KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Respect the Great Evil Beast!

Respect the Great Evil Beast!
Started by: Endless Mike

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

I remember the first time I was reading that issue, and found myself knotted up in tension and fear. Alan Moore had structured this year-long journey of Swamp Thing, right up to the Great Evil Beast, to parallel exactly what was going on in Crisis On Infinite Earths - happening at the same time. Instead of Monitor & Anti-Monitor, it was the Presence & the GEB. And Swampie gives it the insight it needed. Good job.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post May 9th, 2007 10:12 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Lucifer pays verbal respect to the GEB:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/...r/Lucifer18.jpg

Scan thanks to Erik-Lensherr

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 16th, 2008 12:08 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Superman XX5

Neat thread.
Which series did this guy appear in?

Old Post May 16th, 2008 02:53 PM
Superman XX5 is currently offline Click here to Send Superman XX5 a Private Message Find more posts by Superman XX5 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Swamp Thing

Sig by Starlock

Old Post May 17th, 2008 12:42 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UKR
Restricted

Account Restricted

DC sux!!!!!

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2008 03:42 AM
UKR is currently offline Click here to Send UKR a Private Message Find more posts by UKR Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by UKR
DC sux!!!!!

Don't spam. If it happens again, it'll be an official warning, which lead quickly to bans from the site. You're new, and it would be good if that didn't happen, eh? Thanks in advance.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2008 04:29 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

Very impressive.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 05:17 AM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
naruto2424
That guy in the corner

what's impressive the thread or UKR getting owned by Digi big grin

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 02:57 PM
naruto2424 is currently offline Click here to Send naruto2424 a Private Message Find more posts by naruto2424 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I would say my statement is mutually inclusive... wink

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Jun 26th, 2008 10:09 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doomsday49
Restricted

Account Restricted

niiice!

my life rap isn't for the weak or feeble/ my youth was no sunshine the grind'll eat you/ they say learn from the past history can teach you/ but if i live backward all i see is evil.....Doomsday biatch!!!!!

Old Post Aug 6th, 2008 07:08 PM
doomsday49 is currently offline Click here to Send doomsday49 a Private Message Find more posts by doomsday49 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AlmightyKfish
This Is No Longer A City.

Awesome thread Mike.

Taskmaster The Molecule Man

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 04:11 PM
AlmightyKfish is currently offline Click here to Send AlmightyKfish a Private Message Find more posts by AlmightyKfish Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harbinger
Firestorm

Excellent thread.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2008 04:41 PM
Harbinger is currently offline Click here to Send Harbinger a Private Message Find more posts by Harbinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

Here is more info about The Beast and it not merging with God The Presence. This is in DC The Demon 51 1994. That is Merlin running around in Hell talking to Jason Blood about his visit to the underworld.

(please log in to view the image)

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?...ag220001oj9.jpg

http://img381.imageshack.us/my.php?...ag220002hy8.jpg

The Word

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 03:23 AM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

That .. certainly doesn't make any sense in relationship to how Alan Moore presented the story, how the conflict was resolved and what the aftermath was.
Unless, it is also a metaphor, seeing as how hell is was mentioned as 'heaven's shadow reflection' or something of that sort, and since the 'Light' is located in heaven, the 'Dark', the 'Shadow' must also be presented in hell, though they aren't strictly bonded to a location, since they are everywhere.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Aug 23rd, 2008 at 12:36 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 12:28 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

How doesn't it fit in? It is resolved for the time being the Phantom Stranger said as they both gave a small piece of each other to the other. I'm beginning to wonder if there is another war in the spiritual realm on the way and if anything could, Final Crisis could trigger it, time will tell.

The Word

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 03:15 PM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kevdude
How doesn't it fit in? It is resolved for the time being the Phantom Stranger said as they both gave a small piece of each other to the other. I'm beginning to wonder if there is another war in the spiritual realm on the way and if anything could, Final Crisis could trigger it, time will tell.

Because in Alan Moore's story, they actually did merge and change everything.
"They're .. they're clasping! [i]Flowing .. running together .. Everything swirling .. Everyone falling .."

"Swamp Thing: They are both gone.
Phantom Stranger: No. Not gone. The light and shade are still everywhere about us..
Phantom Stranger: Happened ? Nothing has happened. Everything has happened. Can't you feel it ? Everywhere things look the same, but the feeling .. the feeling is different."

When the Great Evil Beast merged with the Light, he essentially merged with Creation aswell, thus the statements above, with everything being different. The metaphor he used afterwards is a symbol of their coexisting, not literally each of them throwing a piece of eachother at the other one smile

Thus why it's impossible for the Great Evil Beast to be only in hell, because he was actually cast across creation along with the Ultimate Light, thus my point of view about that being a metaphor, or possibly just the 'rumours' those from hell heard, or just flat-out the writer being wrong.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 03:36 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

That is not them merging into a new being if that's what your meaning, they are embracing each other and giving a piece to the other for a stalemate for the time being. In another Swamp Thing 2 years after the war shows the Phantom Stranger visiting Heaven and see The Light and The Darkness still embrace, in 94 the scans the Darkness eventually left Heaven. You can see a piece of the Yin and Yang in the other. smile

The Word

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 03:58 PM
Philosophía

It is them merging, thus the statements used during and after their 'confrontation', thus why everything was different afterwards.
In what issue does the Phantom Stranger see them still embracing ?

Last edited by Philosophía on Aug 23rd, 2008 at 04:09 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 04:05 PM
kevdude
The Hooded Man

They never merged and shaped into a new being. Everything was different because they gave a piece to each other to understand each other better and a new way of looking at things, it was either that or fight. I was wrong about it being 2 years lol it was the next comic ST 51, I'm planning on buying it soon. Here is a timeline of ST and Hellblazer history and shows what I'm saying.

http://www.swampthingroots.com/timeline_06.html

The Word

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 04:19 PM
Philosophía

I have the comic, and nothing of that sort is mentioned or shown. What Phantom Stranger does in the issue is point out what I already mentioned: "The spheres about us have subtley changed since the cataclysmic meeting of dark and light".

Edit: I think I know what the issue is. I'll get back on this after I get it. smile

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2008 04:37 PM