KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Excerpt from-Rooftop Diva-A Novel of Triumph After Katrina

Excerpt from-Rooftop Diva-A Novel of Triumph After Katrina
Started by: dtpollard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dtpollard
Restricted

Account Restricted

Excerpt from-Rooftop Diva-A Novel of Triumph After Katrina

Rooftop Diva - Available Now - DTPollard.com

Background:

Monique ended up in Dallas after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. She has been staying at a wealthy woman's home who befriended her while she was in a shelter. Now she is going back to the shelter to await word from her benefactor about a more permanent arrangement. Pgs 44-45

44 Rooftop Diva

That night was her last time to revel in sleeping on satin sheets and the pumpkin moment was fast approaching. She woke up around three in the morning and started to the kitchen to get a drink. She noticed how cold the black marble floor felt to her bare feet when she heard Prentice talking on the phone as she walked past the master bedroom. She paused for a minute and listened.

“Kendra you know when John started the network up the plan was to shut it down within two years. I know we’re making a lot of money.
Yeah, I’ve made over two million also. It’s getting too risky, what if one of the providers slips up and we get exposed. It would be a disaster if we are caught running a high dollar internet prostitution ring. Can you imagine the headlines? The Trophy Wife Network gets exposed. Look I just want this thing to end so we can have our extra stash of money. Exactly, if you add that to our prenuptial payouts, we’re golden. My payout is eight million and yours is seven, altogether that’s nineteen
million with our network money. Who cares what they think, they didn’t want us crashing their little party to begin with. Look it’s three in the morning and I’ll talk to you later.”

After hearing this Monique decided she wasn’t thirsty after all and quietly
went back to her room. She had to keep herself under control and act totally oblivious about what she had heard. There was more going on with these people than she ever imagined and this was the second time this business they’re in had come up. Obviously they were under a lot of stress from being involved. She could only deduce that their husbands didn’t know about this thing at all.

The next day, all too soon she was back at the shelter and she found out they were moving her to another facility that used to be a jail and shutting down the arena site. That night as she slept in what amounted to a jail cell on a stiff cot with cotton sheets, it was hard to remember the two days spent in the lap of luxury.

Another day passed by and there still was no word from Prentice about the job interview or pool house. When she was taking a shower on Sunday morning a female voice rang out in the shower.

“Hey, what’s your name?” a woman asked.

Monique turned and looked and a stocky dark skinned woman was in the
shower also, “I’m Monique, who are you?”

D. T. Pollard 45

“My name is Melina, but they call me Mel,” she said.

“Nice to meet you Mel,” Monique said.

“It’s not as nice as it could be; it looks like you have a nice little package going for you. There are a lot of things I could do for you to help you out,” Mel said.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Monique said.

“A tender little thing like you needs protection, because everybody’s gonna be after that sweet stuff,” Mel said as she walked over to Monique.

Before she knew what was happening, Monique felt a hand on her and she jerked away.

“Get the hell away from me,” Monique said.

“Come on baby, you know you want this just like I do,” Mel said and tried to put her hands on her again.

Monique looked her in the eye and said, “I’m not telling you again to back off.”

By now Mel had backed Monique up against the wall of the shower.

“Well what are you going to do,” Mel said as she approached

Monique and pushed up to her and tried to plant a kiss on her lips.

Without saying a word, Monique pushed her back and planted her right knee firmly into Mel’s stomach and she slipped and fell to the floor with a thud. Some years ago in Chicago, Monique took a self defense class, but this was the first time she had to use it in a live situation. She also knew she had to get out of this shelter, because Mel seemed like the type to come back on you in the middle of the night while you were sleeping. After getting dressed she saw Mel laid out on a cot
pointing at her.

Monique made her way to a phone and dialed Prentice’s phone number.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2007 12:44 AM
dtpollard is currently offline Click here to Send dtpollard a Private Message Find more posts by dtpollard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote