KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil
Started by: chillmeistergen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Tom Bombadil

Was anybody else a bit annoyed that he wasn't featured in the movies, even in the extended version. I mean the movies were still absolutely spectacular but I feel that the prescence of Bombadil and Goldberry would have made it more so.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2007 01:47 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree, that and the scouring of the shire would have been nice. PJ filemd the entire Scouring part but decided to not put it in, as he didn't like it. That's what I heard anyway.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2007 03:07 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah definately. But I suppose if they had put all of the content from the books into the movies alot of good dialogue etc would need to be cut and other areas of the film would suffer

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jan 24th, 2007 07:37 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Films are notoriously hard to edit down from source material, due to length. The extended cut was already 3:30 and had to lose a lot of stuff.

Bombadil's sweet, but does his idiom really mesh with anything in the film?

No.

I agree completely with the decision. I love Tom too, but that had to be one of the easiest decisions for Jackson. Now, the Scouring on the other hand would have been a nice touch....but meh.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 04:38 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Films are notoriously hard to edit down from source material, due to length. The extended cut was already 3:30 and had to lose a lot of stuff.

Bombadil's sweet, but does his idiom really mesh with anything in the film?

No.

I agree completely with the decision. I love Tom too, but that had to be one of the easiest decisions for Jackson. Now, the Scouring on the other hand would have been a nice touch....but meh.

Couldn't agree more. He is a great character in the books but to have him in the films would only be confusing. At least for those who are not familiar with the story and don't know who he is. There would only be room for maybe 7 minutes of Tom Bombadil in a movie and it would only raise questions. Like "Who the hell is that guy" stick out tongue
the movie wouldn't gain anything on it.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2007 07:42 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

Re: Tom Bombadil

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Was anybody else a bit annoyed that he wasn't featured in the movies, even in the extended version. I mean the movies were still absolutely spectacular but I feel that the prescence of Bombadil and Goldberry would have made it more so.

No. Bombadil had no role in the plot what so ever. He slowed down the books big time. Every character in the movie had some role to play out expect Tom and Goldberry. That would have slowed down the flow of the movies a LOT.

Really the movies were done the best they could. Jackson couldn't added in the Scourging since the extended version is already 4+ hours long. How much more do you want? Besides it makes more since for Saruman to die in the land he destroyed trying to bring about the second darkness.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 09:25 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Tom Bombadil

Originally posted by ESB -1138
No. Bombadil had no role in the plot what so ever. He slowed down the books big time. Every character in the movie had some role to play out expect Tom and Goldberry. That would have slowed down the flow of the movies a LOT.

Really the movies were done the best they could. Jackson couldn't added in the Scourging since the extended version is already 4+ hours long. How much more do you want? Besides it makes more since for Saruman to die in the land he destroyed trying to bring about the second darkness.

He did play a pretty big part in the books, for instance he was raised in the council as to what to do with the ring as a possibility of looking after it. He also symbolises the creation of man in middle earth as he is the only one immune to the rings powers and this could have given the audience a more clear idea of the structure of middle earth.

-AC

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 12:10 PM
The Secret Fire
Diverse, progress, change

Re: Re: Re: Tom Bombadil

He did play a pretty big part in the books, for instance he was raised in the council as to what to do with the ring as a possibility of looking after it. He also symbolises the creation of man in middle earth as he is the only one immune to the rings powers and this could have given the audience a more clear idea of the structure of middle earth.

True. Also Tolkien envisioned Tom as a nature-spirit that is expressive of the English countryside, which in Tolkien's time had begun to disappear (Tolkien loved trees a lot. This is shown throughout his books, in especial the ents)

On another note...

I love the chapters with Tom and the Scouring much too but I understand Peters decision's for not including them. The big ones being that they don't really fufill any purpose in the grand-scheme of things and that they slow down the pace of the movie big time.

Besides, it leaves a bit of mystery that is hard to have after seeing the films. Like I mean, it's hard to imagine your own version of Frodo, Gandalf or Mordor after you have seen the movies version. This way we can make Tom up ourselves and create our own Battle of the Shire

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 11:39 PM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

stick out tongue

Meh....I don't think that Tom would have worked as a character in the film.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2007 11:49 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

Woah I can sense your passion from here, Melcórë! Hardcore! Hahaha! wink big grin

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:48 AM
The Secret Fire is currently offline Click here to Send The Secret Fire a Private Message Find more posts by The Secret Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

stick out tongue

W00t for the least hardcore....
Meh, I didn't like Tom THAT much....he was an interesting character, but I can live without him....

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 12:50 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Secret Fire

Who's hardcore?: Mel-córë Pile on the cheese! Haha!

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 01:09 AM
The Rover

Wow....that was cheesy. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 01:23 AM
The Secret Fire

I've been doing some research...

Did you guys know that Tolkien even wanted Tom to be mysterious.

Excerpt:

Tolkien even seems to justify Tom Bombadil's presence:

"And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally)."[5]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bombadil

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 01:37 AM
The Rover

smile

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 01:38 AM
exanda kane

I agree with all that has been said as to why both Tom and Goldberry were kept out of the films. However, I must admit, I never really enjoyed the character in all his glory; he raises questions to which there were not straight forward answers and to me it never qute melded with the rest of the story.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 09:20 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Re: Re: Re: Tom Bombadil

-AC

&$** the?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2007 09:37 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom Bombadil

Originally posted by exanda kane
&$** the?

Haha, yeah this was when I first joined. I think my intention was to jip AC, it obviously failed. I actually think he's a good lad now, as well.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 01:39 AM
The Secret Fire

Originally posted by exanda kane
I agree with all that has been said as to why both Tom and Goldberry were kept out of the films. However, I must admit, I never really enjoyed the character in all his glory; he raises questions to which there were not straight forward answers and to me it never qute melded with the rest of the story.

True. But people must understand that Tolkien invented Tom for personal reasons and not to satisfy anyone else. He also didn't want everything to be known about him, he wanted him to be an enigma.

Also, Tolkien considers Tom unimportant to the story.

Tolkien said:

"Tom Bombadil is not an important person — to the narrative. I suppose he has some importance as a 'comment.' I mean, I do not really write like that: he is just an invention (who first appeared in The Oxford Magazine about 1933), and he represents something that I feel important, though I would not be prepared to analyse the feeling precisely. I would not, however, have left him in, if he did not have some kind of function."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bombadil

That "feeling" he is talking about there we know part of and is mentioned in my last post:

Tolkien envisioned Tom as a nature-spirit that is expressive of the English countryside, which in Tolkien's time had begun to disappear. Also, any Tolkien scholar will tell you that Tolkien had a deep love for trees. This is shown by the characters the Ents and Tom (among others).

So there you have it, from the man himself: Tom must have had some purpose otherwise Tolkien wouldn't have added him.

I love Tom. He's colourful, different and a total mystery smile

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 05:36 AM
Elessea

Haha, for some reason this thread reminds me of the old "Tom Bombadil is the Witch King!" Threads...Wonder if those are still around here someone...

Old Post Oct 30th, 2007 06:33 AM
Elessea is currently offline Click here to Send Elessea a Private Message Find more posts by Elessea Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote