KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » No Hobbit for P.J

No Hobbit for P.J
Started by: Darth Vicious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Vicious

Angry No Hobbit for P.J

Im not sure if this was posted already, if it was I apologize in advanced.
Apparently The Hobbit and another prequel to LOTR will happen but Jackson wont direct. How can the studio be so stupid, after all the billions P.J made them they get greedy and as a result PJ wont direct. Its ridiculous. PJ is to LOTR what Lucas is to Star Wars.

'Rings' director taken off 'Hobbit' film

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand director Peter Jackson, who scored worldwide success with his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, said Tuesday he will not be making the movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" or a planned prequel.

In a letter posted on a Lord of the Rings Web site, Theonering.com., Jackson and partner Fran Walsh said a top executive from Los Angeles-based New Line Cinema had called to tell them the studio was moving ahead with "The Hobbit" movie without Jackson.

"Last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken (Kamins, Jackson's manager) and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel,"' Jackson wrote.

"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects," he added. New Line Cinema holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit," and Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer the rights to distribute it.

A spokesman from Wingnut Films, Jackson's production company in the New Zealand capital, confirmed to local media Wednesday that the letter was genuine. He spoke on his standard condition he not be named.

The announcement comes amid an ongoing dispute between Jackson's Wingnut Films and New Line Cinema over the amount Jackson was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," including DVD payments.

While Jackson has not said how much he believes he was underpaid, The New York Times last year quoted his lawyers as saying it was as much as US$100 million. He is suing New Line Cinema over the shortfall.

The Dominion Post newspaper in the New Zealand capital Wellington quoted Jackson as saying that because he and Walsh would not discuss the movies "until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director."

"We are very sorry our involvement with 'The Hobbit' has ended this way," the pair added.

Plans for Jackson to make a US$128 million movie version of the sci-fi video game Halo were also scuppered this month after backers 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures pulled out.

Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy grossed nearly US$3 billion at box offices worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Mov...n.ap/index.html

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 05:17 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Thats a shame thanks for the info

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 05:35 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
A.D. Skinner
Assistant Director

No matter who directs this film, it is going to be a huge box office hit. Yes, there are a lot of dedicated fans that are going to gripe about P.J. not directing this film, but in the end, they will all go and pay their money to watch it for we are truly Tolkien fans at heart.

Thanks for the info, and let's all just hope that it isn't as bad as the animated version of the story.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 05:56 PM
A.D. Skinner is currently offline Click here to Send A.D. Skinner a Private Message Find more posts by A.D. Skinner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flying High
Fly my Pretties Fly!!

ahwell...guess we'll see it from a different view...

People keep disappearing and reappearing lol

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 06:05 PM
Flying High is currently offline Click here to Send Flying High a Private Message Find more posts by Flying High Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

In a way, I'm happy about this. I mean, sure, I'm disappointed P.J. won't be directing, but it also means the movies going to come sooner.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 06:23 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

Now I'm scared blink

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 06:52 PM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

I wouldn't say Jackson is to LOTR is what Lucas is to Star Wars I mean it's not like Jackson made LOTR; Tolkien did. Hopefully they will get someone who is a good director. Jackson did well with LOTR but the success also came to those who helped him rewrite the script to make LOTR more movie friendly.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 07:17 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

ya i agree with u there we will have to see who will make this one ?

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 09:38 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I wouldn't say Jackson is to LOTR is what Lucas is to Star Wars I mean it's not like Jackson made LOTR; Tolkien did. Hopefully they will get someone who is a good director. Jackson did well with LOTR but the success also came to those who helped him rewrite the script to make LOTR more movie friendly.

I agree with u to some extent but it was P.J that brought LOTR to life, in a worthy manner. To me he got what MiddleEarth is and should be pretty much figured out. A new director would have to start from scratch. Im curious to see who it will be but I know one thing, He has some huge shoes to fill!

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 10:35 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

Ditto...

Old Post Nov 21st, 2006 10:45 PM
Draugwen is currently offline Click here to Send Draugwen a Private Message Find more posts by Draugwen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leggy_n_Merry
There is always hope

Oh no. Well, obviously I am disappointed that Peter isn't doing it, but yeah as people have said we'll just have to see what it's like.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2006 06:37 PM
Leggy_n_Merry is currently offline Click here to Send Leggy_n_Merry a Private Message Find more posts by Leggy_n_Merry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FullOfSith

way to ruin a seemingly good idea...

i dont even want to see what could happen to a LOTR film if its not done with PJ, Weta, and the writing crew.

studios suck

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2006 09:46 PM
FullOfSith is currently offline Click here to Send FullOfSith a Private Message Find more posts by FullOfSith Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naz
Super Senior Member

I just hope that even if Jackson isn't directing, it will still be on par with the other lotr films.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2006 10:26 PM
Naz is currently offline Click here to Send Naz a Private Message Find more posts by Naz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I dont mind if he does not make The Hobbit becouse hes allready given us LOTR the best films ever made

Old Post Nov 24th, 2006 10:06 PM
TheOnes2
I am The Ones

Sam Raimi has been approached to direct

Old Post Nov 24th, 2006 10:43 PM
TheOnes2 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOnes2 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOnes2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Draugwen
The Wanderer

who? ^^''''

Old Post Nov 24th, 2006 11:25 PM
Rogal Dorn
Mahal

Don't get me wrong I liked Jackon's directing. But at the same time I'm annoyed by the changes he made (Elves at Helms Deep?!) With that being said I love the LOTR films almost as much as the books for their own reasons. I do think its good that we have a new director. Whilst Jackson would have done a good job it is possible a new director can out a new angle on things and a fresh interpretation on how he wants to shoot the Hobbit. This is fitting with the tone of the book which is different in iteself to the tone of LOTR. Just hope they do a good job.

Yet the making of things is in my heart from my own making by thee; and the child of little understanding that makes a play of the deeds of his father may do so without without thought of mockery, but because he is the son of his father.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 02:31 PM
Rogal Dorn is currently offline Click here to Send Rogal Dorn a Private Message Find more posts by Rogal Dorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S-Ranger

Originally posted by thefallen544
Don't get me wrong I liked Jackon's directing. But at the same time I'm annoyed by the changes he made (Elves at Helms Deep?!) With that being said I love the LOTR films almost as much as the books for their own reasons. I do think its good that we have a new director. Whilst Jackson would have done a good job it is possible a new director can out a new angle on things and a fresh interpretation on how he wants to shoot the Hobbit. This is fitting with the tone of the book which is different in iteself to the tone of LOTR. Just hope they do a good job.

You got to look at it both way's though Jackson made the changes cause he felt they would progress the movie.

For all we know who ever direct's The Hobbit could change it in way's that will just leave us all like WTF what a disaster.

But the proof will be in the pudding.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 02:36 PM
S-Ranger is currently offline Click here to Send S-Ranger a Private Message Find more posts by S-Ranger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOnes2
I am The Ones

Originally posted by Draugwen
who? ^^''''

Director of the Spider-man movies

Old Post Nov 25th, 2006 02:47 PM
TheOnes2 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOnes2 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOnes2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

It could be worse. George Lucas could direct it.

"well...I decided to make Bilbo completely CGI animated, so that he can be "limitless", same with Gandalf, and we'll have Frank Oz do him.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 05:27 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote