KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » James Bond Series » I don't understand what's so great about Connery.

I don't understand what's so great about Connery.
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
brakeonthroo

I mean Roger Moore was witty, and Daniel Craig is bad ass, and Pierce Brosnan is just Pierce, but Connery is where the inspiration to find the next good bond comes from!!

Matt

Old Post May 2nd, 2008 06:25 PM
brakeonthroo is currently offline Click here to Send brakeonthroo a Private Message Find more posts by brakeonthroo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

but that's just because he was the first, so he is always the best bond...

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 3rd, 2008 10:37 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Connery is overrated (as James Bond). His films simply aren't the best, although From Russia... is probably somewhere in the top 5. I still like the rest of his movies, though. There's no such thing as a non-entertaining Bond movie.

My favorite Bonds:

1: Daniel Craig
2: Pierce Brosnan
3: Roger Moore
4: Sean Connery
5: Tim dalton
6: George Lazenby

I love Roger Moore's Bond because he did away with the cold blooded hitman theme and made Bond more human and compassionate. I also loved the humour. Sure, this is not the Bond people wanted to see, but I thought it was a cool and different interpretation that still worked within the formula. With that said, I'm cool with Daniel Craig returning Bond to his old self, because he did it so incredibly well.

couldn't have said it better myself

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post May 5th, 2008 01:47 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by brakeonthroo
I mean Roger Moore was witty, and Daniel Craig is bad ass, and Pierce Brosnan is just Pierce, but Connery is where the inspiration to find the next good bond comes from!!

Matt

yeah Pierce was just Pierce thats why he was always such a horrible Bond. sick

Old Post May 24th, 2008 07:22 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

but still better than sucky moore

James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 25th, 2008 12:01 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Err no Moore was farrrrrrrrrr better.if Moore had been the first Bond to have played the role,he would NEVER have had people criticise him like they did after he took over.He only gets it because people hated to see Connery go and they wanted Moore to be just like him which is impossible,which Moore knew so he brought his own unique and cool style to the table.also Moore and conney are the two best Bonds to have ever played the role.any true james Bond fan knows that if you go to any james bond forum that it always comes down between moore and connery as to who was the best bond with connery usually always winning.

Last edited by Mr Parker on May 27th, 2008 at 03:56 PM

Old Post May 27th, 2008 03:51 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

well if it wasnt for Connery bond would not have been that famouse. I like Moore better then Daniel Craig

Old Post May 28th, 2008 09:45 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

moore has an unique and cool style? Come on, he made it rediculous!

Old Post May 28th, 2008 02:41 PM
MJOILNIR

Connery is the Bond by which all others are judged by and always will be..I liked Craig, I think he id a good job at portraying Bond in the beginning..A cold,overconfident bastard...

Old Post Jul 30th, 2008 02:09 AM
MJOILNIR is currently offline Click here to Send MJOILNIR a Private Message Find more posts by MJOILNIR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Jovan
moore has an unique and cool style? Come on, he made it rediculous!

yes he did and no that was Brosnan that made it rediculous. roll eyes (sarcastic) Like that other guy said so well,Brosnan was just being Brosnan,Moore at least portrayed Bond.you know that you just dont like Moore cause he replaced the legendary Connery you did not want to see go.you can deny it all you want,but your just fooling yourself.we both know that if Moore was the first,you wouldnt have nothing bad to say about him as Bond.If Moore had been the first Bond,HE would be the one that every Bond fan "including yourself" would be judging as the standard for Bond to live up to his greatness and not Connerys.

Last edited by Mr Parker on Aug 2nd, 2008 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2008 07:09 PM
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Err no Moore was farrrrrrrrrr better.if Moore had been the first Bond to have played the role,he would NEVER have had people criticise him like they did after he took over.He only gets it because people hated to see Connery go and they wanted Moore to be just like him which is impossible,which Moore knew so he brought his own unique and cool style to the table.also Moore and conney are the two best Bonds to have ever played the role.any true james Bond fan knows that if you go to any james bond forum that it always comes down between moore and connery as to who was the best bond with connery usually always winning.

again this must be repeated since your in denial Jovan that Moore was a great Bond. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2008 07:19 PM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Personally, I'm not a fan of Moore. He wasn't terrible, but to me he was never that memorable either. I'd put him in the bottom three if I were to make a list. Dalton and Lazenby at the bottom, then Moore probably.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 03:29 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Re: I don't understand what's so great about Connery.

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I mean, he doesn't even have a British accent.

Yes, he does... he just doesn't have an English accent.

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Aug 16th, 2008 07:19 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

im alone in this, and im fine with it..but as much as i like the charisma Connery has, and let show in his Bond..
Dalton is my favourite - he had the hard job of following Moore - the very hard job, but his Bond to me was bloody awsome.
First half of Living Daylights ws the start of one of the best spy movies ever btw, only midway through the 2nd act did it go all..Bond.

Dalton
Moore
Craig

-others

Old Post Aug 17th, 2008 01:00 AM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Personally, I'm not a fan of Moore. He wasn't terrible, but to me he was never that memorable either. I'd put him in the bottom three if I were to make a list. Dalton and Lazenby at the bottom, then Moore probably.

Okay that's fair.that's reasonable.that's being much more reasonable than Tovan has been.To say he was terrible is just being idiotic,ludicrous and ignorant.But to say he wasn't memorable,then yeah,that's fair and I got no problem with that,its just when people go and say ludicrous things like he was horrible and ridiculous is when I have a problem with their posts cause as i said before,they carefully screened him and several actors as well before making the good decision to replace Connery with Moore before making the selection of Moore.They took a look at all the other work Moore did as an actor first which he did a lot of film work before Bond before making their decision.

They wanted to make sure they had a very good actor to carry it on before they resumed the Bond films.I recently re-watched all the connery/moore bond movies,some of them I hadn't seen in at least 10 years,others as long as 20 so I didn't remember some of them very well.Now after recently re-watching them all again,I noticed that of all the connery/moore bond films,octopussy with moore is the ONLY Bond movie where Bond gets angry over what a villain is about to do when he says-I am more concerned with that missile going off at an American air force base.I suppose that this little accident you have planned,that it doesnt even matter to you that thousands of innocent people will be killed? and then later when he is trying to stop the bomb from going off,he says-Damnit let me go,there's a bomb in there.I got goosebumps over the way he delivered his lines.

He showed he can do drama very well.Cause I have seen films before where an actor has said similiar lines to that effect cause the situation was similiar and they were very unconvincing to me in the way they delivered their lines during those tense moments,failing to give me goosebumps during that time like Moore did. smile

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 09:41 PM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

by Tovan I take you mean Jovan (me) smile

Well, the reason I don't like Moore at all is because (perhaps he couldn't help about it though) the movies he made were rediculous. Connery played it serious with a humorous tone here and there... with Moore it's humor with here and there a fragment of storyline. To me Bond is a spy, dark and gritty and compensates sometimes with a humorous line here and there. Moore (or at least the scripts he got) took it WAY too far.
The reason people don't like Dalton is because he brought it back to being serious...
Than you have Brosnan continuing that line but returning to silly with Die Another Day and than you Craig doing serious again and people love it (again).
Funny to see the trend here in my opinion big grin

Old Post Aug 18th, 2008 11:17 PM
Dataflux

Here's the secret to these kinds of debates:

Most of the time, when people say they pref x actor in x role is because it was the one they saw first.

It's the same thing for any long running movie or TV series.

For example, with Star Trek those who like Picard started with Picard as their first captain. So on and so forth.

It's the same thing with James Bond.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 07:51 PM
Dataflux is currently offline Click here to Send Dataflux a Private Message Find more posts by Dataflux Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hes the greatest, hands down...

"The wait is over."

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2008 02:17 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Camden

I like Moore and Brosnan best. They seem more grittier than a lot of Connerys.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2008 01:47 AM
Camden is currently offline Find more posts by Camden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shokosugi
Restricted

Account Restricted

it must be the Accent... my namesh Bond..Jamesh Bond.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2008 11:42 PM
shokosugi is currently offline Click here to Send shokosugi a Private Message Find more posts by shokosugi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote