KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » beat jordan 1 on 1

beat jordan 1 on 1
Started by: spidey-dude

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BobbyD
Animal Lover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Lol, Shaquille O'neal.

He's not a force in attack, but he's the best defenser of all time. MJ wouldn't be able to pass through his 7'4" and his 340 lbs. On the other side, O'neal just have to run on straight line, and jump.

Forgive me for coming off antagonistic, but Shaq I still don't think has a chance. I feel this way about most centers actually, except perhaps Hakeem and the Admiral, who were very athletic mobile centers.

Anyhow, back to the point, Shaq wouldn't defend Jordan at the top of the key. At the first moment the ball is checked, Jordan is around him before Shaq can blink. And if Shaq chooses to step back, waiting for a rebound, and let Jordan have the shot, he is still screwed though I think his chances are better this way.

When Shaq has the ball this could be interesting.....

Shaq would try to back him in. Because if he faces up, the ball is stolen. And he doens't have an outside shot to save his life so he can't face up. This reduces it to a game within the game. Jordan wouldn't let Shaq back him in. Instead, he'd give the ground, and try to come around (either way) forcing Shaq to turn and face the basket and dribble. This is where Shaq is vulnerable. Shaq would know this too so he may decide to spot up for a 5-8 foot floater.

It'd be interesting. But, either way it's easier for Jordan to defend Shaq than the other way around. Thus, I give the odds to Jordan in a very competitive game EVERY time, if only for Shaq's girth and size. erm

Old Post Mar 20th, 2007 05:35 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teampac08
Love and War

Ok for fairness let's just list only perimeter players. Big men shouldnt count since it's a physical mismatch. You give a great big man the ball once and he'll keep posting Jordan until he wins. Anyway, Only perimeter player that has a chance is Kobe. If Lebron can develop some defense and if Wade can develop a jumper and better defense they might have a chance. I did not add TMac because he just does not have enough d to contain Jordan. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson do not have the athleticism to match with Jordan one on one. Kobe vs Jordan is as good as it gets. Whether you want to agree or not Kobe is a better offensive player. He has better range. Jordan was most effective from the free throw line down. Kobe has range up until the three point line. Kobe is also slightly bigger, so he is goin to be stronger. What Jordan has is brains and better d. In all honesty, one on one is a toss up. If this was a team game Jordan would beat Kobe because he's the smarter player.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 05:55 AM
teampac08 is currently offline Click here to Send teampac08 a Private Message Find more posts by teampac08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by teampac08
Ok for fairness let's just list only perimeter players. Big men shouldnt count since it's a physical mismatch. You give a great big man the ball once and he'll keep posting Jordan until he wins. Anyway, Only perimeter player that has a chance is Kobe. If Lebron can develop some defense and if Wade can develop a jumper and better defense they might have a chance. I did not add TMac because he just does not have enough d to contain Jordan. Larry Bird and Magic Johnson do not have the athleticism to match with Jordan one on one. Kobe vs Jordan is as good as it gets. Whether you want to agree or not Kobe is a better offensive player. He has better range. Jordan was most effective from the free throw line down. Kobe has range up until the three point line. Kobe is also slightly bigger, so he is goin to be stronger. What Jordan has is brains and better d. In all honesty, one on one is a toss up. If this was a team game Jordan would beat Kobe because he's the smarter player.

....agree with everything you said, except your first 2 sentences and about Magic, not that my opinion means anything. erm

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 09:25 PM
BobbyD is currently offline Click here to Send BobbyD a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
teampac08
Love and War

Originally posted by BobbyD
....agree with everything you said, except your first 2 sentences and about Magic, not that my opinion means anything. erm

I love Magic, and the Lakers are my favorite sports franchise but even I know Magic does not have a chance. Jordan's the better individual player. Magic is the best at getting his teammates to play on a whole new level. Jordan's just too quick for Magic to handle on a one on one game. And in terms of big men, you just cant compare them. Let's take for example a prime Shaq. A prime Shaq was freakishly quick for his size, not to mention he was the strongest player physically to play the game. There's just no way for Jordan to guard him one on one. On the other hand, all it takes is for Shaq to rebound one missed jumper from Jordan, then he'll post it up all day.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 10:56 PM
teampac08 is currently offline Click here to Send teampac08 a Private Message Find more posts by teampac08 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Kobe
Magic
Isaiah
LeBron
Carmelo
Dominique
Dr.J
T-Mac(in prime in Orlando)
Vince(in prime in Toronto)
Allen Iverson

Shawn Marion couldn't do it.
Larry is slow i'll agree.
As for Shaq and Kareem I don't believe in huge mismatches when talking about 1on1 situations.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2007 05:17 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Originally posted by teampac08
I love Magic, and the Lakers are my favorite sports franchise but even I know Magic does not have a chance. Jordan's the better individual player. Magic is the best at getting his teammates to play on a whole new level. Jordan's just too quick for Magic to handle on a one on one game. And in terms of big men, you just cant compare them. Let's take for example a prime Shaq. A prime Shaq was freakishly quick for his size, not to mention he was the strongest player physically to play the game. There's just no way for Jordan to guard him one on one. On the other hand, all it takes is for Shaq to rebound one missed jumper from Jordan, then he'll post it up all day.

See, I think Magic could give MJ fits with his heights and ball handling. Remember in Jordan's first NBA finals? The Bulls had Mikey covering Magic and MJ got 3 quick fouls and had to sit, and then the Pipster was on him. Oblviously, Magic could not guard Jordan one on one.

Yes, I could see what you said below about Shaq guarding MJ, but would it go like that is the question? And how far of a jumper are we talking about for MJ? There's no way he would be shooting from 15 ft out or more? Jordan is deadly from mid range too, no?

Why would MJ shoot from further out (than 15ft) when he could just merely dribble around him for an easy bucket? MJ knows that Shaq knows this too, no?

Old Post Mar 26th, 2007 02:12 PM
teampac08
Love and War

See, I think Magic could give MJ fits with his heights and ball handling. Remember in Jordan's first NBA finals? The Bulls had Mikey covering Magic and MJ got 3 quick fouls and had to sit, and then the Pipster was on him. Oblviously, Magic could not guard Jordan one on one.

Yes, I could see what you said below about Shaq guarding MJ, but would it go like that is the question? And how far of a jumper are we talking about for MJ? There's no way he would be shooting from 15 ft out or more? Jordan is deadly from mid range too, no?

Why would MJ shoot from further out (than 15ft) when he could just merely dribble around him for an easy bucket? MJ knows that Shaq knows this too, no?

They're not goin to call fouls on a one on one game. Jordan, like I said is too athletic for Johnson. Plus Magic isnt a great one on one scorer overall, but he's clutch and can make them when it counts. Jordan, we all know is a greater individual scorer. On the MJ vs Shaq scenario, it only takes one missed jumper and it's all over. Shaq on the other hand, is automatic. He'll keep backing up Jordan for the points. There's nothing Jordan can do.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2007 08:07 AM
BobbyD
Animal Lover

Forgive me for coming off antagonistic, but Shaq I still don't think has a chance. I feel this way about most centers actually, except perhaps Hakeem and the Admiral, who were very athletic mobile centers.

Anyhow, back to the point, Shaq wouldn't defend Jordan at the top of the key. At the first moment the ball is checked, Jordan is around him before Shaq can blink. And if Shaq chooses to step back, waiting for a rebound, and let Jordan have the shot, he is still screwed though I think his chances are better this way.

When Shaq has the ball this could be interesting.....

Shaq would try to back him in. Because if he faces up, the ball is stolen. And he doens't have an outside shot to save his life so he can't face up. This reduces it to a game within the game. Jordan wouldn't let Shaq back him in. Instead, he'd give the ground, and try to come around (either way) forcing Shaq to turn and face the basket and dribble. This is where Shaq is vulnerable. Shaq would know this too so he may decide to spot up for a 5-8 foot floater.

It'd be interesting. But, either way it's easier for Jordan to defend Shaq than the other way around. Thus, I give the odds to Jordan in a very competitive game EVERY time, if only for Shaq's girth and size. erm

Old Post Mar 28th, 2007 01:53 PM
spidey-dude
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by The_Mayor
Yeah, Michael could be him outside, speed to go inside, Kareem just was inside, and MJ could take him inside pretty well I think.
kareem still holds the record for most points in a season

Old Post Jul 22nd, 2007 06:08 PM
spidey-dude is currently offline Click here to Send spidey-dude a Private Message Find more posts by spidey-dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Currently Kobe Bryant is practically Michael Jordan's equal. Each has similarities and they play the exact shockingly same way. Kobe is a better shooter and ball handler. Michael has more explosiveness and is a sightly better defender. If they're not equals MJ is Kobe's slight superior. To beat Jordan 1 on 1 with guards. Kobe is the perfect guy. He's his essential equal. erm

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2008 10:46 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Beating Jordan one on one would be very tough since he's good at creating his own shot. Chamberlain definitely could, but if we don't include guys who are physical nightmares for him, I would say that Kobe Bryant, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, and Larry Bird could beat him, although none of them are beating him every single time.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 09:26 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

Good question in theory who could beat MJ 1 on 1

Michael schooled Kobe when Kobe was a youngster. Kobe embarassed a old, tired MJ when he had 42 on him at 1/2 time

IMO, Kobe, Magic, Bird, Dominique, Clyde, Oscar, Pete Maravich all would win

thank u bz

Old Post Mar 25th, 2008 12:02 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by celestialdemon
Beating Jordan one on one would be very tough since he's good at creating his own shot. Chamberlain definitely could, but if we don't include guys who are physical nightmares for him, I would say that Kobe Bryant, Oscar Robertson, Dr. J, Dominique Wilkins, and Larry Bird could beat him, although none of them are beating him every single time.
Dr. J and Bird don't have the defensive capabilities to stop Jordan. Dominique Wilkins and Oscar could though.

Old Post Mar 28th, 2008 08:38 PM
Winter Soldier
Who cares...

Only Darth Kobe has the footspeed, lateral movement, strength, quickness, overall athleticism, ego and skill to beat him.

Bernard King and Michael Ray Richardson would both give him a good game though.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species that I realized you aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. And the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we...are the cure.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 08:19 PM
Winter Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Winter Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Winter Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Justic3

imo:
-lebron
-kobe
-magic
-tmac
-vince
-melo
-iverson
-a. stoudamire (slight possibility)
-nachbar.. lol

maybe yao ming?.. .. nahh :P

Old Post May 16th, 2008 03:58 PM
Justic3 is currently offline Click here to Send Justic3 a Private Message Find more posts by Justic3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by Lord Evolution
Kobe
Kobe is no MJ.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 04:38 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

that one black player, i think he could take Jordan one on one

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 06:17 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Most big men could. It's comparing apples and oranges. They'd just back him down and lay it in. If he could hit his 3's, he'd win. Otherwise not.

Very few little men could. I forget who it was that was interviewed after he actually played Jordan 1-on-1, but it was one of the best players in the league at the time. Not only did he lose, but Jordan stomped him. He was the complete package...offense and defense. In this format, only size could hope to beat him.

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 03:18 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Winter Soldier
Who cares...

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Most big men could. It's comparing apples and oranges. They'd just back him down and lay it in. If he could hit his 3's, he'd win. Otherwise not.

Very few little men could. I forget who it was that was interviewed after he actually played Jordan 1-on-1, but it was one of the best players in the league at the time. Not only did he lose, but Jordan stomped him. He was the complete package...offense and defense. In this format, only size could hope to beat him.

Ballplayers will tell you the exact opposite. Mike is so much quicker than a big man that eventually he'd reach-around and steal the rock. They'd never see it again.

Little guys actually have a better chance because they would match or exceed his quickness and footspeed. Even though he'd be able to back down and/or shoot over them, guys like Isiah and A.I. would give him fits.

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species that I realized you aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. And the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we...are the cure.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2008 09:46 PM
Winter Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Winter Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Winter Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pablo G
Coolest Beaner Around

I still believe the only person who could beat Jordan 1 on 1 with Jordan in his prime is God, and that's if there is one.

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun, than just a kind word" - Al Capone

Old Post Jun 27th, 2008 07:51 AM
Pablo G is currently offline Click here to Send Pablo G a Private Message Find more posts by Pablo G Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote