KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Expanded Universe IS relevant . . .

Expanded Universe IS relevant . . .
Started by: Darth Heinous

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Heinous

Expanded Universe IS relevant . . .

George Lucas sometimes uses stuff from EU. Exar Kun was the Dark Lord of the Sith to use a double-bladed lightsaber. The Sith War was written years before The Phantom Menace. There are other revelevant things from EU that George uses. However, instead of pointing them out, I'll let you find them and post them here. Cheers!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 05:19 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

Thank you DH!!! I love the EU almost as much as the movies. While the stuff may not be cannon it is very important to the Star Wars universe. I know Coruscant comes from the EU and who knows what else Lucas will use. I don't think an EU character will play a large role in any movie, but I would love to see one in a cameo, or just by name mention only.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 10:50 AM
Gundark
Mayhem

I'm reading the EU in order of publication and I'm missing some, so when I'm finished I'll have to get back to you on this one. smile

Old Post Jan 17th, 2001 09:36 PM
Click here to Send Gundark a Private Message Find more posts by Gundark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

The only problem with the EU is that if Lucas decides something doesn't fit in with what he's going for Episode-II/III then he'll just ignore it.

Boba Fetss origins are a key case in point.

I think that after Episode-III is released, then all EU moving forward will be considered cannon.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 04:52 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedimaster3838

That does bring up an interesting point. After the films are released will the authors of the EU change anything that the movies say differently about. For example, if Naboo is somehow destroyed will the EU mention that anywhere? And the EU has said the Stormtroopers were recruited but they may turn out to be clones, will they go back and say they were clones, or will they sort of ignore it?

Old Post Jan 19th, 2001 06:10 AM
UnknownBountyHunter

I think that the authors were smart about this, and haven't set out any forked pathes for us to follow. They were leaving Lucas to the BIG details (Naboo's Fate, The Clones whereabouts). About Boba Fett however, that was a disastrous call to have two different stories behind it. But how do we even know what Lucas said about him? I don't remember Lucas mentioning anything about Boba's past.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2001 05:28 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Thats just it, Lucas hasn't said anything about Fett's past. I think it was McCallum who said "Forget everything you know about Bobba Fett."

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2001 07:18 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

Ah, I see. Well than we can't really forget everything until we hear the truth. I think McCallum is just taking us for a joyride in circles. Isn't he the one that said all the fan sites and forums were totally off on the new episode. I think McCallum is a dumb ****.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2001 07:24 AM
Click here to Send UnknownBountyHunter a Private Message Find more posts by UnknownBountyHunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Also, I believe it was posted on the Official Website in their Jedi Council.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2001 11:32 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Coreworld

I was just wondering if one day GL will release what would have been Episodes VII-IX as a series of books? It's looking real doubtful that he will ever get around to doing them as feature films as it takes upwards on a decade to prep/film them, so this would be one way of completing the saga, either way it sounds like a novel idea. (Groan!)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2001 12:59 AM
Click here to Send Coreworld a Private Message Find more posts by Coreworld Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

Does GL have kids? I think so. One of his children could direct the future trilogy sometime later. Have any of you seen the movie The Dark Crystal? The maker of that has a son who is doing the sequel, and in the same type of movie-making process. (Puppets-Art animation)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2001 04:03 AM
JediOasis
Better Man

I am pretty sure that Lucas has said over and over again that he would not allow anyone else to make a Star Wars film, and I don't think his kids would go against that after he dies(hopefully not for a long, LONG time). And I know that he said after EP 3 he was done with the saga.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jan 25th, 2001 04:40 AM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UnknownBountyHunter

quote:
he said after EP 3 HE was done with the saga.

I don't think GL is that stingy. His coulds, if wanting to pursue the career of being in a director's seat, can continue with it if they want. I am sure GL wouldn't be against his own family if they wanted to continue it. (Maybe along the assistance of GL).

Old Post Jan 25th, 2001 04:53 AM
JediOasis
Better Man

I hate to be persistent, but I am almost positive Lucas has said rather firmly that Star Wars movies ended with him. I would love for his kids or maybe Speilberg or someone to continue the saga, but I don't think it will happen. I guess in a couple years all we'll have is the EU, which isn't so bad.

-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Jan 25th, 2001 11:11 AM
Darth Heinous

Originally the Star War saga was supposed to have twelve episodes! Gerge Lucas cut it down to nine, then to six. Perhaps he'll write episodes 7 - 12 as novels.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2001 02:17 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

GL orignally said the Star Wars saga was 9 episodes, with three extra episodes possible that dealt with some of the characters rather than the main plot. he dumped that idea quite quickly, and lost heart in doing a (rather pointless) final three more recently.

It is also clear that George cares very, VERY little for the Expanded Universe. And why should he? If I created a Universe, I might be willing to make money out of it by licensing it out, but there is no way I'd let anyone else make an intellectual contribution.

Any EU plotpoint that made it to the big screen only did so because it was in George Lucas' early notes, scripts or books- Coruscant is such an example.

Be very sure. Lucasfilm and Mr. McCallum have been issuing statements about Boba Fett because they are creating a VERY different background for him. Any other EU plot point in the way will get a similar chop.

GL did try to plan ahead to stop this happening, by creating lots of "Off-limits" zones for the book writers- the CLone Wars are such an example. But either he forgot to put such a ban on Fett, or he didn't originally intend to bring him back.

But EU fans shouldn't be at all worried. Just enjoy what you enjoy- if it isn't relevant to the films, so what? Persoanlly, I dislike much of the EU output, for all sorts of reasons, but it's all just personal. But the fact is that any relevance they have to the main films is very, very circumstantial at best.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 6th, 2001 03:30 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Wasn't Dash Rendar's Outlander added in the Mos Eisely escape scene in the Special Editions?

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Feb 6th, 2001 06:24 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Yeah it was, and haven't I said that like 10 times before in other posts?

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Feb 6th, 2001 07:50 PM
finti

Very nice detective work there guy`s. Now I have to go back and slow motion the entire scene. This means I have to watch all four movies all over again. COOL!!! rolling on floor laughing

Old Post Feb 7th, 2001 02:36 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
theEvilJedi

Well EXSQUEEZ me.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: (Looks up at his chains) "Good job!"

Old Post Feb 7th, 2001 05:05 AM
Click here to Send theEvilJedi a Private Message Find more posts by theEvilJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote