KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » James Bond Series » I don't understand what's so great about Connery.

I don't understand what's so great about Connery.
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Wanderer11
Stalker

To be honest I do not think there is much between Connery and Moore. I tend to favour Moore a bit as he was the Bond that I grew up on.

Thanks to Scythe for the sig and avatar.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2008 12:30 AM
Wanderer11 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer11 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

well said.same here.I assume you meant to say much DIFFERENCE right?

Last edited by Mr Parker on Oct 22nd, 2008 at 06:41 PM

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2008 06:39 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer11
Stalker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mr Parker
well said.same here.I assume you meant to say much DIFFERENCE right?

I did.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2008 10:27 PM
Wanderer11 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer11 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer11 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

What's the big deal with Roger Moore? I liked him but I could never see that guy being a big top secret agent... he just doesn't look tough enough

but yeah I think connery may be a bit overrated. He's definetely better than Moore, Dalton and Lazensby (or however the hell you spell his name) but I actually really liked Brosnan with Craig being my favorite

Thanks Vinny!

Last edited by Spartan005 on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 04:49 PM

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 04:47 PM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luminatus
Restricted

Account Restricted

Craig's too much an action hero and not enough of the "Bond charm".

Brosnan and Connery were the total package.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2008 09:38 PM
Luminatus is currently offline Click here to Send Luminatus a Private Message Find more posts by Luminatus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BUSTER1

I reckon Connery is the best Bond. As a child (I'm 35 now) I liked Moore the best, as he was then the current bond, and i liked his witty humour. As I got older though, I began to appreciate what Connery brought to the role. He had more charisma, and he had an inherent toughness (in real life he was a womanising brawler-well hes was brought up in Edinbrugh) which made his Bond far more formidable. The sort of person who would be good to go out with on a Friday night, getting drunk and trying to pull women. Moore is still a close 2nd however.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2008 09:30 PM
BUSTER1 is currently offline Click here to Send BUSTER1 a Private Message Find more posts by BUSTER1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Originally posted by Luminatus

except Brosnans acting was just horrible.He wasnt the package at all.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2008 10:28 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer11
Stalker

Originally posted by Mr Parker
except Brosnans acting was just horrible.He wasnt the package at all.

In my list of the best Bonds, Brosnan is behind only Moore and Connery.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2008 07:00 AM
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I think brosnan has a lot of bond-charm but had sucky stories (everytime it was a wmd... where's the time the story was about mi6 knowing it was a trap and sending bond in to play along and hope it would work out?)

Originally posted by Luminatus

and here too I think it is because of the stories: Craig hasn't gotten a story yet where he can use the bond charm, up till now it was hectic and revenge...

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2008 11:42 PM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Connery is the most charming. He is both parts ruthlessness and coolness, which none of the other Bonds have(including Craig)

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 01:58 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

I saw Connery first but I liked Brosnan best. I think he had some crappy follow up movies after Goldeneye (which I think is one of the better Bond movies) but I still like his Bond the best. Connery next. Then Moore.

I don't really fancy Craig's too much but I don't know if it him or the reboot seeming to be so unBondlike to me

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 07:09 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

1. Craig
2. Connery
3. Moore
4. Dalton
5. Brosnan

Haven't seen OHMSS yet.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 11:00 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SupremeMan

Originally posted by sithsaber408
I was going to say something really nasty, but then I noticed that you're only 16.

Don't worry about it kid, just watch the ones that you like, and when you get around 21 or so watch 'em again.

You'll like Connery the best too. cool

Its funny you should say that. Moore was my first James Bond back when I was a teenager. That was "The Man With The Golden Gun" which I saw on tv. The first one I saw at the theater was "The Spy Who Loved Me." When I finally saw a Connery Bond, I didn't like him. I thought he was basically a thug in a suit. I later really liked the Dalton Bond because he came across the most like the books in my opinion.

But then much, much later, rewatching the movies, I saw things I hadn't noticed as a teenager. I began to realize the little nuances Connery brought to the role. Moore was just too tongue -in-cheek (even though seeing him in interviews I really like him on a personal level), Lazenby too wooden, Dalton had the cold-bloodedness down at times but without any humor about it, Brosnan was suave but sort of Connery-lite. Craig in the restart has the advantage of playing Bond in a whole different dramatic atmosphere. He's good but, as one woman I know put it, he's more neanderthal than any actor that ever played Bond before.

Connery had the "I'd as soon kill you as look at you" attitude of a professional assassin yet he had a way of 'letting the audience in on it' with a quick facial expression or a smirk but without going overboard and playing it only for laughs like Moore later did.

Now, all that said, I have to agree with something Desmond Llewelyn (Q) once said when asked which actor of the ones he knew (all of them except Craig) was the best Bond. Of course he said the diplomatic 'All of them brought different good qualities to the role' type stuff but then he said, "I cannot tell you who was the best but I can tell you who most fans think was the best- whichever one they saw first."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2009 01:45 PM
SupremeMan is currently offline Click here to Send SupremeMan a Private Message Find more posts by SupremeMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SupremeMan

Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
I saw Connery first but I liked Brosnan best. I think he had some crappy follow up movies after Goldeneye (which I think is one of the better Bond movies) but I still like his Bond the best. Connery next. Then Moore.

I don't really fancy Craig's too much but I don't know if it him or the reboot seeming to be so unBondlike to me

I've got to admit that, once I saw them all, I really loved the days when Bond was going up against Spectre and Smersh. In some respects, taking Bond out of the 1960s is like taking Sherlock Holmes out of the Victorian era.

When you think about it, even by Dalton's era, the Bond movies were undergoing a soft reboot. Dalton went up against some sub-division of the KGB that had a name that basically amounted to SMERSH and I found it kind of sad that they almost had to pretend this was something new and wondered why they couldn't just say, 'So I'm going up against Smersh again."

Even when I was in college starting in the late 1970s, it was the Moore era and I discovered Bond. I watched the old movies but I was surprised when my friends and I went to see "For Your Eyes Only". At the start of the movie, I whispered to my friends, "You know who that is, right?" Referring to the guy in the wheelchair with the white cat. None of them knew. Just as they never knew Bond had been married. So I found myself saying, Blofeld, its supposed to be Blofeld. This is the tenth anniversary of their last encounter." Of course the response was, "Who's Blofeld?" That was before they started watching Bond movies and they weren't interested enough to watch the older ones.

Sigh. I do think the new Bond movies are great on their own merits but its sort of sad when the parodies seem more like a James Bond movie than the Bond movies do.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2009 02:10 PM
SupremeMan is currently offline Click here to Send SupremeMan a Private Message Find more posts by SupremeMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Damn I cant believe this old dead thread is being brought back AGAIN.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2009 10:53 PM
Wanderer11
Stalker

Originally posted by Darth Martin

Haven't seen OHMSS yet. [/B]

OHMSS is essential viewing.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 02:37 AM
Lord Shadow Z

I never warmed to Connery's performances, he just played it dead, without any charisma or sense of importance to how the scene was going. He has memorable moments in the films though ('do you expect me to talk?') and would usually come to life only when the woman were wheeled out before him.

Even Dalton, who many people considered to be wooden or too cold gave the plot more of himself than Connery.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2009 10:25 AM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote