KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Why do people think music's subjective?

Why do people think music's subjective?
Started by: EPIIIBITES

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Shut up dinosaur!

laughing

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:04 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Relax I'm getting to you...I know you want it...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Nobody, not even the creator, has the power to decide what is factually crap or not. Somebody will always disagree, because it's subjective.

That's the one point you need to grasp.

Nickleback do not think they make shit music, nor do their fans. I do, but that's my opinion, just like it's their opinion it's good.

What an idiotic way of looking at music. "I'll say I hate this cos people like it.".

So what? Let's bring this into play: I think it's a good song. Bono can't prove me wrong by saying "Well I don't like it.".

Now, slow down...take a deep breath...and reeeeead.

Oh where to start...

-"Nobody, not even the creator, has the power to decide what is factually crap or not. Somebody will always disagree, because it's subjective.

That's the one point you need to grasp."

I don't need to grasp anything! I DISAGREE WITH YOU! It's not like you've come up with something new here! This is what people are naturally prone to think becasue it's what seems to make sense on the surface...but few dig deeper my friend.

-"Nickleback do not think they make shit music, nor do their fans. I do, but that's my opinion, just like it's their opinion it's good."

No it's not good...their opinion or yours. It's only good if you have the capacity to see what's objectively good music...something both you and Nickleback clearly can't do....You've said it doesn't make sense to you, and with Nickleback, the proof is in the pudding.

-"What an idiotic way of looking at music. "I'll say I hate this cos people like it.".

I said I "exagerated" 'cause of that...why I'm making the point to begin with silly boy. I didn't say "it's not good" simply because people liked it. Oh man...

-"So what? Let's bring this into play: I think it's a good song. Bono can't prove me wrong by saying "Well I don't like it."."

Yes actually "Bono" could...but not by saying "i don't like it" (because he probably does) but by saying "it's not good". I think he could do that. Maybe another musician couldn't about their song. It's the same way I can say..."you like Keanu Reeves? He's actually not a good actor." regardless whether you like him or I like him or not.

Can I be any more clear? Doubt it.

And I'll end by quoting myself...just 'cause I can...

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Unlike with Nickleback, Bono IS capable of smelling his own s%*#...and it's no surprise that U2 are one of the most legendary, respected, longest-running and consistently good bands in the history of popular music.

Beautiful.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 04:32 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:21 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Led Zeppelin = The Office (BBC version)

Nickleback = Alf

laughing

It's easy...try it!

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 04:44 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:34 AM
RedAlertv2

Yep. He's a troll.

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:47 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing

There's lots of bad sitcoms out there...but it's CLEAR that Alf could be the all time worst...whereas The Office might be the all time best.

Don't be afraid of claiming truth. Just be cool...and let it speak to you.

"Ooooooooooo"

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 04:52 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:49 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Led Zeppelin = Jupiter

Nickleback = Pluto

laughing

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 04:57 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I love the way it's "Relax", from the man posting three times in a row, full of smiley faces.

I don't need to grasp anything! I DISAGREE WITH YOU! It's not like you've come up with something new here! This is what people are naturally prone to think becasue it's what seems to make sense on the surface...but few dig deeper my friend.

You do need to grasp that, since that is the point that proves you factually incorrect. No matter what you have said since the beginning of this thread, you have been undeniably wrong.

No it's not good...their opinion or yours. It's only good if you have the capacity to see what's objectively good music...something both you and Nickleback clearly can't do....You've said it doesn't make sense to you, and with Nickleback, the proof is in the pudding.

Objectively good music doesn't exist, you moron. How many more times am I gonna have to lay it out?

It's entirely opinion.

I said I "exagerated" 'cause of that...why I'm making the point to begin with silly boy. I didn't say "it's not good" simply because people liked it. Oh man...

Calm down.

You still reacted in a way because of people who have absolutely no effect on you. You're scared of people and you're scared of what they think, you're scared to admit you like The Backstreet Boys, you're scared to admit that you like everything you listen to, and therefore it can't possibly be crap TO YOU.

You think you can judge what is and what isn't objectively good music, but there is no such thing. Then you say you know you can't prove it, but you think it's possible to. You're an idiot, you are such a confused man that you don't even know what your point is. You're doing this cos you know you've lost.

I think he could do that.

Well you thought wrong. He couldn't prove my opinion of HIS song, wrong. He couldn't.

Maybe another musician couldn't about their song. It's the same way I can say..."you like Keanu Reeves? He's actually not a good actor." regardless whether you like him or I like him or not.

That's entirely different, that's judging on technical acting ability, proveable areas, not preference, which music always is.

No such thing as objectively good music.

If you continue wasting time by ignoring everyone's posts and picking and choosing what to reply to, sooner or later you're going to be pulled up for trolling.

So I suggest you save yourself a bit of dignity and leave now. You've lost.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:02 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Get a load of this everyone...
It's the same way I can say..."you like Keanu Reeves? He's actually not a good actor." regardless whether you like him or I like him or not.
That's entirely different, that's judging on technical acting ability, proveable areas, not preference, which music always is.

Oh. That's beautiful!

Music is preference and acting isn't??? WHAT???

You've just totally shot down pretty much everything you've posted by this completely contradictory claim. Boy you're confused!

I myself say music is preference to a degree...of course it is! I never argued there's anything wrong with having a preference! But it might just be that if you prefer Keannu over DeNiro, that you're prefering crap to genuis.

How can you say..."you can figure acting out because it's just technical ability"? There's so much more to acting than that.

JUST LIKE IN MUSIC!

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 05:26 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:19 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Led Zeppelin = Lev Ivanovich Yashin

Nickleback = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY61...ted&search=

laughing

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:52 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

Please stop, you really are making me cringe.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:53 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

NO!

...I think we're playing edit-tag.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:55 AM
Bardock42

laughing

There's lots of bad sitcoms out there...but it's CLEAR that Alf could be the all time worst...whereas The Office might be the all time best.

Don't be afraid of claiming truth. Just be cool...and let it speak to you.

"Ooooooooooo"

See, that's stupid though, since Alf is factually one of the best shows there ever was...

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:58 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 05:59 AM
Quiero Mota

Led Zeppelin = The Office (BBC version)

Nickleback = Alf

laughing

It's easy...try it!

Ok here goes...

Led Zepplin = Chevy

Nickleback = Kia

That's accurate: Not only are Chevys cooler, better looking and far more masculine (subjective), they are mechanically more rebliable and efficient vehicles that last longer and are more durable (objective).

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 06:09 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nice. No surprise, coming from someone who has a decent idea of what's going on.

Someone else try...it's fun! Really!

Just feeeeeeeeel the truth...

...feeeeeeeel it

...feeeeeeeeeeeeel

messed

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 06:28 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 06:14 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Music is preference and acting isn't??? WHAT???

You've just totally shot down pretty much everything you've posted by this completely contradictory claim. Boy you're confused!

Read what I said, you idiot. Music is subjective if we're talking about what music you enjoy, 100% totally. There is no objective good music.

There is objective good guitarists, or drummers, based on skill and ability, like actors, but what actor you enjoy is up to you.

I myself say music is preference to a degree...of course it is! I never argued there's anything wrong with having a preference! But it might just be that if you prefer Keannu over DeNiro, that you're prefering crap to genuis.

Obvious how? Crap how? To who? You and whoever else believing that doesn't make it fact.

No objective good or bad, get that into your thick skull.

How can you say..."you can figure acting out because it's just technical ability"? There's so much more to acting than that.

You can figure out who has the better acting skills by breaking it down into catagories that can be judged, as far as who you prefer and enjoy, that is entirely up to you.

JUST LIKE IN MUSIC!

You don't get it, but then that's undeniably obvious.

Do you actually believe you are still in the debate credibly? You're undeniably wrong.

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
That's accurate: Not only are Chevys cooler, better looking and far more masculine (subjective), they are mechanically more rebliable and efficient vehicles that last longer and are more durable (objective).

Precisely.

That's like saying not only are Zeppelin better at making music that's good (Subjective), but they are technically superior players (Objective).

So, effectively, you've just proved EP wrong also. Funny.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 06:57 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Precisely.

You knew that, AC?

Ijole guey! So despite what you say, you apparently do know something about cars after all.

laughing out loud I wasn't even tying to, ey.

I just decided to play his little comparison game. That's funny; I inadvertently destroyed his dumb-ass argument.

*takes a celebratory shot of Sauza*

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 07:20 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I know what I need to know about everything, and sometimes I need to know nothing.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 07:24 AM
Quiero Mota

I know what I need to know about everything, and sometimes I need to know nothing.

-AC

Excuse me?

In other words, you know that Chevrolet is superior to Kia in all aspects? (it is, by the way)

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 07:37 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's like saying not only are Zeppelin better at making music that's good (Subjective), but they are technically superior players (Objective).

Nope, because it's also true that Chevrolets are actually better looking cars than Kia (objective), judging how Kias appear on ugly car lists all the time...and he knows that (although he just doesn't want to go all the way out and admit it...because it aint to popular around these parts).

It's really nothing more than that, so don't fool yourself.
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
In other words, you know that Chevrolet is superior to Kia in all aspects? (it is, by the way)

See what I mean...he know's it's true. Kia is crap compared to Chevy...period.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 08:04 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 07:50 AM