you take the time to appreciate what he's doing and what he's writing about. I was fortunate enough to have weekly lectures accompanying me the first time I read Ulysses, which helped immensely. Don't sniff at it just because it appears snooty, knowhaImean?

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 09:07 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Dubliners isn't really a novel, is it, you bastard?

I only really like 'An Encounter', and 'The Dead'.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:19 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Well, there is an internal narrative wheel connecting all the stories, but if you want to view them as seperate entities, then fine. You are an idiot, after all.

Also, it's interesting - though not entirely surprising - to find out that you liked 'An Encounter', you dirty old shit.

As for me, 'Eveline', 'Araby', 'Two Gallants', 'Little Cloud', and 'The Dead' were my favorites, although I was able to see the importance of the collection as a whole.

*Mmmmm-wehhhhhs...*

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:41 PM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Nerd.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:43 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

You are.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 12:48 PM
manorastroman

two gallants is very good. there's quite a difference between being impressed by joyce and enjoying him, though. i imagine having some smelly old professor telling you why you should like things helped, though whistle

has anybody else read jorge borges?

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 09:19 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

two gallants is very good. there's quite a difference between being impressed by joyce and enjoying him, though. i imagine having some smelly old professor telling you why you should like things helped, though whistle

Oh, what a silly web you weave! Do you not enjoy getting your brain massaged and urged to think and puzzle the pieces? I guess not, for that would require a brain in the first place...*toot-toot*

Indeed, I jest...I jest...

The thing with studying something like literature means that as long as you can substantiate your perspective then the need for mollycoddling is nil. Unless you are a weak-minded fool...Hello?

I haven't read any Jorge Borges...Is he incredibly shit?

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 12:05 AM
manorastroman

bah! he's one of the towering giants in the south american literary canon, along with garcia-marquez and puig. fantastic (in the literal sense), mathematical, very thought provoking.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 05:18 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
nil

A word that describes a ridiculously little amount that is so ridiculously little that it is non existent. Yes.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2006 04:19 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

A word that describes a ridiculously little amount that is so ridiculously little that it is non existent. Yes.

(dog)

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 02:41 AM
Bardock42

(dog)

A word to describe an animal. A dog to be exact. Oftenused. Maybe even in Ulysses. Though I wouldn't know.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 01:23 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

A word to describe an animal. A dog to be exact. Oftenused. Maybe even in Ulysses. Though I wouldn't know.

You are a man who uses his fingers to type letters that eventually form words on the computer-screen infront of your face.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 12:18 AM
Bardock42

You are a man who uses his fingers to type letters that eventually form words on the computer-screen infront of your face.
Truth

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 11:56 AM
manorastroman

you are just SO real, ya know?

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 12:03 PM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

you are just SO real, ya know?

Yes, I know I am SO real. How do I know? Well, I know because...I know because...because...BECAUSE I NEVER LOVED HIM THE WAY I LOVE YOU!

bah! he's one of the towering giants in the south american literary canon, along with garcia-marquez and puig. fantastic (in the literal sense), mathematical, very thought provoking.

Recommend me a starter for 3 points and a dance.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 12:30 PM