KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » we really need a versus anything forum

should we have a versus anything forum
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
yes 16 57.14%
no 12 42.86%
Total: 28 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

we really need a versus anything forum
Started by: fanboy 1988

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
fanboy 1988

quote:
If you don't like my thread closing decisions, well, you can thank the idiots who have proven time and again that a Versus Anything forum would fail.

"Master Chief doesn't exist in Star Wars, so Yoda can't use the Force on him!"

Hand out warnings for spamming then..But according to your logic it's impossible to compare two characters from different universes. Which just isn't true... Read my first post

quote:
But if you're going to complain about my moderator decisions and say it's my fault, then I think you're going to find that I hate the Vs. forums about as much as anybody.

Nobody likes the comic book vs forum Right roll eyes (sarcastic) ..............Then why is there a new post there just about every minute, it's one of the most active forums on this site...

quote:
Now a few of you have said that all you get out of versus forums is "bitching and complaining". Yet "bitching and complaining" come wholesale in the general discussion forum where politics, religion and world issues are discussed with a rather "fiery passion" I might add. If such a manner of behavior can be tolerated then surely a versus forum for everything can be tolerated as well.

Exactly, people single out the vs forums and say there nothing but a huge spam fest, take a look at the OT forum, or the general discussion forum, it's littered with nuthuggers that don't debate but argue and spam.. I'm not saying this shit doesn't happen in the versus forum sometimes, but it's not the only place, and it's certainly not the worst one off

Old Post May 15th, 2007 04:50 AM
fanboy 1988 is currently offline Click here to Send fanboy 1988 a Private Message Find more posts by fanboy 1988 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Barker
Thorin Fan Club President

The Vs. forums are more trouble than they're worth, that's what.

please respond to my PM Thorin

Old Post May 15th, 2007 05:01 AM
Barker is currently offline Click here to Send Barker a Private Message Find more posts by Barker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BakaXero
Free SUGAR!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
Hand out warnings for spamming then..But according to your logic it's impossible to compare two characters from different universes. Which just isn't true... Read my first post

Nobody likes the comic book vs forum Right roll eyes (sarcastic) ..............Then why is there a new post there just about every minute, it's one of the most active forums on this site...

Exactly, people single out the vs forums and say there nothing but a huge spam fest, take a look at the OT forum, or the general discussion forum, it's littered with nuthuggers that don't debate but argue and spam.. I'm not saying this shit doesn't happen in the versus forum sometimes, but it's not the only place, and it's certainly not the worst one off

As much as i love the genres seperately, I find the idea of comparing their abilities a bit pointless. The characters were designed with each their own strength and weaknesses. The purpose of that is to make the characters interesting. This allows for dramatic and interesting plots. Comparing different characters is stupid because what your basically doing is saying on author/creator is shitter then another because their characters are not good enough against the other. I could make the world's strongest character and the world's shittest plot, but who would read or watch my material? NO ONE! because it'd be pointless cause the story would lack depth and story, which would make an all round peice of shit.
you say the GDF and the OTF is filled with crap, you may be half right about the OTF, but there there stuff people debate there at least involves more intellect, well not so much for the OTF, but I find their arguments less pointless.

Quick question. How many of the characters in the comic vs forum are compared with similar abilities, rank or status?

Considering that the comic book forum has a small post to thread ratio. I highly doubt that half the threads are intelectual or reasonable match-ups. Why the hell is the Karate kid and Chuck Norris in there?

Old Post May 15th, 2007 10:36 AM
BakaXero is currently offline Click here to Send BakaXero a Private Message Find more posts by BakaXero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Oh, let's just start rolling our eyes at the guy who knows this all better than you. Okay, go for it.

Nobody intellectual likes the Vs. forums. Not just the Comic Book Vs., but all of them. They're more trouble than they're worth.

I can't just hand out warnings left and right for people saying something silly, because that would be ridiculous. I'd quickly become the most hated person on KMC, because the smart people are outnumbered by the not-so-smart.

The OTF is made for it, so comparing a Vs. forum to the OTF is hardly a good example. Versus forums are meant for debating, but that rarely happens. It always resorts to bashing and is all together quite boring for me to go in, tell people to knock it off, and go.

Old Post May 15th, 2007 01:36 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

versus forums are like the special olympics. everybody wins!

http://thebestaround.ytmnd.com/

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post May 15th, 2007 01:58 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

Re: we really need a versus anything forum

for the people that say it's impossible to compare someone form lets say Star Wars to someone from LOTR cause there from different universe's. Take a look at the comic book versus forum, people compare characters from different universe's there all the time, Superman vs Thor, Lobo vs Gladiator, Batman vs Captain America.. It's done all the time in a way that makes sense to.

How would you compare Luke Skywalker to Aragorn, honestly? Or Mario to the Hulk? The only way the vs forums even function properly is because each one is bound to set rules, Star Wars threads are bound to Star Wars rules, Comic threads are bound to comics rules, you start mixing them up and you have rules going everywhere, eg Master Chief vs Yoda, Yoda is at a supreme advantage seeing as he has the force and a lightsaber, either you give Master Chief the force to make it remotely even, or remove Yoda's force use, but you've interferred with the whole balance then. erm

Old Post May 15th, 2007 01:58 PM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

Re: Re: we really need a versus anything forum

Originally posted by Mišt
How would you compare Luke Skywalker to Aragorn, honestly? Or Mario to the Hulk? The only way the vs forums even function properly is because each one is bound to set rules, Star Wars threads are bound to Star Wars rules, Comic threads are bound to comics rules, you start mixing them up and you have rules going everywhere, eg Master Chief vs Yoda, Yoda is at a supreme advantage seeing as he has the force and a lightsaber, either you give Master Chief the force to make it remotely even, or remove Yoda's force use, but you've interferred with the whole balance then. erm

As i mentioned earlier.What's the difference between that and comparing Crash Bandicoot to Solid Snake?Both are game charcters but are from different universes.Just because a characters come from comics or games doesn't put them in the same universe as other characters from the same genre.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post May 15th, 2007 10:15 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

Originally posted by Lana
Comic Book versus is not the most active forum on here at all. That would be the OTF.

That depends on the time of day.Both are close in activity.As of right now the OTF has 11 viewers and the comic vs forum has 9.Not that big of a difference.Like I said it's proabably more active than the majority if not all.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post May 15th, 2007 10:21 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I guess we should just get rid of the VG Vs., on that logic.

Old Post May 15th, 2007 11:02 PM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

I wouldn't complain...

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post May 15th, 2007 11:09 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumanMovieGuide
Whoa!

I agree 100% we should have a versus forum that involves TV/movie/video game/comic book related characters. Now the general complaint I see of why that can't happen around here are:

1. You can't compare the two

2. I hate vs threads

Will I'll show how you can solve the first problem. A cross match up might be hard to decide the winner if given the names alone. But if guidelines are given about the fight, it makes it much more easier to decide. Here are few examples:

Master Chief vs Yoda (our moderator friend's match up). The galaxy in which the Halo events and the galaxy in which the Star Wars events occur are in the same universe. So the force exist here as well as wookies, brutes and everything else featured in those two franchises. Master Chief can do everything he displayed in the games. Yoda can do everything he displayed in the movies.

Goku vs Mario. Fight takes place in the DBZ universe. Anyone who knows about the DBZ universe would know that ANYTHING in it can learn how to fly and shoot fireballs (which Mario already knows how to do). Whether it's an alien, human, or deer as long as they're skill enough and powerful enough. Mario has his abilities to become various battle modes via item absorbtion (leaf, feather, flower, metel box, etc) and his point bar gives you an idea how powerful he is. Fight takes place after Mario amps up his point bar by killing Frieza, Cell, and Buu.

Bart Simpson vs Ryu. Ryu at his power peak (Marvel vs Capcom would probably be this) against Bart Simpson. Bart can alter his self into his various forms he displayed in the shows and games (Bart the wizard, Stretch Dude, both the Batman and Superman versions of Bartman, etc) Superman Bartman mostly exist in the games, alot of them in the NES, SNES consoles. So looking at how powerful the Street Fighter characters became from Street Fighter for the SNES to MvsC, use that same power upgrades on NES, SNES Bartman.

And since how there are people who probably knows these characters and universes alot better than I do, shouldn't be "impossible" to decide an outcome. There was another site where there was a Goku vs Superman vs Chuck Norris vs Jesus vs Bruce Lee vs Mr. Rogers thread. And believe it or not, people were able to debate and decide the outcome. FYI given your reasoning, it would be impossible to EVER decide which video game characters can beat one another, because the overall determining factor of how tough a video game character becomes depends on the people playing the character. Also if people have trouble deciding who can beat who, had you ever thought that the people can simply skip that thread and move onto the next one instead?

quote:
Considering that the comic book forum has a small post to thread ratio.

Compared to what? The ratio looks about the same to me compared to the other forums. A "Goku vs Superman" thread had 163 post. 213+ if you count other "Goku vs Superman" threads that I found. Small ratio indeed.

quote:
As much as i love the genres seperately, I find the idea of comparing their abilities a bit pointless. The characters were designed with each their own strength and weaknesses. The purpose of that is to make the characters interesting. This allows for dramatic and interesting plots. Comparing different characters is stupid because what your basically doing is saying on author/creator is shitter then another because their characters are not good enough against the other. I could make the world's strongest character and the world's shittest plot, but who would read or watch my material? NO ONE! because it'd be pointless cause the story would lack depth and story, which would make an all round peice of shit.

Okay what are you talking about? We're just taking two characters and deciding who can beat who. Not making a movie of where the two characters go through tons mystical journeys and character developments. Don't get me started on that whole "offend creator/author" defense. If I created my own characters. Character A is a street leveler like Wolverine, and character B is the guardian of the planet. Then someone made their own characters whose on par with A and B. I wouldn't be offended if people say that person's B can beat my A, because I'll probably agree with them. Then there's the part that these creators/authors should already feel their characters are "crappy" because people are saying this comic character can beat that comic character. Makes no difference what medium are they from.

Originally posted by Captain REX
Nobody intellectual likes the Vs. forums. Not just the Comic Book Vs., but all of them. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Narrow minded here are we? I've seen vs threads on other sites than this one, and the majority of people don't really take them that seriously. There were numerous people on the comic vs forum that included joke weaknesses and vulnerabilities that were in the comics. We don't all have to be serious.

Also you guys are exaggerating the bashing that goes around there. Compared to bashing that happens on other sites on general topics, it's very tamed there. Most of the bashing I see there consist of two types. Bashing the medium which they came from. For example in a movie Ghostrider vs Smallville Clark Kent thread, the bashing was of how much they dislike the Ghostrider film and the show Smallville. The second type is bashing of the character. For example some people don't like Sentry, and calling his feats PIS or CIS. Both of these bashings are going to occur whether it's Captain America vs Spiderman or Thanos vs Spongebob Squarepants.

Last edited by HumanMovieGuide on May 16th, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Old Post May 16th, 2007 12:19 AM
HumanMovieGuide is currently offline Click here to Send HumanMovieGuide a Private Message Find more posts by HumanMovieGuide Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumanMovieGuide
Whoa!

Thanks to that "no editing posts after 15 mintues rules" I'll have to make a new one post to finish up my old one.

Originally posted by Schecter
versus forums should be deleted. nothing good comes from them.

And good things come from creating government comspiracies and saying how my religion is better than yours?

Everyone here also fail to see the bigger picture. With a "versus anything" forum it will achieve two things.

1. People who wants to see vs threads will know where to go.

2. People who hate vs threads wouldn't have to worry about seeing them outside the vs forum.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 12:46 AM
HumanMovieGuide is currently offline Click here to Send HumanMovieGuide a Private Message Find more posts by HumanMovieGuide Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

...where did you come from that you can whip out all this analysis of KMC, eh?

Halo & Star Wars are not even remotely the same universe. All genres are entirely separated; they're not going to be within the same space-time continuum. Likewise with the rest of that. People would bicker with us to the end of time if we said anything remotely close...

Likewise on a rule saying 'Assume that they have all abilities.'

Ultimately, it's down to the moderators and whether or not we feel we or anyone else could handle the mess. We decided 'No' months and months ago.

Last edited by REXXXX on May 16th, 2007 at 05:08 AM

Old Post May 16th, 2007 05:05 AM
HumanMovieGuide
Whoa!

Halo & Star Wars are not even remotely the same universe. All genres are entirely separated; they're not going to be within the same space-time continuum. Likewise with the rest of that. People would bicker with us to the end of time if we said anything remotely close...

I've never claimed they were from the same universe. I'm aware all these people are from different universes. I'm also aware most comic heroines are from their own little universe. Like how Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc are all from New York, yet none of them had ever encountered or even know one another until the creators feel like doing a crossover. I was merely giving out an example of how to compare the two. And if you thought I was suggesting you guys give out the guidelines. I would had said no to that idea. I meant the people who made the thread give out the guidelines. You know those same people who came up with the match, lets you know their prep time, where it takes place, any special condition, what not, etc. So one match might have Master Chief being transported to Star Wars universe, another might have Yoda being transported to Halo universe, and another might have the merging of both worlds. Nothing on the forum will be definite, just what the so thread outlines. You could balance, or unbalance a match like this. People could get creative this way. And as I said before, if people have trouble deciding a result, they can simply skip that thread and move onto the next. I also have to say for people who hate vs threads, you seem to be making a big deal out of it.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 07:39 AM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, "vs. anything" forums work well in every other forum on the damn planet that has them.

The only problem I see is that the existing Mods don't want to have to go through the trouble of moderating them. However, I think that if the current Mods don't feel up the task, why not just promote some of our senior, respectable members to do it?

Or at least do a test trial, have a Vs. everything forum for a week and observe the results, then form conclusions on how much trouble or lack there of will be started.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 07:40 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fanboy 1988

Nobody's saying they are from the same universe... But how do two characters from the same genre (video games for example) make there universe's any more related?? it doesn't, Mario and Dante are from the same genre but there universe's couldn't be any more different.

Old Post May 16th, 2007 08:18 AM
fanboy 1988 is currently offline Click here to Send fanboy 1988 a Private Message Find more posts by fanboy 1988 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There are many practical difficulties. For example, a vs. anything forum would technically be able to have any of the fights that happen in existing vs. forums. But clear opinion on this area has been that the existing patrons want only their own areas to have that kind of contest allowed, and meanwhile nor do they want to lose their distinct sections in a merger.

The other sites have them is pretty irrelevant. We're only interested in judging the situation we have here, and the heavy consensus has been that it is simply not worth it. It really adds little ot the forums and is a disproportionately awkward thing to maintain.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 16th, 2007 10:32 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
proudamerican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then Cap and Toad can win more fights. I am in

Old Post May 16th, 2007 12:55 PM
proudamerican is currently offline Click here to Send proudamerican a Private Message Find more posts by proudamerican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Schecter
Restricted

Account Restricted

lol

"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here."

Old Post May 16th, 2007 05:55 PM
Schecter is currently offline Click here to Send Schecter a Private Message Find more posts by Schecter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumanMovieGuide
Whoa!

Originally posted by Ushgarak
It really adds little ot the forums and is a disproportionately awkward thing to maintain.

If people like it and it becomes a success. We can simply delete all the other vs forums since they aren't necessary anymore. We'll only have to watch over one big forum instead of many little ones.

Originally posted by proudamerican
Then Cap and Toad can win more fights. I am in

They certainly can depending on how people make the match ups.

On a unrelated note: How do you put more than one quotes on your replies without opening a second window?

Old Post May 16th, 2007 06:39 PM