KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Why do people think music's subjective?

Why do people think music's subjective?
Started by: EPIIIBITES

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Quiero Mota

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why, because you do? I'll speak for me, you speak for you. Good?

-AC

I don't know you, pero I garuntee that you have some.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:21 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I don't know you, pero I garuntee that you have some.

What is this bs? Where in this tapestry of idiocy did you become wielder of the power to tell me that I have guilty pleasures?

If you don't believe me, fine, but don't sit there telling me I'm wrong about myself.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:23 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I think anyone in their right mind would say that that's a fact.

I'm in my right mind, but respect what you say as an opinion. Not a fact.

Everyone does...

I don't. I'm not ashamed of anything I like, neither is AC, obviously.

Originally posted by EPIIIBITES

But I still mainitain people can't get over the hump of admitting music isn't subjective becasue of what it might say about their taste.

Who ever said that? You think people won't admit that music is open to interpretation because it might reflect poorly on their taste? Not following.

Originally posted by manorastroman
precisely. forget the semantics of the word "fact".

By "semantics", you mean definition?

I'm not coming from the angle of saving face, I'm just saying it DOES makes sense to listen to music you think is shit...becasue we have as much choice over what music we like as we do over what girls (or guys) we find attractive.

Except with music, even though some of it is beautiful to you, it really can be just CRAP. Some people don't have the capacity to make that distinction though, and that's where the confusion lies.

manorastroman and Quiero Mota know what's up...

It doesn't make any sense to listen to music you think is garbage. Like the ****ing tunes, and change your own opinion to reflect how you HONESTLY feel, and ignore what other people think. It's so simple.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:23 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Ok, Arctic, you can prove my point.

I personally think Arctic has arguably the worst taste on these boards, but I challenge this new Star Wars guy to prove him wrong when he says Nickleback are a great band that make great music.

Go.

And no, "You're wrong. They're shit, they're useless, they're soulless." isn't proving him wrong.

-AC

I already said I can't prove Arctic is wrong...but it doesn't mean it's not provable. Look at Plato's "Forms" and maybe you'll get my point.

I'm glad though I'm discussing this with people who are more or less intelligent. I think you AC probably have good taste in music, and I'd go as far as to say that it's a sign of your muscial intelligence, but I guarantee you like stuff that's trully crap...and it's not your fault...it's just natural to like what you like...but at the end of the day...you, AC, like crap.

It's crap compared to something else, and it's crap on it's own.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 4th, 2007 at 03:32 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:27 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

The worst taste on these boards? ha, you may think that, but I don't. Everyone on these boards probably hates everything I like, but I don't care. I like my taste in music. I've tried listening to some of the music the people on these boards like, but I just cant get into it. At all. But, hey, whatever.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:28 AM
Arctic is currently offline Click here to Send Arctic a Private Message Find more posts by Arctic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I already said I can't...but it doesn't mean it's not provable.

No, the fact that it's not proveable means it's not proveable. You're being remarkably childish by employing this kind of rhetoric.

"It hasn't NOT happened, so that doesn't mean it can't!". Stupidness. I can't fly because I don't know how, it doesn't mean I can't!

I'm glad though I'm discussing this with people who are more or less intelligent. I think you AC probably have good taste in music, and I'd go as far as to say that it's a sign of your muscial intelligence, but I guarantee you like stuff that's trully crap...and it's not your fault...it's just natural to like what you like.

What are you ON about? There's stuff I like that's crap to you. There's nothing I like that's crap to me. Hence this debate being pointless, because you're wrong.

When are you going to pick up the breadcrumbs?

Such a fool.

Originally posted by Arctic
The worst taste on these boards? ha, you may think that, but I don't. Everyone on these boards probably hates everything I like, but I don't care. I like my taste in music. I've tried listening to some of the music the people on these boards like, but I just cant get into it. At all. But, hey, whatever.

And this is exactly correct.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:30 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

...but I guarantee you like stuff that's trully crap...and it's not your fault...it's just natural to like what you like.

With that, you've proven that you've listened to pretty much nothing that's been said tonight.

"Crap" is an opinion. "Crap" is subjective. We like what we like, and don't need a reason, nor justification as shallow as some non-exsistant human disposition to do so.

You should follow suit.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:32 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

Exactly. I like stuff that is crap to probably everyone here, but none of it is crap to me. And no one can prove to me, as a fact, that your music is better than mine. In fact, I like a lot of things that are considered "crap." It seems I'm cursed that way. Most of the music I like is considered crap by both people on these boards and critics. With the exception of maybe Audioslave. I like the Inheritance series, which is considered crap by a lot of people and critics...I like crappy things. smile

Last edited by Arctic on Feb 4th, 2007 at 03:35 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:33 AM
Arctic is currently offline Click here to Send Arctic a Private Message Find more posts by Arctic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

excellent job of ignoring plato's "forms". don't worry, i'm sure you're still the smartest guy on these boards.

not the semantics of the word "fact" itself, but the semantics of its usage in this conversation.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:33 AM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

Originally posted by The Core
I don't. I'm not ashamed of anything I like, neither is AC, obviously.

I'm not talking music, homes. I'm talking period/in general. You mean to tell me you don't have a single guilty pleasure? If so, then you're a unique human.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:34 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Arctic

I never said anything about you having the worst taste on these boards...?

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:34 AM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

TOO MANY CONVERSATIONS!!! eek! eek! eek!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:36 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

I'm not talking music, homes. I'm talking period/in general. You mean to tell me you don't have a single guilty pleasure? If so, then you're a unique human.

I pride myself on my uniquity. I'm dead serious, and have no reason to lie.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:37 AM
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

No that was AC who said that. And its probably true to most people.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:38 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

It shouldn't bother you. If it makes you feel any better, I'm a huge fan of Third Eye Blind's first album, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:42 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

OK. Here's the deal...

...at the end of the day, you always see the same bands in the top whatever of greatest music/band/album lists. As a collective, humans KNOW what music is great and what should be left out.

The big ones being there - Dylan, Beatles, Nirvana, Zeppellin, Hendrix - regardless of what order or frequency, show a sense of objectivity. The ones that are sure to be left out (and I think we know what those could be) just strengthen that point.

It's almost as objective as saying Brazil, Argentina, England, and France are consistently the top footballing nations of the world. It's more or less fact. In both cases, the numbers prove it.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:43 AM
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I'm going to go listen to a heavy dose of Nickelback, Creed, and Audioslave here in a few minutes. Cheers!

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:44 AM
Quiero Mota

The big ones being there - Dylan, Beatles, Nirvana, Zeppellin, Hendrix - regardless of what order or frequency, show a sense of objectivity. The ones that are sure to be left out (and I think we know what those could be) just strengthen that point.

It's almost as objective as saying Brazil, Argentina, England, and France are consistently the top footballing nations of the world. It's more or less fact. In both cases, the numbers prove it.

Stupidest analogy I've seen/heard in my entire lifetime.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:46 AM
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

OK. Here's the deal...

...at the end of the day, you always see the same bands in the top whatever of greatest music/band/album lists. As a collective, humans KNOW what music is great and what should be left out.

Not necessarily know, but recognize, and that's only because of popular opinion. Personally, I think Nirvana were severly overrated, all because they were the last nail in glam rock's coffin and made the biggest splash.

Soccer rankings aren't a comparable measure to music where we're supposed to recognize, and then differentiate between "good" and "bad". What's good in music can't be measured. Athletic skill on the other hand, can be.

You should know, album sales mean jack scheisse. It's a band's impact, staying power and subsequent evolution that make all the difference.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 4th, 2007 at 03:54 AM

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:50 AM
Arctic
Crazy Forum Guy

Old Post Feb 4th, 2007 03:50 AM