KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Why does the search engine SUCK?

Why does the search engine SUCK?
Started by: BlackC@

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Then use the KMC Search instead which is far more advanced anyway.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:42 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mišt
How do you use it?

Look, I type in 'Jade Empire' for example, (this is the thread Im looking for: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...re+forumid%3A66 )

It comes up once in the normal search, on the third page. The rest are just posts mentioning it. I dont want to sit through and look at each page of search results for something that should come up clear as day.

I try the whole 'title:thread title' thing, 'title:Jade Empire' comes up with "Sorry, but no results were found for your search."

Its crap.

Here's the search

Attachment: screenshot.png
This has been downloaded 145 time(s).

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 04:03 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

Narrow it down further by using the usename option.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 04:04 PM
Raz is currently offline Click here to Send Raz a Private Message Find more posts by Raz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

See, I use the one at the bottom of the forum pretty much exclusively, and with that the only time I can't find the exact thread I'm looking for is if it's misspelled.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 04:09 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pinkfloydkor

then maybe im just stupid....

it never seems to work for me

thanks LifeInSepia, sig is AWESOME

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 09:29 PM
pinkfloydkor is currently offline Click here to Send pinkfloydkor a Private Message Find more posts by pinkfloydkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Originally posted by Raz
Here's the search

Oh you used brackets, see nobody mentioned that....cheersthumb up

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 12:41 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

The new engine uses Lucene as a backend.

The full query syntax can be found here: http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/...rsersyntax.html

You can use postid, title, userid, pagetext, dateline and threadid as fields for queries.

Maybe someone could write a guide we could sticky?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2006 09:54 PM
Hazardous

Question: If you use the 'title: (thread title)', does that search for exactly what you have typed in, or does it search for keywords? I tried to find another thread today but I wasnt sure what the exact name of it was, and I couldnt find it on any of the other searches.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 11:50 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

I don't think you need to use brackets... I did and it didn't bring anything up. I mean, I searched the OTF using 'title:the gentlemans club' and that seemed to work well enough. But when I tried the brackets as well it found nothing

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Nov 29th, 2006 03:40 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raz
Meister

Admin

If you type in title:the gentlemans club - then it will search for "the" in the title and "gentlemans" and "club" in either the title or a post.

Correct way would be to use title:"the gentlemans club" to search for that exact phrase or title:(the gentlemans club) for those terms in the title in any order.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 09:48 PM
Syren
dreaming

Originally posted by Raz
If you type in title:the gentlemans club - then it will search for "the" in the title and "gentlemans" and "club" in either the title or a post.

Correct way would be to use title:"the gentlemans club" to search for that exact phrase or title:(the gentlemans club) for those terms in the title in any order.

Ok, but as I said, the first thing I searched for was title:(the gentlemans club) and it found nothing. So I tried title:the gentlemans club and, as you said, it brought up the thread itself and other places where it had been mentioned. So if I used title:"the gentlemans club" it will search for the title as a whole?

I was just wondering why the use of brackets found nothing.

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Nov 30th, 2006 11:26 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hmm, got to concur with Syren on this one Raz; neither brackets nor quote marks find the thread. They find Mech's old one though.

Edit: Ah, but Gentleman (without the s) does work.

Is it possible that the apostrophe in "Gentleman's Club" (which Mech's one did not have) is throwing it? The search does not work with or without the apostrophe but that really only backs the suspicion.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2006 at 05:51 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:48 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Actually I think I know why that example doesn't work.

The lack of the apostrophe in the search term (which is in the actual thread title) might do it.

Type in title:"the gentleman's club" and it comes up with it, I just checked.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:49 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Though...hmmm. That only works if you use the search at the bottom of the forum.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:54 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

No, that's not it. If you search in the forum using the quote marks it finds the words in the body text, not the title, in what is meant to be a literal title-only search. The 'title' part of the search seems to have become redundant when used like that.

That being the case, the reason you only find it when using the search box in the OTF is precisely because it is searching for body text, not title.

It does seem this is not working properly. As it stands it still seems that it cannot find "The Gentleman's Club" by a title search, using parentheses or quote marks, and it may be the fault of the apostrophe.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2006 at 06:13 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:56 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Apparently.

This is honestly the first time I've actually run into this problem. Huh.

Also, just how long does it take for threads to end up in the search? I've noticed that threads that are less than a month or two old don't come up...

Last edited by Peach on Dec 1st, 2006 at 06:04 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 05:58 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Actually, I am not sure the quote mark searches work at all. Following the example above, the parentheses will find Jade Empire, but the quote marks will not. Again, it seems to search only the body text, not the title, when done in quote marks.

Just to follow up on the apostrophe thing, it seems a title search does not work on any term using an apostrophe, or at least an apostrophe followed by an s.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 1st, 2006 at 06:24 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 06:15 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

Yup confirmed.

The engine doesn't like apostrophe's...

Also, it seems, the need for brackets is mandatory. i.e. title:"the gentleman club" will not work as expected instead it should be title:("the gentleman club")

About the inclusion time - the engine is updated 4 times a day IIRC. And it contains all 7 million+ posts.

Do you have a link to the thread and the search terms you used that didn't find the thread?

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 07:35 PM
Peach
mordrem

Well, it's about 4-5 threads that it doesn't find, and they're all on the front page of that specific forum, so it's not that big of a deal...but I noticed it when I was doing a search for all of the Matrix RPG threads in the RP forum. I'll type title:matrix into the search at the bottom of the forum, and it gives me all the old threads (which are 2-3 years old), but only one thread from this year (dated from June) comes up.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2006 07:42 PM
Raz
Meister

Admin

I've found the problem. One of the fields wasn't being tokenized properly.

I'm currently rebuilding the search index. Should be done in around 12 hours.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2006 07:06 PM