KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- Main Rules and character creation (Updated 2011)

USH'S LORD OF THE RINGS GAME- Main Rules and character creation (Updated 2011)
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Peach
mordrem

Hmmm, changey thingies?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 14th, 2011 05:06 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Might there be an opportunity to join in at some point or is it full?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 01:26 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It's open right now at this very moment! A good time.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 01:31 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Awesome, I'll read into the character creation and set one up then.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2011 01:47 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I am not sure about a couple of things. If the stat is not on the race sheet, can I still take it? And if so, at what level does it start?

Old Post Jul 16th, 2011 03:44 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Can you clarify what you mean by 'stat'? If you mean Skill, it just means your starting score in that skill is 0; it can always be improved with Development points.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Jul 16th, 2011 12:56 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Silvan Elf - Ranger

Strength: 0
Agility: 10 + 10 + 5
Constitution: 0 + 10
Intuition: 0 + 10
Intelligence: 5
Presence: 10

Starting Skills

Unarmoured (Ag) - 5 + 5 + 25 - 35
Soft Leather (Ag) - 0 + 5 + 25 15
One-handed edged weapons (St) - 5 + (2 * 1) + 0 - 7
Missile Weapons (Ag) - 15 + 10 + (2*1) + 25 - 52
Climb (Ag) - 10 + (3*1) + 25 - 38
Ride (Intu) - 5 + (3*1) + 10 - 18
Swim (Ag) - 15 + (3*1) + 25 - 43
Track (Inte) - 0 + 5 + (3*1) - 13
Pick Lock - 0 + 5 + ? - 5
Stalk/Hide (Pr) - 20 + 5 + (2*1) + 10 - 37
Read Runes (Inte) - 5 + 5 - 10
Perception (Intu) - 15 + 5 + (2*1) + 10 - 32
Body Development - 5 + 10 - ?
Hunting - 0 + 5 + (1*1) + ? - 6
Pathways - 0 + 5 + (3*1) + ? - 8

Spell choice - 1 + 1 - 2 ?

Special
Silvans have no lifespan; they live forever barring violence. There are rare exceptions to this but it is generally true.
Silvans cannot become sick or scarred. They also carry a fragment of the light of Valinor within; they get +10 Resistance against Cold and +10 defence against all Cold-based attacks.
Silvans only require starlight to see as well as Men do during the day. In extremely low light, they can see up to fifty feet perfectly, and up to a hundred feet to a certain extent. Silvan hearing is several times better than that of Men.
Silvans delight in deceit and song. They get +10 to all Stalk/Hide rolls, and also to rolls using the Secondary skills Music and Trickery.
Silvans do not sleep, instead meditating for about three hours a day. The flip side of this is that it is harder to wake from meditation than from sleep.
Silvans get four background points

Money (Pack Animal - Wolf)
Stat + 5 Agility
Pain Resistant (don't know if that's a good choice, how does it work exactly?)
Item Bow + 10

Old Post Jul 17th, 2011 12:37 AM
Bardock42

...I think I misread "pack animal" as an animal that lives in a pack, like a dog or wolf. Is there a way to get an animal as pet btw?

Old Post Jul 17th, 2011 03:14 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It needs a particular Channelling spell to give you advantages- Lana's character has such a thing.

A quick look over looks fine to me (and they will be grateful for a Ranger). Any idea where your character is from an why he has gone out into the big wide world?

BtVS

Old Post Jul 18th, 2011 01:18 PM
Bardock42

I was thinking from the Mirkwood. Perhaps to see the world and fight evil things. I think the Mirkwood has Orcs and such. So he may have some experience there.

And I guess I don't need the money then, I'd change it to "Proficient" I think.

I don't exactly understand how magic works, how many spell points or Mana (or what it is called) does a ranger get?

Last edited by Bardock42 on Jul 18th, 2011 at 04:01 PM

Old Post Jul 18th, 2011 03:55 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok I just 'updated' the Magic Thread (with a new post) so you can see how many Power Points you get by level. If you didn't see it before, it is near the top now.

As a Ranger, you should definitely select Channelling as your preferred Magic type. Now, you will find you don't have many Power Points, and Rangers don't often carry items that increase them, but you don't need many as a Ranger.

You should spend your Spell Points on buying some spells. Remember, though, that you can't use a Spell of a higher level than your character, so you kinda buy them for future use.

Pain Resistant basically gives you extra hit points. Hit points in this system basically just mean being knocked about- actual wounds are far more serious.

BtVS

Old Post Jul 19th, 2011 04:58 PM
Bardock42

I'll take

I Vellon o Levain

Level 1: Animal Tongues
Cost: 1
Effect: One target
Duration: One minute per level
Range: 100

Caster gains ability to communicate with one animal that is within range.

I Alu o Elbereth

Level 1: Shield
Effect: Self
Duration: 1 minute per level
Range: Self

Creates an invisible force field in front of the caster. It acts exactly like a shield for the caster, adding 25 to DB for Melee and Missile attacks (caster gets no advantages if already using a shield).

I Ven uin Randir

Level 1: Lesser Pathways
Duration: Four hours

Gain a 25 bonus to any Pathways roll.

Level 2: Find Shelter
Duration: Four hours

Gain a 40 bonus to a Foraging roll to find a shelter if trying to find a camp site (see 5.22 in the rulebook).

I Guil uin Randir

Level 1: Water Finding
Effect: 10 mile radius
Duration:

As I Chir O Nen spell.

Level 2: Weather Prediction
Effect: Target
Duration: -

Gives a bonus of 40 to any Weather-Watching roll.

Level 3: Hunting
Duration: -

Gives a bonus of 40 to any Hunting roll.

And I think I'd rather take Observant than Pain Resistant, since I wouldn't try to be in the frontlines ever anyways.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2011 06:54 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Whoa there, that seems a lot of spells. You only have two Spell choices, yes? That's going to give you four at most; each choice gets you two Spells if it is a Chanenlling list or one spell from Essence (assuming you favoured Channelling)

BtVS

Old Post Jul 21st, 2011 03:23 PM
Bardock42

Well, I thought taking "proficient" instead of "money" gets a lot more spells. Or did I misunderstand that?

Old Post Jul 21st, 2011 10:20 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

So it does! I'd forgotten that existed. Fair enough then!

BtVS

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2011 07:57 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well anyway! I can fit you in relatively quickly. Do you know much about Middle-Earth in this era or shall I fill you in?

BtVS

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 04:52 PM
Bardock42

I know some, perhaps a quick overview would be good though, I wouldn't say I am the most knowledgable LOTR fan there is.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 05:17 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, well, do you know anything about Arnor?

BtVS

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 05:33 PM
Bardock42

Well, I read a bit back, but mostly what the wikipedia page said, haha.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2011 05:44 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Haha!

Ok well, long story short- Arnor was the northern Kingdom of men where Gondor was the southern. Stretching from the Shire in the west (part of Arnor at the time) to Rivendell to the east, Arnor was actually the greater of the two kingdoms but the weakness of man messed it up- an argument over the royal succession saw it split into three different kingdoms, which saw it ill-prepared for the rising threat of the mountain kingdom of Angmar and its fabled Witch-King.

At the point the game is set- some thousand years before the films- one of the three Arnorian kingdoms, Rhudaur, has long fallen and is now inhabited by Dunlendings (Hillmen). The second, Cardolan, has broken down into a mess of competing regions and city-states with no central authority. Some are doing ok, those close to Rhudaur have been effectively destroyed.

Only the the third and strongest of the three, Arthedain, still functions as a true kingdom of Man and has recently prospered under its strong King Arvedui. Arvedui has sought deals with the Elves and has even opened up communications with Gondor for the first time in centuries- indeed, Arvedui had a good claim to the Gondorian throne after their King was killed in battle, but a lack of trust between the Kingdoms meant his claim was ignored. He seeks to built that trust and has in fact married a Gondorian Princess. He has also invited members of all the free people who wish to fight the menace from Angmar to come to Arthedain where they ill be treated well; the players re all such people.

One thing you have to remember is that haivng seen the films, you know a lot more than the people of this era do (e.g. who the Witch-King is). To most people, Angmar is a local problem to Arthedain and few really care; there is nothing like the global and obvious threat seen in the films (not at the point in the story we have reached, anyway). The Elves no longer have the number or will to defend Man (Elrond has already bailed out Arnor once, and refuses to do so again- Man has to stand on their own now), the Dwarven Realms are at their height and care only about what they find below ground, and even fewer people knew what Hobbits are than in the time of the films (they specifically travelled to Arthedain for protection under its King); the area they settled isn't really known as the Shire until later). You guys as players can be of a different opinion.

As for the Mirkwood- that also has its problems. Very much in recent memory for Elves it was the Greenwood, one of those Elven forests of nature and wonder. But every passing century has seen it become more twisted and dark, and it is indeed now known as the Mirkwood. The Elves fight spiders and goblins from the mountains who venture in, and wonder what has caused this growing evil.

There are two Elven types in the Mirkwood- Thanduril leads a kingdom of Sindar, who are the Elves you generally will see in the Mrikwood (as in the Hobbit). However, Silvan Elves are still to be found in many Middle-Earth forests and especially ones strong in the way of Elves; you can choose whether you are a Silvan in Thranduril's Kingdom or one who dwells out 'native' in the trees.

What would bring you to Arthedain, do you feel?

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Aug 1st, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Old Post Aug 1st, 2011 11:28 AM