KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Role Playing » Role Playing Forum » USH'S MATRIX GAME 2006 THIRD ASSIGNMENT- 'The Fortress'

USH'S MATRIX GAME 2006 THIRD ASSIGNMENT- 'The Fortress'
Started by: Ushgarak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (66): « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, let's throw in something.

What does Seraph say to Neo in Reloaded?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:34 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

But "result" is too much of a vague term. Sometimes it isn`t easy to decide which result is better- people have diffrent criterias, preferences etc.

I think that the goal of this programme was to understand how human mind works in regards to warfare- the unpredictable element.

Edit- San said it well, I think.

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:35 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, let's throw in something.

What does Seraph say to Neo in Reloaded?

I don't actually remember as I haven't seen that in a long time...

(goes to look it up)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:36 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Lord Melkor
But "result" is too much of a vague term. Sometimes it isn`t easy to decide which result is better- people have diffrent criterias, preferences etc.

I think that the goal of this programme was to understand how human mind works in regards to warfare- the unpredictable element.

Edit- San said it well, I think.

'Result' has a very specific and important meaning in warfare, though.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

But how do you classify the work of genius as having value?

If the work produced benefits or enhances humanity in some way, I'd say that would be genius having value.

From a war standpoint (and in answer to Ush) genius can have an edge over pure logic, I think. Primarily because genius can be spontaneous and entirely illogical, while still being genius.

For example, the first humans freed from the Matrix re-engineering Machinery so that they can get back into the Matrix, but still be in control. Not a logical action at all from a self-preservation view, but as it helps slightly to level the ground between sides I would say it was genius.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:38 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Melkor

So is "military genius" just the person who has the best results? Why we admire the likes of Hannibal when there were generals who are not well known but likely never lost a major battle?

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

"… his name is Melkor, Lord of All, Giver of Freedeom, and he shall make you stronger than they."
Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:39 PM
Lord Melkor is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Lana
I don't actually remember as I haven't seen that in a long time...

(goes to look it up)

Nvm, found it!

Seraph said that you don't really know someone until you've fought them.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:41 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But take my point from a dry perspective- A result in a battle is whether you win. You can apply a difference to that tactically or strategically, but there is still a definite result.

When it comes to battle, if the Machines win with the same, or even superior, margin as that produced by a genius, why need genius? The result is all that mattters.

So if they aim for a system that gives them those results, you could see how such factors as genius would be ignored by them.

Besides, 'Genius' implies some meausre of accident of birth, and life development. Machines, though, don't work like that. They are created with purpose. A machine 'genius' would be built to be one.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 21st, 2007 at 07:43 PM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:41 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

So is "military genius" just the person who has the best results? Why we admire the likes of Hannibal when there were generals who are not well known but likely never lost a major battle?

Well, that is a fair question. But when it comes to battles, no-one ever got a reputation of genius for failing, no matter how unfair that was.

In warfare, it's ALWAYS been about winning. It's not a nice environment.

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:42 PM
Lord Melkor

Originally posted by General Kaliero
If the work produced benefits or enhances humanity in some way, I'd say that would be genius having value.

From a war standpoint (and in answer to Ush) genius can have an edge over pure logic, I think. Primarily because genius can be spontaneous and entirely illogical, while still being genius.

For example, the first humans freed from the Matrix re-engineering Machinery so that they can get back into the Matrix, but still be in control. Not a logical action at all from a self-preservation view, but as it helps slightly to level the ground between sides I would say it was genius.

Hmm, but if we analyze the famous battles of the likes of Hannibal or Ceasar, aren`t their plans usually logical? Perhaps it is just the logic others cannot grasp at the moment?

And also non-military factors can greatly affect warfare- like leader`s charisma affecting morale, for example.

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:43 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Lana
Nvm, found it!

Seraph said that you don't really know someone until you've fought them.

Well, did you want to make anything of that?

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:45 PM
Lord Melkor

Well, this quote may refer to the purpose of the likes of this "King".

Machines needed to understand how human mind may react while in battle in order to win- beyond this we have the pure propabilities and they may as well play Go and chess. But human fear, determination, loyalty etc... those are all relevant factors that are not easy to grasp for mere Machine.

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:47 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

This is also a fair point, and perhaps is something you might want to consider in how the Machines would go about creating a General. He does noeed to do more than play chess.

What does a Machine general have to be able to do?

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:50 PM
Peach
mordrem

Well, did you want to make anything of that?

Well, I do think it's a fair point, really - people generally reveal far more of their thoughts through their actions then they think they do. You can think you have the measure of a person just by talking to them, but unless you actually see them act, it could very well not be so - whether they're being deceptive or simply keeping things to themselves. However it's far harder to hide things through actions.

And again it ties to what I was saying about acts of genius and desperation - these are largely unpredictable but by studying someone's actions you can at least get some sort of idea of what they may do in a situation where they are truly desperate (I would say sheer genius is far more unpredictable but you could eventually possibly get an idea of what someone may come up with). And what better way is there to see how someone may react like that than if you are the one that made them like that?

Obviously this won't ALWAYS work - you could think you completely have the measure of a person and they could still manage to surprise you. But largely yes, the idea does have a lot of merit and if you can figure out how someone thinks, you could predict how they may likely act.

Last edited by Peach on Mar 21st, 2007 at 07:57 PM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:55 PM
Lord Melkor

As I said, predict how humans can react..... this is the key

Hey, doesn`t this guy seem a bit of megalomaniac so far? But how is this requirement for his job? Too much of a pride may be a huge problem- Napoleon`s ego destroyed him at the end, for example.

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 07:55 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Ok then, well, we have some ideas down. But also some gaps- like the selective nature of these battles, as Berserker mentioned.

Straw poll- what's going on here?

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 08:09 PM
Lord Melkor

Well, aside from the fact that the King was likely studying the human warfare for a very long time, isn`t he likely to know that we are inside? What if he wants to show it to us for particular reason?

Second Diorama wasn`t Issus?

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 08:12 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Sorry- no, but you are on the right track.

---

That this is to your benefit aside, what is going on here in a more theroetical sense, aka related to what we have just been talking about?

BtVS

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 08:14 PM
Peach
mordrem

Ok then, well, we have some ideas down. But also some gaps- like the selective nature of these battles, as Berserker mentioned.

Straw poll- what's going on here?

General Kaliero actually had an idea about why the particular battles that were picked are shown, and what it might mean Sennacherib thought about the war between man and machine, but I'll let him post that as I'm sure he'd kill me for stealing his idea...

As to what it could mean? Could possibly just be an attempt at intimidating us. Could be showing us the fact that he's studied human tactics and psychology extensively. Could be an implication that he knew we were coming and has studied us. Could be a way of saying that for all that humanity has done, they were still defeated.

Hmmm.

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 08:18 PM
Lord Melkor

King was studying certain interesting battles, for the possible reasons I mentioned above.

Though at this point it is likely that he is just doing it for his own pleasure and ego- hasn`t his purpose ended?

Edit- does the Diorama 2 contain elephants?

Sauron to Ar-Pharazôn

Last edited by Lord Melkor on Mar 21st, 2007 at 08:22 PM

Old Post Mar 21st, 2007 08:18 PM