KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Blu-ray Format Discussion

In 10 years, which format will win, if any?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Blu Ray 20 62.50%
HD-DVD 8 25.00%
Hard Drive Storage/Streaming Video 4 12.50%
Total: 32 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blu-ray Format Discussion
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

yeah, this is a specific poll.
bluray, hddvd, or downloadable media

Last edited by PVS on Jan 3rd, 2007 at 05:14 PM

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 05:07 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

please disregard the last post. we are experienceing merger confusion. erm

Last edited by PVS on Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2007 11:18 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Dual Format Players?

http://news.independent.co.uk/busin...icle2125467.ece

Sorry if this is old news. I thought I'd throw it out there for those that didn't hear about this.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2007 09:25 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dirkdirden
Senor Membber

Thats just good news for the consumer. It would be nice of both HD-dvd and Blu-ray won the war.

Why do they still call it a dvd player?

"LG Electronics plans to launch a DVD player that will run both types of discs"

Old Post Jan 26th, 2007 09:36 PM
dirkdirden is currently offline Click here to Send dirkdirden a Private Message Find more posts by dirkdirden Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Because that's what it plays?

Anyway, the story is null and void, since the hybrid player has already been pulled, and pre-orders have been cancelled. It turns out that the LG player does NOT support HD-DVD features, just the movie. Meaning, you can't access anything other than the film

Maybe next year.

Old Post Jan 27th, 2007 03:58 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

I heard blu ray or hd dvd is a backward format what does that mean ??
I hope non of the formats win and yes i want dvds to live longer then vhs

Old Post Jan 28th, 2007 08:29 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Here it is - the dual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player.

http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/...=&langid=EN

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 04:56 PM
roughrider is online now! Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Nobodies going to pay $1,200 for that thing.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 05:36 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leggy_n_Merry
There is always hope

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wolfie
thumb up I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.

Yup they're really hideous.

In the HMV near me the HD DVD and Blu-ray section is only like one "block" (whatever it is). Only a very small percentage of the population must actually buy them. They're way too expensive, and as many people have mentioned you have to have all the other equipment to go with it which costs a fortune. I'm pefectly happy with DVDs and I think that speaks for the majority.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 07:19 PM
Leggy_n_Merry is currently offline Click here to Send Leggy_n_Merry a Private Message Find more posts by Leggy_n_Merry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by The Core
Nobodies going to pay $1,200 for that thing.

Yes, only the ones with more money than brains.

$1500 Canadian? I'm not looking again until they drop to at least $300.

In the meantime, I'm happy with my upgrading HDMI player.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 07:31 PM
roughrider is online now! Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

on the first page, many people were speaking as though Blue Ray and HD-DVD won't catch on (which is true for the majority)........but they attribute it to not everybody owning an HDTV.

Have you guys watched dvds on HDTV? They look fantastic. I haven't watched Blue Ray.....but the difference from HD-DVD to DVD on a HDTV is about a 5% improvement, mainly in contrast/sharpness. I'll keep using my Xbox to watch dvds on my LCD until the price of either of the new HD mediums are $60 for a player and $15 for the disc. There is absolutely no reason at all to go for the new HD mediums with such a big price difference compared to the very low quality improvement.

basicly......if you want a dvd that you can access the menus while you're still watching the movie, pay double for a HDDVD or a BR disc........but quality isn't an issue.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 09:55 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Leggy_n_Merry
There is always hope

Originally posted by Evil Dead
on the first page, many people were speaking as though Blue Ray and HD-DVD won't catch on (which is true for the majority)........but they attribute it to not everybody owning an HDTV.

Have you guys watched dvds on HDTV? They look fantastic. I haven't watched Blue Ray.....but the difference from HD-DVD to DVD on a HDTV is about a 5% improvement, mainly in contrast/sharpness. I'll keep using my Xbox to watch dvds on my LCD until the price of either of the new HD mediums are $60 for a player and $15 for the disc. There is absolutely no reason at all to go for the new HD mediums with such a big price difference compared to the very low quality improvement.

basicly......if you want a dvd that you can access the menus while you're still watching the movie, pay double for a HDDVD or a BR disc........but quality isn't an issue.

Oooh I didn't realise you could access the menu while watching the movie, that's cool.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2007 09:24 PM
Leggy_n_Merry is currently offline Click here to Send Leggy_n_Merry a Private Message Find more posts by Leggy_n_Merry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Just to let you guys know that blue ray and HD players can play dvds so you dont have to start your collection all over again . In a few years time we will all have a HD player and HD tv and wont be complaining about how expensive it is . I have seen the differance between Dvd and HD its mind blowing very sharp pic quilty !!

Ohh and Sky HD

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 03:10 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I've seen all the demonstrations of HD, going into major electronics stores. They will have an HD-DVD or Blu-ray movie playing ( King Kong, Batman Begins etc.), playing off a HD or Blu-ray player on a HD TV. Looking at it, I wonder if the picture isn't 'unnaturally' sharp & bright - the picture quality more like a video game, and less film-like. I like DVDs that reporduce the film quality, with slighty soft focus and some blurry feeling to the edges. Just because an image is completely exact doesn't mean it's better to look at, for me.
The image quality from my HDMI player still gives me that quality of projected film, with the touches of grain and focus.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2007 03:34 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Apparently Blu Ray is blowing HD dvds away.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 04:08 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Based on what?

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 07:53 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Based on blogs, articles, and word of mouth. Example:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070423/tc_nf/51707

I don't see this race over anytime soon...(but that's just me personally)

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 08:07 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It's because of studio support, can't be much else, considering now HD-DVD players a mere $400, and most places are offering 4 HD-DVD movies for FREE with purchase, a $125 dollar value.

I stopped caring along time ago about the formats, personally. It's just interesting to see what transpires, especially with the hybrid player on its way.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 08:18 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I still feel there is a long way to go. Wal-mart will be offering a HD DVD players at lower costs pretty soon. Wal-Mart practically help boosted sales for HD TV last year.

In the video game sector the recently discontinue 20GB PS3 could also change things...that was practically the cheapest blu-ray player available.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 08:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

http://gear.ign.com/articles/783/783545p1.html

Apparently it's pretty close still.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2007 08:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote