KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Is PSP better than DS hardware wise?

Is PSP better than DS hardware wise?
Started by: Sai1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sai1

Is PSP better than DS hardware wise?

Recently, I was looking at the latest Gundam Seed game in action(Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T.)for PSP and was rather impressed. Granted I'm not that familiar with either system but I don't recall seeing any DS games looking that good.

Old Post May 6th, 2007 06:22 AM
Sai1 is currently offline Click here to Send Sai1 a Private Message Find more posts by Sai1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah.

It always have been. That's its major downfall in my opinion.

Old Post May 6th, 2007 06:32 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

PSP is much better graphically. Much more powerful and such.

Old Post May 6th, 2007 08:49 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

By 'hardware wise' I assume you mean sheer horsepower.

Because some might say that the DS' use of hardware is better, and how else can you describe the second screen except as hardware as well?

The DS basically proved to the world that processing power alone does not a good product make, simply by showing up the PSP. If Nintendo manage to make it two for two with the Wii as well then it may well cause a sizeable shift in the way the gaming industray works- for the last decade it's all been about screaming for more power.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 6th, 2007 01:17 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
By 'hardware wise' I assume you mean sheer horsepower.

Because some might say that the DS' use of hardware is better, and how else can you describe the second screen except as hardware as well?

The DS basically proved to the world that processing power alone does not a good product make, simply by showing up the PSP. If Nintendo manage to make it two for two with the Wii as well then it may well cause a sizeable shift in the way the gaming industray works- for the last decade it's all been about screaming for more power.

I want a DS, unfortunutly there is only like 5 games for it that I want.

Metroid
New Mario
Mario Kart
Zelda
Mario 64

Unlike the PSP, which has about 10-15 games that I like:

Metal gear ops
Metal gear acid 1 & 2
Gta vice
Gta liberty
socom 1 & 2
Killzone
syphon filter
god of war TBD
medal of honor
call of suty

Old Post May 6th, 2007 06:56 PM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
((The_Anomaly))
2003 Super Senior Member

Re: Is PSP better than DS hardware wise?

Originally posted by Sai1
Recently, I was looking at the latest Gundam Seed game in action(Mobile Suit Gundam Seed: Rengou vs. Z.A.F.T.)for PSP and was rather impressed. Granted I'm not that familiar with either system but I don't recall seeing any DS games looking that good.

In terms of sheer graphical and processing power yes the PSP hardware is better then the DS hardware. But while the DS lacks in one aspect of the hardware it makes up for with another in the touch screen. Like the Wii, the DS's hardware is new and interesting and innovative, rather then just the same thing but with more power. So take your pick really.. go with Nintendo who is going with new interesting ways of playing, or the other guys who are just interested in crunching CPU numbers.

BRAWL FRIEND CODE: 3823-8176-3726

Old Post May 6th, 2007 07:58 PM
((The_Anomaly)) is currently offline Click here to Send ((The_Anomaly)) a Private Message Find more posts by ((The_Anomaly)) Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
{{QS}}
Used to be quickshot

PSP's own but their expensive and are quite easy to break but DS's suffer from nintendo's three greatest issues 1.Poor Graphics 2.Lack of games 3.Bad idea's that somehow get popular (Brain Training anyone?)

Free to wreak havoc

Old Post May 6th, 2007 08:19 PM
{{QS}} is currently offline Click here to Send {{QS}} a Private Message Find more posts by {{QS}} Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kardinal

PSP is no doubt better than DS hardware wise; software is another matter. The graphics are a generation ahead IMO, PSP looks as good as PS2, while DS still looks like N64 to me. The downloadable PS1 games, expandable memory, LocationFree Player & UMD movies are a nice touch. Actually pretty amazing what they were able to squeeze into the little machine. Now if only they could make it cheaper and the battery last longer. DS is leaps and bounds ahead in software though. What good are great looking titles if there are only a handful of good ones...

Old Post May 6th, 2007 09:13 PM
Kardinal is currently offline Click here to Send Kardinal a Private Message Find more posts by Kardinal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

The DS has poor graphics and a lack of good games?

News to me.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 6th, 2007 09:41 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

Originally posted by Kardinal
PSP is no doubt better than DS hardware wise; software is another matter. The graphics are a generation ahead IMO, PSP looks as good as PS2, while DS still looks like N64 to me. The downloadable PS1 games, expandable memory, LocationFree Player & UMD movies are a nice touch. Actually pretty amazing what they were able to squeeze into the little machine. Now if only they could make it cheaper and the battery last longer. DS is leaps and bounds ahead in software though. What good are great looking titles if there are only a handful of good ones...

Its only $40 more than the DS dude. I could spend that at a Rockies game without trying

Old Post May 7th, 2007 01:23 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Seeing how the PsP is a broken design, considering no second analog stick, I have to give this to the DS. This however is like picking two piles of shit. One pile doesnt smell so bad and plays only children games with poor retro graphics, the other pile smells of horribly wasted potential while utilizing an incredible screen to view your shit through. PsP produces only shit games that smell worse than the system itself, but atleast look good while smelling like shit

Old Post May 8th, 2007 12:27 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spartan005

Originally posted by Lana
The DS has poor graphics and a lack of good games?

News to me.

Compared to the PSP the graphics are not nearly as good, but I completely disagree that it doesn't have any good games... New Super mario bros, mario kart, mario 64 ds, metroid, Yoshi's island, spiderman etc.

Thanks Vinny!

Old Post May 8th, 2007 01:14 AM
Spartan005 is currently offline Click here to Send Spartan005 a Private Message Find more posts by Spartan005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kardinal

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Its only $40 more than the DS dude. I could spend that at a Rockies game without trying

lol can't argue that the extra $40 is definately worth it, but I guess I really meant that both the DS and PSP are too expensive, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. $50 on top of the price of the PS2 to get it portable is reasonable. If only it game with PS2's game library...

Old Post May 8th, 2007 07:01 AM
Kardinal is currently offline Click here to Send Kardinal a Private Message Find more posts by Kardinal Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I think thats the problem of the PSP.

It's not the design but the software library. It consists of way too much console ports and not enough original games, and considering most of the ports are completely unaware that handheld gaming is different than console.

How many times do I have read in EGM saying that the game sucks because of the lack of control stick. That's because the developers never thought of trying something different.

Look at the DS, developers are using the dual screen and the touch screen to its original purpose. Thats why its selling like nuts.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 07:21 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Indeed so. The DS is just a much better design concept. Nintedo have got it right from the ground up.

The PSP is exactly what it says it is- a portable Playstation. That's not actually that useful. Nintendo never tried to make the DS a portable Gamecube. It CAN kinda act in that way, but it's not the main object, hence horsepower not being the priority.

DS is annihilating the competition because of this.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 8th, 2007 11:01 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I dont mind if the PSP had all those graphics if the developers and Sony actually used them to thier advantage and created original games.

Why the hell do I want to play GTA3 and GTA Vice City again on an small screen.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 05:32 PM
Kardinal

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Indeed so. The DS is just a much better design concept. Nintedo have got it right from the ground up.

The PSP is exactly what it says it is- a portable Playstation. That's not actually that useful. Nintendo never tried to make the DS a portable Gamecube. It CAN kinda act in that way, but it's not the main object, hence horsepower not being the priority.

DS is annihilating the competition because of this.

Considering that Playstation 2 is the most sucessful console ever released, you can't knock them for thinking that a portable version would have worked just as well. It just didn't turn out that way and I don't think it's Sony's fault, it's more the developers who like someone said don't realize that a portable system is different. It some cases the console-like games have worked though, like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, the highest rated game for PSP.

And I don't know if DS is annihilating the competition, true it's almost doubling the sales of the PSP, but when you think that before the PSP, there was NO competition in the handheld market since Nintendo has always had a monopoly with handhelds, I think Sony should be proud of the 33% market share they have.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 06:42 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Kardinal
Considering that Playstation 2 is the most sucessful console ever released, you can't knock them for thinking that a portable version would have worked just as well. It just didn't turn out that way and I don't think it's Sony's fault, it's more the developers who like someone said don't realize that a portable system is different. It some cases the console-like games have worked though, like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, the highest rated game for PSP.

And I don't know if DS is annihilating the competition, true it's almost doubling the sales of the PSP, but when you think that before the PSP, there was NO competition in the handheld market since Nintendo has always had a monopoly with handhelds, I think Sony should be proud of the 33% market share they have.

Hardware it might 'only' be doubling. Software wise, the difference is astonishing. Meanwhile, Sony have cancelled UMD as a failed product. It's not gone well.

Anyway, you say it's not Sony's fault- well, if Nintendo had the vision, so could Sony have done. They got it wrong and they've paid.

BtVS

Old Post May 8th, 2007 06:46 PM
Kardinal

UMD hasn't been "cancelled" in any respect. UMD movies have been reduced by other studios, but Sony Pictures continues to support the format. Just because something isn't seen outside Sony products, doesn't make it a failure. It's still doing what it was intended to do for the PSP, the movie aspect just didn't catch on.

Since the only good games for Nintendo systems usually come from Nintendo themselves, they don't have to rely on other developers to make crappy ports like they do for PSP. While Sony has strong first party developers, games like Gran Turismo and Shadow of Colossus, don't translate to portable nearly as well as games like Mario. The only thing you can fault Sony with is not developing agressively enough in-house for the PSP, but that'll change with God of War: Chains of Olympus.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 07:15 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

For me Handheld have always been about basic gaming when I'm away from my consoles or PC.

Never understood why the big deal with better graphics and more power pack into a small gaming device. Last year I was considering getting either a PSP or a DS Lite. When all of the sudden the DS Lite exploded in the high demand market. The games for the DS look so much more fun than the PSP.

I really don't care what games or mediocre movies the PSP may have. It's just not appealing to me. I was glad to get a DS lite and my only regret is losing it. I'll get another in due time.

Old Post May 8th, 2007 07:16 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote