KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Star Wars Vs. Star Trek (with a twist)

Which franchise has stood the test of time best?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Star Trek 11 29.73%
Star Wars 26 70.27%
Total: 37 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Star Wars Vs. Star Trek (with a twist)
Started by: Tiberius

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
MadMel
Heh

i say SW, it has a massive fanbase, and probably will for a long time

Old Post May 10th, 2007 10:59 AM
MadMel is currently offline Click here to Send MadMel a Private Message Find more posts by MadMel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vintageSW77
MANCUNIAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHBqi5Lv54

Old Post May 14th, 2007 04:35 PM
vintageSW77 is currently offline Click here to Send vintageSW77 a Private Message Find more posts by vintageSW77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

This is nothing but a popularity contest.

Might as well have just asked "Which do you like better?"

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 02:08 AM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

star wars wins for me

I do like both, all the star wars movies are great, the clone wars show was good hope the cg version is good too. and the TV live action show is good.

star trek is good too the original and next generation, DS9 wasn't good till the war (there is that word WAR) with the dominion. and voyager sucked the whole way with captain helium, Jeri Ryan added some eye candy to it but nothing to make me watch it religously? and I did enjoy enterprise until they butchered the final episodes to end it quick.
the best episode of that one is in the mirror darkly, the alternate universe 2 part episode, with the war (there's that word again) with the rebels.

go here to see star wars vs star trek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNxhrPaaCA4

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 03:41 AM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Is there really going to be a live action star wars show? I mean i know there are respectable sites saying that it is due out in 2009, but lucas and company have done nothing but deny this. I thought he there was just going to be two one hour tv movies. Has there been anything that has come from lucas industries saying there is going to be a live action tv show?

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 06:28 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, there is. It's going to be a one hundred episode series, I think.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 02:35 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

100 episodes of bad writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 06:05 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Count Makashi
Count Dookus number 1 fan

You are a defiler, you must pay a price. stick out tongue

General G made this sig, but i am going to keep annoying him.

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 07:38 PM
Count Makashi is currently offline Click here to Send Count Makashi a Private Message Find more posts by Count Makashi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Well I wouldn't be so hideously annoying if Lucas hadn't made such a botched job of the PT. Blame him laughing out loud

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jun 19th, 2007 09:06 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

The PT was just as good as the OT in my opinion, let me ask you this exanda kane. Do you own the PT? if not then you can say that Lucas bothced it. if you do own it you can't say he botched cause obviously you liked them enough to buy them.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2007 04:08 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LastdaysofKMC
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Star Wars Vs. Star Trek (with a twist)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tiberius
Which franchise has stood the test of time best?

Before anyone starts, I love both!

Good point Tman... I wonder if you will ever return?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2008 09:56 PM
LastdaysofKMC is currently offline Click here to Send LastdaysofKMC a Private Message Find more posts by LastdaysofKMC Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
farsight

i am a star wars fan and , even if i don't like star trek , i recognize a few things.
star wars in a "heroic-fantasy-space opera" , star trek is a sort of "space-opera" , this is very different , and as so , it would be rather curious to compare the two , like comparing Songoku (dragonball ) and super man ...you cannot compare two things that have only a fews things in common (in this case, for SW and ST , space ships and aliens...) but a big bunch of differences:

SW technology is "magical" , not logic , and most of the time , quite illogic.tactics are derived from medieval age, at best ( giant battleships bombing themselves at close range ??? soldiers in close formation under enmy fire ??? silly at best ! and so on )There is magic (the force) , super villains , good guys and bad guys.Evil is evil , good is good (no reflexion , except with Vader's case ,about the thin line between evil and good , or about doing bad for a greater good (rebels for exemple , are never presented for what they are : a terrorist organisation , they bomb cities , kill thousand of soldiers etc etc , they do it for the greater good , but they remain what they are : rebels,milicians , demaguogues ).Aliens/humans are everywhere mixed (except in the Palpatine empire , of course, but it is an exception, even among the sith empires)Star wars is all about style , not thinking .

ST technology and tactics are logical , efficient and less"holliwoodian",
there are no villains (real bad people that are bad because...they are bad (typical of america and impossible to find in europe or japan) there are people that get angry for good(or bad) reasons , but there is a reason.Aliens and humans meet , but find each other disgusting (logical) and rarely mix.Wars are the extension of these relations.
ST is a real SF story , about thinking , not style.

I prefer SW , even with it's many flaws , because , if star wars is heroic-fantasy disguised in sf , it remains that it is a good heroic-fantasy tale(execpt for episodes 1-2-3 that are stupid films for children and stupid people).
I don't like ST because i have read I.Asimov's, K.Dicks',C.Simak's,A.E. Van Goght 's .... books , and i have come to the conclusion that ST is science fiction for children.SF's soul is in books.So , watching ST is a waste of time.....i am not even speaking of the ships/costumes/characters designs/... that are ...a joke !

Old Post May 20th, 2008 12:03 PM
farsight is currently offline Click here to Send farsight a Private Message Find more posts by farsight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Winter Soldier
Who cares...

Being a fan of both for different reasons, I find it interesting that the majority of you consider Star Trek more cultish than Star Wars. Couple of things to consider that effectively counterpoint that viewpoint:

1. Star Wars doesn't exist w/o both the Jedi and Sith...two cults. And it's not just enough to classify them as cults. The ideologies of both are the epitamy of what it means to be a cult. Examples are too numerous to list when you have to be in the office at 1.

2. Several nations census bureaus actually list Jedi as a religion, because for years so many would write Jedi in the "Other" section of the form.

3. Star Wars Fans are so fanatical, a large number actually contemplate The Force. It's most often capitalized in the same fashion as the word God. And they equate and explain real life happenings with the will of The Force, in much the same way Christians say things like "We can do all things through Christ" or "The Lord moves in mysterious ways".

Star Trek on the other hand is about an "enlightened humanity", with no need for religion or cults because virtually everything has been explained already thru science. And they fanatically seek to expand their knowledge of the universe thru science. So really, their all geeks! And geeks aren't cool, right?

Lastly, to the original question posed as to which has better stood the test of time...Star Wars with ease. Star Wars has iconic elements that has and will always appeal to the next generation of us. Star Wars has LIGHTSABERS! And The Force and Darth Vader and a backstory (EU) you can expand on exponentially. And most importantly a continuing battle between good and evil. Star trek has nothing that counters any of those, so despite being the older franchise, it's not the powerhouse that Star Wars is. erm

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species that I realized you aren't actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. And the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we...are the cure.

Old Post May 20th, 2008 05:08 PM
Winter Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Winter Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Winter Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BetrayedUnicorn
...its science,dear

quote: (post)
Originally posted by exanda kane
100 episodes of bad writing roll eyes (sarcastic)

And bad acting,most likely

-Saint Nicholas-

Old Post May 22nd, 2008 11:36 PM
BetrayedUnicorn is currently offline Click here to Send BetrayedUnicorn a Private Message Find more posts by BetrayedUnicorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote