KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Star Destroyer Vs Enterprise D

Star Destroyer vs Enterprise D
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Star Destroyer 29 64.44%
Enterprise D 16 35.56%
Total: 45 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Star Destroyer Vs Enterprise D
Started by: MasterAshenVor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Grand-Moff-Gav

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Master Han
I just had to bump this thread because of the sheer stupidity here.

Do you seriously think that all sci-fi shields must have a "frequency", just because they exist in the pseudoscientific world of Star Trek, where phasers are described as "phase coherent" lasers, even though lasers are already phase coherent?

Do you even understand what the word "frequency" means? On exactly what basis do you assume that a geometric shield somehow has a "frequency", and even if it did, how would this be even remotely relevant?

You do realize that altering a weapon's frequency does nothing to change its power output, right?

Dude, I love you, but you are a *****! Wooow, go easy.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2013 07:53 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Dude, I love you, but you are a *****! Wooow, go easy.
Yeah, he does that.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Aug 16th, 2013 at 03:36 AM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 03:25 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yeah, he does that.

Ah Lord Lucian, my old ally. Whatever happened to the chap carrying books in the library?

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 07:13 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, he does that.

Don't you think lying and making shit up, as "robtard" was doing, is less ethically acceptable than asking condescending rhetorical questions?

See what I did there... evil face

Old Post Aug 16th, 2013 04:41 PM
Master Han is currently offline Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reflection
Restricted

Account Restricted

Time travel! The Enterprise D has it.... The Empire does not!

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 01:53 AM
Reflection is currently offline Click here to Send Reflection a Private Message Find more posts by Reflection Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Reflection
Time travel! The Enterprise D has it.... The Empire does not!

Except that Star Trek time travel just creates alternate timelines, it doesn't actually change anything per-say.

Furthermore, it's quite a stretch to say that the Enterprise could use whatever device-of-the-week to time travel before the star destroyer blows it to atoms with its orders of magnitude superior weaponry.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 01:56 AM
Master Han is currently offline Click here to Send Master Han a Private Message Find more posts by Master Han Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Reflection
Restricted

Account Restricted

Except that Star Trek time travel just creates alternate timelines, it doesn't actually change anything per-say.

Furthermore, it's quite a stretch to say that the Enterprise could use whatever device-of-the-week to time travel before the star destroyer blows it to atoms with its orders of magnitude superior weaponry.

Hmmm, Star Trek 'Enterprise' had time travel being very relevant to specific timelines with the 'temporal cold war'. Although I'll grant you the recent events in the movies contradict this somewhat. If they go back unopposed they could simply prevent the Empire happening and defeat not just the Star Destroyer, but the entire Empire. The City on the Edge of Forever also showed events in the past being altered and then changed back.

Last edited by Reflection on Aug 17th, 2013 at 02:26 AM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 02:21 AM
Reflection is currently offline Click here to Send Reflection a Private Message Find more posts by Reflection Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
Ah Lord Lucian, my old ally. Whatever happened to the chap carrying books in the library?
Turns out it was just cartoon Macaulay Culkin.

Don't you think lying and making shit up, as "robtard" was doing, is less ethically acceptable than asking condescending rhetorical questions?

See what I did there... evil face
Sure. Makes you more of an *sshole, though.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 03:00 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sure. Makes you more of an *sshole, though.

Meh. I'm really nice in real life, and to most people online. But I feel no need to pamper debaters that casually lie and misrepresent facts. The internet =/= RL social settings.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 03:32 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, you're a keyboard warrior.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 06:38 AM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, you're a keyboard warrior.

Because you were ultra-courteous to me in our little dispute. roll eyes (sarcastic) Not like you initiated the insults, or anything.

And whether I'm a "keyboard warrior" has no relevance to whether or not my facts are accurate, just so you know.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 01:20 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Time travel in Star Trek only created an alternate universe for the JJ-verse. Almost every other instance impacted the main timeline.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2013 01:38 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Because you were ultra-courteous to me in our little dispute. roll eyes (sarcastic) Not like you initiated the insults, or anything.

And whether I'm a "keyboard warrior" has no relevance to whether or not my facts are accurate, just so you know.
No. But now you need to improve your discernment of written intentions, and scale back the pretentious d-baggery. That'll take some time and trial 'n error.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2013 03:08 AM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

No. But now you need to improve your discernment of written intentions, and scale back the pretentious d-baggery. That'll take some time and trial 'n error.

When I specifically addressed your accusations of my making strawman distortions and pointed out that you shifted your position and conveniently ignored obvious factual errors in your argument, you responded with the classic "vaguely restate my original position and declare victory" tactic.

Which...hey, you're doing again here. Right after I point out that you were a far bigger douche than I was and initiated the hostility, you respond by...restating your contention without any semblance of addressing the point.

Do you really think the "I work in mysterious ways" bluffing tactic hasn't been tried before? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Aug 18th, 2013 12:55 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

No, but I'm the only one who's ever got it to work. Patent's pending.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2013 02:40 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

I just had to bump this thread because of the sheer stupidity here.

Do you seriously think that all sci-fi shields must have a "frequency", just because they exist in the pseudoscientific world of Star Trek, where phasers are described as "phase coherent" lasers, even though lasers are already phase coherent?

Do you even understand what the word "frequency" means? On exactly what basis do you assume that a geometric shield somehow has a "frequency", and even if it did, how would this be even remotely relevant?

You do realize that altering a weapon's frequency does nothing to change its power output, right?
Adding to my previous contention that SW shields don't have frequencies, as they are never mentioned or suggested, and there is nothing inherent in the known characteristics of a shield that would require its having a "frequency" any more than one would expect a sword to have a "frequency"...

Even without shielding, a star destroyer's hull is too strong for any photon torpedo to penetrate. We're talking about a disparity in firepower and defensive capabilities of multiple orders of magnitude; a single heavy turbolaser bolt could yield teratons, more energy than what is released in the Enterprise's entire torpedo complement.

This is confirmed in Saxton's ICS's, and if you refuse to accept them as canon, you still have the numerous examples in the films of ships demonstrating truly astronomical power generation capabilities, such as the Death Star's e38 joule superlaser, or the imperial fleet's circumnavigating Endor in under a minute.

It's like matching the Yammato against a ship of the line.

You're just making up a lot of shit and trying to hide it under a lot of words while applying demeaning tactics for deflection purposes. That's silly and not original. eg "Geometric shield" laughing out loud on the surface it looks fancy, by really, you just said "shape" + "shield". Didn't mention anything of power out, so that's a strawman, but I'm sure that was your intention, all part of the deflection tactics.

Now you're just rehashing old Stardestroyer.net and the like talking points and using silly "just too powerful for Star Trek to do anything" rhetoric.

Tell you what, get a valid point and then rant. smile

hewhoknowsall?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 21st, 2013 at 09:06 PM

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 08:54 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah I've been wondering if it's Rudy too.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 10:12 PM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

This talk of "frequencies" is not very relevant to the point that the ISD could vaporize the Enterprise with a single medium turbolaser bolt, based not only on the ICS, but on calculations and scalings from acceleration feats seen in the original movies. Nonetheless...

tl;dr version: read a science textbook, shields do not have frequencies, except in Star Trek's odd pseudoscientific world. They are never mentioned in Star Wars.

Originally posted by Robtard
You're just making up a lot of shit and trying to hide it under a lot of words while applying demeaning tactics for deflection purposes. That's silly and not original. eg "Geometric shield" laughing out loud on the surface it looks fancy, by really, you just said "shape" + "shield". Didn't mention anything of power out, so that's a strawman, but I'm sure that was your intention, all part of the deflection tactics.

Now you're just rehashing old Stardestroyer.net and the like talking points and using silly "just too powerful for Star Trek to do anything" rhetoric.

Tell you what, get a valid point and then rant. smile

This actually has nothing to do with my point whatsoever.

The point is that you have absolutely no clue what the word "frequency" actually means. You seem to be under the impression that it's a property all hypothetical energy shields must carry, when in reality, precisely the opposite is true; there's no reason to believe that a shaped, stationary, physical barrier would have an attribute associated with waves, and even if it did, "matching" it would make little to no difference. Star Trek's use of shield frequencies is a brain bug, not a universal constant.

If you wish to prove me wrong, go ahead and find a single example in Star Wars lore where shields are described as having frequencies.

(he's a sock! wah!)

...OK, a quick google search later, I'm wondering if you're on crack.

Do this guy's posts even remotely resemble my writing style? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Even more interestingly, to hint at my age, I would have had to be less than 13 to have registered at his registration date.

Last edited by Master Han on Aug 22nd, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 09:38 PM
Master Han
Restricted

Account Restricted

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2013 10:12 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

...OK, a quick google search later, I'm wondering if you're on crack.

Do this guy's posts even remotely resemble my writing style? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Even more interestingly, to hint at my age, I would have had to be less than 13 to have registered at his registration date.
That's not a hint, that's a flat out admission that you're 18. Which is fitting, since he had the mentality of a young teenager, and you have the writing quirks of an older teenager trying to prove/show off how smart he thinks he is. Your thread about PT plot holes is a glaring example of that (why re-list everything Plinkett's reviews raised and simultaneously admit you know about Plinkett's reviews--either you're trying to siphon off vicarious credit to prop up your ego, or you're hoping no one on this forum knew about them before you came along).

Nobody who's confident in themselves or their public image would open a rebuttal by saying "how long they've been debating". You have the attitude of someone who feels he is well suited to inform people, instruct them on things they obviously know nothing about, and is under the impression that he's unique in some intellectual way and most demonstrate it to tEh internet. That's likely the explanation behind your sudden turn to the science field and power-output arguing in that thread^, instead of realizing that poetic license and material one-upmanship was the issue being criticized.

You're a teenager, and a very typical one. That's great kid, don't get cocky.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Aug 23rd, 2013 at 04:44 AM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2013 04:29 AM