KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » PIS Consistency vs Common Sense

Consistancy vs Common Sense
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I'm for what's shown to be true, time and time again. 5 38.46%
I prefer to rely on common sense to tell me what's BS. 8 61.54%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PIS Consistency vs Common Sense
Started by: darthgoober

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jrodslam

quote: (post)
Originally posted by pr1983
i'm sorry for flying off the handle like that too... embarrasment

All good man. No worries.big grin

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:29 AM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Originally posted by jrodslam
Actually Wally was impulsive as well a bit. Very impatient and that got him in trouble many a times. Hes had to stop and think about what hes gonna do after the first try slaps him in the face.

You missed the pun.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:30 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

All good man. No worries.big grin

big grin

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:31 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Originally posted by Soljer
You missed the pun.

Doh! I got it, i just thought you were serious though.sad

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:33 AM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Ahh you see. Thats always gonna be a problem if people look at it like that. Whos high end showings? When you have say Hulk vs Namor, going by high showings, Hulk will always have them over Namor, but when they fight its always a good fight. Hulk even loses at times. Then youll have Wonder Woman vs Juggernaut. Juggy is said to be as strong as Hulk or Supes, yet he hardly has any feats to show for it. We make exceptions for certain people. Thats why i go more by what is consistantly shown in battles instead of individual feats.

Yes but Namor and the Hulk is a bit of a different scenario. As far as pure strength and durability goes, yes Hulk has Namor beaten hands down. But Namor has a shot, because he has a MASSIVE speed advantage, the ability to fly, and far superior fighting skills. So it makes sense that the two of of them would be a good fight.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:37 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

Originally posted by darthgoober
Yes but Namor and the Hulk is a bit of a different scenario. As far as pure strength and durability goes, yes Hulk has Namor beaten hands down. But Namor has a shot, because he has a MASSIVE speed advantage, the ability to fly, and far superior fighting skills. So it makes sense that the two of of them would be a good fight.

But thats what im saying. Many people base the fights off feats and say how one person would destroy the other, yet when they fight 4, 5 or 6 times in the comics, the fights are drastically even. Dont get me wrong. there are some cases where that shouldnt matter at all, like Batman vs Superman or something like that. I personally dont go by feats, but rather whats displayed on a consistant basis because obviously some characters are less popular and dont have the feats or just havent been around as long.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 03:44 AM
Deadline

Originally posted by darthgoober
Ok, I figured this topic was LONG over due to be discussed. PIS, should it be dictated by consistency, or common sense? For instance, Flash has a hard time with people WAY slower than he frequently in his books. Wolverine has continually showed the ability to cut/stab many characters with an INSANE level of durability, and takes shots from 100+ characters routinly. Deathstroke has been taking it to the Teen Titans(including FLash) since his introduction. Batman has managed to sneak up on Superman God only knows how many times. And, whether we like it or not, Spiderman has managed to take on(and take shots from) way more herald level characters than just Firelord(like Hulk, Masterson Thor, Silver Surfer, Juggernaut, Absorbing Man). Now forum rules say, that we disregard PIS and SMvF, and go by the high end showings. But what happens when the rules come into conflict(for instance, SMvF can't really be considered as such at this point, because he's taken on herald level characters consistently, and under different writers).

[We're also supposed to go by high end feats, but who's? Wolverine taking on Namor, is a high end feat for him, but a low end feat for Namor? So in a thread between the two, which end are we supposed to go by? Daredevil being able to take on Spidey is also a high end feat for him, but a low end for Spidey. So which feats should be considered valid?

Thoughts?

Im going to get grief for this. Well I think it depends wether characters are prescribed to do it or not. For example if the bio says that they can do something but the comics consistently prove them wrong like Powerman lifting more than 3 tons in a comic thats not PIS. IF both bio and comics back something up then its not PIS. For example:

Mantis

Her mastery of the Priests' martial arts, which focus on manipulation of nerve endings and pressure points, has enabled her to knock out beings as powerful as Thor.

When you have something like this you cant turn around as says its PIS because the Universe has prescibed her with the ability to do it. Saying this is PIS, is like saying humans on Mars cant die of radiation because you dont want to belive its true. People have to understand that physics are different in the MU. Another thing to bare in mind is that Spiderman and Wonder Woman should be bullet proof. Strength is relative to durability but their not, so to an extent you can't use common sense. The best way to tell if something is PIS or not is by seeing wether characters are prescribed to do it.

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It actually says in the forum rules PIS is not contingent on consistency.

Im looking but I cant see it anywhere.

No Mentioning Events of PIS

Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS, is when characters don't use their abilities or skills to the fullest extent as shown before, even within their personality ranges, for the sake of the story plotline. It makes lesser powered characters an actual challenge against higher powered characters in the comics. Examples of PIS include Flash stories lasting longer than three panels, or Toy Man as a threat to Superman.

Character Induced Stupidity, or CIS, on the other hand, refers to any natural mental limitations that characters impose upon themselves and reduce their ability to use their own skills and powers effectively. Unlike PIS, CIS does not occur because the plot requires it, but because the character is genuinely that dumb. Examples of the CIS-afflicted include characters such as Rhino or Jar Jar Binks. Events of CIS are not exempt from debates.

Spiderman Vs Firelord says this.

Batman being able to sneak up on Superman is not because he has done so frequently under different writers.

This implies that PIS can be contingent to consistency eventhough this is in the SvFL section, SvFL is just a greater version of PIS and therefore can be applied.

Originally posted by Soljer
PIS is NOT contingent on consistency. The Flash should NEVER get hit by most of the people that tag him.

Spiderman should NEVER have trouble with someone who lacks superhuman speed.

Wolverine taking shots from class 100 characters isn't much of PIS, though, as he's been doing it since his inception. It's what his character was created to do.

Spiderman dancing around some superior characters using primarily his spider sense is not PIS.

Beating down Firelord with punches, though, was.

It's based off of common sense, for me.

Im sure you are contradicting yourself im sure in the Cap vs Spidey thread you said it was.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:23 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Physics are different in comics alltogether, not just Marvel Universe.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:25 AM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Physics are different in comics alltogether, not just Marvel Universe.

So you're agreeing with me?

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:32 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Eh, pretty much. It's pointless to argue that something is PIS because it would not make sense in real world physics. If that was what you were meaning.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:36 AM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by DarkCrawler
Eh, pretty much. It's pointless to argue that something is PIS because it would not make sense in real world physics. If that was what you were meaning.

Yes

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 08:37 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Originally posted by Alfheim
Im looking but I cant see it anywhere.

No Mentioning Events of PIS

Plot Induced Stupidity, or PIS, is when characters don't use their abilities or skills to the fullest extent as shown before, even within their personality ranges, for the sake of the story plotline. It makes lesser powered characters an actual challenge against higher powered characters in the comics. Examples of PIS include Flash stories lasting longer than three panels, or Toy Man as a threat to Superman.

Character Induced Stupidity, or CIS, on the other hand, refers to any natural mental limitations that characters impose upon themselves and reduce their ability to use their own skills and powers effectively. Unlike PIS, CIS does not occur because the plot requires it, but because the character is genuinely that dumb. Examples of the CIS-afflicted include characters such as Rhino or Jar Jar Binks. Events of CIS are not exempt from debates.
Hmm, I recall it actually stated. Oh well, the examples given clearly imply that regardless of how many times a Flash story occurs where the opponent is tremendously inferior speedwise it is PIS. And that regardless of how many times Toy Man was written as a threat to Superman it would be PIS.
Spiderman Vs Firelord says this.
Batman being able to sneak up on Superman is not because he has done so frequently under different writers.

This implies that PIS can be contingent to consistency eventhough this is in the SvFL section, SvFL is just a greater version of PIS and therefore can be applied.
It's a different section. You simply make biased inference because the characters you like are riddled with SvFL and PIS. Despite the example and name of SvFL, it generally refers to individual feats where a character has a showing beyond their abilities, while PIS generally refers to events or incidents where a character has been limited to enhance the story.

Regardless: "I prefer to rely on common sense to tell me what's BS."

Last edited by xmarksthespot on Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:45 AM

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 10:38 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

It's a different section.

Yes I already stated that.

Despite the example and name of SvFL,

Yes I laready stated that

it generally refers to individual feats where a character has a showing beyond their abilities, while PIS generally refers to events or incidents where a character has been limited to enhance the story.

Ok so what you are trying to tell me is that SvFL and PIS are not similar concepts and they won't overlap?

Regardless: "I prefer to rely on common sense to tell me what's BS."

Well you're the one who said that what determines wether a superhero can do something is wether it is prescribed or not.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:06 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

They're similar concepts but they're distinct concepts. That's why there are two of them.

(Oh and FYI, the Kree are a genetically stagnant species because they failed the test of the Crystal of Ultimate Vision. Had Wolverine taken the omnipotence granted by the crystal when he became akin to a god, humanity would also be evolutionarily frozen.)

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:09 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S-Ranger

I think we'll just have to keep finding common ground to agree on in each individual case because the problem is too complex to solve.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:12 AM
S-Ranger is currently offline Click here to Send S-Ranger a Private Message Find more posts by S-Ranger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

They're similar concepts but they're distinct concepts. That's why there are two of them.

Yes but if they are similar concepts that Batman example can still apply to PIS. Mars has a similar but distinct atmosphere, but its not so distinct that humans cant live there. Venus however is so distinct that humans cannot. Both examples merely talk about characters doing things they should not.

(Oh and FYI, the Kree are a genetically stagnant species because they failed the test of the Crystal of Ultimate Vision. Had Wolverine taken the omnipotence granted by the crystal when he became akin to a god, humanity would also be evolutionarily frozen.)

Well im not sure if I want to get into this again, because basically I stoped debating because you were being rude, but I will try again.

Im aware of Kree genetics but still the Kree did not experiment on the Skrulls, Shiar and probably 1000's of other aliens in the galaxy the humans are still distcintly special. Really if you want to talk about this you should go back to my thread, this is the wrong section.

Originally posted by S-Ranger
I think we'll just have to keep finding common ground to agree on in each individual case because the problem is too complex to solve.

I think prescription is good way of determining wether a character can do something or not.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:20 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Yes but if they are similar concepts that Batman example can still apply to PIS. Mars has a similar but distinct atmosphere, but its not so distinct that humans cant live there. Venus however is so distinct that humans cannot. Both examples merely talk about characters doing things they should not.
What the f**k? You do realise Mars' atmosphere is 95% CO2 right?
Well im not sure if I want to get into this again, because basically I stoped debating because you were being rude, but I will try again.

Im aware of Kree genetics but still the Kree did not experiment on the Skrulls, Shiar and probably 1000's of other aliens in the galaxy the humans are still distcintly special. Really if you want to talk about this you should go back to my thread, this is the wrong section.

The Skrull also failed the Crystal's test. As did many others. That was just an FYI I've no further interest in "debating" your crackpot theories.
I think prescription is good way of determining wether a character can do something or not.
A combination of prescribed characteristics, logic and common sense are adequate.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:27 AM
Deadline

What the f**k? You do realise Mars' atmosphere is 95% CO2 right?

The point im trying to make is that Mars is not so disticnt from Earth that humans cant find a way to live on it. Humans cannot live on Venus. roll eyes (sarcastic) I also stated that:

If SvFL and PIS are similar examples than the batman example still applies. Isn't SvFL and PIS merely just about characters doing things they should not be able to do?

The Skrull also failed the Crystal's test. As did many others.

The skrulls may have failed the test but there genetics are still greater than the Kree. The fact they can all shapshifte proves it. In fact they have more genetic potential in the fact that all Skrulls have powers, not all humans do. Despite this the Kree still decided to experiement on humans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skrull#Abilities

Abilities

Skrulls are known for their ability to shapeshift. All Skrulls are highly versatile shapeshifters who are not only able to mimic other humanoid species, but also to assume virtually any shape, from non-humanoid species such as cows to abstract shapes such as a box.

Did the Shiar fail the test? Can you also state the other races that failed? Eventhough other may have failed there are probably still loads of other.

That was just an FYI I've no further interest in "debating" your crackpot theories.

Well why did you go blantantly off topic? Its not an FYI, otherwise you would have stoped debating by now.

A combination of prescribed characteristics, logic and common sense are adequate.

Thats fine.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:45 AM
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

"Isn't SvFL and PIS merely just about characters doing things they should not be able to do?"

Aren't and "no". Only if one oversimplifies. They're distinct concepts.

PIS is about things happening to characters that shouldn't or fights lasting longer than they should etc. because of plot-induced lowering of a character's or characters' abilities in comparison to their other showings.

SvFL is about characters doing things blatantly beyond their abilities, as a statistical outlier, and it needn't be plot-induced.

FYI means what it means, for your information. That was for your information.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 11:56 AM
Deadline

"Isn't SvFL and PIS merely just about characters doing things they should not be able to do?"

Aren't and "no". Only if one oversimplifies. They're distinct concepts.

PIS is about things happening to characters that shouldn't or fights lasting longer than they should etc. because of plot-induced lowering of a character's or characters' abilities in comparison to their other showings.

SvFL is about characters doing things blatantly beyond their abilities, as a statistical outlier, and it needn't be plot-induced.

roll eyes (sarcastic) Im done with this. Im not going into this because this is just going to be a complete waste of time. They are similar concepts and you know it.

FYI means what it means, for your information. That was for your information.

Well thank you for making my argument even stronger.

Old Post Nov 27th, 2006 12:05 PM