KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Stephen King

Stephen King
Started by: rockycairns

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
rockycairns

Stephen King

ive just been introduced to this guy and hes awesome ive nearly finished Different Seasons a book which consists of four short stories such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me) and im eager to read more of his works

so which would you recommend ??

Old Post Mar 29th, 2007 05:22 PM
rockycairns is currently offline Click here to Send rockycairns a Private Message Find more posts by rockycairns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Salems Lot, IT, Needful Things... those'd be favourites of mine...

dunno if there's a king thread already...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 29th, 2007 07:40 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

stephen king got me into reading a long time ago, because my middle school library had a fair amount of his works. in those three years i probably read about twenty or thirty king books.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2007 10:26 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by manorastroman
stephen king got me into reading a long time ago, because my middle school library had a fair amount of his works. in those three years i probably read about twenty or thirty king books.

my uncle had a huge horror collection, mainly king, so thats how i started... years ago... god its been so long...

need to read a new king book... probably read IT i think...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 31st, 2007 02:55 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

The conclusion to The Dark Tower series made me want to smash light-bulbs into my eyes.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Mar 31st, 2007 05:33 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
The conclusion to The Dark Tower series made me want to smash light-bulbs into my eyes.

that is exactly how i felt at first. I felt cheated. After further contemplation however, i came to appreciate it. It was almost soley a book for the fans, because it was such a personal venture for King. It seemed to tie together the entire stpehen King universe. I think he tried to make the ending open ended for fans so they could create their own ending. I trully believe he tried his best to include his fans in the writing process. At first it felt just the opposite for me though.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 01:36 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Re: Stephen King

Originally posted by rockycairns
ive just been introduced to this guy and hes awesome ive nearly finished Different Seasons a book which consists of four short stories such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me) and im eager to read more of his works

so which would you recommend ??

having read all of his works. I would highly suggest hearts in atlantis and eyes of the dragon (non horror-fantasy tale with a dark ages backdrop). these books are not horror, but showcase Kings dynamics as a writer. Your must read stories though are The talisman (science fiction venture revolving around alternate universes) and salems lot (pure horror), and the shining ( quite possibly the most atmospheric horror story i have read) and one of his most recent books the cell is a very easy and compelling read (story about armageddon with a twist) These are good books to read as a new king fan fan. king has a tendency to draw his stories out, but these four books to me are his shining achievments as a writer.

It is hard to become King fan unless you start out with the right books. you should start out with his easier reads, because sometimes he can be quite complex in his plot wievings. A rare book of his is the long walk, one of his first and very easy and fun weekend read.

but if you liked shawshank, i realy think youll like hearts in atlantis.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2007 01:45 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nyarlathotep :P
Master of Chaos :P

Eyes of the Dragon was my first King book, and I was hooked instantly. Another classic is The Stand. Kind of like Cell in the Armaggedon-y feel, but instead of phones, it's a bio-weapon. I think it's a bit better than Cell because it tells who released it, why, and what happened to those affected. I suggest the expanded and revised edition. (same price, more book)

And if you liked The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile's about Death Row. There's also a movie for Shawshank if you're interested. It's pretty good.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2007 01:44 PM
Nyarlathotep :P is currently offline Click here to Send Nyarlathotep :P a Private Message Find more posts by Nyarlathotep :P Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
manorastroman

looking through king's bibliography, i've read all but firestarter/needful things/delores claiborne/rose madder/everything he's done since dark tower seven. oh, and i guess i haven't read any of his non fiction except danse macabre. point being, out of all those, this is my top ten (no order):

the shining
the stand
the dead zone
the talisman
IT
Misery
Insomnia
desperation/regulators
danse macabre
the dark tower series

out of his short stories, i thought four past midnight, nightmares and dreamscapes, and night shift were all quite good.

hmm...maybe it's time for me to pick up a king book again. it's been a solid five years since i read any king outside of the dark tower franchise. i remember how it happened, too...i read "on the road" and started my "serious" literary career, which ironically led me to profoundly dislike "on the road".

Last edited by manorastroman on Apr 9th, 2007 at 01:26 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2007 01:22 PM
manorastroman is currently offline Click here to Send manorastroman a Private Message Find more posts by manorastroman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I started reading King at school, and have read most of his work. My favourite is probably "The Dark Half" or "Desperation", although I enjoy the short stories too - even if some are a little cheesey.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 07:37 PM
mechmoggy is currently offline Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

I prefer James herbert.

http://www.james-herbert.co.uk

Last edited by Bicnarok on Apr 19th, 2007 at 03:54 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 03:52 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

I liked Rose Madder. It's not a book that seems to come up in conversation a lot, but check it out.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 08:55 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

I've read a lot of King's work and I have to say that Insomnia was my favourite. It demonstrated King's ability to bring diversity into a suffering genre.
A good blend of genres is extremely hard to find and this book did it fantastically. Desperation was also a fantastic work. He seems to be one of the only authors around who can release so much work and the quality not suffer tremendously.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Apr 25th, 2007 09:53 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Bicnarok
I prefer James herbert.

http://www.james-herbert.co.uk

he's defintely easier to read than king

Old Post May 3rd, 2007 09:40 PM
ADarksideJedi
Jackie Malfoy

Some of his books are good.But abit bloody for me.The only ones I like are "Misery" and "Carrie"jm

Morning Glory, ,DamienB(my busband),Spoonly,Tired hiker!a1hsauce,Coucil#13,Kongudude,Scottie,Syren
Killa420,miroku,sanctuary,mairuzu,
KILLA4,JacopexLethalfemme,LadyGrim,ashle,Mišt,oman
32,Scythe,DebbieJo,DeathReaperr,Britrogue,Neha,Joe
K,Mandos,Wild Cherry,Roland,Rogue Jedi,Jaehskywalker,Lord Kerrigor,ALostSoul,Running Mascara,Raventheonly,NewJak,,Captain Maynard,Sparkly,Dominic Gargone.
Majid86, Rudester.

Old Post May 7th, 2007 02:31 PM
ADarksideJedi is currently offline Click here to Send ADarksideJedi a Private Message Find more posts by ADarksideJedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LoneUnknown
You filthy old soomka!

You should try Running Man, I couldn't put it down. The Green Mile and Misery are also really good.

"I'm singing in the rain, just singing in the rain. What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again."

Old Post May 13th, 2007 10:51 PM
LoneUnknown is currently offline Click here to Send LoneUnknown a Private Message Find more posts by LoneUnknown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

on writing was a great read -- not only for those interested in learning a little about writing, but for thoe interested in learning more about the WRITER himself. a very worthwhile read if you like king. smile

Old Post Jun 12th, 2007 05:30 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kid Kurdy

"Dolores Claiborne " is an excellent book. Same for "Misery".

Old Post Jun 12th, 2007 05:52 PM
Kid Kurdy is currently offline Click here to Send Kid Kurdy a Private Message Find more posts by Kid Kurdy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TRH
Grand Poobah

The lanoilers,Secret Window,and The Library Policeman all get a A+ from me

Sig By pittman

Old Post Jun 13th, 2007 04:11 PM
TRH is currently offline Click here to Send TRH a Private Message Find more posts by TRH Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keith Talent
-

He is one of my favorite authors. I'm reading Misery at the moment.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 06:39 AM
Keith Talent is currently offline Click here to Send Keith Talent a Private Message Find more posts by Keith Talent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote