KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Knights of the Old Republic

Knights of the Old Republic
Started by: Julie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Julie
The Student

Yes I guess that would prove to be true.....Aotc is only days away, Rebel Stand is soon to follow.....traitor is a few months away and then comes destiny's way and then probably Knights

Old Post May 13th, 2002 02:57 AM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Well now I have learned that KOTOR is set to come out Fall 2002. You will be able to order it online from stores.lucasarts.com on September 1st

Old Post May 14th, 2002 12:02 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

cool.....for a moment their I forgot what KOTOR was wink

Old Post May 15th, 2002 10:01 PM
Click here to Send Julie a Private Message Find more posts by Julie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

How could you forget what the intitials mean? I mean just look at this thread's name!

Old Post May 15th, 2002 10:22 PM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

kotor looks very nice.. but stuck playing jediknight II untill rouge squadron II gets to florø

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post May 16th, 2002 11:54 AM
Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

I recently read an article about KotOR in Star Wars Gamer, ...now I really wish the game would come out NOW smile wink

Old Post May 19th, 2002 03:23 AM
LanceWindu

More on KOTOR from IGN. This is an article from when they went to E3:

quote:
May 24, 2002 - The demo version of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic that we saw was extremely limited, but there was still plenty of game to evaluate. Note that these impressions are from the Xbox version, but the PC translation should be very similar. The story for KOTOR is completely original and set some 4,000 years before the events of The Phantom Menace film. BioWare and LucasArts want to rekindle the spirit of the Jedi Knights and their role in the Old Republic and Xbox owners will be first to get their hands on this title.
Character creation is going to be based on a template system. There will be a total of 30 different basic types, spread across five different "races." The development team is reluctant to give away too much about the story of the game, but the basic elements revolve around you discovering your latent Force powers, thanks to some sympathetic Jedi, and developing your skills as a Jedi Knight over the course of the game. In addition to choosing a template for your character, you have to decide if he's going to be a Soldier, a Scoundrel (like Lando) or a Scout. Your initial attributes will be based on which career you choose, but you can easily change the overall feel of your character as you earn and assign attribute points.

The skill sets are shrouded mostly in mystery as well, but LucasArts says there will be "more than 100 skills and feats across different categories." We know that there will be computer skills that'll help you when you need to hack into a network or make something happen on a computer. The droid skill will allow you to reprogram and manipulate droids that you encounter after you've incapacitated them.

As your Force-related powers develop you're actually on the way to becoming a Jedi or a Sith as determined by your dialogue with other characters and your actions when confronted with problems. Always being aggressive and responding negatively all the time could make you the next Darth Whoever. Using intelligent, creative means to solve problems and always re-affirming your allegiance to the light side of the Force will make you a happy, happy Jedi.

The combat system is a complicated mix of real-time programmable moves. You have skill ratings that will determine your skill as a fighter, but you determine just how your Knight will fight when it comes time for brawling. You'll develop new moves such as a flip or devastating lightsaber attack that you assign to your combat repertoire but you're not pushing attack buttons to execute your moves. It seems that the combat mechanic is still being tweaked to provide the most control without making the game a rapid fire hack and slash.

Several mini-games will be included in KOTOR but they fit well within the Star Wars universe as we've come to know it. Several times throughout the game you'll get behind the controls of a laser turret to shoot down enemies in space battles. Your own ship the Ebon Hawk has a turret that you'll man several times throughout the game. The ship itself serves as a sort of hub/headquarters for your character. He can research new skills, heal yourself, store characters in your party that you're not using and all kinds of other stuff in the Hawk.

The list of mini-games is still unrevealed but we know that in addition to the laser turret segments, you'll be able to play a card game. Everybody's favorite baron administrator, Lando Calrissian was known to be quite the Sabacc player, which would make perfect sense for the card game in Knights of the Old Republic.

Most of KOTOR remains wrapped in mystery with very limited information being released during E3 and most of that was based on the limited demo level. There's still a whole lot more information on Knights of the Old Republic that we're going to uncover down the road.

Sounds great so far!!!

Old Post May 26th, 2002 03:35 AM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Latent Force powers? Oh, it's just like Kyle Katarn! Why can't you ever just play an every day Jedi!!!?

Never mind. If it has multi-play and it works like Baldur's Gate, then one person plays the 'central' character and the other players play his friends, and they can be anything they like.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 26th, 2002 at 11:50 AM

Old Post May 26th, 2002 10:13 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mujaffa
Lift a Mullah

just say a trailer from the game........... amasing
this game is better than Outcast

"Get on the bus with Leary and Scorcese, you're goin' right to ****in' hell!" Chikushoo

Old Post May 26th, 2002 11:40 AM
Click here to Send Mujaffa a Private Message Find more posts by Mujaffa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

So it is a one person "shoot" them up jedi way kind of game. I will be a sith for sure cool

Old Post May 27th, 2002 06:37 AM
Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Yeah that would be fun.

I like the part where it says if you stay on the path of the dark long enough maybe you'll become the next Sith lord!!!

Old Post May 27th, 2002 04:35 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Huh??/ It's not a 'shoot' them up at all! It's an RPG!

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 27th, 2002 05:13 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

It has shoot-em-up in it, but at it's heart it is an expansive RPG.

Old Post May 27th, 2002 05:59 PM
Julie
The Student

shoot 'em ups are cool, I'm not really sure I've played that many RPGs...but Knights is definately on my to buy list.......the only questions are will I be able to get decent grades in college....or will my life be oriented aroung KOTOR

Old Post Jun 7th, 2002 06:50 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Anyone interested in KOTOR and who had cash to spare may want to look at the new game Neverwinter Nights.

As I have mentioned before, KOTOR is being done by the same people who did the award winning Baldur's Gate RPG computer game, its sequel, and full expansion packs for both. These games were based on the Dungeons and Dragons system, in the same way KOTOR is based on the Star Wars roleplaying system.

Neverwinter Nights is their brand new D&D computer role-playing game.

As both of those Role-playing systems are now owned by Wizards of the Coast they use virtually the same rules, and Neverwinter Nights reflects this. So basically KOTOR will be very similar to NN indeed, only with lightsabres instead of swords and the Force instead of magic, and classes like Jedi Guardian instead of Fighter.

Neverwinter Nights, aside from offering some 60 hours or more of gameplay in a huge, non-linear immersive story that can be played on your own or with friends, just as the excellent Baldur's Gate games did before it, also now has a full 3-d engine (the same one KOTOR will have) and a full editor which allows you to create your own stories and act as Gamesmaster as other people play through them.

If KOTOR has the same thing I will be a very happy man.

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2002 07:54 PM
REXXXX
Networking

What I want is a few games on GC for once. And NOW!!! LucasArts is giving GameCube players Jedi Outcast in winter, and then Gladius, Clone Wards, and Red Rock later. I WANT THEM NOW AND I WANT KOTOR TO BE AMONG THEM! mad

I don't have a 3d accelerator card, so that's why I'm pissed. mad mad

Old Post Jun 28th, 2002 08:14 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok, we get that... doesn't quite change my point about people checking out Neverwinter Nights, though!

BtVS

Old Post Jun 28th, 2002 08:18 PM
REXXXX
Networking

Cool! Neverwinter Nights sounds interesting. I'll check it out if I ever get it on GameCube.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2002 11:14 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Julie
The Student

Neverwinter Nights sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick to KotOR just because that should take me long enough.....
Morrowwind is another RPG game ....it's kinda boring if your just watching though

Old Post Jun 29th, 2002 03:18 PM
REXXXX
Networking

There is also Freedom Force, but I've only seen my friend mess around on that by destroying buildings and so on. You are super-heroes. "The Ant" sounds disturbingly like Spiderman. It is an RPG I think. You have three or more super heroes and you order them around (attacks, movements, etc.). You can destroy everything, from rocks to lamp posts, from cars to buildings.

I told my friend to stop destroying buildings, it looked too much like September 11th was being reanacted on his computer.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2002 04:15 PM