KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » How the hell does Superman store So much energy ?

How the hell does Superman store So much energy ?
Started by: Donkey Punch

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

How the hell does Superman store So much energy ?

When you consider that E=mc2, and that a kilogram of mass releases the equivalent energy of a 22 megaton nuke, and it takes a Billions of nukes to move masses the size of the moon, Superman must be packing a LOT of mass. The guy must literally weigh millions of tons, which complicates things even more, at it would take huge amounts of energy to propel something that heavy around. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 03:11 PM
Donkey Punch is currently offline Click here to Send Donkey Punch a Private Message Find more posts by Donkey Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

In another dimension?

Or alternatively: A wizard did it.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 03:18 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Actually, I just thought of a semi - plausible explanation: One theory holds that he manages to fly by manipulating gravitons and gravity waves, perhaps he can control his mass the same way.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 03:22 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Actually, I just thought of a semi - plausible explanation: One theory holds that he manages to fly by manipulating gravitons and gravity waves, perhaps he can control his mass the same way.

I think that is a really cool idea except when he's exposed to kryptonite and red radiation and he looses all his abilities, he will have the mass of a small mountain. smile Maybe thats why he suffers so much under Kryptonite and red sunlight exposure. Maybe he feeling his organs trying to rip through his skin due to their mass. Just a thought. The weight does has some benefits, i.e. it would explain why he is so frigging durable. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 04:20 PM
Donkey Punch is currently offline Click here to Send Donkey Punch a Private Message Find more posts by Donkey Punch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galvaclaw

E=mc^2 wouldn't be relevent here. It refers to mass being converted into energy. Superman doesn't convert his body mass into energy to perform his super feats so he doesn't need to be super heavy.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 06:26 PM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Magee

It is not real, fiction. Why try and apply real world physics to someone like Superman? His whole being makes no sense when compared to real life.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 06:50 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Galvaclaw
E=mc^2 wouldn't be relevent here. It refers to mass being converted into energy. Superman doesn't convert his body mass into energy to perform his super feats so he doesn't need to be super heavy.

No but the energy he absorbs has to go somewhere. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 11:51 PM
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Magee
It is not real, fiction. Why try and apply real world physics to someone like Superman? His whole being makes no sense when compared to real life.

Why do authors try and apply pseudo physics to him. smile

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2007 11:53 PM
jinXed by JaNx

I always assumed he was able to store so much energy because he was a figmant of someone's imagination.

That and the same way plants store and eat energy. Besides i thought it was gravity that gave him his super strength. If i am right which i know i am. He doesnt really need to store energy, just feast off of it when he wants

Also, try not to introduce science into comics. It wil only make your head hurt. Science only influences comics. How about this. The scientists (comic writers) tell us that the Sun has such a strong impact on Superman because his planet revolved around a red sun. There isnt much difference in energy between a red and yello sun

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 06:31 AM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 06:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I always assumed he was able to store so much energy because he was a figmant of someone's imagination.

That and the same way plants store and eat energy. Besides i thought it was gravity that gave him his super strength. If i am right which i know i am. He doesnt really need to store energy, just feast off of it when he wants

Also, try not to introduce science into comics. It wil only make your head hurt. Science only influences comics. How about this. The scientists (comic writers) tell us that the Sun has such a strong impact on Superman because his planet revolved around a red sun. There isnt much difference in energy between a red and yello sun

I know my friend, but u aren't being very helpful. You sound like a G.C.S.E level student telling his Quantum physics teacher that his theories doesn't really matter because It wont ever effect him. smile

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 01:52 PM
Magee

Yes writers may use science/physics or whatever to explain something but you can never apply it 100% of the time in comics, let it go man. I mean wtf ITS NOT REAL. Obviously writers are not gonna stick to real world laws because its a fuxin comic book. The sooner you understand this and stop trying to apply this shit to everything you see a logical fallacy in, the better

Last edited by Magee on Mar 23rd, 2007 at 02:26 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 02:23 PM
Magee is currently offline Click here to Send Magee a Private Message Find more posts by Magee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yes writers may use science/physics or whatever to explain something but you can never apply it 100% of the time in comics, let it go man. I mean wtf ITS NOT REAL. Obviously writers are not gonna stick to real world laws because its a fuxin comic book. The sooner you understand this and stop trying to apply this shit to everything you see a logical fallacy in, the better

No one asks you to reply so DONT ! smile

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 02:49 PM
Magee

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 03:02 PM
Magee

spam, o noes. Let it go pal.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 03:02 PM
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

spam, o noes. Let it go pal.

Do they have the word Cretin in Scotland ? smile

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 03:03 PM
Magee

No we don't use words, we use grunts and symbols to communicate, I am an exception of course due to my large I.Q.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 04:03 PM
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

No we don't use words, we use grunts and symbols to communicate, I am an exception of course due to my large I.Q.

Rectum size and i.Q. are not the same thing. smile

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 04:21 PM
Galvaclaw

Well, hasn't this got viscous. While you are right Magee, Superman has no solid foundation in reality, it's good to have a discussion here that doesn't involve Superman returns or Goku.

My guess, is Superman must store his energy externally somewhere. He could shunt the energy into a pocket dimension and draw it out when needed. It works for the Hulk and his Mass, why not Superman?

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 05:32 PM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Yellow sunlight causes Superman's atoms to vibrate slightly out of phase with the rest of the universe. This, in turn, slightly uncoils compactified dimensions (discussed in unfication theories), thus releasing enormous amounts of energy.

And now, for my next trick...

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 06:49 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Donkey Punch
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Mindship
Yellow sunlight causes Superman's atoms to vibrate slightly out of phase with the rest of the universe. This, in turn, slightly uncoils compactified dimensions (discussed in unfication theories), thus releasing enormous amounts of energy.

And now, for my next trick...

Originally posted by Galvaclaw

My guess, is Superman must store his energy externally somewhere. He could shunt the energy into a pocket dimension and draw it out when needed. It works for the Hulk and his Mass, why not Superman?

IMO, hyper Dimensions would explain A lot of his powers; including flight. He has hyper dimensional limbs that work in the same sense as our limbs do, except they only work in higher Dimensions. As a consequence we see what looks like flying, but he's really just being 'dragged' across the traditional 3 Dimensions.

Super strength; Our muscle cells work as levers working in three dimensions. Imagine the power of a Hyper Dimensional lever. I cant even begin to imagine how much extra power it would yield .

Invulnerability; Tensile strength is based on molecular density, Imagine how much more molecular bonds one would be able to create, when the his organelle and cell structures stretch into higher Dimensions. And with the immense amounts of mass he is able to store in this Hyper Dimension with ought effecting weight, one can replace molecules as quickly as they brake.

Super senses; His ear drum membrane can be moved, via a higher dimension to the place where the noise is occurring, and he can look through objects by observing via a higher Dimension where the laws of light become different.

Energy Absorption; As mentioned previously light doesn't act in the same way in higher Dimensions, so the problem of energy Absorption is solved. Instead of absorbing light in the traditional £ Dimensional way, he is able to absorb it via extra Dimensions. In turn he can absorb A lot more energy.

Kryptonite. Maybe kryptonian radiation doesn't effect humans, because It only effects extra dimensional objects. Hence when exposed to Kryptonite, his link to the hyper dimensional structure is removed and he becomes human.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2007 06:55 PM