KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Should Mod's have to explain bans

Should they?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 54.84%
No 14 45.16%
Total: 31 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Should Mod's have to explain bans
Started by: {{QS}}

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

I would appreciate more information in some cases.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 02:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Such as the information provided in PVS's profile yes

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 03:41 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Syren
Such as the information provided in PVS's profile yes

that will likely be a copy paste explanation in case anyone does what ive done intentionally or otherwise. i wouldnt expect them to have to write a damn essay for every ban....i mean....would you? ....for no money, even?

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post Apr 18th, 2007 11:02 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

I think yes, they should. Atleast a small explanation written down in maybe their sigs? It would also help alot for a "Banned" person to be allowed to log in for one more day for atleast explaining something or finding out why they are banned. I have also seen mods start to overabuse their powers. And some of them even act like their much more important people then normal users. And thats not true. They are people who keep the law here, but they preety much aren't more important.

Think of police officers and civilians. Police officers aren't any bit more important then the civilians. In our case, it's the members that make up the community so Mods should be just as respective and well-mannered to the normal members.

Oh yeah, and the "Eclipso Irony" is just hilarious.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 12:39 AM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Spidervlad
I think yes, they should. Atleast a small explanation written down in maybe their sigs? It would also help alot for a "Banned" person to be allowed to log in for one more day for atleast explaining something or finding out why they are banned. I have also seen mods start to overabuse their powers. And some of them even act like their much more important people then normal users. And thats not true. They are people who keep the law here, but they preety much aren't more important.

Think of police officers and civilians. Police officers aren't any bit more important then the civilians. In our case, it's the members that make up the community so Mods should be just as respective and well-mannered to the normal members.

Oh yeah, and the "Eclipso Irony" is just hilarious.

A small description is written in their profiles when they are banned. A member can always get someone to have a moderator e-mail them if they want to plead their case.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 12:52 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

First of all, some moderators don't have email addresses. Second of all, ALMOST ALL the moderators don't read their PM Messages because of the amount they get, and if they see an email address which comes to their email that is unfamiliar, i'm sure they will regard it as spam. We need to encourage Moderators to take all this seriously, and to regard every Banning, socking, or even warning case as top priority.

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 12:58 AM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Spidervlad
First of all, some moderators don't have email addresses. Second of all, ALMOST ALL the moderators don't read their PM Messages because of the amount they get, and if they see an email address which comes to their email that is unfamiliar, i'm sure they will regard it as spam. We need to encourage Moderators to take all this seriously, and to regard every Banning, socking, or even warning case as top priority.

Actually I know almost every moderators e-mail address(es), every moderator I've ever PM'ed has read the message I sent them and either responded in kind or acknowledge the message in another way. I used to be a moderator...they don't receive as many PM's as you would think. If a member wants to email a mod then he/she can put as the title "This is So&So from KMC".

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 01:15 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

Gotta agree with Puzzle here, and most of the mods treat members with a decent amount of respect. What more do you want, really? At the end of the day, the mods are there for a specific purpose. They are in a position of authority and do have to means to assert that, would you rather we were all 'equal' and all hell broke loose?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 08:34 AM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Syren
would you rather we were all 'equal' and all hell broke loose?

Yes

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 05:39 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

People who are banned know why they are banned, they are the only people who need to know. There is a difference between transparency (which there is because the rules are public and people know why they are banned) and too much transparency (moderators their every actions being under the scrutiny of tens of members.) It could very well lead to a situation in which moderation would be almost impossible.

PS: In the end it's all up to Raz and as he said KMC ain't a democracy!

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 05:48 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
{{QS}}
Used to be quickshot

I only brought this up due to new rules brought in on another board i go on.Moderator's were getting ban-happy and so it was made for a ban to take place it had to be discussed between 3 of the mods and a topic made explaining the ban.But after being banned i now know that the message at the bottom of a profile is also the message the banned member gets, and i don't think they need to be told why there banned.

P.S Sorry about not having anything in my profile regarding the issue with my old account.

Free to wreak havoc

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 06:33 PM
{{QS}} is currently offline Click here to Send {{QS}} a Private Message Find more posts by {{QS}} Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

my issue is that they're so damn bound to protocol with regards to proxy/spoof i.p. sock trolls.
why does a sock troll actually have to admit they are a sock troll in order to be banned? they always follow the same patterns, always seem to instantly begrudge otf/gdf members which they had supposedly never even come across, and always is the case that everyone knows who they are. whats the worst thats going to happen? you might ban some idiot by accident? ok then, who will be served a lawsuit for such a mistake? thats right, nobody.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 06:38 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

Originally posted by Schecter
my issue is that they're so damn bound to protocol with regards to proxy/spoof i.p. sock trolls.
why does a sock troll actually have to admit they are a sock troll in order to be banned? they always follow the same patterns, always seem to instantly begrudge otf/gdf members which they had supposedly never even come across, and always is the case that everyone knows who they are. whats the worst thats going to happen? you might ban some idiot by accident? ok then, who will be served a lawsuit for such a mistake? thats right, nobody.

Amen.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 06:54 PM
Islamic_Cleric
Restricted

Account Restricted

why does a sock troll actually have to admit they are a sock troll in order to be banned?

I'm sure the global mods can ban anyone they want.

Originally posted by Schecter always seem to instantly begrudge otf/gdf members which they had supposedly never even come across, [/B]

fantasy, I suspect having read this it's more of a problem to those members.

Yup thought so.

whats the worst thats going to happen? you might ban some idiot by accident?

Ever been theatened with a ban or banned? Did you agree with it, i'm sure many trolls agree with the ban and just enjoy coming on and playing. I'm sure it's not malicious because you don't see someone going on a hard proxy, pretty much untraceable (so i've heard wink) with an internet provider who keeps no records and posting anything really bad. I'm sure any adequate sock troll could do this. You also don't see them going to v bulletins site which i'm sure some belong to and have paid the vbulletin licence (only about one hundred and sixty pounds the warez versions are on torrent) when there was a fault in ebulletins security 3 years ago coming on and exploiting it.

ok then, who will be served a lawsuit for such a mistake? thats right, nobody.

I don't see this happening either, I also don't see anyone on a large hub emailing their provider and complaining about the site and getting it blocked by that provider. In that area. If you are a paying subscriber you could do this under local laws for a variety of reasons. I think though that is unlikely. An easy way of doing it in the U.K is if you had posted your picture and someone reposted it after you were banned in a derogatory way you can do this anonymously if you can prove the image is you.
Most trolls just troll for threads like this! Where people say things like this

Anywhoo, Peace be with you brother.

Last edited by Islamic_Cleric on Apr 19th, 2007 at 07:35 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 07:24 PM
Islamic_Cleric is currently offline Click here to Send Islamic_Cleric a Private Message Find more posts by Islamic_Cleric Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

^^^^
this is what i mean. its a joke that he still has this account. worrying about who's flaming who while this clown spams the forum is like spit-shining a car with 4 flat tires and a cracked engine block.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2007 07:34 PM
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you basically want anyone you don't like banned? Eclipso was banned because he was trying to pester members. Having different political views is not the same thing. And the reason they don't ban people without proof is that sometimes people can get paranoid and start accusing everyone of being that person.

Burn Baby, BURN!!!My Sig Artwork

Old Post Apr 20th, 2007 04:58 PM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Starhawk
So you basically want anyone you don't like banned? Eclipso was banned because he was trying to pester members. Having different political views is not the same thing. And the reason they don't ban people without proof is that sometimes people can get paranoid and start accusing everyone of being that person.

i thought we had an agreement. you stfu about eclipso and we'll pretend hes not you. anyway, that quote had nothing to do with you, so why dont you shut up now.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2007 10:21 PM
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

i thought we had an agreement. you stfu about eclipso and we'll pretend hes not you. anyway, that quote had nothing to do with you, so why dont you shut up now.

That quote is now profiled happy

Come on man, give it up...

Old Post Apr 20th, 2007 10:26 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starhawk
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's true, you can't ban everyone you don't like. And you can't go around accusing others without any proof. They did that in the 50's in the US during the Red Scare and allot of innocent people's lives were ruined.

Burn Baby, BURN!!!My Sig Artwork

Old Post Apr 20th, 2007 10:53 PM
Starhawk is currently offline Click here to Send Starhawk a Private Message Find more posts by Starhawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

It's true, you can't ban everyone you don't like. And you can't go around accusing others without any proof. They did that in the 50's in the US during the Red Scare and allot of innocent people's lives were ruined.

You and Eclipso like alot of the same things.

How long you been friends?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2007 11:23 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote