KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The Children Of Hurin

Would you get the book?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5 100.00%
No 0 0%
Maybe 0 0%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Children Of Hurin
Started by: Unicor777

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

That is the name of the book!Thanks!It was driving me nuts not be able to remember it.Don't get me wrong I do respect him.I just don't think he can be as good as his father.
In fact no writter can!jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 10th, 2007 10:51 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Oh, I agree.
I didn't mean to target what you'd said; I was merely addressing the opinions of several fans of Tolkien. They are too hard on C.R. Tolkien, who (I believe) deserves their respect - I can't help but wonder how many of these supposed "fans" would have given up after seeing the massive amount of writing left behind by good old J.R.R.

B.T.W.: Many try to pin the so-called "hard" readings of The Silmarillion on the editorial intrusions of C.R. Tolkien, but they are mistaken. On comparison of the texts given throughout the H.M.E. series, I'd be willing to say that about 90-95% of what appears in the published work is genuine Tolkien, (not counting the minor stylistic changes introduced by C.R. Tolkien in an effort to make the text more readable or more coherent).

Last edited by The Rover on May 11th, 2007 at 01:26 AM

Old Post May 11th, 2007 01:22 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I still think it was hard to read.I reather stick to "The Lord of the Rings" instead.jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 11th, 2007 02:37 AM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

stick out tongue

I know.
I myself prefer the mythic depth of The Silmarillion, but I also believe that the narrative structure of The Lord of the Rings is nearly unmatched in modern literature.

Old Post May 12th, 2007 02:39 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Hye kids read the lord of the rings as part of there book list.That proves that JR Token is one of the best writters out there!Always will be in my book!jm

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 12th, 2007 02:44 AM
The Rover

He is one of the highest-grossing/most-read authors.

Old Post May 12th, 2007 10:57 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I argee to that!jm

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 02:48 AM
exanda kane

It's a fact, whether you agree or not :P

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post May 13th, 2007 11:32 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vanice
traceur

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Willaume
stick out tongue

I know.
I myself prefer the mythic depth of The Silmarillion, but I also believe that the narrative structure of The Lord of the Rings is nearly unmatched in modern literature.

I can agree on the first point. And yes, LOTR is much easier to read then Sil but it's not unmatched in modern literature, trust me. It is my favourite book as well, but sometimes the narrator talks about stuff you wont get if you aren't very in to Tolkien, especially Return of the king contains lots of stuff that really confuses the reader if you haven't read Sil.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 11:37 AM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I know it is a fact.I am argeeing that it is a fact!jm

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 13th, 2007 01:00 PM
exanda kane

Was just messing with ya smile

Old Post May 13th, 2007 10:46 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Originally posted by vanice
I can agree on the first point. And yes, LOTR is much easier to read then Sil but it's not unmatched in modern literature, trust me. It is my favourite book as well, but sometimes the narrator talks about stuff you wont get if you aren't very in to Tolkien, especially Return of the king contains lots of stuff that really confuses the reader if you haven't read Sil.

Huh?
Allusions to past events (whether sooth or feigned) is a common device used by authors, although most aren't as deep as were Tolkiens.

Your statement that most of the allusions in L.R. wouldn't make sense to someone who hadn't read The Silmarillion falls somewhat apart after it's made clear that the Appendices which follow R.K. weren't included until the publication of the Second Edition; plus, The Silmarillion wasn't published until nearly thirty-years after L.R., (and it was long uncertain - even in Tolkien's lifetime - whether or not The Silmarillion was going to be published in any form).

So, the simplest way to refute your statement is to say this: The allusions made in L.R. weren't supposed to be fully understood; they were there to create a sense of depth. That Tolkien wanted to published the two works together is a widely known fact, but it became clear after he had finished L.R. that that was an impossibility.

I can understand what you mean is that, because of these allusions, L.R. can be hard to understand, but I take from it the facts surrounding its publication. Plus I love Tolkien, and find most other authors (especially the overrated ones) boring. stick out tongue

Last edited by The Rover on May 14th, 2007 at 01:01 AM

Old Post May 14th, 2007 12:58 AM
vanice
traceur

Woha, touched a sore spot i see. Well I really don't have to answer to all this, because you answered it yourself. YES "because of these allusions, L.R. can be hard to understand" is exactly my point.
Of course Tolkien made these allusions to create a dept rather then confuse the reader, the opposite statement would be ridiculous. But I never, ever said that.
I said they sometimes confuse the reader. NOT on purpose. But they do. I have many friends who I had to convince that the books are way better then the films, and they would go "No, it's so hard to read .... the chapters are too long ... what good are those stupid songs for? ... blah" and so on.
As I've said LOTR is my favourite book as well, but i wouldn't call it "Unmatched in modern literature" because I haven't read enough to state that. Maybe you have, but if it was the Swedish Academy would probably have considered giving the Nobel Price to Tolkien posthumously, and I don't think they have.
Anyway opinions are supposed to be different, otherwise this world would be dull and ****ed up stick out tongue

Hooray the LOTR forum lives again Happy Dance

Old Post May 19th, 2007 06:00 PM
vanice is currently offline Click here to Send vanice a Private Message Find more posts by vanice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

laughing out loud

I'm sorry if it seemed like I attacked you - I'm just a nerd who has too much time on my hands. stick out tongue

The only advice I can offer is that you shouldn't take too much stock in my posts - nor those of anyone else, at that. Chances are that we'll never meet, so I don't really care about making an @$$ of myself. stick out tongue

Old Post May 20th, 2007 12:45 AM
vanice
traceur

maybe we will meet, without knowing that we are we

cheers mate

Old Post May 20th, 2007 11:04 AM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

I know you are!I would love to see "The Habbit"that would be a great movie to see!jm

Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 20th, 2007 02:47 PM
The Rover

Originally posted by vanice
maybe we will meet, without knowing that we are we

cheers mate

stick out tongue

Old Post May 20th, 2007 08:27 PM
exanda kane

Finally got round to getting this Children of Hurin, and I'm not sure whether I'm glad I bought it or not. In one mind, it's Tolkien, and that for me seals the deal to buy the book anyway, just to carry on with the collection. In the other mind, after reading it, I'm not sure whether I enjoyed it or not.

The Tale of Hurin is interesting no doubt (although out of the events of the Silmarillion I always found this typical shakespearean tragedy a little drab) and some points of the book are fantastic and engaging to read, but others I wished would breeze by a little faster.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tolkien's prose, and this book, out of all his or his son's work, is probably most exemplary of that relationship. Sometimes it really brings about the scale and expanse of Middle Earth, but sometimes, when he isn't writing with that sense of great British whimsy (as in LOTR or the Hobbit) it all feels a little, how can I say it, samey.

Not giving away too much of the story to potential readers who don't already know it, I feel I can only take so many embittered and selfish Elves and Men; the same scenario recurring again and again becomes a bit of a drag.

None the less, it's Tolkien and hopefully they'll be people who read it with a more definite response than mine.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 06:35 PM
ESB -1138
Sonic Speed

A new book. I'd thought we would never see a new adventure in Middle-earth and yet here it is. The Children of Hurin better be good in the time in took Christ to finish it. I hope the book itself is about 500 pages...just to keep the story going.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 07:27 PM
ESB -1138 is currently offline Click here to Send ESB -1138 a Private Message Find more posts by ESB -1138 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

It's not really a new adventure. More of a retelling of an old one.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2007 07:48 PM