KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu-ray Format Discussion

In 10 years, which format will win, if any?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu Ray 20 62.50%
HD-DVD 8 25.00%
Hard Drive Storage/Streaming Video 4 12.50%
Total: 32 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blu-ray Format Discussion
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

A lot of people don't have high hopes for either, more for the collectors/gadget mad really. Plus the dvd cases are ugly as hell.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2006 05:27 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
Plus the dvd cases are ugly as hell.

thumb up I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 02:52 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kram3r

Originally posted by MildPossession
Plus the dvd cases are ugly as hell.

100% agree. I just happened to see a Blu-ray showcase and I thought it delivered imagery that was brilliant then I saw the packaging and I thought "F*ck that". Plus, it's expensive as hell. I doubt Blu-ray will be the one to take off anyway. Especially since HD-DVD has an exclusive contract with Universal which will cut Blu-ray out of a part of the industry.

Poor Sony, their the Germany of formats. They lost the first Format War and I think they'll lose the second. Then again, The PS3 does play Blu-ray so that could save it. Who knows anyway it's too soon to judge.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 06:59 AM
Kram3r is currently offline Click here to Send Kram3r a Private Message Find more posts by Kram3r Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Ugh. Next generation is killing me.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 12:50 PM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Recent article said that the Blu-ray player i nthe PS3 drives up the prices of the console by $200 or more, and that people don't like not having a choice. Where as the HD add on for the 360 is seperate, and little under $200.

Personally, I'm still holding out for a HD-DVD player one of these days, but I hardly watch movies anymore, so I'm in no real hurry.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 03:55 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Last night I watched Punisher on blu-ray at my brother’s house. He has a 73 inch dlp tv cost him 4 grand and a 800 dollar sound system. It looked very nice. After seeing it the way it was mint to be played I'm rather confident that blu-ray is going to be successful.

I'll buy one eventually.

Old Post Dec 14th, 2006 04:15 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Do we have to buy a HD tv + player to get the best picture ? Cant we use our dvd players ? Thanks

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 02:35 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Originally posted by coolmovies
Do we have to buy a HD tv + player to get the best picture ? Cant we use our dvd players ? Thanks

You get better picture with HD-TV if the movie runs in HD. You also get better picture with HD-TV becuase the TV's are newer. But to get best all around picture you would want Blu-ray or HD-dvd with a 1080p tv. MMMmmmm so nice look.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 03:38 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

1080p sets don't come any smaller than 46", and that will set you back atleast $2,000 or more, depending on the brand. To be perfectly honest, if you get anything above a 50", you may as well get a screen and projector, unless you have a gargantuan living room, and a 7.1 surround set up, it's overkill.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Dec 15th, 2006 at 07:24 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 07:13 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

A very illuminating article and review on HD DVD player for the Xbox 360:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_X..._Search+Results

Worth a read! thumb up

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 07:21 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
A very illuminating article and review on HD DVD player for the Xbox 360:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_X..._Search+Results

Worth a read! thumb up

Still no HDMI and no 1080p I'm not getting it for my xbox

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 09:00 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Blu-ray isn't 1080p, either. Hell, for those who own 1080i sets like me, PS3 scales 1080I DOWN to 480p.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 10:13 PM
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Originally posted by The Core
Blu-ray isn't 1080p, either. Hell, for those who own 1080i sets like me, PS3 scales 1080I DOWN to 480p.

Dec 1, 2006 - Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray Player Released

Sony today announced that its first dedicated Blu-ray player, the BDP-S1, has begun shipping to major consumer electronics retailers and specialty dealers nationwide. The player is designed to deliver 1920×1080p output, the highest resolution HD signal currently available through an HDMI connection. Enhancing the entertainment experience further Sony's BD player outputs its signal at 24 frames per second, reproducing a film like image. The BDP-S1 is also backwards compatible with standard DVDs with the added feature of 1080p upscaling through HDMI, giving new life and improving the picture performance of existing DVD libraries. The new BD player will be available for about $1,000 at Sony Style stores nationwide, online at SonyStyle.com, and at authorized retailers across the country beginning next week.

http://www.blu-ray.com/

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 10:18 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Negative.

quote:
The player is designed to deliver 1920×1080p output, the highest resolution HD signal currently available through an HDMI connection.

That's been the biggest selling scam in the whole BR campaign. The players don't display in 1080p, they down convert 1080p signals to 1080, then display it in an "upscaled" 1080p signal. It loses progressive resolution, and ultimately displays softer, which would be the same as 1080i.

Sound and Vision Magazine

quote:
But Samsung confirms that the BD-P100 doesn't pull 1080p off the disc and send it directly to the output. (We're not sure why, but it may have to do with limitations of some of the player's internal video processing chips.) Besides the necessary frame-rate conversion, from the 24 fps of film to the 60 fps of standard video displays, the BD-P1000 converts the disc's 1080p to 1080i as an interim step, then converts it back to 1080p for output. So to an even greater than normal extent, it should not much matter whether a 1080p display receives a 1080i or a 1080p signal from this player, provided the set has a good deinterlacer. We certainly did not notice any difference between 1080i and 1080p feeds from the BD-P1000 to our 1080p-compliant reference TVs.

The 360 add on does 1080p through component cables, but most TV's aren't set up for that, anyway. Probably take care of that in the future. I actually have a set of Monster Cables that I run from my tv to my HD-DVR box that work better than the HDMI cable I had running from my TV to the upscaling DVD player.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Dec 15th, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 10:40 PM
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

That is just one blu-ray player. They all arn't going to be like that.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 10:57 PM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

That's indicitative of all the Samsung's right now, including the PS3.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2006 11:51 PM
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Originally posted by The Core
That's indicitative of all the Samsung's right now, including the PS3.
And in 5 years that will not be the case.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2006 06:24 PM
coolmovies

I saw the snowman on a HDTV. The picture improves alot if u watch a dvd on a HDTV .

Last edited by coolmovies on Dec 19th, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2006 11:44 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

HD-DVD or Blu Ray...or None of the Above?

http://practical-tech.com/entertain...e-of-the-above/

quote:
Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or None of the Above?

This holiday season, if you have big bucks for your home theater, you’re probably thinking about adding a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player to the entertainment center.

On the one side, Intel, Toshiba, and Microsoft are pushing HD-DVD while Blu-Ray has the full support of Samsung, Pioneer, and Sony. Or, if you want to look at your television as a gaming platform, you’ve got a choice of an add-on HD DVD player for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 game console or a built-in Blu-Ray for Sony PlayStation 3 game system.

You could always get both… but with standalone players running from $500 to $1,000, few people can afford that luxury. Blu-Ray, for now, is the more expensive of the pair. Both the Samsung Blu-ray Player: BD-P1000 and the Sony Blu-ray Player: BDP-S1 run a buck less than a grand. HD-DVD players, like the Toshiba HD DVD HD-A1, will set you back around $500.

So, what do you get from Blu-Ray for the extra $500? In two words: more space. Blu-Ray discs can hold 25GBs (gigabytes) of storage on a single-sided disc and 50GBs on a double-sided disc. HD-DVD discs, on the other hand, can only hold 15GBs on a single sided disc or 30GBs double-sided discs.

Even the 15GBs sound like a lot doesn’t it? Think again. 15GBs can handle up to four hours of HD video with MPEG4 compression but with today’s feature-loaded DVDs that’s not much.

Another plus in Blu-Ray’s favor is that, even though HD-DVD has all the first mover advantage of being out sooner and having, for now, more movies out, Blu-Ray has the support of more studios. To be exact, Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate have all announced titles for Blu-ray, while HD-DVD only has support from three of the major studios, Warner, Paramount and Universal.

Thus, as Blu-Ray’s factories catch up with the HD-DVD makers, Blu-Ray should offer people more movie selections. Will that be enough to make Blu-Ray the player that everyone will have in 2008? Or, will HD-DVD beating Blu-Ray to the market with a lower price keep it in the lead?

My answer? Neither one.

For all the hub-bub about the dueling disc formats, people seem to have ignored a simple fact. In your home theater today you can easily have access to over a terabyte, that’s a 1,000GBs, of media storage. The cost? Just over $500 for a Maxtor One Touch III Turbo 1 TB RAID External Hard Drive C01W010

Video isn’t going to stay on DVDs, HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, anymore than music stayed on CDs. Music has moved to the Internet, iPods and our PCs. The same thing is about to happen to video.

The technology to deliver video to your TV, without having a PC humming in the theater room, is already here. Unfortunately, media extenders, like the D-Link MediaLounge DSM-320 Wireless Media Player, require a good deal of technical elbow grease to get them to work well..

Apple is about to change all that. I expect the forthcoming Apple iTV to do for home video what the iPod did for music on the go.

And, if Apple doesn’t do it with the iTV, Microsoft has every plan to grab the online television and movie market with its new HDTV video services for the xBox 360.

It’s not just the computer companies, though, everyone, and I mean everyone, TV network, movie studios, you name it, are trying to find ways to deliver video over the Internet. Who will win? Darned if I know.

The one thing I do know though is that the future of video lies not on any DVD-format, but on the net and in gigantic hard drives. And, it’s a future that’s far, far closer than most people think.

this article is dated by a couple of months, but i decided to post it.
could it be that whoever wins the format 'wars' will ultimately share defeat?
this article speculates something which makes alot of sense to me.

the apple iTV, which will be coming out shortly, will work on the same principal as the ipod. so, rather than have removable media, you could download movies at 480 resolution (yeah i know thats not true hd, but thats irrelevant).
so, the movies will likely be cheaper than dvds, will be stored in a hard drive, and all available instantly...not to mention that music/internet would most likely be able to be integrated into it as well.

the point is, (assuming bandwidth wont be an issue) its more practicle. imho such a system would turn the media format industry upside down in the same way as mp3s have effected the record industry.

http://practical-tech.com/entertain...st-what-we-need

so the question: do you believe that in the next 10 years we will still be using disk format media for movies or will it turn exclusively digital? and for the hell of it, if you believe disk format will prevail, which one will?

Last edited by PVS on Jan 3rd, 2007 at 04:20 PM

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 04:17 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 04:59 PM