KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Batman's fighting style

Batman's fighting style
Started by: braz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Batman's fighting style

Batmans fighting style in "Batman Begins" was adopted from the Keysi fighting method, and it really worked well with Batman because of the tight movements it employs, mainly because of the unconforatability of the costume. my question is though, do yall think Batman could learn other fighting styles mixed in with the Keysi's brutal ways, like Jeet Kune do or Taekwondo? or would that be like impossible because of the restrictions of the suit..??

what do yall think? confused

cuz i would love to see Batman do some really cool moves, if possible.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 07:33 PM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

I'm fmilair with Jeet Kune Do and have studied and earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but I really think I would have to be in the suit to make a wise descision.

Old Post Dec 22nd, 2006 11:26 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Martin
I'm fmilair with Jeet Kune Do and have studied and earned a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, but I really think I would have to be in the suit to make a wise descision.

really?
thats cool.

well yea, that is true i guess, but i think it should be made to be able to perform any fighting style IMO, because it even said in the visual guide that it allows surprising freedom of movement. if only they could just somehow make it foreal with what they really make it out of for the movie to move around like that.

idunno, it will be interesting to see in this next film. and it may not even be possible, but still even if its not, i would just like the scenes to be better by moving the camera back and making the scenes longer, and not just a big blur.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:29 AM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Or.....(WARNING!-This may sound stupid) make it CGI.

You know how they have made NBA games. Or how you made The Hulk or Gollam in LOTR? Have a stunt coordinator(or Bale) put on that suit w/ all the lights on it and film fighting like that. Then add the costume on CGI. It would make fight scenes look better. They did this in the Matrix, not saying make it all slow-motion in everything lol. Just a thought.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:40 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

You know how they have made NBA games. Or how you made The Hulk or Gollam in LOTR? Have a stunt coordinator(or Bale) put on that suit w/ all the lights on it and film fighting like that. Then add the costume on CGI. It would make fight scenes look better. They did this in the Matrix, not saying make it all slow-motion in everything lol. Just a thought.

thats actually a damn good idea, i wouldnt be surprised if they did that. but would it still look real? but i know what ur talking about cuz i saw it on Rob & Big. big grin with all the balls and stuff. wink

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:47 AM
Darth Martin

Not sure but Gollam looked **** good in the films(Neo didn't sigh). They should try it.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:54 AM
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

hms. its worth a shot i guess. i just hope Nolan would be up for something like that, considering he wants to portray Batman in such a realistic fashion.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 01:59 AM
Deadline

Well to tell the truth if Batman is based on a ninja then even in the comic his fighting style is not accurate in regards of how it should be. Ninjas had to infilitrate castles with loads of guards they dont have time for punching or kicking, therefore every move they made either killed or maimed.

Batman does not fight like that in the comics or the movies. In some senses I dont think his fighting style was very good it was too jerky and abrupt. For somebody whp practices meditation and ninjuitsu it should have been more graceful and flowing.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 12:31 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Yea, he should have used his shuriken more often. Good example of how ninja should fight is in "The Last Sammurai".

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 03:17 PM
bakerboy

In the comics, batman fighting style is a mix of several fight styles and martial arts. In batman begins, it was a ninja style mixed with another martial arts style. It was very clever because the ninjas has an style very close to batman style.

John Lennon, Musical genius of all time

Helen Mirren and Julie Christie , most lovely british actresses of all time.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 04:13 PM
bakerboy is currently offline Click here to Send bakerboy a Private Message Find more posts by bakerboy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Greetings, As a martial artist myself, Batman can learn many styles to go with the keysi style. In Batman Begins Bruce Wayne does say he learned other styles, so combined with the fact that he is a ninja, The keysi style works very well.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2006 08:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sindahouse

From memory, I believe it was Wizard Magazine, 1997 that mentioned his fighting skills. Batman primary fighting technique is Jeet Kune Do. However he uses Aikedo for the grabs and bone breaking, and he is a big fan of the Tae Kwan Do kicks.

I think I have the mag floating around somewhere. Should look it up and quote it.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 02:35 AM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Originally posted by sindahouse
From memory, I believe it was Wizard Magazine, 1997 that mentioned his fighting skills. Batman primary fighting technique is Jeet Kune Do. However he uses Aikedo for the grabs and bone breaking, and he is a big fan of the Tae Kwan Do kicks.

I think I have the mag floating around somewhere. Should look it up and quote it.

nooiiice..! wink i loooove Jeet Kune Do, it just looks so tight watching it, and Aikido is def good, because it can be used to take down opponents who are significantly stronger than u, and Batman seems to run into that often(Bane, Killer Croc) and Tae Kwon Do, u just cant leave that out, its kicks are so awesome.
nice info, and thx for it. cool

Old Post Jan 13th, 2007 03:30 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: Batman's fighting style

Originally posted by braz
Batmans fighting style in "Batman Begins" was adopted from the Keysi fighting method, and it really worked well with Batman because of the tight movements it employs, mainly because of the unconforatability of the costume. my question is though, do yall think Batman could learn other fighting styles mixed in with the Keysi's brutal ways, like Jeet Kune do or Taekwondo? or would that be like impossible because of the restrictions of the suit..??

what do yall think? confused

cuz i would love to see Batman do some really cool moves, if possible.
I like Batmans fighting style nonetheless. Whether its from the movies or comics.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2007 10:33 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Re: Re: Batman's fighting style

Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
I like Batmans fighting style nonetheless. Whether its from the movies or comics.

yea, all those other martial arts styles are cool for comic Batman, but im actually happy now with the style given to him in Batman Begins because it matched the tone of the movie, real brutal, raw and gritty, and it gave him an edge that i liked that kinda compares to Darth Vader and the Djiem So lightsaber fighting style that he mastered which is real aggressive and brutal. i just wish the cameras were moved back some and the cuts made longer so we could see the whole thing and what was actually happening.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2007 11:40 PM
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

My personal thoughts (I've some martial arts experience ....2 decades worth).

The style Batman used in the movie BB was, in my opinion, perfect for the character archetype he (actually the movie makers) were trying to allude to. That of the efficient fighter who can take down an opponent(s) ruthlessly with optimized efficacy.

Hence, that style.

If you look at REAL fights (I am not talking about Karate Kumite tournaments, which are far from real, or even UFC type bouts which are more realistic but still not the same as an actual street fight) you'll notice several things. Real fights are fast, they are hard, they are brutal, and they are not pretty.

You will NOT see a Taekwondo style Ax kick in a real street fight (unless your opponent is a total fool and just stands there like some imbercile). You will NOT see a Capoiera style flying sweep, nor a Hapkido jumping 480-degree crescent kick, nor a Karate style reverse punch.

In a real fight the moves will be simple, will be fast, and will NOT win awards for 'fluffiness' or being pretty.

Now, if you look at movie fights it is all about cinematic appeal. That is what has been shown for around 4 decades now (with the exception being the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon where he tried to show some realism, and to a lesser extent the half-finished 'Game of Death' where in the 20-30 minute scene showing him - for the rest of the movie they used a standin since Lee had already died - Lee tries to expound upon the concepts of JKD against other styles). Anyways, most movies have always gone for the flashier aspects of martial arts.

The main impetus for this is simple .....flashy moves look good on the silver screen (or on your telly for that matter). If one has ever seen some adept exponent do an Ax kick, or a Savate practioner do a sweep kick, or virtually any move from capoiera, or any move from ANY style of Northern Gungfu, then you will know it looks good.

Compare those moves with those of Krav Maga for example. The bloody style is UGLY. There are no kicks above the knee, the movements do not have complex names, and you don't spend 30 minutes getting in touch with you chi. Or combat sambo ...same thing. Or some of the more modern Close Quarter Combat styles taught to the Marine Expeditionary Units. Add to this some styles of ninjitsu (although the two major styles taught today tend to have some 'flashy' moves added to them that are straight from the movies, but traditionary ninjitsu wasn't flashy ....although they did have some ingenious devices).

Anyways, the move makers were probably trying to go for realism ....and in the process they went for a style that wasn't as flashy as expected.

Although to be honest I think that if they had had Batman doing Ax kicks and flying Mortal Kombat style moves it would HAVE BEEN fake. It would have looked weird.

The only way flashy moves would have worked is if they (as someone posted) used CG, and the thing about CG is that when it is good it is REALLY good, but when it is bad .....oh boy!

I think the compromise they settled on was alright.

As for them not showing the moves he was making, I think the reason for that is if they did they would have seemed even more pathetic since most movie-goers would have been more disappointed that they already were.

However I think next time round they will probably try to incorporate some clever CG to give Batman some of his comicbook exploits (which by the way are also not 'flashy' ....they are more along the lines of impossible, but you don't see Batman doing Ax kicks in the comics either. ......now, Nightwing is another case, and Batgirl does stunts that even a Capoeira master on freakin' drugs couldn't even imagine yet alone attempt).

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 02:28 PM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Originally posted by spetznaz
My personal thoughts (I've some martial arts experience ....2 decades worth).

The style Batman used in the movie BB was, in my opinion, perfect for the character archetype he (actually the movie makers) were trying to allude to. That of the efficient fighter who can take down an opponent(s) ruthlessly with optimized efficacy.

Hence, that style.

If you look at REAL fights (I am not talking about Karate Kumite tournaments, which are far from real, or even UFC type bouts which are more realistic but still not the same as an actual street fight) you'll notice several things. Real fights are fast, they are hard, they are brutal, and they are not pretty.

You will NOT see a Taekwondo style Ax kick in a real street fight (unless your opponent is a total fool and just stands there like some imbercile). You will NOT see a Capoiera style flying sweep, nor a Hapkido jumping 480-degree crescent kick, nor a Karate style reverse punch.

In a real fight the moves will be simple, will be fast, and will NOT win awards for 'fluffiness' or being pretty.

Now, if you look at movie fights it is all about cinematic appeal. That is what has been shown for around 4 decades now (with the exception being the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon where he tried to show some realism, and to a lesser extent the half-finished 'Game of Death' where in the 20-30 minute scene showing him - for the rest of the movie they used a standin since Lee had already died - Lee tries to expound upon the concepts of JKD against other styles). Anyways, most movies have always gone for the flashier aspects of martial arts.

The main impetus for this is simple .....flashy moves look good on the silver screen (or on your telly for that matter). If one has ever seen some adept exponent do an Ax kick, or a Savate practioner do a sweep kick, or virtually any move from capoiera, or any move from ANY style of Northern Gungfu, then you will know it looks good.

Compare those moves with those of Krav Maga for example. The bloody style is UGLY. There are no kicks above the knee, the movements do not have complex names, and you don't spend 30 minutes getting in touch with you chi. Or combat sambo ...same thing. Or some of the more modern Close Quarter Combat styles taught to the Marine Expeditionary Units. Add to this some styles of ninjitsu (although the two major styles taught today tend to have some 'flashy' moves added to them that are straight from the movies, but traditionary ninjitsu wasn't flashy ....although they did have some ingenious devices).

Anyways, the move makers were probably trying to go for realism ....and in the process they went for a style that wasn't as flashy as expected.

Although to be honest I think that if they had had Batman doing Ax kicks and flying Mortal Kombat style moves it would HAVE BEEN fake. It would have looked weird.

The only way flashy moves would have worked is if they (as someone posted) used CG, and the thing about CG is that when it is good it is REALLY good, but when it is bad .....oh boy!

I think the compromise they settled on was alright.

As for them not showing the moves he was making, I think the reason for that is if they did they would have seemed even more pathetic since most movie-goers would have been more disappointed that they already were.

However I think next time round they will probably try to incorporate some clever CG to give Batman some of his comicbook exploits (which by the way are also not 'flashy' ....they are more along the lines of impossible, but you don't see Batman doing Ax kicks in the comics either. ......now, Nightwing is another case, and Batgirl does stunts that even a Capoeira master on freakin' drugs couldn't even imagine yet alone attempt).

i agree, but about them not showing the moves and the actual hits, i think the reason for this was because they went for a more realistic look for the fights which involved it to be much quicker like an actual fight with 8 guys would be, so the hits were probably coming in too hard and they couldnt actually land them w/o hurting cast members, so they moved in the camera so u couldnt see them. idunno, thats just my opinion. i like the realism effect they went for and how Batmans like a blur when he fights, but it wasnt that entertaining to be honest. if theres any way possible that they could coreograph it better to see the hits while keeping it fast and brutal, then that would be great. if not, then i guess u just cant get everything u want, u win some n ya lose some, ya kno.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 05:57 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: Re: Re: Batman's fighting style

Originally posted by braz
yea, all those other martial arts styles are cool for comic Batman, but im actually happy now with the style given to him in Batman Begins because it matched the tone of the movie, real brutal, raw and gritty, and it gave him an edge that i liked that kinda compares to Darth Vader and the Djiem So lightsaber fighting style that he mastered which is real aggressive and brutal. i just wish the cameras were moved back some and the cuts made longer so we could see the whole thing and what was actually happening.
TRUE TRUE

Old Post Jan 17th, 2007 11:09 PM
sindahouse

Fact is, a real fight is ugly. Nothing flash. Generally first real hit wins, ands its never hollywood specs. Hair pulling, biting, bottle smashing, chair throwing. Whatever does the job. Its not hard. Just gotta be crazy enough not to worry about the circumstances

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 12:34 PM
sindahouse is currently offline Click here to Send sindahouse a Private Message Find more posts by sindahouse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blind
Only Settle for Victory

didn't they do some of that in Blade 2?

I thought it looked pretty sweet there.

~AntiMatter Corps~

Old Post Jan 19th, 2007 08:34 PM
Blind is currently offline Click here to Send Blind a Private Message Find more posts by Blind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote