KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Why do people think music's subjective?

Why do people think music's subjective?
Started by: EPIIIBITES

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe I just have enough confidence in my intellectual abilities to say truth is objective, killing is wrong, N'SYNC do make crappy music, and say...that's REALITY.

Maybe all it is, is that you just don't have the ability to do that. Silly me...that's why you don't get it!

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 10:36 PM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

So it's come to this.

'Stella Artois is superior to Budweiser'.

Taste bud configuration has become fact.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
Maybe I just have enough confidence in my intillectual

I'm going to stop you there, and refer you to a dictionary. Also, look up 'irony'.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 10:39 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Right. You don't get it. Again, you're looking at it from the perspective of taste and prefernce.

Try "coming from it" from the perspective as looking at something as a creation in reality.

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I'm going to stop you there, and refer you to a dictionary. Also, look up 'irony'.

Too late. Fixed it.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 10:43 PM
EPIIIBITES is currently offline Click here to Send EPIIIBITES a Private Message Find more posts by EPIIIBITES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Right. You don't get it. Again, you're looking at it from the perspective of taste and prefernce.

Try "coming from it" from the perspective as looking at something as a creation in reality.

So we're wrong from looking at it from the correct perspective, the one that exists, the one that's factual.

We don't "get" it because we refuse to adhere to your pathetic creation of reality theory? A theory that is based on the simple premise of "I believe it's possible to prove, even though nobody can, or ever has been able to.".

Right.

Maybe I just have enough confidence in my intellectual abilities to say truth is objective, killing is wrong, N'SYNC do make crappy music, and say...that's REALITY.

Truth is objective, but killing being wrong and NSync making crappy music are not truths. They are opinions. It's not rebellious, gutsy or admirable that you are pretending they are not, it's idiotic and foolhardy.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 10:51 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Too late. Fixed it.

It's not too late, is it? The stupid spelling error is in the quote.

Anyway, OK, I will indulge this idiocy.

*Coming at it from the perspective as looking at something as a creation in reality*

Yeah, you're still talking bullshit.

Not even worth the effort of detailed rebuttal, because you are so dense as to trap all nearby light. You reply with the same nonsense either way.

Last edited by Victor Von Doom on Feb 5th, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 11:26 PM
Victor Von Doom is currently offline Click here to Send Victor Von Doom a Private Message Find more posts by Victor Von Doom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Truth is objective, but killing being wrong and NSync making crappy music are not truths. They are opinions. It's not rebellious, gutsy or admirable that you are pretending they are not, it's idiotic and foolhardy.

Sure it is, dinasour.
We don't "get" it because we refuse to adhere to your pathetic creation of reality theory?

You don't get it 'cause you're a dinasour, dinasour.
It's not too late, is it? The stupid spelling error is in the quote.

Are you serious, child?

Funny how if a started a thread that claimed Backstreet Boys were the greatest band in the world, I guarantee I'd get more people calling me an idiot than I do with this...and quite possibly more people STATING that they suck.

Same is if I started a thread that said Pearl Harbour is a far superior war film that Apocalypse Now...Michael Bay wouldn't even agree with that. And people would INSIST that I'm wrong and that I'm an idiot.

Another creative example given to elaborate on my point.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 5th, 2007 at 11:44 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 11:29 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

And so it comes to the above reply.

You're done.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 11:35 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

Sure it is, dinasour.

You don't get it 'cause you're a dinasour, dinasour.

Are you serious, child?

Salvage some dignity, at least.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2007 11:37 PM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

OK

Here's a good one...

...and this pretty much sums it all up...

Of course some of you are gonna argue it because you're in denial, but there really is no arguing it 'cause it's so painfully right-on.

-When U2 picked up (I think it was a Grammy) for "Beautiful Day", (a song that I claimed was absolute s#*% from the first time I heard it...and IT IS...and this was of course regardless of how many of my friends liked it and how popluar it was), they got up on stage, accepted the award, and said..."we don't think this is a particularly good song, but we'll take the award."

It was great! ...and it's 'cause U2 are cool enough to know (and smart enough to know) that they had made something they themselves think isn't all that good...a concept that I'm sure most of you just CANNOT comprehend.

They were honest enough with themselves to know (and say) that the song probably didn't deserve the award. I've never seen anything like that at an awards show...

...but much the same way as there's the odd person that's smart enough and confident enough to agree with my points on this thread, so too is there the odd person that would be confident enough to say what U2 said amongst their peers.

Oh baby...

EPIII - 1
Dinosaurs - 0

geek

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 12:22 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 12:14 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was great! ...and it's 'cause U2 are cool enough to know (and smart enough to know) that they had made something they themselves think isn't all that good...a concept that I'm sure most of you just CANNOT comprehend.

They were honest enough with themselves to know (and say) that the song probably didn't deserve the award. I've never seen anything like that at an awards show...

A) Awards are meaningless nowadays anyway.

B) They think it's not a good song, other people do, hence why they got the award. It doesn't make it factually bad because they don't like it, or good because they got the award.

What part of "It's all opinion" do you not get?

...but much the same way as there's the odd person that's smart enough and confident enough to agree with my points on this thread, so too is there the odd person that would be confident enough to say what U2 said amongst their peers.

They said they don't think it's a good song, what does that prove? They don't like it. Ok, what? They don't think it's good, others do.

You're saying more people should admit that things are crap? Ok, fine. I don't think any music I listen to is crap, though. I would never listen to anything I PERSONALLY believe is crap. Nor would you, actually. You listen to songs you like, you say certain ones are crap so you aren't looked down upon.

You either like them or you do not, or you're indifferent. You're not the latter two.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 12:26 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

OK

Here's a good one...

I bet it's not.

...and this pretty much sums it all up...

Of course some of you are gonna argue it because you're in denial, but there really is no arguing it 'cause it's so painfully right-on.

-When U2 picked up (I think it was a Grammy) for "Beautiful Day", (a song that I claimed was absolute s#*% from the first time I heard it...and IT IS...and this was of course regardless of how many of my friends liked it and how popluar it was), they got up on stage, accepted the award, and said..."we don't think this is a particularly good song, but we'll take the award."

So?

Is that it, then? If someone can admit something they themselves made isn't that good, it proves that music is objective?

You should really put that argument into a time capsule and send it into space. Just so the aliens are prepared for how amazing we are.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 12:40 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually, it shows that...

I knew it wasn't good/They knew it wasn't good.

I've got some pretty darn good insight/They've got a pretty darn informed opinion on the matter.

I "get" (unlike others here) how they could release something they themselves don't think is good/And they obviously get that as well.

And I'm confident enough and smart enough to say something like..."This is my song...I like it...but I don't think it's good"/And they're confident enough to do precisely the same thing...(a logic that I'M SURE escapes manyof you).

Give it up. Seriously. I knew you'd find something to argue about in that piece...but really, that example demonstrates how wrong and ignorant most of you have been this whole time.

'Cause if Bono wrote a song, said it was crap...I think he'd know better than you or I...because he was the creator. Maybe you're not an artist, but if you were, you wouldn't be going around all the time saying "I don't know if my art is good or bad...I have no say in the matter. I don't even know if I should keep working on it...maybe I'll make it worse!"

Actually wait, there are artists who think like that...but they're usually the ones who think expression is on par with quality, and have no idea of what good actually is. "I'm just doin' waht I'm doin'...who's to say it's not good, right???"

Those kind have no clue I'm afraid.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 01:22 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 01:07 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

And the many people who voted for the song to win "knew" it was good. See? There is no "know" for sure, it's all opinion. You think it wasn't good, they didn't, many did. All were neither right nor wrong.

I've got some pretty darn good insight/They've got a pretty darn informed opinion on the matter.

Opinion being the key word.

I "get" (unlike others here) how they could release something they themselves don't think is good/And they obviously get that as well.

So do we, we get that they don't like it, what you don't get is that this doesn't make it factually bad.

And I'm confident enough and smart enough to say something like..."This is my song...I like it...but I don't think it's good"/And they're confident enough to do precisely the same thing...(a logic that I'M SURE escapes manyof you).

What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you now trying to prove that people have the ability to dislike their own songs?

You've gone off the deep end. People not liking their own songs doesn't mean the songs are FACTUALLY bad, it means they don't like them.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 01:11 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is that it, then? If someone can admit something they themselves made isn't that good, it proves that music is objective?

Only if it's someone that actually has the capacity to do that...people who would more or less agree there's truth to my Stella, Apocalypse, DeNiro claims...'cause that's a sign that you just GET it.

And the many people who voted for the song to win "knew" it was good. See? There is no "know" for sure, it's all opinion. You think it wasn't good, they didn't, many did. All were neither right nor wrong.

I bet they thought they knew. Actually, I'd say most of them probably think along the lines of "I think this is good, but I wouldn't say it IS good."

The fact though that the creator(s) of the song themselves said it wasn't that good...(and especially considering it's Bono of U2...someone who I'd say is smart enough to KNOW his own stuff might not be that good), shows that these people are wrong.

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 01:46 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 01:35 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I bet they thought they knew...but the fact that the creator(s) of the song themselves said it wasn't that good...(and especially considering it's Bono of U2...someone who I'd say is smart enough to just KNOW know his own stuff isn't that good), shows that they're wrong.

It's not up to the creator to decide if their work is FACTUALLY good or not, regardless of if it's theirs.

The millions of U2 fans across the world that love that song aren't wrong just because Bono doesn't like it.

It's...OPINION. It's Bono's opinion that it's not a good song, it's not a fact.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 01:42 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

a) I'm guessing you're not an artist

b) Even if you were, you'd be the type that clearly couldn't distinguish what is truly good from what is truly crap...(and as a result we'd get the Nickleback effect. Crap music because the creator was incapable of smelling his own s%*#)

I can see it now...ALPHA CENTAURI - THE FACT ALBUM.

Thing is though, I can do what you can't. I think Bono can too. And you can't figure out how we do what we do becasue you just don't get it yourself.

To be clear...I said I thought "Beautiful Day" was a s@#% song when it came out...and that was mostly an exageration in reaction to people liking it so much. What my point is though, is that I don't think it's a good song...and even Bono, the author, the creator, the capable and qualified critic of the song, didn't think so either.

And in case you haven't connected the dots:

Unlike with Nickleback, Bono IS capable of smelling his own s%*#...and it's no surprise that U2 are one of the most legendary, respected, longest-running and consistently good bands in the history of popular music.

-Just give it up already...what do you have to argue...seriously? You're gonna sit there and tell me I'm wrong about what I just said?

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 02:10 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 01:56 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

a) I'm guessing you're not an artist

b) Even if you were, you'd be the type that clearly couldn't distinguish what is truly good from what is truly crap...(and as a result we'd get the Nickleback effect. Crap music because the creator was incapable of smelling his own s%*#)

I can see it now...ALPHA CENTAURI - THE FACT ALBUM.

Nobody, not even the creator, has the power to decide what is factually crap or not. Somebody will always disagree, because it's subjective.

That's the one point you need to grasp.

Nickleback do not think they make shit music, nor do their fans. I do, but that's my opinion, just like it's their opinion it's good.

Thing is though, I can do what you can't. I think Bono can too. And you can't figure out how we do what we do becasue you just don't get it yourself.

I do, actually.

What you don't understand is that as I said above, creator or not, nobody decides what is good or crap for anybody but themselves, it's never a fact.

To be clear...I said I thought "Beautiful Day" was a s@#% song when it came out...and that was mostly an exageration in reaction to people liking it so much.

What an idiotic way of looking at music. "I'll say I hate this cos people like it.".

What my point is though, is that I don't think it's a good song...and even Bono, the author, the creator, the capable and qualified critic of the song, didn't think so either.

So what? Let's bring this into play: I think it's a good song. Bono can't prove me wrong by saying "Well I don't like it.".

And in case you haven't connected the dots:

Unlike with Nickleback, Bono IS capable of smelling his own s%*#...and it's no surprise that U2 are one of the most legendary, respected, longest-running and consistently good bands in the history of popular music.

The MAN is MENtally ILL! I've seen him like a plastic song-ie.

One thing Bono is most certainly not capable of is smelling his own shit, for the record. Secondly, consistently good says who? I disagree. It's not a fact, it's an opinion you retarded idiot.

Just give it up already...what do you have to argue...seriously? You're gonna sit there and tell me I'm wrong about what I just said?

Yes, you are. You are factually wrong and I am factually right, I'm doing you more justice than you deserve even carrying this on. Because I'm waging a debate I've already won from the beginning.

I guess it's sheer morbid curiousity that compells me.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 02:16 AM
Victor Von Doom
Latverian Diplomat

What a great point. Thanks for showing that.

Do you honestly think that anyone here doesn't understand that point, you magnificent fool?

Read it. Your point is this: 'they can release something they themselves don't think is good'. That's your ****ing idiotic point. That's your basis for your argument, and it proves nothing. Then, when someone says it proves nothing, you imagine they don't get it, because you are too dense to think you may be wrong.

Literally the biggest fool I've ever encountered on here.

Someone's opinion on their own music is fact, to you.

Just...beyond saving.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 02:58 AM
EPIIIBITES
Restricted

Account Restricted

10 pages of pure s%*#...this is great!
Read it. Your point is this: 'they can release something they themselves don't think is good'. That's your ****ing idiotic point. That's your basis for your argument, and it proves nothing.

This is hilarious...I already exlpained my argument. Proof that you really are blinded by your ignorance. To your question, "Is that it, then? If someone can admit something they themselves made isn't that good, it proves that music is objective?", I answered...
Only if it's someone that actually has the capacity to do that...people who would more or less agree there's truth to my Stella, Apocalypse, DeNiro claims...'cause that's a sign that you just GET it...

...The fact though that the creator(s) of the song themselves said it wasn't that good...(and especially considering it's Bono of U2...someone who I'd say is smart enough to KNOW his own stuff might not be that good), shows that these people are wrong.

I'm showing here that I answered. Just incredible!!! Not looking at whether or not you think it makes sense...I already answered you. So don't say ..."Your point is this: 'they can release something they themselves don't think is good'"...That's not my exact point. I explained my point, and it's not that!

And proof that you obviously didn't get it!!!

Someone's opinion on their own music is fact, to you.

It's not just "someone's" opinion.

Reeeeead The Pooooosts!!!

Nobody, not even the creator, has the power to decide what is factually crap or not. Somebody will always disagree, because it's subjective.

That's the one point you need to grasp.

Nickleback do not think they make shit music, nor do their fans. I do, but that's my opinion, just like it's their opinion it's good.

...and proof you other dinosaur friend doesn't get it either.

This is awesome!!

Last edited by EPIIIBITES on Feb 6th, 2007 at 04:02 AM

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 03:47 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

He already replied to your answer, but once again you pick and choose which parts to reply to because you refuse to admit defeat.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 6th, 2007 03:54 AM