KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Book Discussion Forum » Stephen King

Stephen King
Started by: rockycairns

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
zombieman
The Undead

For anyone that's into creative writing I strongly recommend 'On Writing', King's autobiography. It's very inspiring and full of sound advice. His account of his near-fatal accident reads as suspenfully as one of his novels.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 02:49 PM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

the stand is one of my favourite books by king.

worth checking out

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Jun 15th, 2007 03:40 PM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I got the shining and Night Shift the short story collection a while back have'nt got around to reading them.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2007 05:06 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Ive just read "Cell" an excellent read, I can recommend it.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2007 02:56 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nosada

Ol' Stephen.

I suggest the following:

- The Dark Tower series
- Eyes of the Dragon
- Salem's Lot
- Desperation
- The Shining

I've graduated from King to Koontz over the years. reading

Old Post Jul 30th, 2007 07:43 PM
Nosada is currently offline Click here to Send Nosada a Private Message Find more posts by Nosada Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RedAlertv2

Cell was only ok

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 05:04 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Pandemoniac
Disco Infernal

Pumping out so much stories in his career, and most of them being rather good, he has my admiration. Check out his short stories like The Mist, The moving finger and Quitters inc. if you want to get a taste.
In case you like those, I recommend Misery, Pet Cemetery, Salem's lot, The stand & Needful things.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2007 02:51 AM
Pandemoniac is currently offline Click here to Send Pandemoniac a Private Message Find more posts by Pandemoniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Ive just read "Cell" an excellent read, I can recommend it.

Cell was a very good novel. I hope the movie version is decent.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Sep 19th, 2007 06:06 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selphie
you teasing like you do

Ah man, I STILL haven't finished It. Its such a great book so far, but I always get so busy with other things, I completely forget about it.

I liked Carrie and 'Salem's Lot.

riding high on love's true bluish light

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 03:12 PM
Selphie is currently offline Click here to Send Selphie a Private Message Find more posts by Selphie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
midnightshadow
death before dishonor

with king i would recommened alot of his earlier works. you cant go wrong with carrie, the stand, the dead zone and it. alot of his newer work *cough* cell! *cough* i feel is just not up to par with his classics.
also if you like king i would recommend james herbert and dean koontz as well as shaun hutson. just be warned that hutson tends to be quite gory

[B]in the real world as in dreams
nothing is quite what it seems![B]

Old Post Sep 21st, 2007 03:16 PM
midnightshadow is currently offline Click here to Send midnightshadow a Private Message Find more posts by midnightshadow Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rader
Person

DARK TOWER!!! I loves it! I just finished Wizard and Glass. Really boring during parts, but an all around great read. BTW the first 50 pages or so in the gunslinger are incredibly boring so it may be hard to get into. But seriously read the tower

Old Post Oct 31st, 2007 06:28 AM
rader is currently offline Click here to Send rader a Private Message Find more posts by rader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Walker.I

I've only read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" but I'm reading "Misery" now.

I knew you wouldn't give up. . .

Old Post Nov 25th, 2007 05:33 PM
Walker.I is currently offline Click here to Send Walker.I a Private Message Find more posts by Walker.I Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by TRH
The lanoilers,Secret Window,and The Library Policeman all get a A+ from me

yep all excellent short storys

for huge reading, read the stand.

for suffering and the feeling of hopelessness, read 'misery'

"How about this? Shut your mouth...Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and shut it for you."

Old Post Nov 28th, 2007 12:33 AM
Deano is currently offline Click here to Send Deano a Private Message Find more posts by Deano Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

I like some of Steven Kings books, but I really liked the Langolers. Suspenseful.

I'm not sure it was a book.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2007 04:03 AM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Re: Stephen King

Originally posted by rockycairns
ive just been introduced to this guy and hes awesome ive nearly finished Different Seasons a book which consists of four short stories such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Body (Stand by Me) and im eager to read more of his works

so which would you recommend ??

Short story wise pick up Skeleton crew, there are loads of short stories in there and I am currently reading them, and most of the stories are good.

Full novels now that is a hard one you have the likes of, Salem's lot, Pet cemetery, The tommyknockers, the stand, firestarter, IT, Shining, Carrie, The running man, Cujo ect.

So I can't really recommend a select few novels since each one is great in a different way.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Old Post Apr 7th, 2008 12:19 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

King is one of my favorite authors, hands down. That man's imagination is inspiring.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Apr 10th, 2008 10:17 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
oakling

What do people think about his horror books versus non-horror? To me his horror seems kind of same-ish, at least in the language he uses. All his books sound alike to me.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2008 09:54 PM
oakling is currently offline Click here to Send oakling a Private Message Find more posts by oakling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deano

Originally posted by Deja~vu
I like some of Steven Kings books, but I really liked the Langolers. Suspenseful.

I'm not sure it was a book.

it was a short story. a very good one too

Old Post Apr 19th, 2008 05:15 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Originally posted by oakling
What do people think about his horror books versus non-horror? To me his horror seems kind of same-ish, at least in the language he uses. All his books sound alike to me.

Most of his stuff is horror, but when he does non-horror, he excels at it, also. Just read Hearts in Atlantis and The Green Mile. Both are excellent reads.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2008 09:02 PM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkinpark200

My brother just finished Cujo he said was a very good book ,ill read it soon once im done with Womens Murder Club Series.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2008 11:55 PM
Linkinpark200 is currently offline Click here to Send Linkinpark200 a Private Message Find more posts by Linkinpark200 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote