KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Words to Replace 'Said'

Words to Replace 'Said'
Started by: Vinny Valentine

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
~Forever*Alone~
Empress

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Strangelove
Why is using words other than said so important? I don't understand it.

yeah man, why even bother writing, i mean, how important is using words? roll eyes (sarcastic)

we should just draw stories roll eyes (sarcastic)

does this work?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 04:37 AM
~Forever*Alone~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Forever*Alone~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Forever*Alone~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

Hey Vinny you forgot 'convayed' great words ive used most of them already though. you forgot this one lol wink

A long time have I waited for this, my little green friend!

Old Post Oct 7th, 2007 03:31 AM
Jedireaper is currently offline Click here to Send Jedireaper a Private Message Find more posts by Jedireaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Strangelove
I personally think that 'said' should be the only word used when writing. Rarely do readers pay much attention to the words describing what's being said. Let the words speak for themselves.

For the most part, I agree. Depending on the dialogue scene, 'said' and 'asked' can carry virtually the whole shebang, with maybe one or two alternatives thrown in to keep it fresh. And good writing is when you don't notice the words, only the story (told to me in one of the few personally-written rejection letters I've gotten).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2007 10:14 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Personally, I've found overuse of the word "said" (or like descriptors for speech) to be distracting. For example, reading Jurassic Park, I was constantly torn from my place within the fiction by nearly each line of dialogue being ended or otherwise interrupted by the word "said."

BTW: "Quod/quoth" was unjustly absent from the list of words. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 24th, 2007 03:42 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

"What are you doing?" The trooper asked.
Jak turned and said. "I'm just tying my shoes."
"Oh, really. Get up!" The trooper said grabbing him and hauling Jak up.
"Ow. Hey!" Jak said.
The trooper shoved him forward with a push. "Walk." He said. Then lodged the nozzel of the blaster rifle between Jaks shoulder blades. It whined as it powered up.
Jak tried talking to the Stormtrooper. "You gonna kill me?" Jak said. Asking the trooper.
The trooper smiled behind his helmet. "You will find out soon enough." He said, then said. "No more talk you rebel scum." They coninued in silence...

End.

Now I used 'said' where i could have used other words. It does reduce the quality of the work/story.

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 05:52 PM
Jedireaper is currently offline Click here to Send Jedireaper a Private Message Find more posts by Jedireaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

"What are you doing?" the trooper asked.
Jak turned and said, "I"m just tying my shoes."
"Oh, really. Get up!" The trooper grabbed and hauled Jak to his feet.
"Ow. Hey!" Jak said.
The trooper shoved him forward with a push. "Walk," he ordered, lodging the nozzle of the blaster between Jak's shoulder blades. The weapon whined as it powered up.
Jak tried talking to the Stormtrooper. "You gonna kill me?" he asked.
The trooper smiled behind his helmet. "You will find out soon enough. No more talk, you rebel scum."
They continued in silence.

All things in moderation.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 02:36 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

Now thats how I would have done it anyway. I was just giving an exanple of over-use. Compare both scenes, although similar they differ in feel and pace. Said pauses the continuity of the scene.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2007 08:46 AM
SoylentBlue
*narrows eyes*

You used 'ordered' instead of 'said' once, Mindship. ^^

I think 'said' can be used about half of the time, and more complex verbs should be added to give some extra feel to it...

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2008 08:39 AM
SoylentBlue is currently offline Click here to Send SoylentBlue a Private Message Find more posts by SoylentBlue Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Luvofyourlife

This is stupid

this is so stupid what is it about confused

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 12:08 AM
Luvofyourlife is currently offline Click here to Send Luvofyourlife a Private Message Find more posts by Luvofyourlife Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Said is dead

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Jan 25th, 2008 03:55 AM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I actually use 'said' when I don't want to call attention to the word that describes 'said.' So basically, if I want the dialogue to be the focus, I use 'said.' If I want the tone or implication of the words to also be immediately recognized, I deviate from 'said.' Don't be afraid to use it just because it is supposedly the most bland way of having a quote. It has its place.

Still, fun list that I just saw today for the first time.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2009 09:04 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Personally I find it more effective to simply not say who's speaking. Just put the line of dialogue out there without much else. I find that doing it this way makes you more alert to trying to specify the verbal nuances and differences between separate characters in order to clarify who is speaking, rather than falling back on using "he said, she said" and what have you. Also that simply feels like clutter, to me.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2009 10:12 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

That can usually work if you only have two people conversing, but it gets confusing when you up it to three or more. Then you really aren't sure who is speaking unless they have very distinct speaking patterns written for them.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 07:56 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yes absolutely true. Thankfully my stuff isn't dialogue heavy so it rarely happens so that more than 3 people are talking at once.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2009 11:35 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

Originally posted by xEsaulx
Amazing! I have problems with using said too much stick out tongue

same
it gets a little repetitve

Old Post Nov 26th, 2009 05:24 AM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lost Magi

writing was created before we could make movies, now we should just write plots and make movies, such an efficient way to convey emotion

Old Post Feb 12th, 2010 02:42 PM
Lost Magi is currently offline Click here to Send Lost Magi a Private Message Find more posts by Lost Magi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Strangelove
Misunderstood Genius

Something I came across that describes my feelings on this rather well.

http://www.lerwill.net/Margo/Writin...%20bookisms.htm

Old Post Jun 8th, 2010 11:25 AM
Strangelove is currently offline Click here to Send Strangelove a Private Message Find more posts by Strangelove Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I find that using other words in place of said/say is rarely helpful and usually just distracts the reader.

Whisper/shout/yell/ask/mutter/murmur are the only ones I use and even then only if I want to convey a particular emotion/tenor, not just for the sake of "variety"

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2012 01:25 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kittiecorner

Words to replace "said"

This list will help me a lot. I have lots of these written down already because I copied them down while reading a Robert McCammon book. He uses the wondrously descriptive words.
I did see that you didn't include "went on," which I use in my own writing.
Thanks again.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2012 05:32 PM
kittiecorner is currently offline Click here to Send kittiecorner a Private Message Find more posts by kittiecorner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote